Mouseover in Top Down

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Whoacoder
001 Support

Mouseover in Top Down

Postby Whoacoder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:33 pm

I am experiencing a strange issue where I am able to MouseOver objects/sprites from areas well above or below the actual displayed actor/sprite. I am using the Top Down camera mode, all sprites are set to Billboard, almost all of them use no Collision boxes, all sprites are oriented at (0,0,0) and each actor uses a Mouse Entered/Mouse Left trigger to trigger a highlight effect.

Though for some reason, I am able to fire a mouseover trigger when I am nowhere near the object. The effect seems greater on my larger objects, so I've included several screenshots for a few examples. I am a bit perplexed.
Attachments
Bug3.png
But for all objects, it only does this on the Y axis, as I can place the cursor to the right or left of each object without firing the trigger
Bug2.png
Smaller objects have a smaller space, but it still fires when above or below the actor
Bug1.png
I am able to Mouseover the object from way above it on the map

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Re: Mouseover in Top Down

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Are you able to give it a collision? It may be using some default thing. If that doesn't change things, just send a bug report through the software and we'll check it out.

Whoacoder
001 Support

Postby Whoacoder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:20 pm

I tested a few a few sprites and added collision boxes to them. My ship can fly right into the edges of the collision boxes but the MouseOver still seems to highlight a distance away from the actor haha. I will submit a report!
Attachments
Bug1.png
Here is the ship flying right into the edge of the collision box, but the mouseover trigger still firing from below the object/sprite
Bug1.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 777 times

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:25 pm

You have the map's/camera's view set to 45 degrees rather than Top, which is causing you to select the extrusion of the visual rectangle. Change it to Top and you should have less issues.

I've also made selection based on collision when it's provided, but have left the old system in place when there is no collision specified. This will overall make things a bit tighter. However, you will still need to change your view to Top to get the results you're expecting.

Alternatively, if you are wanting per-pixel accuracy, you will need to change that project setting - performance may be affected from doing so.

Whoacoder
001 Support

Postby Whoacoder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Strange, I've only ever had the space map in Top mode (As shown in the screenshot), though my surface maps do use the 45? It makes perfect sense since I thought it was exhibiting something that seemed like it was in a different camera mode, but quite certain it's set to Top and it is doing the same thing. Even just now after checking, changing the mode, and setting it back to Top. Still good information with the collision selection, I will definitely keep that in mind as well!

Edit: If I drop an event into the Player Enters on the map to set the mode to Top, it does switch it to Top view and fixes the MouseOver issue, though I'm not sure why setting my map to Top in the map properties does not do this (I don't have anything in between the Title Screen and the first map that changes the camera mode) Ultimately, I've just gone with the solution of changing the mode to Top whenever I change to a space map heh.
Attachments
Lol.JPG

Return to Technical Support Questions