Zombie Swarm

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
tracelight24
001 Admirer

Zombie Swarm

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:19 am

Okey dokey, this game is in progress :) gonna work some more on it.

A classic zombie game in which you purchase weapons and earn points by killing zombies. You get to explore eerie maps while zombies slowly inch towards you. There are currently 2 maps.

Zombie Swarm v2.5 Finished-
See games section for more info

v1 finished.
v1.5 finished. available for download
v2 finished. available for download!!!

-Tai

New Level Idea:
Request one (you can request a type of map- e.g. "a huge labyrinth" or "a zombie challenge map" or something)

Credits so far:
MIV- for vital suggestions
Now3r3- for zombie char.

Tell me if I haven't included you.

X = completed

To Do List:
-Make Antidote to zombie bite -X
-Make cooler zombies (more blood effects possibly) -
-New weapons -
-New town map -
-Zombie variants -
-Zombies "dropping" stuff -
-Buying ammunition separately -
-Work on reducing game size -

Please request bug fixes etc. plus suggestions for any map or any part of the game!
Look down for new HUD!

---Feel free to request a feature for the next version!!
Attachments
screenieNewHud.JPG
New HUD!
hud001.JPG
HUD
Last edited by tracelight24 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am, edited 16 times in total.
modern day warrior mean mean stride

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Re: Zombie Swarm v1.0

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:51 am

If it was completed, you wouldn't need to update it really.

Might I suggest, as this is a zombie game, make it unique in some way.
Does it have a story behind it? Because I like the idea of just a minigame kind of feel.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:27 am

Without a story, it's just another cliched zombie game. Hackneyed. Banal. Boring.
But if classic is what you want, I'd suggest doing a very good job on graphics and setting, lest you want a pathetic rating.
I'd actually like to see your graphics for once, because I will not waste megabytes of computer storage space on anything involving zombies looking like green topless men.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:54 am

MIV wrote:green topless men.
Haha very cliched indeed. Full customs would be a good way to do it.

ves75
001 Fanatic

Postby ves75 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:26 am

The sounds of it reminds me of a poorly made Left4Dead clone.. granted there are some differences...The fact it isn't multi-player is one.. But the game play is very similar... the Goal survival... OK I got this much. Now, It is plainly obvious that there is no to little plot ... This should be compensated with improved custom graphics... even then It might be advisable to add a plot... with that said some screens would be nice.
Pure Randomness!
New Website:VeSaban Entertainment Games
new and fresh... all about creating indie games from video games to pen and paper games.....
all coded in php by one person... now is ready for users to come along and try the boring old site..:D
well decide fer yourself... suggestions wanted

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:15 am

ves75 wrote:The sounds of it reminds me of a poorly made Left4Dead clone.. granted there are some differences...The fact it isn't multi-player is one.. But the game play is very similar... the Goal survival... OK I got this much. Now, It is plainly obvious that there is no to little plot ... This should be compensated with improved custom graphics... even then It might be advisable to add a plot... with that said some screens would be nice.

It's a clone of the zombie survival genre in general, mate.
Yes, without a plot your only safeguard is a proper setting, proper character development and DECENT, ZOMBIE-LIKE graphics. Trust me, lack any of these and you'll instantly be catapulted to the bottom of the game listings. Or worse yet, lack all and nobody will know you even exist. So please, do us a favor and either compensate the plot with good graphics or get a decent plot.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:05 am

Ugh..

Well, thanks for feedback. Yeah, I guess it might need a plot. But I think I like the graphics idea better. And it'
s only the first version. Hey, how far did you get? Did you explore the level a bit? I'll try the graphics thing, and please give me some ideas for adding a plot to a game like this (if you think its necessary).

lol green topless men. Well, I've been working on this game really hard and for me its an accomplishment at least. I'll go back in there and change some things, but don't think I'm giving up. I'm going to make this game better.

Just give some suggestions, thanks for the ones you already gave.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Try making your own style of character that doesn't look anything like the default one. Add a cartoony effect to it if you could. Zombie games dont all have to be realistic-like.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:22 am

Yeah, I'm going to add some limb-less characters and maybe some more blood. Also gonna add a new map thats going to be much larger and have more features. It's going to be awesome.

I appreciate all the comments so far!
Last edited by tracelight24 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:55 am

Limbless is for people who cant be bothered to make the animations. Like Rayman I take it?

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:27 am

Stephen Chapman wrote:Limbless is for people who cant be bothered to make the animations. Like Rayman I take it?

