Urban Dictionary: engine001

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Mike
001 Co-Founder

Urban Dictionary: engine001

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm

I came across this post recently:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Engine001&defid=6949514
EDIT: This is the original content, which has been removed by the site.
An indie game making engine that doesn't require any knowledge of coding.

While it was always mocked for its ghastly graphics and bug ridden gameplay it was also held in high esteem for being created by amateurs and shared freely.
Sadly they have introduced a monthly subscription, removing some of its popularity as shareware, it is as full of faults as ever and the claims of one of its creators that their main competition was from RPG Maker XP is even more laughable today than it was then.
This rpg maker needs the creators to finally, after more than 10 years, to polish it up and perhaps even spend the 10-15 hours required to makes its graphics acceptable.
Bilbo Baggins: 'Hey Gandalf, your sprites so poorly made that it looks like you're in an Engine001 game.'

New forum member: 'Guys, can I make a map bigger than a postage stamp without getting major lag in Engine001?'
Co-creator: 'No way man, I've never seen a medium or large map that looked good. Quite clearly I've never played any of the classics or the popular modern 2D RPG's.'

Albeit it is humorous, it's also quite offensive. I felt it would be unfair if it was left unaddressed.

Sadly they have introduced a monthly subscription

Reality is, if I didn't have subscriptions and bundled software, I would have had to stop 001 a few months ago. I currently do not have a job, and income is very low. The sad fact is, in order for something to grow, it needs resources. If I had no money to put into 001 up to this point, we wouldn't have a nice site (even our first site that most people will remember, was actually paid for). All the currently included art had to be paid for as well. And during the past year, I had to hire an assistant programmer so things could keep moving forward while I was quite busy.

it is as full of faults as ever

At the time of the original post, the version up did indeed have bugs. To be fair, 001 is huge with a bunch of built-in functionality. With a limited supply of one beta tester at most usually, it's hard to produce something perfect.

the claims of one of its creators that their main competition was from RPG Maker XP

Not sure how saying a competitor means that 001 is better. And it's not to say there's no other competitors. In fact, I specifically ask people NOT to compare 001 to other makers because I don't like those "games". I also am unsure where I said anything about who I consider 001's competitors are.

This rpg maker needs the creators to finally, after more than 10 years, to polish it up

I hope the last version is seen as polished - as I finally am not embarrassed by it.

and perhaps even spend the 10-15 hours required to makes its graphics acceptable.

I'm not sure everyone is an artist, as I'm especially not one. There's no way I could make such art. Nor do I know anyone willing to spare "15 hours" for free on producing better assets than those included.

No way man, I've never seen a medium or large map that looked good. Quite clearly I've never played any of the classics or the popular modern 2D RPG's.

It's quite uncommon for there to be massive huge maps in classic RPGs. If you even take a look at some of Final Fantasy 6's largest town maps, they weren't even close to the size people constantly complain 001 can't seem to handle. Often it comes down to users creating 1000x1000 maps with tons of characters with AI. In reality, if you try that on any maker (let alone one that supports AI), you'll be quickly confronted with usually poorer performance than 001 can give you. As for popular modern 2D RPG's - most of them don't have active AI turned on everywhere with massive 3D maps. Remember that 001 has a lot of power, and that comes with some responsibility. Also remember, if nobody reports performance issues and sends me their game, how am I ever supposed to improve things?

I guess overall, it just upsets me that someone would have the indecency to publicly insult a product that I put my heart into nearly every day, that I do on my spare time and make ever so little money from.

It would be greatly appreciated to have people down-vote said thread and speak their mind, as once in a while, I don't mind a bit of encouragement and support :).

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Urban Dictionary: engine001

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:49 pm

This just speaks of the maturity of said individual. More than likely one of those people that do not take the time themselves to be creative by any means. I am glad I found 001 and glad to see a community and development team that takes so much time out of there day to cater to the users in such a caring manner. Yes, we can all say that 001 still has some of it's quirks, but that is the downfall of not having a large corporation or team of extremely well paid team. Mike you have done what takes a whole team of people to do, which is amazing!

Mike wrote:
and perhaps even spend the 10-15 hours required to makes its graphics acceptable.

I'm not sure everyone is an artist, as I'm especially not one. There's no way I could make such art. Nor do I know anyone willing to spare "15 hours" for free on producing better assets than those included.

An asset store came up recently in other threads I think it would be a good idea to explore this option more. It would up the quality of art being produced and possibly bring in some more users.

I would be more than willing spend that 15 hours for you Mike. Just send me word and I could start immediately.
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

DarkEarthDragon
001 Admirer

Postby DarkEarthDragon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm

To be honest I absolutely enjoyed every minute of this engine. Even those moments where the engine seems to be fighting my every effort to solve an issue. Even now I am pulling my hair out with sprite issues. HOWEVER the fact that I have been able to at least create a game world from my mind in almost exact(2.5 D) detail as I imagined, is something I find trumps any and all so called faults. Plus if the stock resources don't quite give me a full plethora of tiles, sprites, music, etc. the engine is equipped to allow for importing of your own resources, so that point is null.

