Farmyard Madness [OPEN SOURCE]

For completed games made with 001.
Lee
001 Support

Re: Farmyard Madness - BUY IT NOW!

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 am

Hey guys. Just wanted to drop in and let you know what's going on. I haven't been posting much lately and that's because things have been rather hectic in my life at the moment.

Catch the Animal was put on hold a while ago and will remain on hold for a while as I've started working on a new project. Catching games are quite common on the mobile platforms so I wanted to create something a little more original and unique. I don't want to go into too much detail on this new game yet so I'll just leave the logo, so you at least know what the game is called:

It's a very simple and cute little game. Very easy to script, in fact that's properly the easiest part of the entire game. What's different about this game is that it will have actual cut-scenes with graphics specifically made for the cut-scenes and will have some voice over work as well (something that FM really could have done with). Thanks to those that purchased a copy of Farmyard Madness I've been able to buy myself a professional microphone to record sound effects and do voice over work that will appear in this game and future games as well, which is very exciting.

Now, let's get back to Farmyard Madness. I've decided to create the Christmas add-on pack and hope to start on it as soon as [Censored] is out of the way. The Christmas add-on pack will feature 16 new levels in a new storyline, separate from the main games storyline, as well as introduce some new features/changes for the main game as well. Some of these new features/changes include:

- Removing the 'Statistics' dialog and programming the HUD to drop down on a key press so players can quickly see their game stats without pausing the game.
- Adding an Options dialog to allow users to change sound/music, video options, etc.
- Adding support for AZERTY keyboard layouts (as requested by a Brazilian customer).
- Adding voice overs to character dialogue.
- Adding narration to opening/ending story.
- Restoring the mouse pointer while in-game to allow users to click the 'X' button to close (as requested by a few customers).

The Christmas add-on pack will be a FREE download but as it's an add-on pack it will require the full game in order for it to run properly. I may add some more things and make a few more tweaks to the main game but I won't know until I start working on it, as right now my attention is focussed on [Censored].

You're also welcome to provide your own suggestions for the Christmas add-on pack and I'll add them to my list. So if there is anything in Farmyard Madness that you'd like changed/added let me know and I'll see what I can do ;).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Lee, you really progressed since I last checked this thread. You gained my complete support and confidence. You're my hero :o

But seriously, congratulations for pulling it off. I hope your game gets a lot of sales on the market! Also, Greenlight. Please.

PS: Sorry for the beta test. I'm sure I could have been better but for some reason I always get stripped off my free time, :lol: . Again, sorry.

EDIT: Also, don't delete those beta versions off your hard drive(s?). Save your development history, it will be very useful down the road if you choose to produce more games or if you decide to make a special edition or something like that. Or just for preservation. I sighed when I remembered that I didn't have the beta installer anymore, haha.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:22 am

He's right - get on Steam dude!

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 am

Aleff Correa wrote:Lee, you really progressed since I last checked this thread. You gained my complete support and confidence. You're my hero :o

PS: Sorry for the beta test. I'm sure I could have been better but for some reason I always get stripped off my free time, :lol: . Again, sorry.

EDIT: Also, don't delete those beta versions off your hard drive(s?). Save your development history, it will be very useful down the road if you choose to produce more games or if you decide to make a special edition or something like that. Or just for preservation. I sighed when I remembered that I didn't have the beta installer anymore, haha.

I thought you did alright and you've been appropriately credited in the game, along with all the other beta testers, as you all did a great job. I'm just glad I was finally able to finish a big project like this, let alone one worthy of selling! And don't worry about the history of Farmyard Madness as it's well preserved. I have done a little cleaning up of all the backups but I've made sure to keep all of the landmarks, such as the very first Alpha version and the various Beta versions as well.

Aleff Correa wrote:But seriously, congratulations for pulling it off. I hope your game gets a lot of sales on the market! Also, Greenlight. Please.

Wonderland wrote:He's right - get on Steam dude!