:lol:

If he wasn't limbless, he'd be harder to recognize. After all, he can punch longer than an arm would. And use his body for basket too. And drive his own shoe like a car when he shrinks. It was original. :)

Limbless could be harder to animate if they're missing a leg, or their attacking arm, but else it really doesn't matter.

Anyways, I would love to have a screenshot here or two. I really want to see the customs you're going to put in.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:03 am

Not that I love it, but I'm not willing to play without any screenshot previews.
Apart from limbless characters, what else can you do? I'm sure the blood-covered, slightly deformed zombie is already cliched in the game communities as we speak. Perhaps you can achieve a certain style with your zombies? Plants vs Zombies wasn't exactly a good game, but they merged the horror and comedy genres quite decently.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Apart from my simple zombies, how may I improve gameplay? Because that's really the area I want to improve right now. I play it and think its fun, but it does get a bit boring after a while. That's why I want to make a larger, cooler map. But do you have any ideas on how I may improve the actual playing? Like maybe add different modes of gameplay, liked timed or points or something.

TheRunner
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby TheRunner » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Being able to find Wood boards, and nails.

And being able to place a barricade anywhere you want.

It would add to the gameplay, and make it 10 times more funner.
"As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue."

- Albert Einstein

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 pm

The game seemed to be extremely slow. You get 5 dollars for every zombie, and it's a slow respawning. It would litterally take forever to be able to do anything.

SoundCloud
Project blog

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:25 pm

k, i'll make respawn faster and give a better reward for each one.

I like the barrier idea, but I'm not sure how I could create something like that. Any ideas?

Thanks, and If you have any other cool ideas, please comment.

ves75
001 Fanatic

Postby ves75 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Dynamic objects, movable blocks(or blocking zones), and an item... for starters
Pure Randomness!
New Website:VeSaban Entertainment Games
new and fresh... all about creating indie games from video games to pen and paper games.....
all coded in php by one person... now is ready for users to come along and try the boring old site..:D
well decide fer yourself... suggestions wanted

Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Xzu » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 am

Make the reward for killing a zombie a random amount of cash instead of a set value of 5. Make it range from say 5-15$.
Untitled Game.
Currently Working On: Resources - Weapons
Weapon Progression: 14/56

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:09 am

tracelight24 wrote:I like the barrier idea, but I'm not sure how I could create something like that. Any ideas?

Make a zone, then use an event called Enable/Disable Zone Blocking(or something like that). It's usually best if it's temporary, a barricade doesn't have to last forever.

Or you could put in a "meatshield" as barricade. Practically, spawn a character with loads of HP, and put it as a barricade. When the zombies have beaten it, they can get past it. Make sure it doesn't spawn ON the zombies, as that will cause them to possible freeze and destory the game. Maybe put a Walk to Location for the barricade meatshield character. The v.1.6 doesn't give scripting errors when that event fails - You can choose what happens when it fails or goes into success. Or you could enable the AI on the meatshield but leave no weapons for them, so zombies will attack it until you die. Like a scapegoat.

I also would love if the map would be bigger. You should be able to open up to 10 areas with all types of different weapons - This challenges the player in terms of money, entrances, and weapons. Would you unlock a few areas for a powerful weapon? Can you have enough money to hold out by then? I'd love to see a much bigger map. It would require intense tactical playing.

SoundCloud
Project blog

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Re: Zombie Swarm

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm

First off, I'm so glad Scaveleon that you like my game enough at least to give some extremely useful advice on how to improve. I will definitley make random branches for rewards now (that was a great idea-creds to xzu). And maybe for experience too! It will take a lot of scripting but I shall do it.

As for the barriers, I love the meatshield idea. Definitley going to incorperate that in later maps. I also already understand how to make the regular barriers that you activate (that could be extremely useful).

I've got some work to do in real life, so i'll have to spend my time wisely (schoolwork that is). But I'm going to release version 1.5 in abit (just an improved version of the first map.) When that comes out, tell me how i can improve there and whether i should start working on the next map.

Thanks guys! you rock!

i know this will be merged, but when will they let me upload v1.5? just curious if anyone knows.

bump please- and comment telling me ideas!
Last edited by tracelight24 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:11 pm

So far i love the game. It's actually really fun. Just gets a little boring playing the same map. I understand your working on another one right now. But also i hate the fact that if your touched by one of the zombies you loss health non stop even after you die.

But anyways let me just get to what i really want to say.

