Ultra Circle

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Not Me
001 Subscriber

Ultra Circle

Postby Not Me » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:46 pm

So I thought I'd like to try something new. Therefore...

...I'm going to make a clone of the above game, Super Hexagon. :D

I'll be using an old subscription version so as to do some crazy camera stuff, and I've got most of the scripting planned out already. The plan is, I'm gonna try to do it in seven days, although there are a few events coming up for me so that may not be possible. Either way, I'll be keeping you guys posted on my progress. ;)
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

mistergeorge
001 Admirer

Re: Ultra Circle

Postby mistergeorge » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 am

Wow that would be hard to make. I know this game but what would be the difference between this and your game?

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, the music won't be nearly as amazing, for one. As the name implies, I'll also be using a circle instead of a hexagon. The general gameplay should be about the same.

mistergeorge
001 Admirer

Postby mistergeorge » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Ok then good luck. If you can make a game like this then it would be a great innovation for the community.

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:08 pm

ultacircle1.PNG
Progress!

Progress report! :D

Movement works, screen rotation is in progress, and walls work pretty well (minus the obvious shrinking miscalculation). Movement is done by using a while/timer to make the player face the center of the screen and telling the player to strafe in input. To compensate for the fact that the player tends to spiral outward, I have another while/timer that positions the player closer to the center if it gets more than 48 pixels away. The walls are told to move forward via auto-movement, and shrink over a period of three seconds in their loaded trigger before being deleted. Collision works beautifully as-is. Tomorrow I plan to put together a basic HUD and some more variation in the walls, seeing as they only come from one side. I'd also like to add a bit to the camera movement, namely some pulsing in and out.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Can't wait to see this fully working. Well, understanding how you got it to work. The actual game you're re-making makes me feel a bit seasick just from looking at it:lol:
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Progress report!

The easiest difficulty mode is fully playable! It's got shnazzy changing colors, crazy spinny camera, lots of walls coming from all sides, and a HUD that turned out significantly nicer looking than I expected. There's also a title screen. I could release a sort of beta demo now, as the game is playable, but I want to finish the other difficulty modes and add a high score list first.

On a side note, the harder difficulties will be faster, have different camera craziness and colors, have more complex wall patterns, and potentially have more sides for walls to come from.

UPDATE!

I finished a playable version, which has been uploaded and is playable!
The resoloution may or may not screw up; it's supposed to be 512x512. Video Options are enabled in case of derps.
Download link! http://www.engine001.com/games/Ultra%20Circle_2783.htm

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:32 am

There seems to be a serious bug in this game where you die immediately after starting. It seems to happen after you die the first time and then start the game again - which in my opinion it shouldn't quit the game, rather just reset the level as it's annoying having to keep starting it up after you fail.

Other than that it's a fun distraction, though I still prefer the original :P.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:39 pm

When it's done, it will send you back to the title screen when you die; this is just a version to show off the system, really. As for dying when restarting: I didn't have that issue, but I only tested from inside the editor, not an executable, so I'll have to look into it. Thanks for trying it out!

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Here is an video showing exactly what Lee meant to say,
(Just put youtubedotcom infront of it)
/watch?v=kOld8ku7yCU
Mike wrote:...

Image<~~~|Get over here!

Return to Games In Progress