Creating maps in game & sharing with players?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

Creating maps in game & sharing with players?

Postby Danny » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:54 pm

1) How do you create a map in a built game?

2) Also in multiplayer if the host as made a map (Like Minecraft etc) how would you make it so the client that joins can see the hosts map exactly how the host built it?

3) Also if a player makes map they created using an editor i made in the game, how would the player share that map so they can distribute it online for others to play?

Thanks.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Creating maps in game & sharing with players?

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:21 am

1) Currently not possible to do, unless you use a blank map as a template on which you will 'generate' a map; like in Minecraft.

2) If it's a procedurally generated world (like in Minecraft), seeding in necessary.

3) You'll need to create an Import/Export function within the project that will communicate tile data over to the server and connected parties. Essentially, you would encode the created map through specialized code that can later be translated back into tiles. This process is quite complicated and requires you to create your very own system of doing things, as there really isn't a standard approach.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:26 am

If it's a procedurally generated world (like in Minecraft), seeding in necessary.

Is that hard? How would i go about it?

You'll need to create an Import/Export function within the project that will communicate tile data over to the server and connected parties. Essentially, you would encode the created map through specialized code that can later be translated back into tiles. This process is quite complicated and requires you to create your very own system of doing things, as there really isn't a standard approach.

All of that just to export a map from 001? I would have thought there would have been away to store things offline then drag the files into the games folder :?

Edit: Wait wait, i think i may have not explained question correctly...

The player makes a cool world and thinks "Hey i wanna export this map and upload it online" then when they upload it online (To dropbox, onedrive or whatever) then other people can download the file and put into the game, then load the game and play the downloaded map. Wolla!. I'm not wanting to upload the map to clients like you would Counter Strike maps etc, this is for offline usage.

Edit: Can you explain this one to me please: 1) Currently not possible to do, unless you use a blank map as a template on which you will 'generate' a map; like in Minecraft.
Last edited by Danny on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:13 am

ok, basicly you would have to script your own save/load system for maps. basically a loop that gose through every tile on your map and saves it to a collection or table or somthing, then save that data to a file. you would also need to make it work the other way, extract data from a file and loop everything back into place. you would need a map in the engine to do all this in.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Danny wrote:All of that just to export a map from 001? I would have thought there would have been away to store things offline then drag the files into the games folder Edit: Wait wait, i think i may have not explained question correctly...The player makes a cool world and thinks "Hey i wanna export this map and upload it online" then when they upload it online (To dropbox, onedrive or whatever) then other people can download the file and put into the game, then load the game and play the downloaded map. Wolla!. I'm not wanting to upload the map to clients like you would Counter Strike maps etc, this is for offline usage.

To export a map to/as a file, you'd have to utilize 001's File System and proceed as dragonnutds mentioned.

Danny wrote:Edit: Can you explain this one to me please: 1) Currently not possible to do, unless you use a blank map as a template on which you will 'generate' a map; like in Minecraft.

When you mention a game like Minecraft, you are essentially bringing forth to attention the idea of worlds that are built in space. In 001, this translates to an actual Map; you'd only really need one, unless you plan to have several worlds loaded at once. You are essentially building a world through a generator (very much like my RDG works, link in my signature) that places/removes tiles from the game world. When answering your first question, I believe you wanted to actually 'create' a map within the game, which is not possible; what I was referring to is using an already created map within the Engine as your playground.

Using my RDG as a vivid example, you'd only have one map that can be loaded with anything you want. If you are to refer to Minecraft, which is also procedurally generated like my RDG, you'd need to create your very own world generator. In order to load identical worlds at any time, you would need to use a pseudorandom number generator. The world of procedural design is quite complex however, depending on your needs, so this isn't something to explain in a sentence. Nevertheless, all it really means is that you are to generate the same pattern of random numbers given a value that is considered as a 'seed'. If you are looking to create a project where players build worlds themselves (such that are not generated automatically) then you don't have to worry about this; you only need to script map exporting/importing -reading/writing tile data from/to a file.
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 pm

To make this easy am going to pretend i understood what both of you said :)

I don't suppose anyone as an old 2D platformer view random world generator project going spare so i can look at it and see how things work. Or if anyone is feeling in the best mood ever then explain me how you make a 2D platformer view random world generator or as muc detail as possible and see if i can figure things out?