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH that I am inspired to make one. I will however just have this in my game as a Mini-game with several maps.
I love this game because it's basically Nazi zombies made through this. And it's the RPG version not the FPS. Ive been wanting to make a game like Nazi Zombies on here for a while. Just never knew how. Now im inspired to figure it out and upload a download(haha this sounds funny upload a download....haha) and so far i have figured it out.

Ill be making a forum for my game soon.

-Tyler(Now3r3)
I make tutorials for new and old users. PM me what you want to see a tutorial on!

http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22931

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm really glad you like it, Tyler

Yeah, there is a 1/7 chance of getting "bitten" by a zombie (just to make it more realistic). So when you are bitten your hp slowly depletes :) I'm so glad you got inspired by it tho! Yeah, I'm actually working on 2 maps right now. This next one is going to be more of an outdoor map. After that I'm making a giant map called "shatter" which is going to be one of the best! So, anyways, give me anymore feedback that you want to (I love feedback!!!!) and catch you later.

Yeah, I'm trying to make it pretty interesting and fun, and have lots of exploration. :D Hope your game kicks ass!

-Tai

TheRunner
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby TheRunner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:39 pm

I dunno if its me, but a couple errors came up when I downloaded the latest version.
Internal error:14
Out of string space

And

Could not load resource file properly. Make sure the DATA.1RC file is located in the same folder as .

- Albert Einstein

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Probably just you cause it works perfect for me.

I love the fact that the zombies dont RUN at you(on noob at least) also do what that one guy said make it so when you kill a zombie its a random amount of money ranging from $5-$15. also the barrier idea sounds so awesome.

Theres only 1 problem in the way of me making my game. Well actually 2

1. My Character AI needs to see the player otherwise it wont start walking towards the player.(anyone have an idea on how to fix this?)

2. I cant edit my interface field areas that have the little grey square.(i have to wait for the new new version to come out.)

But ya. So far i think ive got a great story line. Go to the games section and look for a game called Zombies vs. Human although i dont have the COMPLETE storyline on there. If you want that just PM me and ill reply.

This game is awesome. I love it. I hope everyone else loves it. And i hope Tai loves my game. (when it comes out)

-Tyler(now3r3)
I make tutorials for new and old users. PM me what you want to see a tutorial on!

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks lots again tyler.

I know just how to solve your problem! (the first one atleast)

Make the AI (the zombies) have the auto-movement- Follow player. This will make them stalk you, wherever you are. It's pretty straightforward and accurate on how zombies move. If you need help with other stuff ill help on your *thread i guess :D

I can't wait till you upload yours!

-Tai

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:27 am

Oh my god....i feel like a retard. I should have seen that.

Ok well thank you very much.

One more thing...whats the Retrieve Text / Value for the Main characters amount of money?

-Tyler(now3r3)

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:30 am

Sounds cool. I'll have to give it a try.

@Now3r3 - main.money

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:05 am

First off. I like your game. Maybe instead of Green cans maybe weapon outlines like in cod 5? So I know What I am going to buy before I get there.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:29 am

HAHA Jegar you just told him my secret idea! WHY!!!!! no im joking but that is what im doing.

tracelight24 if you want you can use mine once i finish them.

Zhuge thanks so much. I needed that.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:01 am

Right, less talk, more screens please.
Any improvements since the green, topless man in the game preview?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:01 am

If you want to know that just go play the game. He added 2-5 customs.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:15 pm

I'de say my game is not going to look anywhere near as good as Now3r3 (in terms of graphics). I definitely am focussing on gameplay. So that's why gameplay is fun, but yeah i just get customs off of 001 resources :( lol, If I tried to make a custom myself, I would fail. Epic-ly.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks Tai.

Heres the link to my forum i have uploaded the 2 main things ive finished. Ill be adding a picture of gameplay on there soon.
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12620

OOh ya Tai before i forget if you want to do what i did for buying weapons and ammo go look at the tutorial i put on here on how to do it. It was actually really easy to figure out. Pretty weird thought it would have been hard.

-Tyler

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:09 am

Why not just use a shop?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:32 pm

I think he's trying to make as similar to Nazi zombies as possible. And shop would be fine, but I think he's going to make something with the HUD like a message saying "do you want to buy (weapon)?" that only appears when your in the space or something. that would be awesomesauce

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Lol. awesomesauce....

Well that was my original idea but i have to wait for the updated version of Map 001 because i have the Interface problem where Runtime Error 5 pops up so i cant mess with the Retrieve areas on the Fields. But once i can i am going to start working on that.

