Deflect - Out Now!

For completed games made with 001.
Lee
001 Support

Deflect - Out Now!

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Deflect

VOTE ON STEAM GREENLIGHT: Follow the link in my signature!

A minimal 2D puzzle game in which players place, stack and merge different-shaped pieces to deflect particles. Deflect is available for Windows® PCs, at any price!

DOWNLOAD DEFLECT ON 001 WEB SITE HERE: http://engine001.com/games/Deflect_3579.htm

WATCH TRAILER HERE: https://youtu.be/ht7W_SfcEFs

screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png
screenshot5.png
screenshot6.png
screenshot7.png
screenshot8.png
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Kilatorian
001 Support

Re: MIND MERGE - v0.3A

Postby Kilatorian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Hey, this is pretty cool. I played through all seven of the puzzles, it definitely had me thinking in different ways. The doubling up of the shapes concept is cool. The hardest puzzle for me was 5, took a minute to figure out how those three-way shapes are used. Overall, I like it.

So far your goal of teaching the game mechanics through level design is done nicely. As a player I could handle more game mechanics. If the last one you were considering adding is your merge idea, I don't exactly know how it works but it sounds cool, I'd say go for it.

Also, I liked how simple but smooth and sleek all the graphics felt. I'm intrigued as to what the story of this game could be.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Is there anything control wise/design wise you think could be changed to make the mechanics more clear? You mentioned the 5th puzzle which is helpful to go off of and it is probably the most difficult of the 7 so I'm glad what I see is being difficult translates for you as well.

The 3 Nodes are definitely the hardest for me to communicate. It was a complaint in earlier builds. I've been tinkering with what will be the "tutorial" levels in the game and trying to create a puzzle that really shows how they work easily.

The merge mechanic is something I believe will work very well and will give additional uses to the "2 Nodes" and "Block" nodes in particular (the latter of which can currently only be used by the Stubborn property). The idea is that you use your given nodes (that can currently just be dropped onto the grid or stacked onto existing nodes) and fuse them with other nodes to create a new shape. For example: Let's say there's a single node facing upwards and you have a corner piece facing left. If you dropped it onto that single node, it would become a 3 node, completing changing the landscape of the puzzle. Merging would behave similar to stacking, with Stubborn nodes being unable to be merged (to allow for some structure). As mentioned, the difficulty lies mostly in its implementation. Balancing it will also be quite difficult as it could potentially lead to abuse and make what should be difficult puzzles, into child's play. The only way I can think to limit them is controlling the amount of which a node can be merged to begin with and/or limiting which types of nodes can be merged.

The story so far is nuts :P. I've only got the basic plot down at the moment but setting the game inside the mind is like a free pass to do anything (like setting a game in space) and I want to take full advantage of that.

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 am

Controls and everything felt pretty smooth, it was really just the 3way that was confusing, I'm not entirely sure I understand how it works, On #5 I actually put one of the 3way nodes exactly where it needed to be the first time I played it, I just didn't realize I needed to put another on top of it until 22 times later, I didn't understand why the laser only went right after it had destroyed the first node. And I believe it was the next puzzle where you shoot it left with the 3way, I wasn't sure why it only shot it left at that certain point, but went straight through at any other point. But really, #5 took me 22 trys, and I had actually put one of the nodes on the correct spot the first time. I should have learned from previous level of the ability to stack and just tried that to see what happened. So really I think I would need to play more levels with the mechanic to see if I was able to get the hang of it in different situations.

I just thought up a couple of rough multiplayer ideas :D
Mode 1. some sort of duel mode where the two players each have a base node and a cannon (or more?) with some preplaced nodes and you gain different placable nodes over time for blocking enemy shots or redirection your shots and you try to take out the enemy base.
Mode 2. You each get 1 minute and a limited but both the same set of nodes, so it can be random every time, to make a puzzle and then it goes to a splitscreen style view and you both try to solve the other persons puzzle.

I'd love to give more suggestions but really this all felt pretty good as it is. Overall the tutorial levels are nicely done, Maybe next update you could include a non tutorial level that you consider to be more difficult just to get an idea of what post tutorial gameplay is like.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:27 am

Yeah I've already began reworking two of the tutorials to try and explain the 3 nodes better. NTs have very basic AI where basically whenever they hit the side of the grid or they come to a crossroad (like the way nodes) they will always try to turn right (if they're positive - the blue ones) or left (if they're negative - the orange ones). So when they reach a 3 node and realise they can't turn the way they're supposed to, they just go straight through instead.

When I've actually had the chance to sit down and watch someone play the game, the one thing I notice is the difficultly in seeing things from the NTs perspective, which I think is what aids the confusion. What I mean is, if I see someone approach me and they turn right, it will appear to me as they've turned left. You have to visualise it in the NTs perspective to see why they turn a certain way. Again though, I'm reworking the opening puzzles to better explain this :).

The next build will definitely have a couple of post-tutorial puzzles so I can get a better idea of how users cope with the mechanics. The next version will also have the merge mechanic, as I've finally figured out how to implement them :D!

I appreciate the suggestions for mutliplayer (the first one sounds particularly interesting) but this is very much a single player game. Users will be able to create their own puzzles and share them online though.

-----------------------------

23rd August 2016

I've updated the first post to reflect the changes being made to v0.4A - The game is really starting to come together as the mechanics have been locked in, the new art style is in place and the puzzles and story are starting to take shape. v0.4A will be the last public alpha before the game goes into closed beta (with the actual puzzles/story) - that's still a short ways off but when v0.4A is released the game will start rapidly moving forward as I'll just be concentrating on content and not worrying about the game mechanics any more :P.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 am

Looks cool man :) looking forward to seeing some story content.

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 am

Really awesome and polished design. love the style. Will have to play it
Game Coming Soon. Click Here to read about it.

Lee
001 Support

Re: Deflect - Now on Steam Greenlight!

Postby Lee » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:44 am

20th October 2016

It's been a while since I updated this topic so I should probably fill you guys in :P.

Firstly, Mind Merge is now Deflect - after a lot of feedback from players it was decided that the story of Mind Merge (along with its name) would be better suited as its own project and detached from the puzzle gameplay, which could stand on its own.

Deflect retains all of the same gameplay mechanics of Mind Merge but presented in a much simpler, cleaner fashion. All language has been removed to make it universally understood and the user interface has been reworked with future mobile ports in mind.

Deflect is also now on Steam Greenlight, has an official web site and a small gameplay trailer (see first post for details).

Deflect is now also in closed beta and I'll be sending out the new version within the next few days to those that are interested. If you are, please send me a PM and I'll give you all of the details! :)

Danny
001 Forum Master

Re: Deflect - Now on Steam Greenlight!

Postby Danny » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:29 am

Congratulations on getting the game onto Steam Greenlight! I hope things go well for you, good luck :D

Lee
001 Support

Re: Deflect - Available 12th November!

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm pleased to announce that Deflect will be available for PC, at any price, on the 12th of November 2016!

The game will be made available through Alomerain directly and also here on the 001 web site (amongst other places) so expect this topic to move into the "Completed Games" section next week :P.

The game is still going through Steam Greenlight and so will be released on Steam once it gets through!

See first post for updated screenshots and trailer.

Next

Return to Completed Games