Fangames and Copyright

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Fangames and Copyright

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

Eclectic gaming wrote:I'm no lawyer, but going by the wikipedia quote he can use it under fair use of copyrighted material.

Yes, FF music is copyrighted. That doesn't immediately mean you can't use it though.

It is illegal under all definitions as you need express consent from the copyright owner to use based on the GPL (General Public Use License)
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm

So he would need to contact them before using any FF music?
Google Eclectic Gaming....I dare you. Or Sharpened Steel, you can google that too. Hehehehe.

eclectic-gaming.weebly.com/

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Eclectic gaming wrote:So he would need to contact them before using any FF music?

Correct, he would need to contact Square Enix since the copyright moved along with the merger. I really doubt they would let him use it for free and I don't think it would be worth the price to make a game with it.
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 pm

I wouldn't even think twice about caring if something is copyrighted or not unless you plan on selling the game. Of course I woulnd't recommend blatant piracy or encouragement of privacy. Kinda hard to do that in an 001 game anyway. It's not like users that download your game can rip the music out of it unless they have the know-how, but that's nought to do with 001 at that point.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Yeah, it is infringing on copyright, but there are tonnes of fangames already made in 001. As long as you don't make money from it in any way, it's not a big deal.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:00 pm

So, in short, yes, they CAN tell you to cease and desist at any time, but as long as it's a non-commercial product, they probably won't bother.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 pm

This ^^

Previous

Return to Games In Progress