Making A 3d Game

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

Making A 3d Game

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am

Okay i need a lil help, am trying to go a lil advanced here.

1) How to i get the camera angle to view from the front, like your looking out from your eyes ( Main camera angle its not a Fps )

2) How do i then get the camera to follow the actor around by viewing the back of the actor ( 3rd Person over shoulder kinda view )

3) How to i make the Camera turn with the actor depending on his/her direction they take?

4) Can you turn the tiles? By this i mean if i put tile A down which is a wall, how to i place the exact same wall around the corner and when the actor goe's round that corner the wall is there? This part i dont think you will understand cause of out i asked.

The tilesets dont seem to allow me to place tiles next to each other in a 3d view, cause there 2d.

Ok let me make this somewhat easier....

I have a tile, its 2d, i want to make a 3D cube using only this 2D tile, then when i go into the game i can walk around the cube and see it in 3D...?

Thanks

Tehufn
001 Fanatic

Re: Making A 3d Game

Postby Tehufn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't really do that stuff yet.
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Current games
Maze game - Working on it.

games don't have to be challenging to be fun. If it has a breathtaking storyline, good characters, and hard puzzles, you're good to go. In the game, it shouldn't be too hard to defeat enemies If you're a god.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Tehufn wrote:I'm pretty sure you can't really do that stuff yet.

I read somewhere that you could but it wasnt an help topic i think it was along the lines of what can be done...though at the time the topic wasnt relevant to me and now i cant find it anymore.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm

1) How to i get the camera angle to view from the front, like your looking out from your eyes ( Main camera angle its not a Fps )
Use the "Position Camera" event to be at the X/Y/Z+(Insert eye height here), and use "Change Horizontal Orbit" to be in the direction of the actor. All this inside a while/timer

2) How do i then get the camera to follow the actor around by viewing the back of the actor ( 3rd Person over shoulder kinda view )
Your gonna need to do the same as above, but find a way to position it slightly back depending on direction... Not too sure on this one.

3) How to i make the Camera turn with the actor depending on his/her direction they take?
Explained in "1".

4) Can you turn the tiles?
Only way is to make it an actor, and use the "Sequencer" and "Rotation Dials" to construct the 3D object out of 2D ones. (Helps if you switch to 3D mode, and use the positions inputs for accurate lining up.) this would be the only way I know of to rotate said objects too.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Mr.Numbers wrote:1) How to i get the camera angle to view from the front, like your looking out from your eyes ( Main camera angle its not a Fps )
Use the "Position Camera" event to be at the X/Y/Z+(Insert eye height here), and use "Change Horizontal Orbit" to be in the direction of the actor. All this inside a while/timer

Your gonna need to do the same as above, but find a way to position it slightly back depending on direction... Not too sure on this one.

Explained in "1".

4) Can you turn the tiles?
Only way is to make it an actor, and use the "Sequencer" and "Rotation Dials" to construct the 3D object out of 2D ones. (Helps if you switch to 3D mode, and use the positions inputs for accurate lining up.) this would be the only way I know of to rotate said objects too.

Thanks Numbers! I can try and make Biohazard into 3D now lol i owe you \m/

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 am

I'm still having difficulty setting it up. oO Sniper Oo, since you got it to work, can you share the scripts? Both for camera angle and the camera following.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 am

He's not a subscriber any more so he won't be able to reply.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Hopefully someone else knows how to do this...
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:01 pm

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:Hopefully someone else knows how to do this...

Lee wrote:He's not a subscriber any more so he won't be able to reply.

PM? :-P

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Yes, I have sent a PM to oO Sniper Oo.
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 am

Right am going to set it up again, once am done i will share the script but bare in mind i scrapped this ages ago due to lag and i don't think i got it to work 100% am sure i had some issue. But i will try my best.

Update: Am trying to re create it but am having issues, the camera wont appear behind the actor :evil:
Last edited by Danny on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Any luck?
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 am

Sorry for the bump, but i can't find the Position Camera event. Can someone help me by explaining in detail how i make my camera view from the players eyes. Trying something with a first person shooter game.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am

I don't believe that there is a Position Camera event, use Pan Camera instead. You have to put this in a timer or a When or While trigger to constantly have the camera where you want it to be. For FPS games, change distance to 1 and pan the camera to a Z value that looks the best or about where you want it to be. Mess around with it a little and you'll figure it out.
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:32 am

Okay need help with this but i never understood it and still can't work it out.

1) View from the actors eyes like most FPS games.

2) Change camera angle with mouse (Aim)

Newbie to this please help, if anyone as made this before can you please post scripts so i can copy paste? TY.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:35 pm

For the camera angle your best bet is using a change camera distance event, setting it to something like 1-5 works perfectly for the from eyes position.

