Project Gemini [Update 9/22/15]

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Arseo
001 Supporter

Location: Somewhere between The Dark Side of the Moon and Silent Hill

Project Gemini [Update 9/22/15]

Postby Arseo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:05 pm

UPDATE - 9/22/15

Firstly, I'd like to thank those who played this. The original contest build will be online until the end of the judging period (few more weeks). It will then be replaced with the new Proof of Concept build. The original contest build will still be available via Google Drive upon request.

This new build will contain the following:
-Dynamic World Lighting
-Character Interaction
-Consequence Based Actions (exaggerated for this build)
-Save Game/Load Game Feature

Due to the nature of this project, voice acting WILL NOT be present in this Proof of Concept build. While it is possible that this may change, odds are it won't. As with all future Arseo Production titles, however, any final build will have full voice acting.

Proof of Concept build will be posted around October 13, 2015.
Last edited by Arseo on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:18 am, edited 9 times in total.
There was a website here. It's gone now.

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Project Gemini (IGMC2015 Submission)

Postby kararty » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:38 am

Don't forget to add the "Growth" twist. ;)

The Twist: Growth

This contest has a TWIST! A one word theme that your game must use in some way. And that word is GROWTH. You can incorporate it into your gameplay, your story, your characters or any other way you see fit. You may, if you wish, include a 50 word description of how you used the theme word in a separate text file, as being obvious is not always the same as being good. Adherence to the twist can earn you and additional 0 and 10 bonus points.
Mike wrote:...

Image<~~~|Get over here!

Arseo
001 Supporter

Postby Arseo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:38 am

I won't. Already have it included both hidden (main character's sanity), and so obvious it's almost insulting the player when talking about "Growth" (namely, the maps actually growing larger).

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Arseo wrote:I won't. Already have it included both hidden (main character's sanity), and so obvious it's almost insulting the player when talking about "Growth" (namely, the maps actually growing larger).

Haha, that sounds great! :lol:

Image<~~~|Get over here!

Arseo
001 Supporter

Postby Arseo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:59 am

Uploaded an (extremely) early build. Contains the first two Awake/Dream cycles. As noted on both the download page and in the game itself, the following items are not present in the early build:

Voice Acting
Music
Some SFX
Final Art Assets

http://www.engine001.com/games/Project%20Gemini_3391.htm

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Project Gemini [Update 7/18/15 Screenshots and DL]

Postby gerardred » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Hmm... remind me of the game "Neverending Nigtmare"

Arseo
001 Supporter

Re: Project Gemini [Update 8/6/15 Contest Build DL]

Postby Arseo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:37 pm

I think I've had that sitting in my Steam library for a while now. Never played it though, but from what I remember hearing about it, I can see it. If I were to describe it based on what it's like, I guess I would say something like Neverending Nightmare meets PT.

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Dude, please tell the inputs, hotkeys and stuff, I'm walking around cluelessly xd.
The voice-acting is spot on! :lol:

Image<~~~|Get over here!

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:31 am

A 001 game with actual actor talking! WOW :D I actually felt something about 30 seconds into this game that made me want to keep playing. The dude that talks makes me think hes a teenager thas really laid back.

I came upon a issue though, i went to the basement and to the door and after he spoke twice about the door handle being missing all the time hes had the nightmare the message box froze and controls stopped working i had to quit. "I doubt one is going to grow while i stand here" is the one it got stuck on.

I feel the maps are a little big with hardly any tilesets so it looks bare but i presume with this being a game your working on this will change over time. I really enjoyed your game and even after the crash i still went back on it (Minimised right now while i submit the crash to you) Anyway good game so far, i have to go got more of your game to play. :D

Edit: Voice overlaps when searching for things, for example searching the filing cabinet then quickly searching the desk will still play the original voice but this occurs for everything with voice input.

In the bedroom if you repeatedly press your enter key at the door it will play the script over and over until you stop pressing enter also the same will occur if interacting with the bed (Once you decide to sleep again)

In the bathroom after you interact with the toilet and the screen goes black you are able to still walk in the background and actually leave the bathroom while the screen is still black.

When falling asleep for a "2nd" time theres a spelling error. (Was going to say what it was but seems the message box closed off)

When the mirrow dream is on and get out of bed and approach the mirror the entire voice acting overlaps and also the message box won't go off screen but the game is still playable. "Thats right am dreaming right now it must be it" but once you go into interact with another message box the new message box comes up and you can't get off it and the game freezes.

I will continue the game later as i don't feel up to playing again due to no saving option. But i see this game getting somewhere, keep it up.
Last edited by Danny on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Arseo
001 Supporter

Postby Arseo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Thank you for your review.

