GGMaker is deleting data (I Reproduced It!)

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

GGMaker is deleting data (I Reproduced It!)

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 pm

I have noticed GGMaker as started deleting collection names. Yes thats right it is removing collections.

At first i thought i did it so i then replaced it and saved it. I then left it alone and went about making my game and testing my game several times fine. But then out of the blue i get an error, collection "Game Insults" is not a switch, variable etc etc, so i went into my collections and the collection had been deleted. Gone, no longer there.

This is not the first time i have seen this certain behaviour in GGMaker. It's like its very forgetful. No i can't reproduce it. Its random, it happens, it doesnt. Thought i would report it either way, maybe people can keep an eye out.

P.S No i didnt accidently delete it myself without knowing, i have only 1 collection in my game and i don't need to touch it. GGMaker did it.
Last edited by Danny on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: GGMaker is deleting data

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:42 pm

I can confirm that this has happened to me before also, however, only once. I'm running Windows 10 and it seems that after an update, some collections were erased within GG Maker. This has never happened before then and I don't believe this is a software problem. If you're not running Windows 10, then it might be worth reporting this, but in the case of Windows 10, I just know that they haven't worked out all the rough edges yet. I think during my update Windows deleted or completely changed something in memory, which has caused the removal of collections within GG Maker. Strangely, the removal is so random that it removed collections that were created over a year ago. Still, I don't think GG Maker is at fault, the software only reads files available, Windows supplies the power. Or maybe I'm wrong altogether.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:56 pm

I forgot to mention my O/S. I'm also running Windows 10 (With the latest Windows 10 Updates)

Koutacles
001 Subscriber

Postby Koutacles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:37 pm

I've had this happen once on Windows 8.1, but was unable to reproduce it and it hasn't happened since.
aka Chaoman77
Play Fungi Frolic!
Solve platforming puzzles and then make your own!
Play Endless Sands!
Gather gold in a deadly pyramid then (hopefully) return alive to spend it on sweet, sweet loot!

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:35 am

I'm not sure what to suggest. As you know, we can't really investigate this issue until someone is able to re-produce it consistently. I've never encountered this problem before and it's also the first I've ever heard of such a problem. All I know is that GG Maker doesn't randomly delete files on its own. It's possible this is happening on a higher level - as RamchuK suggested but I'm not sure.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Re: GGMaker is deleting data (I Reproduced It!)

Postby Danny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 am

WOW I just lost 5 COLLECTIONS...but good news i can reproduce with 100% success! :D

Actor variables are clashing with Collections and heres how to reproduce.

1) Go make yourself some collections, any amount any name.

2) Go into the actor template section, make a new actor (Or use an existing one)

3) Go into the actor properties window.

4) Go to actor variables.

5) Create the same amount of actor variables as you have collections. (So if you made 10 collections make 10 actor variables)

6) Now just remove all the actor variables and set the value back to 0 (So you have 0 actor variables)

7) Save up etc and go back to your collections.

8) They have gone.

After its fixed any chance of me getting a hot fix patch? I'm needing this fix asap due to using actor variables and this issue is slowing my game development down badly and breaking my game.

Edit: Heres a video to;

Edit: I hope this becomes a quick fix because right now i can't do anything with actor variables at all, my game is ruined.
Last edited by Danny on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:25 am

Ah, brilliant! Was able to successfully re-produce and have submitted a bug ticket to have this issue fixed. This is quite a serious problem so I'm glad you were able to figure out what causes it. This should be fixed in the next version (which will be out fairly soon!)
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:39 am

Lee wrote:Ah, brilliant! Was able to successfully re-produce and have submitted a bug ticket to have this issue fixed. This is quite a serious problem so I'm glad you were able to figure out what causes it. This should be fixed in the next version (which will be out fairly soon!)

No problem! :D I just hope the next version comes soon its been months :( (Just over two but still) I figured the problem out because it only ever seemed to happen after i had been in the actor template section, never anywhere else, so i decided to do some digging which finally lead me to actor variables, so yeah thats how i figured it out lol. Really does pay off to actually try and reproduce stuff :D

Return to Technical Support Questions