Then you would add something like this to a mouse horizontal input pressed control and maybe add something like a delay that loops to the top. The mouse sensitivity is a global variable if I remember correctly. You would do the same with the mouse vertical ( Y ) and that should work...you may need a little extra to the scripts. BTW props to Dunce for giving me an amazing example on how this works, he deserves more credit than me on this subject ;)

Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:42 pm

I get an error divison by zero.

I will try to figure this out myself cause what you gave me doesnt make any sense at all :? Thanks anyway.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:I don't believe that there is a Position Camera event, use Pan Camera instead. You have to put this in a timer or a When or While trigger to constantly have the camera where you want it to be. For FPS games, change distance to 1 and pan the camera to a Z value that looks the best or about where you want it to be. Mess around with it a little and you'll figure it out.

Ramchuk explains what you need to position at eyes.

Make a global variable called Mouse_Sensitivity set to 200.

Make X and Y Mouse Delta Pressed controls.

X control:

Y control:

That should be everything you need to do first person perspective

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Sorry but how do i do that?

Edit: Found the X and Y controls, they wasnt called X and Y... was horizontal and vertical.

Anyway did it all as told got an error.

Edit 2: Fixed the first error about division 0, i forgot to add 200 to the value, however adding 200 fixes the first error but as soon as i move the mouse i get a new one...
Attachments
untitled2.PNG
Last edited by Danny on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Check the Change Horizontal Orbit event in the X delta input. Does it have that \ in between the ( and " ? If so remove it. Dunno how that got there, it's not in my version. Also, you didn't rename the Fullscreen interface did you?

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Dunce wrote:Check the Change Horizontal Orbit event in the X delta input. Does it have that \ in between the ( and " ? If so remove it. Dunno how that got there, it's not in my version. Also, you didn't rename the Fullscreen interface did you?

Sorry but i don't even see a ? in the value. This is the exact value in for the Horizontal Orbit.

"ViewField(\"|Full Screen

Edit: No the full screen interface as not been renamed or deleted or anything.

Another Edit: Seems when i copy the script you gave me it changes the event value itself. :?

Edit again. Copied/pasted the code manually and it kinda works now. I have to move my mouse all the way down and out of the game window and down to my task bar on my desktop to make the camera level.

In the screenshot below you will see a red circle next to the clock, thats where the mouse actually is but for some reason when screenshotting the mouse is not there? Odd...

But yeah i have to pull the mouse all the way down to see the walls/floor but as you can see i have to pull all the way down but still isnt level.
Attachments
untitled2.PNG
Last edited by Danny on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Windows mouse cursor isn't captured in screens. You'll have to constrain the mouse to the screen for the movement to work correctly. The reason why it isn't level is because you seem to be ignoring this:
RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:I don't believe that there is a Position Camera event, use Pan Camera instead. You have to put this in a timer or a When or While trigger to constantly have the camera where you want it to be. For FPS games, change distance to 1 and pan the camera to a Z value that looks the best or about where you want it to be. Mess around with it a little and you'll figure it out.

Use a Pan Camera event in a timer and set the X and Y to main and the Z to something like 48 or where the eyes would be.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Dunce wrote:Windows mouse cursor isn't captured in screens. You'll have to constrain the mouse to the screen for the movement to work correctly. The reason why it isn't level is because you seem to be ignoring this:

Use a Pan Camera event in a timer and set the X and Y to main and the Z to something like 48 or where the eyes would be.

I'm not ignoring that...

Edit: Constrained Mouse to Window, can't look left or right, can't look all the way around myself. Its as if the camera is locked to a certain position but allows a slight left and right look at a strange angle.

I give up, thank you for your help everyone.
Attachments
untitled2.PNG

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Is that in a While/Timer? You may to jump or move your actor.

Do you have a Cursor selected? That may prevent the delta from working at the edge of screen.

EDIT: Goddammit dude, don't ask for help if you are just going to give up.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Is that in a While/Timer? You may to jump or move your actor.

Thats in a while/timer set to 0.01 inside the actor (The main actor) properties itself.

Do you have a Cursor selected? That may prevent the delta from working at the edge of screen.

What do you mean do i have cursor selected? I have the cursor input enabled.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Have you used a Change Cursor event to change the cursor?

Does the while timer have a condition? You can also safely set the duration to 0. It'll perform a lot better. The position camera event should also have 0 duration.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Have you used a Change Cursor event to change the cursor?

Nope, do i need to?

Does the while timer have a condition? You can also safely set the duration to 0. It'll perform a lot better. The position camera event should also have 0 duration.

No condition just a timer. I can change the duration to 0 but i doubt that would stop the odd behaviour.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:50 pm

No, just in case don't put in a cursor. The duration 0 will make the camera movements quicker and smoother.

These are my settings:

Also try setting Change Distance to 4, and placing that in your test script, not the timer.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 pm

My settings.

Basically the same except the 001 logo option (I will be showing the 001 logo but a manual one since the default 001 logo is kinda... well doesnt fit)
Attachments
untitled.PNG

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Also try setting Change Distance to 4, and placing that in your test script, not the timer.

