Genericopolis - Guns n' Gangs

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Genericopolis - Guns n' Gangs

Postby Wonderland » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 am

Hopefully this will be my first finished game. Yes, I know open-world crime games are pretty played out (literally) here, but I just wanted to do this for fun and get some feedback (since I don't really do game making seriously anymore - just for fun when I am not busy blogging). I will update this with new features soon.

So far there really isn't much of a story going on besides the fact that you are a person who dropped out of High School, couldn't get a job and had to resort to crime, yada yada yada (it's just for context).

FEATURES:

Large world (aprox. 400x400) to explore
filled with crime to be done, collectables to be found and activities (gambling, driving, drinking, etc.) to try. Enjoy the random weather and day/night systems. Many objects are completely destructible so go on a statue or stop sign-destroying spree. Look out for secrets, references to 001 and other games and media. Detail is everywhere. Choose from a number of houses to buy and buy new furniture for them. There is also a good variety of vehicles with different properties (speed, acceleration) to drive around.

Play as both a man or a woman - For the first time ever, be a gangster girl, with a few different perks and changes to the world.

Mouse control! - Aim, turn your character, switch weapons and shoot with the mouse.

Character customization - Change clothes, hair, pants, race, gender, name, etc.

Leveling system with perks! - Pretty much everything you do gets you XP, which will enable you to grow your abilities as well as every 2 levels, select perks. You are given 2 to choose from which gives you bonuses (similar to Fallout's system). I'm taking an RPG approach to this to make it a little different.

Loot - GTA needs more loot! MOAR LOOT! Lots of weapon and item variation (anything from painkillers to books) to keep things interesting.

Crafting system - Not finalized, but I am thinking of putting up some crafting benches around in certain places and you can collect/buy parts to improve weapons and armor, as well as repair them as gear breaks over time.

Join a gang - Choose from 3 wacky, themed gangs and help support yours and rise up the ranks to where you run the city or go it alone.

Drug dealing mini-game? - May not happen but I was thinking of having some underground dealers crowded in alleyways scattered around that you can deal with to try and make some money.

Unique wanted system - A simpler wanted system involving "crime points". Watch out for the police. And if you are bad enough, watch out for the SWAT or the army. Also, Super Guy (a reference to my story) and a few other super do-gooders may be patrolling the streets...

Full sound - Already implemented, sound for every weapon, every vehicle, etc. as well as a good chunk of rock music as a soundtrack.

I will simply try to make a good game, hoping it will be the best GTA clone you guys have every played here. Screenshots and dev updates coming soon. I will probably not release anything till the game is done but I may add a bit of (free of course) DLC to maybe add an island or two or more weapons to the game. KEEP IN MIND THAT SINCE THIS HAS DARK, VIOLENT AND CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES INVOLVED (ALONG WITH OTHER MATURE THEMES) THIS IS FOR MATURE GAMERS ONLY! What do you think?
Attachments
screenie.png
Early screenshot - city pretty empty.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: Genericopolis - Guns n' Gangs

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 am

It's looking pretty basic right now, so I'm guessing there's probably a lot of work to be done.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Basic, judging by the screenshot? Then, oh yes, that would be why it is in the WIP section. :)

Thanks for being the first to reply by the way.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Okay, my advice is this: If you're going to do an open world crime game, put your own twist into it. Like, In Sleeping Dogs you could play for both sides; cop and triad. Saints Row The Third was a satire of the open-world crime game. In Prototype you played as a shape-shifting superhero, and in Assassin's Creed 3 you were stuck smack in the middle of the American Revolution. Come up with a simple idea that would be awesome to implement in this game.

Anyways, You absolutely have my personal support. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :P

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 am

I definitely like this and think that it's one of the most unique crime sandbox games I've ever heard of. You've got my support :D.
Adding the word 'secret' to ANYthing makes it more valuable; Secret Chair :D
What if the same color someone sees is completely different than what someone else sees O.o?

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:05 am

Good to hear! Thanks guys. :D I am absolutely going ahead with this now.

Not sure what to use as a hook. Any ideas (besides the examples already given)? I know it is my job but I honestly can't think of anything.