Believe me I would like to but Greenlight isn't really indie-dev friendly (which is ironic as its main purpose is supposed to be for indie game developers). Due to all the spam they received when they first set up the service they've had to put a £70 ($100) fee on all games submitted, and even after paying this fee your game is still not eligible to go on Steam until people vote on it and I don't think I'll get enough votes for it to make it onto Steam, so it'll just be a waste of money.

If you really like Farmyard Madness and want to support it then tell people about it! Tell your friends, family, co-workers, etc. Marketing is really expensive and that's where the game really falls short. The people that have played FM and bought it have all been happy with it (even completely random people who aren't connected to 001 have bought the game and thought it was great) but VERY FEW people know the game even exists! By far the most effective marketing strategy is by word of mouth. Tell people to visit the web site or the Facebook page or watch the YouTube trailer or download a copy of the demo, etc. If you were to go into school/work and start telling your friends/co-workers about a game called Farmyard Madness people might wonder what it is. Some might even decide to google it and may stumble across the web site, Facebook page or even this thread. They may decide to download the demo and then tell their friends about the game, who then tell their friends, who then tell their friends - you can see where this is going. This helps to get the game noticed and will not only help out FM but will also help me to build an audience so that when I announce future projects, like [Censored], people will actually know about it. I made Farmyard Madness to be played, not to sit on a shelf and be admired from a distance. I want people to play the game and have fun playing it, as I had fun making it but that won't happen when nobody knows about it!

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Blogs make for good publicity too. ;)
Who should I really listen to?

Lee
001 Support

Re: Farmyard Madness - FREE 2 PLAY! - Friday 16th

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm

metomunc wrote:Blogs make for good publicity too. ;)

That they do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farmyard Madness FREE 2 PLAY today! Read bottom of post!

What was originally going to be a new wave of marketing for Farmyard Madness soon became something else entirely. On Sunday, after speaking with a few friends, I decided that Farmyard Madness would become FREE to play (or "FREE 2 PLAY"). On Friday the 16th you'll be able to download a full copy of Farmyard Madness from the Alomerain web site and from the 001 web site at no cost whatsoever. Rather than spending the money earned from FM on new marketing, that may or may not pay off, I've decided to hold onto the money and invest it in new software/equipment to make my future projects better. I already mentioned, a while back, that I purchased a professional studio microphone to record voice overs and sound effects for future projects. [Censored] is the first to make use of it and it really has made a big impact on the game, so rather than spending what little I have left on marketing, I will instead hold onto it to pay for resources that I can make use of in future projects. With FM sales dwindling in recent weeks and with [Censored] on the way I decided that FM should be released for FREE so that more people have a chance to play the game - as the game was made to be played after all!

A big thanks is in order for all of those that actually purchased a copy of Farmyard Madness, as the money has really helped make [Censored] and future projects better :D!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farmyard Madness Christmas Special

Something else that was discussed on Sunday was the Christmas Special, that has been planned for FM for quite some time. After much discussion it was decided that releasing the Christmas Special as a separate game would be better than an add-on pack for the main game. The reason being that the Christmas Special is not related to the main games story at all and adding extra levels to the already big FM project would make creating it a little more awkward for me (as the time it takes to load in all the resources can really slow things down when testing and so forth). The aim is obviously to get the Christmas Special out before Christmas but I'm still very much focussed on [Censored] at this point in time and I'm not sure how long it will take for me to complete it, so it's still an uncertainty whether or not the Christmas Special will be available before Christmas or not. I will be sure to keep you guys updated.

That's all from me. I will start to be a bit more active again around the forums as I've finally started to feel better from this damn flu that I've had for what seems like forever!

16/11/2012: As promised Farmyard Madness is now available at no cost whatsoever! You can download it from the 001 web site here: http://www.engine001.com/games/Farmyard+Madness_2312.htm - Updates to the Farmyard Madness web site are uploading now but I still need to update all the various banners (such as those on the first page of this thread and my signature/avatar). Please rate and comment if you play the game, as feedback is always greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you encounter any problems (if you're downloading the game from the 001 web site) as I had to re-build the game in the latest version to avoid issues with the mouse.

