resources

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.

resources

Postby 123 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:17 pm

Is there a site I can get Resources Like vehicles, or other stuff for the creator?

Pierre
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Pierre » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:24 pm

Unfortunately, no - at least, not at this time anyways.

Hopefully this will someday be a reality as our fanbase widens. Of course, we'll keep adding stuff ourselves through time...

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:37 pm

RPG Maker resources can be used soon. So far, on the development version of 001 I have right now, importing of characters works for RM2k.

Postby 123 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:17 pm

I'm Looking forward to trucks and vans and such

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:31 am

We can import more vehicles, right?

If so, I can create a Metal Gear for 001! My game so needs one.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:55 pm

Yeah. We could also include resources you guys make on our web-site if you wanted.

Postby 123 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:56 pm

like a resource section

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm thinking more of a fan/community driven resource site.

When the user base uploads, moderate, etc. I'm sure that, if 001 gains in popularity and the demand for resources is high, I'm thinking that a community site, where users upload content, user rate and vote, and user moderators ensure everything runs fine, would be suitable.

In fact, not long ago I was thinking whether or not to start up my own 001 resource centre. But since there's not much I know how to do (since I'm yet to experiment with trying to create new vehicles, etc.), I thought I'd leave the idea alone for a while, plus it's fine over here as it is.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:46 pm

If you were serious about making a site like that, we could give you a sub-domain. However, what is the benefit of having more than one site? I don't mind, I just want to make sure it'd actually be a good idea.

Rockpool Productions

hi there,

Postby Rockpool Productions » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:43 am

Hello,

i have my own site builder on the internet and my own website place at the moment the site place is where you pay for a pro website just how you want. If you wanted, i could give you make a free site created by us just how you want and call it 001 Resource. It comes with free domain .net and i have hosting on my ftp Upto you..
The designer of the gangsta's games

Rockpool Productions

heres the features i have

Postby Rockpool Productions » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:50 am

Guestbook, Forums, Chatroom,Download Section,Readymade graphics,special graphics & buttons designed by us, register places, unlimited pages and pictures, intro, select language screen, flash, and many more and i'll do it for you for free.
The designer of the gangsta's games

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:41 am

Rockpool, thanks for the offer, but I'm ok.

And Mike, that would be a great idea.

But at the moment, since, as far as I know, there aren't a lot of users, it's best to wait. After all, there aren't too many resources available at the moment either (but I will be trying* to making some, my games need them, and I will be prepared to share them), so a "resource centre" wouldn't be needed at the moment.
This is why I never got round to starting a resource site. Although, I'm still keeping the idea open - I suppose a resource site could possibly bring in more users, thus a larger community and fan base.

*Actually, it's quite hard to make resources, since I can only edit the image files, and they contain only parts of the game. The other files aren't editable by me at the moment. I'd love to create more character clothing, etc., but I can't do it. Would there be, in the future, tools, or even tutorials, for us to create content? Those extensions are exclusive the engine from the looks of things.

EDIT: I've decided to start programming a PHP based site. The site is a "001 resource centre". Even though, as I said above, we don't need one yet, I've decided that it would be best to start programming one now anyway, even if it doesn't get used.
I'm so glad I have a webserver on my computer.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:17 am

You can definately create clothing at the moment. Every single thing has an import feature, where you provide your own bitmaps and whatnot. Someone on gamingw suggested that we have templates. I think these would be good, but they really aren't that complicating. Infact, every single character graphic follows this: 256x64 total, 8 frames each are 32x64. First frame is standing position. Vehicles can be any size. Tile-sets are just 256x256 with every tile being 32x32.

The cool thing is there is also an export tool for everything. So you click that, and it'll spew out all the graphics associated. This way, if you really want templates, I guess you have them that way.

The Import and Export features are beneith all of the object editors. They're the "Open" and "Save" icons used in other applications.

As a side note, you can import as bitmaps, set up all the options (like the location of where they hold the weapon for characters, or the speed of the vehicle for vehicles) and export it into a single file that a user can just plop into their project.

I felt that this solution was not the best, since a lot of people seem to be confused about it. So I was also thinking of allowing people to add empty entries (so take vehicles as an example) and simply click on all the different graphics pertaining to it and load them in that way, in a more visual fashion.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:57 pm

I completely forgot about the import/export function >_<.

Zink
001 Supporter

Postby Zink » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:37 pm

It is a useful feature. I'm fooling around with it now.

Postby 123 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:52 pm

Woot woot! i have a resources forum

feel free to post any resources you wish.

http://001resources.aceboard.com

Help get the forum up and running with new stuff.

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:16 am

Actually, an actual site would be best, as there can be an "uplaod content" feature - which, of course, would be moderated.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:11 am

How is that site going?

It seems there has been 800 downloads for 001 on download.com . Unfortunately, the one on that site is fairly old, and does NOT have our web-site on the main workspace like it does now infront of the 001 logo. But I forsee a lot of new users in september, when it finally updates.

That being said, how is your site going? It might be good to have a link right on the main page like the existing forum link.

I'll be able to fix that resource bug this week, thank god. I will have Source001 back :).

Postby 123 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:37 am

I have a new forum. feel free to upload, and I have an Other Section for resources that I didn't appoint to any other section.

Could you please Upload Resources in Rar or Zip format?

http://z9.invisionfree.com/001_Resources/index.php

Zink
001 Supporter

Postby Zink » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:08 am

Why don't we just add a resource section to this site?

