Best gaming processors

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
DolphinLover30
001 Supporter

Best gaming processors

Postby DolphinLover30 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 pm

O.K. been a while since I have posted and have noticed in profiles lots of gamers with Intel chipsets and Ge-Force graphics. Not a shabby setup but I have been a 3D renderer and artist since 1999 and have always gone with the AMD setup for graphics. Basically Intel and AMD have no real difference except the size of the chips and that is where graphics come in hany for AMD. Intel is super fast at word processing and those style tasks for personal computing but the size of the AMD and its heatsink give it lots more potential for graphics and 3D rendering as it will dissipate heat at a much faster rate staying cooler therefore running faster. Now some have those liquid colling systems on their computers and yes it does work wonders but still again, the percentage cooler AMD stays for gaming and graphics make it a longer living workhorse for it. As for the video I have used all the systems and ATI is the only one I have had flawless success with. Same theory there, larger chips than GeForce so cooling is handled better. Some have said "Bigger is better" and for gaming and graphics they are right. I have even run a few tests using a 2004 AMD XP 2800 PC against a brand new Intel dual core and seen impressive results. I wont bash Intel in any way but my use of a PC is for gaming and graphics therefore I have chosen the better way to go but I am strictly for gaming and graphics nothing else which I do know Intel handles better. Just a nickles worth of advice for anyone starting up gaming mostly. Save a few bucks and go with AMD and ATI you will not be dissappointed. Everyone has there advantages and disadvantages heres a hand up for an advantage. 8)
September 13, 1999 was a hell of a day to quit smoking and drinking!

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Re: Best gaming processors

Postby Deedasmi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am

Actually, Intel released a couple new proccessor that use what they call "Sandy bridge" Which use a 35nm architecture, down form the 50nm of a normal proccessor

It runs faster, draws less power, runs cooler, overclocks easier (all motherboards have mouse-enabled BIOS, with overclocking options easily selectable) up to 4.4 GH/z effectivly and easily. Becasue it draws so little power to run that speed, cooling isn't an issue. The price? Exactly the same as the old proccessors. Literally $0 price increase over the i5 and i7 proccesors using the normal architecture.

Despite how amazing this soounds, their making it even smaller and more efficiant. Intel is already setting plants up to make "Ivy-bridge" (I think thats it's name) which is only 25(or 22?) nm architecture.

And as far as I've seen, AMD has been quite on this front.

Graphics card wise: I'm pretty neutrul on them. I used Nvidia for years and years, and heard a lot of bad things about ATI. But this laptop came with an ATI card, and I haven't had too many troubles with it. So Im still pretty neutral.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

My Dad doesn't like the i3-i5-i7 line, I can't remember why though.
I think We use Nvidia too.

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 pm

ATI isn't that bad. Only thing I had recognized was in TrackMania there's no detailed grass on the ground and the lighting physics is unlike that of an nVidia graphics card. Anything else is almost the same on nVidia as well as on ATI.
Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) Click Here Image

sonic swordmaster
001 Fanatic

Postby sonic swordmaster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:03 am

If it's purely for gaming then go with amd and ATI. the phenom II is right on par with the i7 when it comes to gaming so you would be able to save the money you would have spent on the i7 or i5 and spend it on a better graphics card, more ram, or a better motherboard. I just built a gaming PC for a friend of mine based on the AMD's six core processes and its really fast.

Here is another thing to remember. the graphics card will be the biggest factor in your gaming performance. you don't have to get a super expensive cpu. just make sure it's not a budget cpu like a celaron, pentium, or sempron. ;)
Last edited by sonic swordmaster on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
Dragged down into the ocean of oblivion

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 am

My little dual-core is getting outdated! I thought it would never happen. Well, guess it happened to the Centrino. Maybe... Maybe... It's Vista causing my slow performance!

Aaaand I have no clue what my Intel Chipset brings in terms of graphics. Vista gave me a 3.4 on graphics processing.
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Return to General Discussion