Re: Farmyard Madness - FREE to PLAY!

Postby Lee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:15 am

Ah, fair enough ;).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 am

Reccomended this to a friend, I'll see if he tried it.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:11 am

Happy New Year!

So... The Christmas expansion wasn't released, obviously. There has also been no work on a patch for Farmyard Madness either and there probably won't be. There's been a lot of changes in my life recently and 2013 is going to be a very busy year for me so I can only really set aside a bit of time to work on Jibble Odyssey and that's about it. Farmyard Madness will be regarded as a completed game and left at that, with no patches or further support for it.

In other news; I recently discovered some old backup discs that I had created way back in 2007 and thought it would be a good idea to get the data off the discs (as they were in very poor condition) and make an archive of all my old work. In doing so I found a lot of projects that I'd forgot I'd made and many old games that I thought I'd lost. So, just for the fun of it really, I put together a timeline of all the games I've ever created from way back in 2005 till now. The timeline is not 100% accurate as a lot of the dates are gone by when files were created and/or when posts were made on forums like 001. There are also one or two projects that I remember working on but I no longer have any files left of them (represented by the smaller greyed out ones). For some of you these projects will ring a few bells and for others you'll be able to see why I used to have a reputation of starting ambitious projects and then never finishing them :P. Other games (like my more recent 'Catch the Animal' and 'Mech-ey' were cancelled because of ideas falling short or because they weren't really that interesting and sure enough they became the catalyst for my much more successful titles like Farmyard Madness and Jibble Odyssey).

Timeline of Lee's games

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Cool!

The Dark Knight from 2008... based on the movie?

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Wonderland wrote:The Dark Knight from 2008... based on the movie?

Nope. Funny coincidence though :lol:.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Wow! Excellent job! I never knew you worked on so many of these projects.

Lee
001 Support

Re: Farmyard Madness [OPEN SOURCE]

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:50 am

Remember this? Well now it's going open source! To my knowledge, this will be the first completed 001 game that will be offered to the community as a fully open-sourced project - allowing 001 users to modify and use bits of the game however they choose (with a few restrictions in regards to the assets).

Why?

Why not? It's public knowledge that I've not been entirely happy with this project. At the time, platforming was still relatively new to 001 and there was a lot I wasn't able to do that I wanted. It's something that has bothered me and continues to bother me to this day. I've tried to bury this project and forget it ever happened but despite its failings it was a very important learning curve for me and it helped revitalise my passion for video games and that maybe I could create them. I do intend to re-visit this project in the future, when 001 and I myself are up for the challenge, until then I see no reason to keep this project buried any longer. I think this project could be quite useful for many 001 users, if not to only help people learn from some of the mistakes I made.

Is this really open source?

Yes! The full 001 project will be available for people to modify and use however they like (except for some asset restrictions that I mentioned above). All of the details will be available once the project is released.

Where is it then?

I can't currently release the project at this time. This project is fairly old and it hasn't transitioned over too well in the latest version of 001. Lots of glitches have cropped up and some things have broken entirely, so I need to go through it and fix all of these problems before I can release the project to the community. Not only that but some of the events I used back then are now considered legacy and, although they still work, it'd be better for me to replace them with what is currently being used to make it easier for users. I'm also making sure that everything is properly commented so that users will be able to understand how it all fits together - as it would be kind of useless if no-one understood how it works :P.

So...I can continue developing it then?

Sure! Despite this being marked as a "completed" project, it's not really complete in my eyes (again, it's not the way I originally envisioned it to be). Since this is open source you'll be able to make any additions/changes to the game you'd like or you may just decide to use some of the scripting for your own projects. You can release any modifications under the 'Farmyard Madness' name too, so if you wanted to create an expansion pack or a 'Deluxe Edition' then you can do that. Again, there will be full terms of use once the project is released.

What about the re-make?

I do plan on re-visiting this game myself at some point, as I'd like my original idea to be realised. This won't be happening any time soon however, as both 001 and myself are not up to the task just yet. Plus I have other projects that I want to complete beforehand anyway.

Will you be updating the project?

Kind of. I use this project from time to time as a playground for new ideas and 001 features. I may decide to release these as updates if I feel others could benefit from it/would like it. So, say I created a really cool script that adds a new game play mechanic or something then I may release this in the form of an update to the project. Other things like practising my graphical work and voice acting may also translate into updates to the project. But this is ultimately a broken game (in my eyes) and you can't really polish a turd so any changes I make will never result in the game becoming what I've envisioned, hence why I intend to re-build the game from scratch at some point.

EDIT: Re-posted to avoid confusion with April Fools day - was rather dumb of me to post it yesterday. This is a legitimate thing that's happening, not a crude April Fools joke :P.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Thu May 08, 2014 2:44 am

Wow! First open source game publicly released on 001. Has anyone made a "hack" version yet?
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu May 08, 2014 4:52 am

Fireleaf wrote:Wow! First open source game publicly released on 001. Has anyone made a "hack" version yet?

No, as it's not yet available :P. There's a lot of glitches with the transition to the new version and I want to make sure they're all fixed, while also cleaning up some scripts and making sure everything is properly commented to make it more accessible to various users. I can't say when this will be released (except sometime this year) as it's not very high priority.

Previous

Return to Completed Games