Postby 123 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:31 am

You can Upload On My Forum.

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:01 pm

An Official on-site site would be best, and easier to locate.

And I have a template for a resource site, very simple, but site design is second on my list. My main priority is to program the PHP for an "Upload, display, rate" system. I prefer this system then a forum upload system.

EDIT: For the record - 100th post

Postby 123 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:26 pm

You guys love to put me down. :(

Zink
001 Supporter

Postby Zink » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:51 pm

Its a nice site, 123

Postby 123 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Thank You zink, and Pierre and Mike Sign Up I'll Make You Admins So you can Help Moderate the Uploads.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:58 pm

No one at all is putting you down. They are just not agreeing with you.

The problem with a forum-based resource site is that it gets extremely unorganized. The benefit of a site designed for resources is that everything is all in one system, and one can do searches and have browsers to view graphics quickly. With a forum, it becomes extremely unorganized and confusing to locate anything in particular.

The other problem with the forum idea is that we have no way to manage it and do what we need to do. With Sim making a web-site, and putting it under our domain, we have full control and have the ability to pass it along if Sim ever "retires". If you ever stopped supporting 001, we would have no way of grathering all the resources on your forum and passing it along to someone else. It's a risk that, I believe I can speak on behalf of Pierre, that we could not take.

I am NOT asking you to stop. Infact, I'd like for you to continue. However, we have enough to deal with, and being moderators on yet another forum is time consuming for us.

Pierre
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Pierre » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:48 pm

Mike wrote:No one at all is putting you down. They are just not agreeing with you.

The problem with a forum-based resource site is that it gets extremely unorganized. The benefit of a site designed for resources is that everything is all in one system, and one can do searches and have browsers to view graphics quickly. With a forum, it becomes extremely unorganized and confusing to locate anything in particular.

The other problem with the forum idea is that we have no way to manage it and do what we need to do. With Sim making a web-site, and putting it under our domain, we have full control and have the ability to pass it along if Sim ever "retires". If you ever stopped supporting 001, we would have no way of grathering all the resources on your forum and passing it along to someone else. It's a risk that, I believe I can speak on behalf of Pierre, that we could not take.

I am NOT asking you to stop. Infact, I'd like for you to continue. However, we have enough to deal with, and being moderators on yet another forum is time consuming for us.

I concur. :D
Still, thanks for the idea 1 2 3.

Postby 123 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:42 pm

Maybe Someone Else here will be a Mod and help keep my site organized and tidy with me.

Thanks for the support Mike & Pierre

and I would Like to add my sidenote that I love this software and Hope It Booms Into A Complete and Superb Editor.

EDIT:

I have Some more for you to read,

If You Wish I will Disable and Or Discontinue Downloadability Of Any Item You Wish To be Removed. Of Course I would Never Cross you and Shut down without Linking you to all the content, and If I ever Make a New Forum to Host The Said Files, I will Create a Post Here Reminding Everybody as to the whereabouts Of The Files, As I plan to Have Exclusive Content On My Page That, I think, Should only be available from it's Owner (Me) So I will keep Up to date on the Wherebouts and Availability Of My Forum and/or it's contents

Thanks Everybody, and have a Great Day

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:06 pm

You can still use the forums - the site is way from finished.

I'm focusing on the user system first, so you can register, login, upload, logout, etc. (AND I need to code the "admin" options).

Once you can do that, I'll focus on uploading, displaying, rating, etc.

The best part if that I have a webserver on my computer, complete with MySQL and PHP. So I can code off and online, and test it instantly.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Most web developers have webservers on their local machine. As I've said, that's how I do it too. It's really helpful!

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Do you know any PHP by any chance?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:39 pm

This entire site is PHP :P. If you go to the main page, and keep refreshing it, you'll see a new screenshot on the right every time.

Everything is dynamic. The subsections, the documentation/tutorials, etc... It'd be horrible if I ever changed a graphic or added menu items at the top (which I have). And obviously this forum is PHP - I have made some mods to it.

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:42 pm

The site's PHP? But the HTML extensions!
I thought the image was javascript, but meh.

And yeah, I like phpBB as well, very moddable.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:43 pm

Yeah hehe. Little tricks ;).

Also, when you click on a screenshot, that too is dynamic. The screenshots themselves are generated automatically through a database.

It's amazing what you can do with PHP!

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:50 pm

So you can program in it, right? I guess so! lol

I just wanted to know, I'm not asking for anything. I'm just curious.

While I'm asking randomness, what browser do you use? (Or should THAT be a different thread?)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Internet Explorer

Which will be good to use for looking at your site for resources (to get back on topic ;) ).

Simsimius
001 Fanatic

Postby Simsimius » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:10 am

Yeah, IE is different to Firefox in many ways (and I prefer Firefox).

Luckily, the basic template is so great, it works on both browsers (but for some reason, both browsers have no idea how large a pixel is, so the site looks different. Damn engines >_<)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:02 am

Heh yeah. Our site looks a bit different on both. At one time, some pages were centered in IE but not in FireFox :D!

For some angering reason, I have no internet at home until tomorow "supposedly". But I fixed the export feature, so I hope to have that up soon. I also made some reference sheet for creating resources for 001. I'll also have that up as soon as I can get the stuff up.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:03 pm

Posted documentation about resources. This should help in the mean time while you guys wait for the next release. Shouldn't be too long - fixed most of everything everyone's complained about.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:28 am

And now export works ;).

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design