FL Studios. (Music Devoplement software thread)

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Ajax
Ultimate 001 Member

FL Studios. (Music Devoplement software thread)

Postby Ajax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:12 pm

I've just picked up interest in learning how to produce music, after playing the piano for 4 years and the guitar for 6, I found Fruityloops a great program to use if you are a newcomer to producing music, or if you are a profession artist. Does anyone on the 001 forums have any experience with FL Studios or any other Music Development software.
Funneh Conversations with Moderators! wrote: Ajax: Dude....Come On
Hes Helping me do stuff...Certain Stuff
Mike: Sounds hawt.. :D

ZhugeLiang :
Think of it this way -

You jumped in a pool of sharp glass and salt, and the only person to save you is spider-man, but he's gone right now! You have to find a way out without getting hurt or just stay still and wait...

Ajax: Oh man, I should be worried.

ZhugeLiang wrote:
man, dail-up was a bitch

Scorch wrote:
Yes, Zhug she is. But she's so cheap....don't know how to leave her.....

A Hero's Tale IV

///////// 10% complete.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: FL Studios. (Music Devoplement software thread)

Postby SBG » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Definitely my program of choice for making riffs. Along with Adobe Audition for the mixing, it's really all you need.

Here's a short remix I made of BTSTU by Jai Paul using these programs.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x4m5oc21fyl6u3t

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Ajax wrote:I've just picked up interest in learning how to produce music, after playing the piano for 4 years and the guitar for 6, I found Fruityloops a great program to use if you are a newcomer to producing music, or if you are a profession artist. Does anyone on the 001 forums have any experience with FL Studios or any other Music Development software.

I'm not big on FL Studio because it's too limited. It's an alright learning tool, but I still prefer Ableton Live. I bought Ableton earlier this year and I love it.
DOOF

aldenorai
001 Admirer

Postby aldenorai » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:06 pm

It really depends on what kind of music you intend to produce. I know a few fellow composers who use FL Studio for their orchestral cues, but I certainly don't recommend it to people as a means for composing orchestral music.

FL Studio is designed for electronic styles (techno, ambient, rave, trance, etc.) in that the interface is set up for you to create your own loops and then composite them into a song graph to actually make your full piece. While you CAN use it to make just one "pattern" for each instrument and do your orchestral work that way, it's far too much a pain to bother with.

Having said that, there aren't too many cheap DAWs out there. The closest to what FL Studio Producer Edition costs I believe is Sony ACID, or maybe Sonar (I haven't checked the pricing on Sonar in about 5 years). Those DAWs (and I've heard of people using Reason, even though I have never touched Reason myself) are more ideal for orchestral work.

Don't get me wrong; FL Studio is a great piece of software for music production. It's just made for certain genres of music and has to be manipulated to do anything beyond that.
- George R. Powell
Music Composer | Screenwriter | Voice Actor

http://www.georgerpowell.com

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Indeed FLStudio isn't that great at all by itself, and is really only good for electronic music, but combined with other mixing programs it is the ideal easy-to-use solution for electronic music composition, especially when you don't have any hardware.

I gotta try Ableton Live though. If it's like frooty loops but better, then it's right up my alley :)

aldenorai
001 Admirer

Postby aldenorai » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Don't get me wrong, FL Studio has great compression plugins that easily trump most mastering plugins out there.

Also, you've heard my music, and I have no hardware whatsoever (besides the studio condensor mic that I record vocals with). I'm running Nuendo, though, which gives you everything including the kitchen sink, but God help you if you didn't have someone show you how to use it.
- George R. Powell

Ajax
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Ajax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:17 pm

SBG wrote:Definitely my program of choice for making riffs. Along with Adobe Audition for the mixing, it's really all you need.

Here's a short remix I made of BTSTU by Jai Paul using these programs.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x4m5oc21fyl6u3t

Excellent Remix, mind telling me what plugins you use?

aldenorai wrote:It really depends on what kind of music you intend to produce. I know a few fellow composers who use FL Studio for their orchestral cues, but I certainly don't recommend it to people as a means for composing orchestral music.

FL Studio is designed for electronic styles (techno, ambient, rave, trance, etc.) in that the interface is set up for you to create your own loops and then composite them into a song graph to actually make your full piece. While you CAN use it to make just one "pattern" for each instrument and do your orchestral work that way, it's far too much a pain to bother with.