Nothing 3D. Any help would be great. Thank you! :D

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 am

Maybe RamchuK could let you have a look at his old Random Terrain Generation system, unless it doesn't utilize seeds. I'm also working on my own seeding system, but due to it's complexity I doubt I'll be finishing it anytime soon :-P

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:11 pm

you can also let an actor loose, i have one that looks like a pacman, hes called a dungeon eater/space generator and he goes about eating walls, changing them to floor tiles. problem with that is, generation occurs whilst player is standing there watching. you also need room generators to blow out large chunks and hallway runner dungeon eaters to link each room

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:20 am

JimmySterylian wrote:Maybe RamchuK could let you have a look at his old Random Terrain Generation system, unless it doesn't utilize seeds. I'm also working on my own seeding system, but due to it's complexity I doubt I'll be finishing it anytime soon :-P

He wont.

evs wrote:you can also let an actor loose, i have one that looks like a pacman, hes called a dungeon eater/space generator and he goes about eating walls, changing them to floor tiles. problem with that is, generation occurs whilst player is standing there watching. you also need room generators to blow out large chunks and hallway runner dungeon eaters to link each room

Seems pretty complicated and seems you have to wait longer than usual. I'll bare this one in mind.

So anyone able to explain how to use seeds/map generation. Anyone?
Last edited by Danny on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Koutacles
001 Subscriber

Postby Koutacles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:36 am

Danny wrote:1) How do you create a map in a built game?

2) Also in multiplayer if the host as made a map (Like Minecraft etc) how would you make it so the client that joins can see the hosts map exactly how the host built it?

3) Also if a player makes map they created using an editor i made in the game, how would the player share that map so they can distribute it online for others to play?

1) You can either make a map editor for the players or use some sort of random map generation algorithm, as touched on by others above me. A map editor for players is a lot simpler!

2) You'd have to set up network messages that convert the current state of the map into one that can be sent to the other player. Probably checking each tile of the host's map, then saving it into a table to be "de-converted" and painted again on the client's side. I believe there is a way to easily pass a whole table over the network? Other stuff on the map such as actors etc. would need to have lots of their details (position, health, etc.) saved and passed over and would be a bit trickier.

3) You can use the event that allows you to write to a file to let the player save the map to a file (which they can then share). The save format would have to be worked out by yourself; it could be as simple as the tileset name is always line 1, then every new line after that is a comma-seperated list of tiles for that row of the map.
aka Chaoman77
Play Fungi Frolic!
Solve platforming puzzles and then make your own!
Play Endless Sands!
Gather gold in a deadly pyramid then (hopefully) return alive to spend it on sweet, sweet loot!

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Danny wrote:So anyone able to explain how to use seeds/map generation. Anyone?

If you have a serious project in mind, or simply looking to give this a serious go for whatever purposes, I may be willing to work with you to design just the right map/world generator for you. It may not be all too complex or advanced, but given that you have a good idea of what you may want (specific world features), I may give it a go. I'll do this for a negotiated price, free of copyrights and so forth. The only conditions would be your promise to not share any source content with anyone for any reason. If you're interested, PM me the details of your offer and I will consider it.
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:37 am

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:
Danny wrote:So anyone able to explain how to use seeds/map generation. Anyone?

If you have a serious project in mind, or simply looking to give this a serious go for whatever purposes, I may be willing to work with you to design just the right map/world generator for you. It may not be all too complex or advanced, but given that you have a good idea of what you may want (specific world features), I may give it a go. I'll do this for a negotiated price, free of copyrights and so forth. The only conditions would be your promise to not share any source content with anyone for any reason. If you're interested, PM me the details of your offer and I will consider it.

PM sent.

EDIT: Would like some help with this still, serious please. So if anyone is willing to help let me know, Thanks!

Edit 2: Anyone?

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:43 pm

well, although a feature has been added which helps me create maps while player is still on a different map, my method doesnt use 'seeds' so theres no way for two players to generate or play on the same map, so i dont think i can help sorry man.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:52 pm

evs wrote:well, although a feature has been added which helps me create maps while player is still on a different map, my method doesnt use 'seeds' so theres no way for two players to generate or play on the same map, so i dont think i can help sorry man.

It's okay don't worry about it. I'm working on something with Ramchuk at the moment minus the sharing with players part. Thank you :)

Return to Technical Support Questions