Music still doesn't repeat sometimes

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Music still doesn't repeat sometimes

Postby fma_lvr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:44 pm

So, this is actually an issue that's persisted for a couple years, but I am pretty sure I saw a fix for it at least once. My version is up to date, I'm not sure why this still happens. It's inconsistent, but most music seems to either stop permanently after playing once, or leave silence for a while, perhaps a couple minutes, until it suddenly starts over.

The intention here is to have the music loop without silence. I've almost exclusively used the Environment map setting for music, so that each piece plays persistently until the map is changed.
Side note: sometimes if I load a game save in which a piece of music was playing (due to a scripted event for this) that is different from the map Environment music, the game will play the Environment music instead of what had been scripted to play. I'm not sure if there's a workaround script I could apply to this, but it's less important than the first issue.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Re: Music still doesn't repeat sometimes

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 am

It might be due to MIDI - if you use OGG, you should get better results. Certain MIDI features are not supported, and the format is pretty dated. Let me know if it helps.

fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Postby fma_lvr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Mike wrote:It might be due to MIDI - if you use OGG, you should get better results. Certain MIDI features are not supported, and the format is pretty dated. Let me know if it helps.

I've made some of my own music but I still moatly use the MIDI tracks that came with the engine. How could I change the type? Or will this just be an issue with the default music?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Hmm. It may be an issue with the original music indeed, or just the way 001 plays them. There are likely tools out there to convert MIDI to OGG, and they might even sound better than the way 001 does them.

OGG is supported on all platforms, and will sound consistent on any device/program. They may use up more memory, but they are better on performance.

fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Postby fma_lvr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Mike wrote:Hmm. It may be an issue with the original music indeed, or just the way 001 plays them. There are likely tools out there to convert MIDI to OGG, and they might even sound better than the way 001 does them.

OGG is supported on all platforms, and will sound consistent on any device/program. They may use up more memory, but they are better on performance.

I'm not necessarily worried about memory, although I've been wondering how much I can have in the engine, or rather, how much there could be before there's a problem. I've got upwards of 1000 actors on roughly 300 maps, over 100 switches, a few dozen global variables....I don't know what would happen to load times and whatnot if I continue to expand, which I plan to do.
Either way, if converting to OGG could solve the problem, I'll try that.

Return to Technical Support Questions