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 pm

How's this coming?

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:48 am

Tracelight check out my forum ASAP. I have some pretty good ideas that im posting up there once someone posts anything they can say "blah" for all i care. Also i sent you the email with the resources.

Everyone check out Zombie Swarm. This game is AWESOME. I HIGHLY recommend it to EVERYONE!

TheRunner
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby TheRunner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:20 am

That was really fun, they came at a slow rate at first, but sometimes thats a good thing, so i can get cought up on what im saving my money for.

I like the fact that they dont run, that really helps, their was no music on the first level though, that was a bummer.

I liked activating the trap!

very very very fun game.

- Albert Einstein

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:18 am

The trap is the best thing ever i have to admit. Mind if i use it on a few of my maps?

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:19 am

Ingenious idea; traps.
But maybe you could make it harder by 'setting up' the trap, and leaving the player immobile for some time?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Oh MIV that's a cool idea! Disable player movement for like 5 seconds or something- right? That would be pretty awesome!

Working on an outdoor map currently- called Floating Corpse Lake
(pretty nice name, right? kind of humorous)

glad y'all like my game! sorry for taking a while between uploads. i have school too :(
TheRunner wrote:That was really fun, they came at a slow rate at first, but sometimes thats a good thing, so i can get cought up on what im saving my money for.

I like the fact that they dont run, that really helps, their was no music on the first level though, that was a bummer.

I liked activating the trap!

very very very fun game.

Thanks man! Also, you are right, no music was sort of dumb. Then again, I thought music should be optional. That's why you can play music by pressing enter next to the radio in the other room! :D I will make a radio for every map with seperate songs!

And one final thing- before I spend all my time making cool things for map 2, how about someone give me a list of things to improve on map 1, maybe as a final revision

Thanks,
Tai

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:17 pm

Well heres 1 thing that would be pretty cool in map 1

-Pause/Resume game anytime you are buying a weapon. Otherwise you don't have enough time to read what it says cause your preoccupied watching the zombies.
-Maybe a few more weapons you can buy.

Also did you ever get the email i sent you?

-Tyler

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:51 pm

yep, and cool idea

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Ya. And by the way im pretty sure if you have any questions with zone/char/door/ect. scripts ill have the answer because i do know a lot when it comes down to it. Maybe not as much as someone else but a lot.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:07 pm

i sort of thing not being able to have it paused during gameplay makes it more of a challenge. maybe i will only apply pausing to "noob" mode

1. Added reloading
2. Added new zombie bodies
3. Added pausing if you are in "noob" difficulty.

Going to work on map 2.

Thanks now3r3!
Last edited by tracelight24 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Nice. No problem Tracelight. im gonna go try it out! (you did upload the new data.1rc file right?)

TheRunner
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby TheRunner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:58 pm

I was playing it.

I got pretty far, turned on the radio, pretty awesome music :D

Anyways, when this zombie hit me, my health depleted extremely fast, nonstop then I died.

And he only hit me once.

- Albert Einstein

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:07 pm

im glad you liked the music!

as for the health- in the instructions it says that there is a 1/7 chance that a zombie will bite you. When this happens your health depletes automatically. It's as if a zombie has infected you. Whenever he damages you he's not biting you, he's just hitting you or clawing at you.

:D

as for Now3r3, i am waiting to update the version as soon as I finish the FINAL of this first map. I may add extra features to the map later on, but for now I want to PERFECT this one, so I'm going to need to know any problems, suggestions, and tips just for this map. Nothing to crazy, just fundamental things.

After that, I'll release v1.75 which will have the final Hole in the Wall map. I've started about 15% of map 2.

Thanks,
Tai

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Aww ok sounds pretty awesome so far. Love the music. if you get a chance try re-downloading my game. Ive updated 2 times since the first release.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:06 pm

it's saying to make sure that the Data1rc is in the right folder or something. I don't really know what's wrong. Installation works, playing it after installing does not.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:08 am

Hmmmm ok... well that sucks im sorry for the inconvenience.

Anyways i just had 2 quick questions.

What did you use to make the zombies randomly respawn like they do?
How much health do your zombies have?
(both questions for the Noob difficulty level on your game)

TheRunner
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby TheRunner » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:26 am

Well, I Have the first answer for ya.

You just use timers.

pretty easy if you get used to it : /

- Albert Einstein

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:46 am

Don't advertise your own game on others' game threads, please. We can download, and if you only want him to do so, PM him.