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:01 pm

No problem :D! And are you looking for something in your game idea to get someone's attention? Or are you looking for extra ideas that could be the main attraction to your game. I think what you have now could be pretty good to use. What other crime sandbox game has a superhero in the wanted system :)?
What if the same color someone sees is completely different than what someone else sees O.o?

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:49 am

Tabula Rasa wrote:Okay, my advice is this: If you're going to do an open world crime game, put your own twist into it. Like, In Sleeping Dogs you could play for both sides; cop and triad. Saints Row The Third was a satire of the open-world crime game. In Prototype you played as a shape-shifting superhero, and in Assassin's Creed 3 you were stuck smack in the middle of the American Revolution. Come up with a simple idea that would be awesome to implement in this game.

Anyways, You absolutely have my personal support. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :P

I meant for this.

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Ah ok. Well, I may think of something different later when I fully wake up, unless you like this one, but I really think the rpg aspect has a very strong point, that can probably be expanded. A few sandbox games have rpg elements in it, but maybe you could use the genre even further. Like have classes and things similar to stuff that you see that makes up the genre of an rpg. For example, while the fantasy rpg's have wizards, warriors, elves, etc., you could have something like thief, gunman, driver, etc. that could determine what your character is best at, though those are just random examples at the top of my head, and I'm still waking up lol.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Well, I don't want to restrict players into a class.

I was thinking a bit about changing the theme to a cyberpunk, future thing, maybe set on another planet. It would be the same gameplay but maybe with laser guns, hover cars, maybe magic telekentic sci-fi stuff, the works. It would be a big overhaul and it might take a while, but... what do ya think?

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 pm

That would be cool too. Personally I always liked futuristic crime sandbox games, even though they're very rare, including indie games. I've also been wanting to make a game like that myself for a while. I like futuristic games in general, so I'm definitely in approval of that if you decide to make it futuristic. Cyberpunk sounds really good for your game, and another planet could also involve more things that could happen, being what it is, and it's plant life could have special fruit-like health items. :)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks, I will see what others think. What other sci-fi sandbox crime games come to mind?

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 pm

You're welcome! And GTA 2 which was retro-futuristic, I think, and another game called Total Anarchy. While not a crime sandbox game, Body Harvest had a lot of similarities and was even made by DMA Design, which is now Rockstar North. It took place in different time zones, but you were from the future, shooing aliens, and even got to go into space in the future. Saints Row: The Third had a lot of sci-fi elements added on to it, however it was set in present day. There are possibly more, considering how much I play sandbox games, but I can't remember.
Last edited by MrRichard on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Omikron: The Nomad Soul definitely comes to mind, even though it's extremely dated now. It's purportedly an adventure game, but I'd call it a sandbox game, and it's definitely sci-fi, and there's definitely crime involved. If I can recall correctly, it's the first 3D open world sandbox game I've ever played, and it blew me away. Check it out, draw some inspiration.

Oh yeah, can't forget Shadowrun either. Shadowrun has its own universe and rulesets just like D&D. You could easily base your game off of that universe.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:37 am

Mmm k. I may start doing the switch soon.

I am well into the switch. I sorta like the way this concept is headed - screenshots soon.

EDIT: Meh, nevermind, I think the RPG way is good enough. I am having some spriting issues and it has made everything too complicated, sorry, I am going back to my original concept I guess. I wish I backed up the file.

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 am

Still sounds like a good game either way to me.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 am

I think you should decrease the size of the health bars.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a working name, but you should choose something other than Genericopolis. Seems condescending to your game, unless it was intentionally suppose to be that way. ;)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 am

Sure, I will change the health bars. I wanted the name to be funny. Any new suggestions?

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:35 am

I kinda liked the name lol. If you decide to keep it, you could make it a parody of modern urban life. Though that's entirely up to you. Or you could try to make the title describe your game in one word with the subtitle 'Guns n' Gangs'.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:59 am

"Genericopolis - Guns n' Gangs" is the original title, by the way. The city's name is Genericopolis, if I didn't say that already. That is because it is supposed to be a generic city, like another Metropolis. I liked the name too. It is supposed to be a bit of a parody of urban life, to some extent.

