Idle Animation is playing while not Idle

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Idle Animation is playing while not Idle

Postby thebluejester » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 am

Hi all!

So I have a "mask" where every animation/pose is blank except the "idle" pose; where I have a set of eyes that blink. I only want this animation to play when the character is idle. At the moment it plays the "idle" pose animation while walking even though the mask sprite has no animation for walking. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

While writing this out I came up with the idea that I could give blank frames to the "walking" pose of the mask. But I feel like maybe this is a bug or there is a trick I need to learn so I'd still like to hear responses. :)

Thanks so much

*Edit* Adding blank frames to the walking pose has "fixed" the issue. But I feel like that shouldn't be necessary?

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Idle Animation is playing while not Idle

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:01 am

Kinda-sorta-bug? To me, it feels like the engine does this as its just defaulting to its only option. For instance, if you only have an idle pose when you move, should the body pose and all layers just disappear? Would seem silly to have to copy idle frames into the walking frames since you want them to be identical. This also applies to if you have walking frames but no idle frames set, should everything just disappear when idle?

Using blank frames is definitely a usable option. Do you have a more elegant solution to the issue than this?
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Re: Idle Animation is playing while not Idle

Postby thebluejester » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 am

Yeah, I can see that. Automatically using Walking frames for Idle if there is no idle frames makes a lot of sense. The reverse a little less sense, but I can understand why it's set up like that.

I've just gone with using blank frames for walking at the moment. It's solved the issue and doesn't require much effort or impacts anything else really.

I'd actually love the eye blinking animation to run while walking too but during walking the eyes shift up and down so I will have to make a custom set of frames if I decide walking gets them too.

I feel like idle animation bring a lot of life to games without a huge amount of work :D.

Thanks Mr. Numbers, super helpful as always!

Return to Technical Support Questions