What tracks did you use for the music?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 pm

MIV wrote:What tracks did you use for the music?

Incompetech.com

It's a really, really good website. Also try audionautix.com and soundzabound.com (< I can use this one because it is used at my old school)

*UPDATE: new hud, new points system, awesome new menu music, cool game over screen, and much more. Map 2 is in great progress right now, I have more of it done today. Should be ready soon if I put a lot of time into it!

bump please!

i have a question, can AI that is supposed to follow you, follow you to another map that requires them to touch a zone, without any scripting?
Last edited by tracelight24 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Awesome new map!

Answer to question: Im pretty sure it can.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks! Any comments on it? Suggestions? Problems?

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:39 pm

zombies come like big loads at once. Pretty crazy. and that was on noob experience/difficulty.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 am

So either decrease their spawn or make them easier to kill. You can change their statistics on easy mode, too.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Cool! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it though. So I should probably make noob mode decrease zombie stats? I tried to make a lot of zombies because the map is so big. What did you think about the trap, or the tunnel? How about the shelter?

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:50 am

Make a timer, and name the zombies different things. On spawn, just change the statistics according to the difficulty levels chosen (use a global variable for that).

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:22 pm

It would be really nice if you added a "change existance" event in the death script of all of the zombies. When they pile up, the game slows down and gets all glitchy.

This is a pretty cool idea.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

totally. i could use a timer and make them dissapear after, like 20 seconds or something.

As for the zombie timer stuff, i'm not quite sure what you mean. I understand you may change their statistics. I just think it would be a hassle to change it for ever single zombie. Changing your statistics makes it easier, but I wanna give players what they want. So I'll figure something out.

The way I saw it there were not enough zombies, but hey, everyone looks at it differently... Appreciate the comments once again...

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 am

Or perhaps utilize a more complex script - i.e. track the amount of damage taken so far in a period of time. If the damage taken is too high, reduce the spawn rate, and vice versa, increase it to give a greater challenge.
tracelight24 wrote:totally. i could use a timer and make them dissapear after, like 20 seconds or something.

Try 3-5 seconds. 20 seconds is too slow when you have a horde of these guys.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:42 pm

any updates?

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:44 pm

I have a lot going on in the real world right now. Can't work too much on my game. It would be great if I got some more feedback too. Any kind of feedback, about anything especially in the new level.

Thanks,
Tai

todydejaca
001 Admirer

Postby todydejaca » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Now, just wait for the mouse suport, and this game is going to be the most amazing "swarm" game of ever... :lol:

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:05 am

The fact that it's a swarm game doesn't make it very 'amazing'. I'm still awaiting the response of this: What makes your game unique?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 pm

What makes my game unique...

The intricacy of each level, the amount of exploration + features. I think the most unique part of my game will be the level design, which is what I have the most fun doing.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 am

I'd like to see an example though. Lots of games emphasise on level design too. But games like Left 4 Dead still don't hide the fact that they're just zombie massacres with a pretty bad plot.

tracelight24 wrote:What makes my game unique...

The intricacy of each level, the amount of exploration + features.

What exactly do you mean 'intricate'? And when you mean exploration, do you mean 'search in one corner and find a zombie, kill it and repeat (finding peelz along the way)'? Surely there's more to that.
Lastly, are there any new features implemented that will add replay value to the game?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Update your first post on the first page of any information you gave out over the pages. It makes it easier for members to read the preview of you game and see new features, then scrolling through various pages. And please add a screenshot view.

Graphics: Can't tell.
Story: Sounds okay. It's one of those games where you won't need a story, so can't help much there. Just make sure you add flair, which you did, but you can always add more. 8) What I mean is, you actually made levels where it gets harder.
Hud: Can't tell.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:52 pm

I updated first page with a new screenshot serrafina :)

I'm going to add some requested features, such as bodies dissapearing after being killed (4-10 sec random branch). Also maybe I'll include the feature mentioned by MIV
MIV wrote:Or perhaps utilize a more complex script - i.e. track the amount of damage taken so far in a period of time. If the damage taken is too high, reduce the spawn rate, and vice versa, increase it to give a greater challenge.
tracelight24 wrote:totally. i could use a timer and make them dissapear after, like 20 seconds or something.

Try 3-5 seconds. 20 seconds is too slow when you have a horde of these guys.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:12 pm

[Somehow when you guys mention 'so kindly' it doesn't make me feel like I said it that way...or it could be me.]