Danny wrote:A 001 game with actual actor talking! WOW :D I actually felt something about 30 seconds into this game that made me want to keep playing. The dude that talks makes me think hes a teenager thas really laid back.

Actual voiced characters is something that I feel sets a project, be it a game or even an RPG mod, apart. I find it has that little edge on other things to make someone sit up and take notice, even if it turns out to be standard or somewhat below standard. In the coming months, I plan to start working with theater majors (via headhunting done by my sister) for voice acting in finished projects, including this one.

I came upon a issue though, i went to the basement and to the door and after he spoke twice about the door handle being missing all the time hes had the nightmare the message box froze and controls stopped working i had to quit. "I doubt one is going to grow while i stand here" is the one it got stuck on.

This I find pretty disturbing. Were you spamming the "E" or "Enter" key when this happened?

I feel the maps are a little big with hardly any tilesets so it looks bare but i presume with this being a game your working on this will change over time.

As noted above, my artistic ability in making tilesets is rather...bad. Depending on where I decide to take this after the judging period is over, I'll probably hire someone to make tilesets for this.

Voice overlaps when searching for things, for example searching the filing cabinet then quickly searching the desk will still play the original voice but this occurs for everything with voice input.

This comes from having two zones right next to each other. I had thought I got all of them, but I guess I missed this one.

In the bedroom if you repeatedly press your enter key at the door it will play the script over and over until you stop pressing enter also the same will occur if interacting with the bed (Once you decide to sleep again)

In the bathroom after you interact with the toilet and the screen goes black you are able to still walk in the background and actually leave the bathroom while the screen is still black.

Something else I hoped I had gotten rid of. The "Enable/Disable Input" has been buggy at best, it seems.

When the mirrow dream is on and get out of bed and approach the mirror the entire voice acting overlaps and also the message box won't go off screen but the game is still playable. "Thats right am dreaming right now it must be it" but once you go into interact with another message box the new message box comes up and you can't get off it and the game freezes.

I tried this out just now, and wasn't able to replicate. May I ask how you got it to happen?

I will continue the game later as i don't feel up to playing again due to no saving option. But i see this game getting somewhere, keep it up.

Due to the nature of the contest this was entered in (basically have a playable alpha-build, since I've seen very few "finished" projects submitted), the max playtime the judges will do is one hour. During the final test run before I uploaded it, the game came in around fifty-five minutes, exploring everything.

That being said, the next build (Post-Contest Build, 10-11-15), will have a fixed save feature. Basically, where the ending is here, there will be an option to either have it end where the Contest Build did, or continue on. Should the player decide to continue on, they will have the option o save. As such, there will be an option to save every eight day cycles.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Actual voiced characters is something that I feel sets a project, be it a game or even an RPG mod, apart. I find it has that little edge on other things to make someone sit up and take notice, even if it turns out to be standard or somewhat below standard. In the coming months, I plan to start working with theater majors (via headhunting done by my sister) for voice acting in finished projects, including this one.

I agree. The voice acting was good to, was that you?

This I find pretty disturbing. Were you spamming the "E" or "Enter" key when this happened?

I don't think i was spamming that fast i just read fast then press enter after, i guess it could be. You can disable zones after you activated them and they still play scripts inside them, maybe that might help? Just remember to enable them after.

I tried this out just now, and wasn't able to replicate. May I ask how you got it to happen?

Well as soon as he got out of bed i noticed the mirror so i went over to it instantly and pressed enter. Pretty much all i did.

Arseo
001 Supporter

Postby Arseo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Yeah, that was me voicing the character. Tried putting a rougher grate on the voice, to give the idea of having been isolated for a long period of time, and thus not talking much. Was something people noticed with me after just two weeks a few years back, so I like to put that in when dealing with ideas such as "isolation" and being alone.

As for the crashes, all I can figure is that the "Enable/Disable Input" script isn't working. In theory and as scripted, the game fades in and the character starts to make comments, then notices the mirror.

script1.png

As seen here, the script starts after checking that the needed switch has been tripped. It then disables Menu and Regular inputs. As I've seen before, this complete disables all controls (with the sad exception of "Use" command, which can lead to a script running twice). This script ends with the character being teleported to the next map.

script2.png

After the script runs, with comments being made, inputs are enabled again. For some reason, though, I'm guessing the command is not working, especially since one of the things you mentioned was being able to walk around during the fade in the bathroom during the first day.

script3.png

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Theres no other scripts anywhere enabling the input triggers?

Arseo
001 Supporter

Re: Project Gemini [Update 9/22/15]

Postby Arseo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 am

Unless there's a hidden one somewhere in the actual programming that makes up the engine itself, no.

Information on next build posted. Please check first post.
Last edited by Arseo on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Last bumped by Arseo on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 am.

Return to Games In Progress