Set you minimum ceiling back up to 256 and see what that does.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Done all that, still acts odd. :? Would you like the project yourself? Its just a test project so its small.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Sure.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Sorry about the late post 001 went down for me again... :(

Sent link Via PM. Thank you Dunce for your help.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:03 pm

Ok for some reason your Delta Y's Change Vertical Angle event somehow has a different usevalue in it. Set it to this: Math.Clamp(ViewField("|Full Screen:0").Angle + (Cursor.DeltaY / Mouse_Sensitivity),-1,1)

You can also put X and Y inputs to the Movement control set.

Though that Y use value fixed everything.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Okay nearly perfect one last thing, how do i walk forward? I tried the forward/backward event but it side steps.

Also i copy/pasted the scripts you sent me and 001 changed the values? Bug?

Edit: I tried to use the movement Y and it does kinda work but if i walk forward then use the mouse to turn around to look behind me it still walks forward so i end up walking backwards though im looking forwards, if that makes sense?

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 pm

You need to use acceleration for forward, reverse for for backwards, and strafing for left/right.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Can't test on way to shop, will update topic in half hour. Thanks guys you all helped greatly. Sorry for nearly quitting Dunce lol.

edit. acceleration is not working right, it moves the player to the sides like 11, 2, 5 and 7 o'clock angles. Also it walks backwards when turning all the way around.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm

I use Backward/Forward and Strafing. The problem is something I forgot. You need to put a Change Horizontal Orbit event in your test script with this usevalue in it: Actor("main").DirectionAngle . That will set the camera to face where the actor is facing. The X Delta input will change the facing of the actor correctly.

You may have to turn on Instant to get backward movement to work on Z layers higher than 0.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm

That solved the problem :D Thank you Dunce and thank you everyone else for your help! Everything is now working perfect.

I need help with a script that will make the camera follow the player from behind like a 3rd person view. I know i asked before in this topic but im getting lost here with everything.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 pm

The only difference is the Visual Distance is set to something like 128 or 256 instead of 4 for first person.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:57 pm

When i use the default 3D template the camera by default doesnt rotate with the main actor so if the player turns left or right you see the main actors left or right side of its body, if you move down towards the screen you see the front of the actor. I do not want this.

When i turn left, right, up or down i want the camera to always rotate behind the main actor so its always viewing his back. :/

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Dunce wrote:

Ramchuk explains what you need to position at eyes.

Make a global variable called Mouse_Sensitivity set to 200.

[img]http://puu.sh/bKPyO.png[/img]

X control:

Y control:

That should be everything you need to do first person perspective

Then just have a Change Visual Distance event set to 128 or soething.
Last edited by Dunce on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah i thought of that but thats if using the mouse im using the A,S,D and W keys for movement. I just want the camera to always face the main ators back at all times. I do not want to use the mouse to change the camera manually.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:14 pm

The above script should do exactly what you want :) Just place it inside a really fast timer.

You will want to set a camera distance of about 100 or so.

For those interested, you can use this to change the camera angle with the mouse as well (Horizontal Movement Only):
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Though the problem is the inputs will stay the same based on how they started. A will not move you north, if you are facing east.

For this you'd need left and right to change which direction you are facing, then have up and down do Back/Forward movement events.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

The top script would require that you use the keys to change facing direction, such as having up/down accelerate/deaccelerate the player, with left/right changing the facing direction.

The bottom script changes facing direction based on mouse movement (left/right), which the keys would be up/down for accelerate/deaccelerate, and left/right for strafing.

Bruno coelho
001 Admirer

Postby Bruno coelho » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:03 am

Guys, Alone I could make an FPS perspective with strafing, jumping, even weapons on the screen, a perfect experience.. BUT...

HOW I MAKE THE CAMERA TO MOVE ORISONTAL WITH THE MOUSE?!

I'm exploding my head with this one xD

The only thing that I am not understanding is the "delta mouse" movement that you guys did here. Can you explain it on other words?

Oh I figured it out, no worries I just did it xD
Last edited by Bruno coelho on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oriliad Progress://///////////// 0,1% -Sprites/Graphic

Ceriux

Postby Ceriux » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:41 pm

hey guys i'm having issues figuring out how to get the player walking in the direction of the camera when i press W... so far i have this in my mouse pressed commands.

the chunk of code floating over on its own i also got from this thread, but wasnt working. any help would be appreciated.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 am

Rather than using the "Change Facing Cardinal Direction" event you should use the "Change Facing Direction (Angle)" event (I think thats what its called? It may also be called "Change Z Rotation")

Then you can use the "Change Acceleration" event to move the actor forward.

Ceriux

Postby Ceriux » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:34 am

seems to do nothing...

this is how i'm handling my movements.

Return to Technical Support Questions