Oh, and do you want the health bars smaller length-wise or width-wise?

It would be very helpful for me if you guys answered some of these topics:

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22147

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21197&p=344448&hilit=equipment#p344448

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22007&p=346642&hilit=equipment#p346642

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22148

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22140

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22126

Thanks!
Last edited by Wonderland on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 am

I mentioned to Mike about how the resources section still wasn't working for uploads. I'm pretty sure he's still working on it.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:32 am

Great!

Achievements that give bonus xp when unlocked are in the works and I will post a screenshot of the interface soon.

Oh, and here is another thing that would be a massive help! http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21362&hilit=collections&start=10
Last edited by Wonderland on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Tabula Rasa wrote:It's looking pretty basic right now, so I'm guessing there's probably a lot of work to be done.

Game name: Genericopolis

LOL

(Honestly I'm super guilty of such posts... Problem is I've offended in this manner so many times pointing it out would be like kicking a baby...You know... When it's parents weren't there to bust me for doing it... Don't kick the baby. :lol: )

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 am

Not a huge amount of progress but finishing the achievements system (or at least nearly) was a big hurdle. Here is the achivements screen.
Attachments
achievements.png

MrRichard
001 Supporter

Postby MrRichard » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Nice! This is looking promising!

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 pm

MrRichard wrote:Nice! This is looking promising!

Thanks. Yes, making a quality and polished game is priority.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Guns n' Gangs xD

God, why does the name fascinate me so much :lol:
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I guess that is a good thing. :P

Work has halted while me and Mike sort out some issues. :)

The game is on hold now, probably until next version because it is just too frustrating. It's not fun anymore. Until the bugs are fixed, I am stopping progress. HUDs disappearing, infinite loops not being able to infinitely loop, shop screens that don't work, not being able to save the project due to a "memory error", the list goes on.

Don't take this as insult, Mike. It just makes it hard to do work.
Last edited by Wonderland on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Have you made a topic for any of the other bugs? HUD disappearing/loop etc. I'm currently looking at your saving error.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:16 pm

For the loop one I did. I got an answer and it worked well. But then it happened again and I couldn't do it that way anymore cause it already was done. Mike said if the depth thing didn't work I might have to wait for next version.

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21966&p=346624&hilit=infinite+loop#p346624

Depth is already 8. It just started happening again randomly.

Does anybody want the files for this project? I am not sure if it will get finished in my busy and slowly-losing-interest hands (I wish I could as I have no games at all in my portfolio but I guess I am more of a writer) although it looks like it could become something. I can give you the files, my ideas, and any other info you need on how stuff runs (some scripting and such may be awkwardly laid out, sorry about that xD) and then you can do what you wish, as long as I get a good amount of credit.
Last edited by Wonderland on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonborn99
001 Supporter

Postby dragonborn99 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Give us some more pics of your game ;)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Mmmh... The project is dead, broken by some of 001's most recent, rather disruptive bugs (that nobody can sniff out). Not much to show.

Welcome to finish it youself though, as long as you give me some credit.

dragonborn99
001 Supporter

Postby dragonborn99 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 pm

Sorry I'm working on my own one man project :(

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm bringing this back to life. :D

Progress has been pretty quiet on Survival of the Fittest but Genericopolis - Guns n’ Gangs is coming along well. March Break is always good for productivity here.

I’ve done a lot of the scripting, the day/night cycle, some of the city and finished most of the music system. Of course, a lot of it was done already since the game was well on its way and backed up before the computer messed up.

The achievements system is on the way and a lot of the city will be finished in the coming weeks. I am starting work on a stats screen (every sandbox game needs one!) so you know how many people you’ve trolled or hurt. Also, I wish to fix some of the bugs and slowdown.

I figured out the error. The error is “Out of Memory” where the computer has run out of virtual memory and/or RAM and so I can’t save the projects. I seem to get it all the time now, but at least I know what is going on.

Cheers!

Enjoy this new screenie, minus the HUD that could use some work.

Meh, this project is cancelled.
Last edited by Wonderland on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Games In Progress