Side question how big is the 001 engine able to create maps because I have been playing it safe staying below 150 X 150 X 15. But if something bigger is capable then I'm jump on it.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 pm

For someone to write something like that is just awful.

I think what's happening is that 001 is growing to a point where it's no longer an engine for people who aren't totally serious about making a good game. Younger kids or people who just want to goof around might not find it as capable as other engines of similar weight because they don't want to take the time to make better art themselves, or don't have the skill. That's just my two cents, but I love 001, and I have no problems with it.

Answering your side question, I've gotten up to 300 x 300 without lag in a shooter game.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Didn't we find this awhile back, but it was smaller? Looks like it's been updated

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:25 pm

AnvilHouse wrote:I would be more than willing spend that 15 hours for you Mike. Just send me word and I could start immediately.

Private messaged ya :).

DarkEarthDragon wrote:Side question how big is the 001 engine able to create maps because I have been playing it safe staying below 150 X 150 X 15. But if something bigger is capable then I'm jump on it.

It really depends on if there's AI everywhere or not. Or whether there's massive lights or not.

Deedasmi wrote:Didn't we find this awhile back, but it was smaller? Looks like it's been updated

That was a different user.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Deedasmi wrote:Didn't we find this awhile back, but it was smaller? Looks like it's been updated

I remember Lord [however you spell the last part] writing a rage entry after he got permanently banned / put on probation. Though that was about 3-4 years ago; I've never seen this one personally.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Wasn't there that guy who posted all of the crap directed to you, Mike? Things like 001 not being open source and the like? Maybe this was the same person?

Edit: Chromium said that my message didn't send. :evil:
Last edited by 2cool4me4 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

sinjin48
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby sinjin48 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 pm

you don't take stuff said on that site seriously, do you? They always talk stuff down for a laugh, pretty low really, but I don't know anybody who actually pays it any mind. :)
Last edited by sinjin48 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am

sinjin48 wrote:yo don't take stuff said on that site seriously, do you? They always talk stuff down for a laugh, pretty low really, but I don't know anybody who actually pays it any mind. :)

I agree. Urban dictionary itself can be rather irritating.

The only point that bugs me the most from this is

spend the 10-15 hours required to makes its graphics acceptable

This specifically isn't Mike's/001 Staff's fault. Offering good default sprites is a luxury, at some point in development of one's own games the may need to make their own sprites.
More of a userbase issue, and well, over time many of us have improved our styles with no signs of loss.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:33 am

De facto is, internet is anarchy and logic triumphs not. It's equivalent to mentioning Engine001 to sites like 4chan, YouTube, i.e. unmoderated sites where masses can bash anything.

It's even self-depreciating it's own purpose.

I encourage everyone to ignore sites like these if you wish to keep your faith in humanity. Just because I CAN take it doesn't it mean I want to DEAL with it, which is why I use moderated sites like this one when I need to look up stuff. Engine001 was mentioned there, though briefly and at the bottom.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm

wtf? graphics? really?

engine001 is a game engine, not a graphics collection, its purpase is to give you the tools to MAKE games, not free sprites.
nor is it a game with gameplay, its a game maker, you are responible for the gameplay

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Mike wrote:

That's a part of the individual game making process, isn't it? Next they expect a plot generator, and an engine that makes the game for you.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am

Ixayou wrote:
Mike wrote:

That's a part of the individual game making process, isn't it? Next they expect a plot generator, and an engine that makes the game for you.

Code: Select all
/cd C:\Program Files\001
/make video_game
Game made!

Honestly? It's pretty clear from whoever posted this that they have no idea what they're talking about. Anyone can post a hate-rant on the Internet, most people don't take it seriously.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Tabula Rasa wrote:That's a part of the individual game making process, isn't it? Next they expect a plot generator, and an engine that makes the game for you.

Code: Select all
/cd C:\Program Files\001
/make video_game
Game made!
[/quote]

Command line, too difficult.

:P

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 am

One of the most frequent and misinformed complaints always is about poor graphics/art, mainly because people don't know how (or even that they can) to do custom art for their games, or just lack skill, and are spoiled by some other gamemakers out there that give Chrono Trigger quality art...

Not only you can copy the same sprites and assets to 001, but from anywhere, really. The same people who complains about art are those who makes totally generic and poorly scripted RPG Maker games with default art.

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:27 am

You can't take Urban Dictionary seriously. Anyone can edit it, and unlike sites like wikipedia, they edit it for humor, not facts. So you can more or less disregard anything you see on Urban dictionary and treat it as childish dribble.
Google Eclectic Gaming....I dare you. Or Sharpened Steel, you can google that too. Hehehehe.

eclectic-gaming.weebly.com/

Return to General Discussion