Text in map?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
zartan917

Text in map?

Postby zartan917 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi Im new to this very robust engine!!! Looks great. Im trying to add some text into different "levels"/maps but not sure a way to do it.
I dont want to turn each letter into a "tile" it would take to long.. could i somehow just type something over my art (like graffiti in the level,
not on a pop-up box) so the character can walk in front of the text(Im using 2d rpg example) Ill prolly have many more questions (freelance coder anyone?) ok thanks

Greybird025

Re: Text in map?

Postby Greybird025 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:20 am

So...You cant...You can just make 64x64 and cut it on 32x32...so 1st 32x32 will be A,and other will be B.
-First try it,then comment it....Lets Vampires be with You.

zartan917

Postby zartan917 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 am

ah thats what i thought- I *may* have to do the game in flash as its text heavy but i will explore gg maker for its cool 3d function! thanks!

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Just make an image that is only text and import it as a sprite. Easy peasy.

zartan917

Postby zartan917 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:30 am

hmm! Im looking into options like make the big picture in another software and try to import it as one big pic
(at first i thought "background" but it would need to change alot so maybe on level). Im looking into tile extractor
which works- getting big pic and making them smaller tiles...kinda crashes if i make the # larger than 16.. but ya looking at options thanks.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:51 am

zartan917 wrote:...getting big pic and making them smaller tiles...kinda crashes if i make the # larger than 16

Can you elaborate on this a little more? If you can re-produce this issue consistently could you also send a bug report through the software (Help > Submit Bug) so we can look into it?
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Could always make a blank sprite, assign a interface to that sprite and in that interface have a text field and simply change the interfaces value via scripting.

Greybird025

Postby Greybird025 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:06 pm

If You want a BIG one picture,you need to go to Sprites-Graphic and to make Pic Sprite you need to click on green + and go to the "Image Files... " Add and Save.But that will be like NPC -_-
-First try it,then comment it....Lets Vampires be with You.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31 pm

If you go the tileset method, you are putting too much work into it and you're not gonna get your desired results, because you will be limited in map placement. And you're still making it in an external image program. Much better off importing it as a sprite, and then you can place it on the map just like any other actor and have basically free range to move it around the map. With a tileset, you're limited to the grid. Actors are limited to a grid too, but half as much at 16x16 instead of 32x32 like tiles, and that actually makes a huge difference. Plus you can do cool things with it like make it invisible or change the color. Can't do that with a tileset.

zartan917

Postby zartan917 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:57 pm

thanks for suggestions. The scripting one seems cool too but not sure how to implement so I wound up just highlighting space and copying/pasting pic with text- not "real" text but it will work hopefully. Also for the error its in the screenshot along with my "text" graphic WORKING!! Thanks again im so new to this engine but it has so many nice features!!
tileextract.png

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:16 am

I'd recommend you to use the sprite method due to the size of the image.

But that will be like NPC -_-

Not necessarily, you can use the layering system to ensure the sprite appears as if it's a graffiti. ;)

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:33 am

Oh you were messing with the tile scale in the tileset editor. Looks like a bug to me, but honestly there's no reason to use that feature.

Also you put that image in the ground tiles section, so your image is displaying as if it were the floor. You said you want characters to be able to walk behind the text and that won't happen with ground tiles. You should be using at least lower tiles, but like I said I strongly recommend using sprites/actors instead. It looks like what you are using is actually a sign? If that's what you're actually using for this goal, and you are deadset on using tilesets, I guess I suggest making it an upper tileset. And keep in mind, tiles work on a 32x32 pixel grid, and the max size per tileset is 256x256(or 512x512 with the expanded option) so you're gonna want to scale your image to fit that size correctly before attempting to put it in the engine.

Ultimately you can do what you want, because the engine offers that kind of freedom, but as a beginner, my advice could prove pretty valuable not just for this issue, but for other stuff later down the line. Over the years of working with the engine, I've done tons of experimenting, failing, fixing and learning. One of the most important things I've learned when it comes to graphics, unless you are making like, say, an adventure game where the entire level is basically one picture, then you really need to be working with the 32x32 grid that the engine uses. Your images should be in a dimension of 32 for proper performance(and proper extraction if using tilesets), and the scale of your graphics needs to be pretty specific if you want things to look good and function properly.

And for the record, just because it's a sprite doesn't mean it's an NPC. Sprites can be used for anything. AND, the can be manipulated and placed in all sorts of fantastic ways. Actually at this point, tiles are pretty much a relic of older versions and not necessary. I use sprites for literally everything except ground tiles. Back in the day, having tons of sprites on one map was frowned upon because of performance issues, but the engine has improved so much that it's not even an issue at all anymore, as long as you stick with the magic number 32 in your sprite dimensions.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:20 am

zartan917 wrote:Also for the error its in the screenshot along with my "text" graphic WORKING!! Thanks again im so new to this engine but it has so many nice features!!

Can you send a bug report through the software (Help > Submit Bug) with detailed instructions on how to re-produce this issue? Thanks! :)
Lee - 001 Community Manager

zartan917

Postby zartan917 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:02 pm

am trying the sprite method too.. got to the point where i can import a 128 x 128 graphic (of text, but would be cool if it could be bigger/double)/and i need to see how to put it in- i was using tilesets easily enough but how to add a sprite? does it have to be added through "actor"? Im interested in "dynamic text" like textbox.text="hello" for future if possible to get behind the main character... ok thanks

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:42 pm

With the sprite method, yes add it to the map just like any other actor. Use the Dynamic Object actor template if you wish(that template is made for stuff like this). You can resize it on 3 planes in the actors menu.

To be able to put in your own text though, and have it appear in your map as a sign or graffiti, is not possible.

zartan917

Postby zartan917 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:53 pm

ok slowly figuring it out. I have a large graphic SPRITE :) and its in there (as an actor) but the main character goes underneat it! Is there z-index or something for actors? I can rightclick "move to front" but wont let me move it behind. Also what are "planes" thanks

im coming from as3 background is there an equivilant of textbox.text="hello im some text" layer=0 (BEHIND the character? z-index idea) maybe controlling the message box/input field. Otherwise i have to go with text as graphic (combo of tiles and big graphics) although when i make a big graphic and "billboard" it the character walks on top but then gets underneath it somehow in the middle. I put on "particles" to help billboard stay in back but I dont need particles- just sharing . thanks.
Last edited by zartan917 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:16 pm

In the sprite editor, you can click on the image preview which will take you to image placement parameters that you will need to use to get the placement of the image right. There is a 3D view tab there that will give you a clear idea of what you are doing, since you can move the camera around(shift+middle mouse click) and it shows you where your center is, and ground level. Using the parameter boxes and dials, you should position your image so it is standing straight up, and above ground level(height is up to you, as long as it's above ground level)

You want billboard unchecked for something like this also, as that forces the images to always face the camera.

The reason you can't use a message box in this way is because interfaces and the game world are rendered completely separate from each other. You actually see the game through a camera view field in it's own interface.

Return to Technical Support Questions