G.E.D.

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

G.E.D.

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm

So, I'm thinking about leaving my current high school (which is a dual-credit program), getting my GED early, getting a job, and paying for college myself.

High school is so miserable for me right now, and I don't deserve it at all. It's sad. :(

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Re: G.E.D.

Postby RPGking » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 pm

G.E.D., good luck with life dude. A high school diploma is your only ticket to a job. A G.E.D. in most cases won't even get you a job at mc Donalds...

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Getting a well paying job. That part is gonna be fun. :P
You should see if you qualify for any government grants, so you don't have to pay for it all by yourself.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:55 pm

You could get a pretty good job in the construction field doing whatever. Sometimes I make over $26 an hour building government and military infrastructures depending on the level of top secret clearance I have to get to be allowed to work there. I graduated, but you can get a job with a good company with a GED and a clean criminal record.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:03 pm

RPGking wrote:G.E.D., good luck with life dude. A high school diploma is your only ticket to a job. .

Not necessarily. I'm not a high-school drop-out... I'm a college transfer student, with over half of my associate degree hours done already.

:P

RPGking wrote:A G.E.D. in most cases won't even get you a job at mc Donalds...

Ummmm.... then how do 16-year-olds in high school get a job at McDonald's? That's like saying GED detracts from your overall educational value.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:45 am

Typically GED's are looked down on not because of the test, but what the test can say about the taker. A good portion of test takers are folks who have dropped out of high school so it gives the appearance of under achieving and perhaps a quitter attitude. There really isn't any known corrolation between GED or high school diplomas giving higher salaries. If anything, the potential employer or college will be more interested in the score you achieve. The lower paying GED holders are normally because of the person, not the degree.

This isn't really encouragement one way or another, just a discussion of the myth about GEDs. Personnally I don't know why you're in search a hurry to be all grown up. I've been "grown up" longer than most folks on here have been alive I don't know what the fuss is. I guess some folks can't wait to pay bills and mill away your life at a job for the majority of your waking day. Go grown ups!

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:20 am

I'm in a position that my Pell grant pays my entire college tuition, books, about $2,000 profit. Paying my $1,200 tuition (I'm at a Junior college, it's just really freaking nice for it's value) would take me around 6-8 months to generate that spare cash. By then I would already be halfway through a second semester trying to pay it all off. And I believe that if you take a GED that you lose the grants.

In my position that would be about the worse possibly thing I could do excluding dropping out. But everyone is in a different boat. (Yes, I'm 17 still going to highscool as well.)

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am

Lucifiend wrote: guess some folks can't wait to pay bills and mill away your life at a job for the majority of your waking day. Go grown ups!

Idk what I'm going to do. I just want out of high school.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 am

Lucifiend wrote:I guess some folks can't wait to pay bills and mill away your life at a job for the majority of your waking day. Go grown ups!

It's not all that bad - it all depends on what you do with your life, the risks you take, and the things you compromise. And, some people enjoy stability like you describe.

While in high school, I too didn't enjoy it all that much - I liked the people and all that, but it definitely didn't challenge me in the areas I wanted. University didn't quite offer much in my interests, though it did better than high school.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 am

How old are you. You probably only have a little ways too go. Whats driving you out of school. I hate mine with a passion but I haven't dropped out, I have a year left, i can endure it.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:11 pm

I'mk approaching the end of my junior year.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 pm

If your already in your college, you probably have a good amount of high school credits. Try and take a reduced schedule your senior year, or graduate early. I graduated early, and started college full time. My schol days are like 3 hours long lol. It's nice.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly disgusted with all the experience I've had with the American school system. That's as a parent and as a student. But I suppose its more about listening to my kids go dreary about how bad school was when I've gotten to a point where I remember how much freedom and fun I had when I was in school. Then again, I didn't really do school. I just sort of went there, but didn't really participate. I forget what this has to do with a GED.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm

They should just cut a year off of school. I didn't learn a damn thing my senior year and I don't think most people do either. It was pretty much a waste of time when I could have been sleeping or working or just enjoying the last of my teen years.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Your teen years are your best and most eventful, the time period in your life where your building and identity, the time period where you can get away with nearly anything.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 pm

The best time of my life was certainly before I went to school. The loss of innocence for me was a big loss for me.

The school system in Europe is a different in some ways, for example it's really hard for me to translate what grade I'm in. And we don't have to pay to get educated - It's in the taxes.

I'm unsure of how it works, but I wouldn't suggest leaving education until you have the choice to end it formally.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 am

Scaveleon wrote:And we don't have to pay to get educated - It's in the taxes.

Same here.

I don't know, I would never recomend that somebody leave school early.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:44 am

I don't know. It's not something that I'm going to decide on now.... I'll wait and see, and make my decision closer to the end of the school year.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:25 am

Why would you drop out at the end of the school year? :?
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:47 pm

No, I'm talking about dropping out at the beginning of next year.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm also in this position. I'm not enjoying school, and I just want out. I'm a junior and I'm thinking about getting a GED and then going to a community college for a year and then transferring to a four-year college for a degree in either education (ironic, eh?) or computer science.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:33 am

Ask your school counselor about taking college classes through the high school. That's how I stayed sane.

creativeminds
001 Enthusiast

Postby creativeminds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:20 am

Most programs that help you get your GED offer scholarships for completing the course and passing the test. So paying for school shouldn't be a problem. Make sure to check that out.
However the scholarship part is easy, getting a job is hard. I've been looking for a job for three years and no luck...
000000000000000000000000000000000000100000111111000001100001011000000000001110 001110 010110 100011 011010 000000001111010110 0111011000

Merlin_Kalkinput
001 Enthusiast

Postby Merlin_Kalkinput » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:57 am

Seriously people? GED even get you a job at Mc Donalds? A GED is the equivalent to a high school diploma. I would know because I have one, and it's not because I'm a high school dropout (because I'm not) it's because, like Tabula, I got bored of high school.
My Youtube channel for 001 tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2hlOjF4uoW_WHEdPbs23wg/videos

Game I'm currently focused on getting done
Raise an Epic Crab!

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

Education is vital to anyones success in life, i dropped out of school not because i hated it or was bored but simply cause my mental health issues when i was a kid was to much for the schools to handle. My younger adult life was hard, the jobs i wanted i couldn't have cause i had no qualifications, fair enough i have a nice decent life now but only have 8 years of bull.

I would say DO NOT drop out or you WILL regret it when you get older, stick to it and study well education is something you really need in life.

Merlin_Kalkinput
001 Enthusiast

Postby Merlin_Kalkinput » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 pm

If you decide to get your GED, make sure you have future plans on what you will do with that diploma. Otherwise you're better off staying in highschool.
My Youtube channel for 001 tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2hlOjF4uoW_WHEdPbs23wg/videos

Game I'm currently focused on getting done
Raise an Epic Crab!

Return to General Discussion