Alien-Killin' Fun!!! - Version 1.1 Released!

For completed games made with 001.
Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Alien-Killin' Fun!!! - Version 1.1 Released!

Postby Wonderland » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 am

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

You are Billy Hill, a southerner stereotype. Some aliens kidnap you and take them to your mother-ship. It's time to kick butt and get back home.

-Fast, "mature" shooter
-Dry humour
-10 non-linear levels with lots of exploration, loot, and collectibles
-Each time you play will be slightly different
-Several weapons, some goofy and some not, to kick several type of alien butt
-Destructible scenery

It should release pretty soon, as it is nearly complete. I abandoned it for a while but just decided to come back to it and maybe get some feedback. And finally release something.

EDIT: Updated as of August 7th:
Version 1.0 is out! Please give it a try if you are interested, and post feedback!

EDIT: Updated as of August 19th:
Version 1.1 is out due to an update! Fixed collisions and visual glitches, lessened number of log messages displayed, and made it so doors could be opened with the E button.

EDIT: Updated as of August 30th:
Version 1.2 is out due to an update! Added the ability to zoom the camera in and out.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.engine001.com/games/Alien-Killin%27+Fun%21%21%21_3533.htm

Kilatorian
001 Support

Re: Alien-Killin' Fun!!!

Postby Kilatorian » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:26 pm

One of my favorite past-times just happens to be kickin alien butt. That and chewing bubble gum, but it's been a long time since I've had any bubble gum.

I'm pretty sure this is why aliens haven't visited earth yet, they just see us wanting to kill them all the time :D

Do you aim with the mouse or do you aim in the direction your character is facing? Speaking of goofy weapons, do the aliens probe you and and can you use your, um, butt probe, as a weapon? Maybe you could add a secret quest to remove the probe, and it's the ultimate weapon.

it's awesome you're going to release something, that's gotta feel good.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:02 am

Your aim is controlled by the mouse. I guess it's up to the imagination on whether or not they probe you...? :lol: The aliens are after humans for a specific purpose, which you may be able to piece together through listening to audio logs.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:17 am

Is it fully comedy, or there will be some serious part ?

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Re: Alien-Killin' Fun!!! - Version 1.0 Released!

Postby Wonderland » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:13 am

None of it is really that serious. :)

EDIT: And it's released! http://www.engine001.com/games/Alien-Killin%27+Fun%21%21%21_3533.htm

It will probably remain as a "game in progress" until after I receive feedback and act on it.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Re: Alien-Killin' Fun!!! - Version 1.0 Released!

Postby Danny » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:34 pm

Certainly something new that's for sure! I actually enjoyed it until i died :( I recommend allowing the "E" button to also open/interact with things instead of the "Enter" button. I use W, A, S & D to walk around (On left side of keyboard) and my mouse to aim and shoot and i have to keep letting go of walking or the mouse to open a door with enter.

Also when you kill your first alien and pick up the crowbar i think auto equipping it the first time round would help and also equipping your first ever projectile weapon the first time round, after that no more auto equipping.

Also some icons displaying over destroyable objects when close would help, music was good, didn't get annoying at all and felt like it was helping me move around on a killing spree. Great game, really enjoyed it, keep it up. :D

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Re: Alien-Killin' Fun!!! - Version 1.1 Released!

Postby Wonderland » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:43 am

Danny wrote:Certainly something new that's for sure! I actually enjoyed it until i died :( I recommend allowing the "E" button to also open/interact with things instead of the "Enter" button. I use W, A, S & D to walk around (On left side of keyboard) and my mouse to aim and shoot and i have to keep letting go of walking or the mouse to open a door with enter.

Also when you kill your first alien and pick up the crowbar i think auto equipping it the first time round would help and also equipping your first ever projectile weapon the first time round, after that no more auto equipping.

Also some icons displaying over destroyable objects when close would help, music was good, didn't get annoying at all and felt like it was helping me move around on a killing spree. Great game, really enjoyed it, keep it up. :D

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it! Good ideas too. Yeah, I actually meant to change the interact button but forgot, I found it awkward too ha ha. It slowed the game down, switching back and forth with your hands. And speaking of which, I'm glad my intention with the music came across. It's supposed to be the impetus for your movement and the fast action, similar to the heavy metal in Doom.

EDIT: As of August 10th, I am working on an upcoming update that will fix a few collision boxes for objects in the game (some were really screwy and I didn't realize), make it so some of the items you can pickup don't spawn halfway in the floor (like the Mojo Cola), lessen the amount of log messages you get, and allow you to press the E button to open doors. It should be out in the next week or two I'd imagine.

EDIT: As of August 19th, that first update is up!
Last edited by Wonderland on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:03 pm

I gave it a go. It was a little hard to stay alive because it's so fast paced but zoomed in, but it was fun and challenging :)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 am

Good to hear! Do you suggest I zoom out a bit?

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 am

Giving the player a couple of zooming options would be best.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Re: Alien-Killin' Fun!!! - Version 1.2 Released!

Postby Wonderland » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:11 am

I could probably add a zoom in and zoom out button or something like that.

A new update is up, adding a couple of buttons in-game that lets you zoom the camera in and out. I think I'll consider this complete for now, but I may still make updates if given feedback.
Last edited by Wonderland on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Kuresu

Postby Kuresu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:44 pm

It's not a bad game, good for simple, mindless fun, but I had some problems with it. Maybe if these are fixed in a future version I can enjoy the game as it's supposed to.

The camera angle is kinda problematic sometimes, but it's understandable why it is as it is, otherwise the sprites would look weird, so I'll let it slide.

It's nice to have a lot of weapon options for the player, but I couldn't use most of them because of the lack of ammo. Aliens drop their weapon instead of dropping ammo, and that causes the player to have a massive amount of the same weapon but no ammo for them.

The maps are usually boring and repetitive, usually consisting of mazes and corridor that look all the same to me. Maybe changing more drastically the walls textures to give some change to the player (yes, I know it's supposed to be inside a spaceship, but you can easily make each stage take part in a different section of the ship) and putting more objects to make the maps feel less empty.

Oh, and the Ray Gun pickup sprite is WAY bigger than it should, this I'll count as bug, but it can be easily fixed I suppose.

I'm just criticizing because I want to see the game improve, so it can reach it's full potential! Hope you don't get mad at me or anything. :)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:30 am

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for playing! :D

Return to Completed Games