Putting Actors Infront of tile sets

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
EFFEKT Records

Putting Actors Infront of tile sets

Postby EFFEKT Records » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm making a 2D Platformer type of game and having a issue with having the player infront of the tile sets such as trees and such. The actor is instead behind the tile set so that they cant be seen. Is there away to reverse that, I try messing with the tall, and against wall... and flat didnt work either. please help, thanks!

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Putting Actors Infront of tile sets

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 pm

The best way to work on platform projects is to divide the scenery into layers that will be used for specific purposes/tiles; in front-view this would be the Y-axis. Set the world Y size to the amount of layers you need and switch between them by using L-CTRL + MouseWheel. (Be careful when spawning players, taking care to spawn them at an appropriate Y location.)
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

EFFEKT Records

Postby EFFEKT Records » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:24 am

How do I spawn the player into the different layers? I put the tree on a different layer and I get the same resualt

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:00 am

You need to spawn the player at the desired Y-axis coordinate; each layer is 32 pixels apart. The layers stack out from the screen, so everything in the background is at a lower layer.

Knowing this, if you have trees on the very first (deepest layer, farthest from the screen) layer and wish to position the player on one layer in front, you will need to position the player at (Layer# * 32) - 16. The first layer means that the player needs to be spawned at a Y-coordinate of 16. Just use this formula accordingly.

To manually position characters on the map, use the Position Actor event and enter the corresponding coordinates that are desired.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Return to Technical Support Questions