Also, if you were one of those that purchased Farmyard Madness then you will be able to obtain a FREE copy of [Censored] for your iPhone/iPod Touch once it's released...If you're interested that is :P!

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Re: Farmyard Madness - FREE to PLAY!

Postby Aleff Correa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 am

That was unexpected :o

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Do you want a full report? Are you going to work on this at all anymore?
Because I do have some suggestions.
1. - A way to turn the music off.
2. - When you die, are all the vegatables and hearts that you obtained, taken away?
Because I died and came back on one level, and the heart that was there, I could retrieve again, die, retrieve again, die ect.
3. - I now have over 50 lives, mostly from selling turnips, you get tons, and it's only 2 a life.
This makes the game very easy, and it's not like you die often anyways. (I know later stages asre harder.)
(These are mostly aesthetic.)
4. - Double jump essentially cuts certain levels in half. but that's pretty major to change, so whatever.
5. - The jumping on one wall seems to be a late addition, as most levels are built so that you can jump back and forth with two walls.
6. - The icicles on the cavern ceilings look like they would hurt you, but they don't, not a big deal.
7. - When the gold key spawns, it is sometimes off-screen, could we have an arrow or something so we know where to find it?
Glad you made the game free, hope this brings you some publicity for future games.
Anyway, I enjoy the game very much, and I'm on Act 2 and near the end of it.
(I got in the credits, yay!)

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Aleff Correa wrote:That was unexpected

Haha, yeah. I think I made the right decision though. Don't you agree ;)?

Indiana 266 wrote:1. - A way to turn the music off.

You don't like the music? :(

Indiana 266 wrote:2. - When you die, are all the vegatables and hearts that you obtained, taken away? Because I died and came back on one level, and the heart that was there, I could retrieve again, die, retrieve again, die ect.

Vegetables aren't. It's sort of a cheat as I didn't want to add 6 extra variables to store the vegetables that you've collected on the level. If I had then I would've reset those values so that you'd lose all the vegetables you'd collected (on that level) when you die. Hearts are taken away when you die as they're lives but the levels are reset when you re-spawn so hearts do re-appear back on the level (along with everything else).

Indiana 266 wrote:3. - I now have over 50 lives, mostly from selling turnips, you get tons, and it's only 2 a life. This makes the game very easy, and it's not like you die often anyways. (I know later stages asre harder.)

Damn! I was meaning to change that before release. It was kept low mainly for testing purposes and I forgot to change it :lol:!

Indiana 266 wrote:4. - Double jump essentially cuts certain levels in half. but that's pretty major to change, so whatever.

A lot of the levels are poorly designed to be honest as level design is not one of my strong points. I could have kept tweaking the levels (as I was doing near the end) but then the game wouldn't have been released. One of the things I've started looking into a lot since, as good level design is essential for any game.

Indiana 266 wrote:5. - The jumping on one wall seems to be a late addition, as most levels are built so that you can jump back and forth with two walls.

Kind of, yeah. Wall jumping was always going to be against two walls but when I discovered you could just scale a single wall I decided to keep it in as some people were having difficulty with the wall jumping and being able to scale a singular wall made things much simpler.

Indiana 266 wrote:6. - The icicles on the cavern ceilings look like they would hurt you, but they don't, not a big deal.

Haha. I realised that myself after the game had been released. If I make a patch this will certainly be something that is changed.

Indiana 266 wrote:Glad you made the game free, hope this brings you some publicity for future games. Anyway, I enjoy the game very much, and I'm on Act 2 and near the end of it. (I got in the credits, yay!)

It would be nice :P! and I'm glad you like the game. If enough people are interested I could start working on an update to address these issues and several other things that I'm not personally happy with. We'll see.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 am

No, I like the music, I was just playing other music at the time, so both were playing over each other.

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Games