Transparent Tiles Hide Layers Behind Them?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
CHAOKOCartoons

Transparent Tiles Hide Layers Behind Them?

Postby CHAOKOCartoons » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:12 pm

I've been working on a platformer game for about a little over a year, and at some point the way the transparency worked completely changed.

This is what the game looked like as of June 2015. Take note of the ladders, red scaffolding, and spikes, as they have transparent backgrouns:
https://youtu.be/8bRMfoUmoIE

As you can see, the Ladders and Scaffolding show the layer behind them just fine.

Now look at the same level as of now:

The Ladders and Scaffolding clearly show the backdrop, completely hiding the lower layers. However, the spikes still remain to show said layers as they should. Even the rounded corners of the floor still retain their transparency. So what happened here? There's no difference that I know of between the spikes and the ladders/scaffolding, so why does one mask and the other not? Did something change in one of the updates? Is there a switch that got ticked off and I just have to tick it on again?
I hope my creations can bring you positive emotions of some sort! :D

Danny
001 Forum Master

Re: Transparent Tiles Hide Layers Behind Them?

Postby Danny » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:06 am

CHAOKOCartoons

Postby CHAOKOCartoons » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Wait, but, it WAS supported before! The video above proves that, did I just get lucky and glitch it out somehow? I mean I trust their word, but that just makes my situation all the more confusing. :|

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:03 pm

are you using (white) transparency or magic pink? the pink should work ok shouldnt it?

i just saw your video btw, the sprite animations are really good, well done

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 pm

I know if he turns his tileset (Ladder) into magic pink for areas that he wants transparent it will stop showing, unless of course your ladders are on the very fist layer? (Layer 0), if that's the case you will need the ladders to be on another layer up with magic pink.

CHAOKOCartoons

Postby CHAOKOCartoons » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 am

They are indeed transparent with magic pink, I even re-bucket filled the transparent areas.

After a bit of tile placement testing, it seems that all the tiles on the first layer (the ones that actually collide with Diggy like the floor and spikes) have no transparency problems with tiles in the last layer. If i put a ladder tile on that layer, the transparency is fine. However, tiles in the second layer (aka the layer just above the back wall with the ladders and scaffolding) mask the tiles behind them. And like I mentioned before, this was not always the case, it just happened at some point, because once this level was done I only ever went back and edited one of the floors in the second building and the sky paralax.

EDIT: I've found a simple work around I should have thought about way sooner: Just make 5 layers instead of 3, and just don't use layers 2 and 4. Essentially, just keep 1 layer in between each part of the background or foreground. Unfortunately, this means I have to re-build almost ALL of my levels, but you know what if it works it works. :roll:

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:53 pm

ok, good. thanks for sharing the fix, thats interesting

Return to Technical Support Questions