Anyways,
Graphics: The house's walls and the tiles is bad to see in the dark, it feels like I might just run into the wall. The outside premises look decent and dark, exactly what you're looking for in a zombie game, good job, just lighten more by the house and change either the walls or tiles.
Hud: Very, very, basic.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:20 pm

I had no idea your HUD even existed.
Anyway, I made a weapon holder for Now3r3, something along a bloody theme. Maybe you could utilize the same, or something like riveted steel textures as a holder. And try to reduce the spacing between the text at the bottom right, and give them a holder as well.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Sounds good. Haven't touched a finger on my game in a while, too busy, but don't worry, im still checking in on the forum, and I love the helpful tips.

For HUD: I agree its very basic, and I should make more stylish "holders". I'm not sure how to do all of that stuff though, and plus I want the player to be able to see the zombies on the edge of the screen fairly well. Maybe a transparent holder will do. For the rest I shall improve. So,
1. Holder for bottom right
2. Steel or bloody HUD bars
3. Maybe a nice holder for the hp bar too.

Is that good?
And how will I do all of this? Do I make the menu's in the effects section?

Besides the scripting and mapmaking I haven't explored the animation and artsy side of MAP001 as much.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:32 am

For a game like this, you'd better. But you can ask around for some cool effects to place in your game.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Well the holder's you do. Then the menu backgrounds(if this is what your talking about) it goes in there as well. For all my designs that I make i use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 which has pretty much all the same things Adobe Photoshop CS4 has
just CS4 has the animation piece and a hand full of other new things you can do to your image.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Well if somebody could please give me some "cool stuff" and tell me how to apply to the hud (i think i kno how, but just to be sure), and then I'll do it. I'll credit you (once I create credits.) I'll update front page with a list of credits for people who contributed that I will add to the end of the game once everything is completed.

Sound good?

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:41 pm

How big would you like the Weapon holder?

Just make a quick sketch(no detail just 1 color) and i can do the rest for it. Steel type texture correct?

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:45 am

Can You make a steel HP holder thats slightly transparent, a steel points and money holder box (also slightly transparent), and a steel transparent bg for the weapon holder? And maybe add some blood splatters to the steel. You can find some off google images or something.

I might be able to do this with photoshop at my school, but possibly not. So if you make something like this thats really cool, i'll be one happy guy- plus my game will be much, much cooler...

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:52 am

Ok no problem. Ill get to work on this ASAP.

One question. What is the Width and Height of the HP bar on your game? That way i know its the right size
Last edited by Tyler B on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Im not sure... look at the screenshot on the first page to judge size. it doesnt have to be perfect because i can always resize it.

Thanks anyways Now3r3

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 pm

the HP holder should be done soon. Just a quick question. Do you want the blood spots to be transparent like the holder it self or no?

EDIT: Heres what i have made so far. Tell me if you want me to Add/Remove/edit something.

HP holder.png
No Transparent Blood
HP holder.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

HP holder TB.png
This is Transparent Blood(TB)
HP holder TB.png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

weapon holder.png
No Transparent Blood
weapon holder.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

weapon holder TB.png
weapon holder TB.png (19.79 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Points Money Holder.png
No Transparent Blood
Points Money Holder.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Points Money Holder TB.png
Points Money Holder TB.png (8.89 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Just got done playing this again. I never knew there was an undergound passageway. That part was really cool. The zombie splodder doesn't seem to be worth the amount that you pay though.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 am

You could put some shading on the blood. And make it a tiny bit darker, that way it doesn't look like red paint.

SoundCloud
Project blog

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Yeah, use different parts of the blood from black, dark red, red, light red, etc. ;]

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Ok. Ill work on it. Be sure to check the post with the images on it to see if i updated them (ill edit this or post a new post if i update any)

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Good news: Most of what you guys suggested has already been done and will be in the new version

Bad news: I can't work on the game for a while because my other computer is getting upgraded. I will get it back very shortly.
Now3r3 wrote:the HP holder should be done soon. Just a quick question. Do you want the blood spots to be transparent like the holder it self or no?

EDIT: Heres what i have made so far. Tell me if you want me to Add/Remove/edit something.

HP holder.png

HP holder TB.png

weapon holder.png

weapon holder TB.png

Points Money Holder.png

Points Money Holder TB.png

Excellent, Excellent job. That's exactly how I pictured them, really.

Fireleaf wrote:Just got done playing this again. I never knew there was an undergound passageway. That part was really cool. The zombie splodder doesn't seem to be worth the amount that you pay though.