Having said that, there aren't too many cheap DAWs out there. The closest to what FL Studio Producer Edition costs I believe is Sony ACID, or maybe Sonar (I haven't checked the pricing on Sonar in about 5 years). Those DAWs (and I've heard of people using Reason, even though I have never touched Reason myself) are more ideal for orchestral work.

Don't get me wrong; FL Studio is a great piece of software for music production. It's just made for certain genres of music and has to be manipulated to do anything beyond that.

Way to hit the nail on the head.

ZhugeLiang :
Think of it this way -

You jumped in a pool of sharp glass and salt, and the only person to save you is spider-man, but he's gone right now! You have to find a way out without getting hurt or just stay still and wait...

ZhugeLiang wrote:
man, dail-up was a bitch

Scorch wrote:

A Hero's Tale IV

///////// 10% complete.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm

LFO and arpeggiator combined with a decent instrument library, but like I said before I just use FL to make riffs. All of the heavy lifting was done in Adobe Audition kinda like musical surgery. Audition is amazing and I will always use it for actually *making* songs, even if I find something better than FL to make mah riffs.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Lols... I use Finale with the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra VST and get by fine... and Finale is in no way recommended for digital composition.

aldenorai
001 Admirer

Postby aldenorai » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 am

I'm using Nuendo 4 (while it retails for $1799, I bought it at a student discount and got it for $999), only because it was the software I was trained in when I initially learned DAWs.

As of this year, I've been using an older (2004, I think) library of Vienna Symphonic Library, but I still complement it with Edirol Orchestral and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. Most of what you hear in the Moon Tear score is VSL.
- George R. Powell

Lonewolf308
001 Fanatic

Postby Lonewolf308 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:28 am

I like to play around with FL studio (got it as a Christmas gift :] ). I mainly use it for drum programming since i play a lot of extreme heavy metal. I use Audacity to record into though, and also use it to mix/master my works... my guitar amp is a Fender Mustang I and it has a usb output for pretty good sound quality through recording, and record vocals using a free mic i got from a friend ( a cheap behringer).

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm

i have the exact same process as lonewolf but its not metal. more like comedy hard rock(qotsa) with a touch of the sardonic. i gotta say i love fruity loops, even with the cake walk sonar x1 studio edition. i think it might be because of the ease of use and visual medium that fl studio has.

edit** audacity rules and its free. it allows vst plug ins what more do you want.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I used to use FL Studio 8 all the time for my music. I think I stopped using it last year since I found Ableton Live 8. Reason for that is I wanted better line in recording than what FL has.

It wasn't til nearly a year that I found out the mixer had effects and stuff, and thats when my music really started to sound good. I normally make each different part of a song into its own pattern and then put it all together on the song piano roll.

Overall FL was pretty awesome, and some of my favorite music was made with it. (http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDuncePoo) Most of the early non-acoustic songs on my youtube are made with FL.

I still have a ton of my old project files if you want to dissect them.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:02 am

ashburp wrote:i have the exact same process as lonewolf but its not metal. more like comedy hard rock(qotsa) with a touch of the sardonic. i gotta say i love fruity loops, even with the cake walk sonar x1 studio edition. i think it might be because of the ease of use and visual medium that fl studio has.

edit** audacity rules and its free. it allows vst plug ins what more do you want.

Audacity is to Adobe Audition what a half eaten cheezburger from a dumpster is to a freshly baked bacon chicken ranch pizza. :)

Although Audacity is probably the best program to use for recording stereo mixes(recording from your soundcard, what you hear through your speakers) because of its ease of use and lightweight-ness. And it's fun to mess around with the effects, even create pretty decent samples with it but for actually making music, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:56 am

I only use Audacity to convert wav to mp3. It does a pretty good job(though that might just be the Lame codec producing the quality).

I also use audacity to change pitch/speed of sounds. The sounds you hear in dream[e]scape were made by my guitar, but warped in Audacity lol.

Ajax
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Ajax » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Audacity is freeware, you can't expect much of it, But it does get the job done in most cases.

ZhugeLiang :
Think of it this way -

ZhugeLiang wrote:
man, dail-up was a bitch

Scorch wrote:

A Hero's Tale IV

///////// 10% complete.

Return to General Discussion