Ball Bouncer v1 Released!

For completed games made with 001.
Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Ball Bouncer v1 Released!

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 am

Ball Bouncer!
This is a free to play game brought to you by Mr.Numbers Productions.

The goal of the game is very simple, using your mouse bounce the ball from the start to the finish. Though this sounds easy enough some levels may be fairly difficult at first to complete.

These are the different obstacles in game which will either aid you, or kill you while playing:
- Lava
- Angles
- Balls
- Color Changers
- Color-Blocking walls (Must be the same color to pass through)
- Falling out of the map
- Wormholes
- Coins

Your final score is determined by how many times you bounce off of the wall, and how many coins are collected. Once the game is beaten, you are then given the option to send your Score to the leaderboard and see how well you did against everyone else who played!

There are currently 20 levels.

v1 Has been released!
Click HERE to go to the download page.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Scrimpstick

Re: Ball Bouncer

Postby Scrimpstick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 am

Wow this is a very creative and good idea, I like it a lot.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the compliment :D

Unfortunately, theres many games pretty much exactly like this out there... Hence why I'm pretty unsure about selling it :p
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Good idea, but like you said there are tons of like minded games. I could go to a site like Newgrounds or Kongregate and more than likely find 10+ in the first few pages.

On the other hand you were able to do what took them months in hours...I think you deserve a hearty back pat.
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Very Impressive! I like the interface/transition work. How did you get the actor to ricochet off walls based on angle of impact?
If you stylized it correctly you could make something better than Angry Birds with this. :D
I might PM you some ideas later ...

Oh and I especially like the different tones it makes when it bounces off the walls. Is there a system to that or is it randomized?
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 am

The sounds are just using a feature under sounds which allow pitch-randomization. Forget the name heh.

The ricochet was fairly easy, basically when it collides into a wall it uses a little formula I quickly came up with:
Geometry.Opposite(Direction) + ((Angle - Direction) * 2)

Direction is the angle that the ball is moving (In radians) and angle is an angle (Also in radians) which is related to the side of the wall you hit. If you hit the left side of the wall, it will be 0, or 3.14xxx if you hit the right side of the wall.
I actually just finished making a 99.99% bug-less version which does all the previously pre-defined stuff in the fields automatically, and also supports hitting the corner of blocks and will throw it in the proper direction. (Basically I re-made some very basic bouncing physics)

To anyone who is interested, heres the custom event I use for when the player hits the wall. (placed inside a zone) Be warned, the script is a mess and is quite large, it sets the variable "Direction" to the direction it needs to be moved too - this is then applied to the ball using a "When" loop inside the main player (ball)
WARNING: Advanced scripting ahead! :P
(This is the newer version that supports hitting the corners of walls, and having the ball projected properly)
http://www.engine001.com/script/rYlfNq

Heres a little video showing you the power of this script :D Yes, it broke a couple times but that is to be expected, and hence why I called it 99.99% bugless :P

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm

That script ... wow.
Yeah it looks like every now and then it misses that it is hitting a solid and passes through the wall object/actor. But that is very cool! It's no wonder you're a beta tester.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 am

Heh, the script is pretty complex and awesome :P I even discovered a bug within the script, which after it being fixed I have yet to see the script bug up which is absolutely awesome!

Btw, this game will be released for free to the public as the idea is way too generic to be sold.

I have also added support for "Ball" actors which bounce the actor properly, and also actors which can be placed in corners.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 am

Genuinely impressed dude.

I was dreaming the other day about making a reverse Pong mini game, where you have a little bit of turning power over the ball instead of controlling the paddles. I however could not wrap my brain around the collision calculations. But now, I'm still probably never gonna make it but at least I know it's possible.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Well, thanks to a giant hand-full of fixes, I present to you, the bugless version! (When not at insane speeds of course :P)

Next

Return to Completed Games