Don't worry, the new version gives you random rewards for the zombie sploder

Scaveleon wrote:You could put some shading on the blood. And make it a tiny bit darker, that way it doesn't look like red paint.

Already done, gonna be in the new version! :D

Thanks you guys. Any level ideas? Do you think I should make another large map? Or incorperate something new or interesting??

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:38 pm

I say.....i have no clue. but im glad you liked them the way they are. I havnt been home for a while...well i have but ive been doing a ton of homework this week and last week thats why i havn't been on much. But here i am.
Anyways i think you should add in something new...and improved...make a small halloween type neighborhood map. Have kids you cant kill walking to each house but your able to walk through them(or not) and have some awesome lighting effects on it.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Awesome idea Now3r3,
but here's the bad news

Well you know how I said that my computer would be back soon?
It's still not back, so I'm way behind.

I promise as soon as I get it back from computer nerds then I can work on it. For now I don't have the game file.

-Tai

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 am

awww that sucks. well i hope you get it back real soon so you can get back to work on such an awesome game.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:11 pm

Computer back!!! I'm getting to work this weekend! :D

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Huzzah! Hop to it!

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:51 pm

good luck!
Hoping to see a new version sometime this month.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Will you be having new screenshots after Thanksgiving break? :]

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:44 pm

possibly yes, the new v. might be out by then.

the new version will just be a perfected v of the previous one, no new maps

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:16 am

awww ok...i guess i can wait longer for new maps.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am

Perfected... in what sense, exactly?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 pm

any bugs in the maps will probably be fixed. all the new HUD holders. ect. stuff along those lines most likely.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 pm

If there is a bug tell me, because I am currently assuming there are none.

As for the HUD, I would like a quick tut on how to get his images into my HUD, just to be sure I don't screw it up :)

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Images can be imported in via effects. Shouldn't be a problem.

Now3r3 wrote:any bugs in the maps will probably be fixed. all the new HUD holders. ect. stuff along those lines most likely.

Any graphical updates?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 pm

sorry for dub post, but i think i just figured out how to add those images to the HUD. im still working out the dimensions and everything, but since i know how to do it now i might as well do it at school... we shall see, but im not saying i won't use your designs :)

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:00 pm

I didn't give any designs to begin with, unless you're talking about Now3r3...

tracelight24 wrote:im still working out the dimensions and everything

If the dimensions are the main problem for resolutions, try centralizing the image in your screen. Maintain distance from all four corners.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:13 pm

yes graphical updates, i understand the HUD better now, I think i am capable of making a cool looking HUD. I have photoshop at school and we have taken classes on it so I think I can make it look nice.

Did you mean graphical as in char. graphics etc? because that I have not done that quite yet. I think it would be cool though... If I had photoshop at my house it would be a lot easier. I might get it from an academic discount store online...

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:05 am

ok Tracelight heres what you do to get the images on your HUD.

1. Go to effects and make new effects...then click on the black image and select the image you want to use.
2. Go to your HUD and make a new field.
3. Change it to Units and in the dropbox it should say ignore.
4. Then change the values to 1 and leave the width and height to 0.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:06 am

OK, I just got done reading All the posts on this thread and I have to admit... I'm truly impressed. Pulling a zombie game off on the 001 forums is like... well, I can't even think of a proper metaphor right now. Think 'walking on water' and you're probably in the neighborhood. And surviving MIV? :shock: OMG, apparently I need to download this game. If he decides to take it seriously, you've passed an nigh impossible task my friend. Good work!

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:09 am

Well, actually, I wasn't very active on this thread.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 am

lol, MIV just wants to help (sometimes in a critical way i might add), but yeah, he was inactive for a while.
Now3r3 wrote:ok Tracelight heres what you do to get the images on your HUD.

1. Go to effects and make new effects...then click on the black image and select the image you want to use.
2. Go to your HUD and make a new field.
3. Change it to Units and in the dropbox it should say ignore.
4. Then change the values to 1 and leave the width and height to 0.

It looks okay, but I had to change your image a bit (the dimensions were causing trouble) I also added a few blood spots. It seems though that your advice comes with about the same end result as the way I did it- i have to go ill finish what i was saying later

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:13 pm

it's ok. i kinda figured you would. mainly because i wasn't sure how big you wanted it. also i didn't know how much blood splatter you wanted. so thecnically it was all yours to edit if you wanted to.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:33 pm

:) its cool man

Everything is done! Just final testing now, going to have my friend Jacob test it 1 more time.

I got some cool steel hud parts from a certain website called psdgraphics

Thanks for the pics Now3r3, you inspired me
Lighting is improved, and the spec. difficulty script (where it changes gameplay based on your current status) is complete. Check page 1 for complete list of updated features.

Thanks!!
-Tai

P.S.
If it is completely perfect, I will release tonight or tomorrow the new version!

Tyler B
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Tyler B » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 am

id like a to request a map.

A small map in town. maybe a neighborhood. And be able to walk through all the houses. (zombies come from the grave yard down the street)
Maybe mid-dayish. like when its not dark but not bright...and orangeish color.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:09 am

Cool idea for a map, i will look into it

Okay, the new version is ready!

Newest things:
HUD is way cooler
Nice new scripts affecting difficulty
Surprise new weapon on the map "Floating Corpse Lake"
Zombie Sploder Rewards

Tell me what you think when you try it!

I just uploaded- should be playable now.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:13 am

Played new version...
Zombie bite does a little too much damage over a short period of time, perhaps tone it down a bit. And make it go away once you heal, somehow it doesn't when I do.
After buying your weapons once, consider making a different dialogue box that asks if you want the ammo, and at a cheaper price. I probably wouldn't want to buy the same weapon again after obtaining it.
Might want to try getting zombies to drop items, e.g. small wads of cash or ammo.
Also, like the way difficulty increases over time, perhaps you can start adding different variants of zombies such as ones wearing kevlar vests or something.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:39 pm

MIV wrote:Played new version...
Zombie bite does a little too much damage over a short period of time, perhaps tone it down a bit. And make it go away once you heal, somehow it doesn't when I do.
After buying your weapons once, consider making a different dialogue box that asks if you want the ammo, and at a cheaper price. I probably wouldn't want to buy the same weapon again after obtaining it.
Might want to try getting zombies to drop items, e.g. small wads of cash or ammo.
Also, like the way difficulty increases over time, perhaps you can start adding different variants of zombies such as ones wearing kevlar vests or something.

The Bite was meant to instantly kill you, but maybe I will make an antedote (hey, you could get more on noob mode, right? And none on zombieslayer mode)
As for the ammo- right now it checks to see if you have a weapon already, and if you do it just gives you ammo. But I could change the dialogue box based on the weapon you have, then make ammo cheaper.
Zombies do drop cash(not literally dropping, but you earn it) so maybe I'll have them literally drop ammo and stuff! Cool idea.
Yes, the zombies themselves (although they all look quite similar) all have different traits and are in different categories, but I could always make that more distinct- sounds like something for the next map.

Also, MIV, what do you think of the HUD?
I will probably make it cooler when I get Photoshop on my sisters laptop.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:42 am

Uh, actually the HUD was quite out of place. I had this weird white square and a rod following me around the screen. Make sure you check the maintain distance from edge checkboxes.
Also, need some holders. Preferably something like the ones we made for Now3r3 back then.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:24 pm

I believe I did. See page 1- there is a picture of what it should look like. I wonder why its not working
EDIT: I just fixed it, should work for next version. I understand the problem (you were right, it needed to maintain the distance from the edges in fullscreen.)

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:34 am

Well, there are many ideas for zombies in another thread back then... I think Left2Die or something. But you could try making some that significantly differ from the rest. No need to directly copy from L4D though; one with armor should be good enough.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:47 pm

I was thinking one with armor, and then maybe some that are extremely weak but come in like packs of 20 or something.

Also-

I just made an awesome new antidote- and it works awesomely. When you get bitten now, your health depletes 1 dmg over 1 sec over and over- while flashing on the screen "use antidote". As soon as you go to your items section and use antidote (you get 3 on noob, 1 on experienced, 0 on zombieslayer), it instantly stops. It also has a cool sound effect too. I'm so glad I'm through with that part...

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:50 pm

You can purchase antidotes, can't you?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am

Yes, you will be able to. Very pricey tho.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:19 am

In that case, consider making your melee weapons a little more powered so that you'll still have a chance of fighting back in the easier modes. On Easy you could have them somewhat 1hko, approximately 30 damage in one swing to make up for their slow attack rate.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

tracelight24
001 Admirer

Postby tracelight24 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Haven't worked on the game in a while since now I am running a mac. I probably won't continue until everything is out on mac. Or I will but not until I return to my PC.
Last edited by tracelight24 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Games In Progress