SimCity

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

SimCity

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: SimCity

Postby SBG » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Another new feature for the game is the fact these cities are, for the first time (well, since some driving games we won't mention) in full 3D.

SimCity Societies??? Why does everyone pretend that game never existed? I thought it was a great game for what it was. Sure it was nothing like the other games but personally it was my favorite city building game because there was a lot more freedom to do what you want, you weren't restricted to only putting certain buildings in certain zones, and it wasn't bogged down by tedious micromanagement. Also had good graphics.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 pm

I like SimCity, maybe I'll get this.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Simcity thread? Don't mind if I do.

I'm not all that familiar with the systems in SC4, but I've recently started a city, and so far I think it's going fairly well.

I've only played for about an hour and a half, so nothing impressive.

sc1.png

An overview of most of the city. Low tax rates (5.0%), high land value, good health care and education, as well as a large number of amenities have seemed to attract many middle class and wealthy families.
You can also see a moderate air and water pollution problem from the dirty industries, which I am working on. Currently, the tax rate on dirty industry is 20%. I've also connected the city to our neighbor in the south, which is providing addition industrial jobs and garbage storage.

sc2.png

A newly developed part of the city. Surprisingly, this neighborhood consist almost entirely of wealthy families. The land value is very high, I believe.

sc3.png

The westside of the city. Small airport with some medium density apartment buildings next to it. A small middle class neighborhood as well.

Again, nothing too special. I'm going to expand the north and west some more, try to get some high tech industries to come.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:37 pm

/sigh

*goes to steam and starts SC4 download*

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Is SimCity 4 the best one?

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Define "best". It's the newest one :P

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Well basically, do people tend to favor it over it's predecessors? Or is there an earlier one that was more popular or something.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 am

A lot of people liked 2000.

I've also connected the city to our neighbor in the south, which is providing addition industrial jobs and garbage storage.

Did you download a region with people in it, or what?
Last edited by Deedasmi on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 am

Like I said before, my favorite is SimCity Societies, the bane of SimCity fanatics.

It's nothing like it's predecessors other than the fact that you create a city. Actually SimCity 1-4 were city BUILDING games, and Societies is a city CREATING game. That's why I like it more. You can be more creative and not have to worry about the micromanagement aspect of the others.

Far as the new SimCity game goes, I won't be buying it because of the ridiculous DRM protection. From what I understand, you won't even be able to play it unless you are connected to the internet and signed in to the database. Or maybe it's for saves or something like that, either way it sucks and I won't support it. Don't know why developers do that sort of thing. It's GONNA get cracked and pirated either way. You think you're clever but you're really just biting yourself in the ass.

There isn't a single form of DRM out there that hasn't been cracked, rendering it pointless and a nuisance, so why continue to punish the people that actually BUY it?

You can either buy it and risk not being able to play if your internet goes out(happens to me about every day) because of the selfish DRM, or you can pirate the cracked copy for free and never have to worry about that. All moral judgment aside, which seems like the more sensible option? And that's why this malicious DRM doesn't work. Why don't they realize that?

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Deedasmi wrote:A lot of people liked 2000.

I've also connected the city to our neighbor in the south, which is providing addition industrial jobs and garbage storage.

Did you download a region with people in it, or what?

No, it's essentially necessary to start an addition area next to your city where you can put extra industrial / your garbage reserves. Not only does it cut back on pollution, but it saves space for more residential and commerical areas.
Not really kind of cheating. You're providing jobs for your sims, yet not making tax revenue off the industries that are there, only the families that have jobs there. Plus, it can be a bitch of a commute for the residents to get there depending on whether you have a highway / mass transit system set up or not.
You also have to pay to dump garbage there (it's costing me roughly 300 - 500 dollars a month).

sc4.png

My city as it is now. It took me about eight years to finally re-balance the budget after increasing the public fundings.
I've basically expanded as far as I can go. I've got some more residential zones I can set up in the north, but now I've got to start replacing some of these middle class homes with apartment buildings.
Need to remodel as well, as you can see. Traffic is becoming a major issue, so I have to set up a subway or monorail system, or demolish some roads and homes to build more avenues. Probably going to gather a large amount of funding, then deal with more stressful decades to come. :(

budget.png

My tax rates as they currently stand are 10% for low and middle class, 9% for wealthy (was 10, lowered it when they started leaving), 4 or 5 for most commerical, 9% for middle-commerical. 20% for dirty industries, 10% for manufacturing, 9% for high tech (which I essentially have none of).

cityapex.png

My city essentially at it's peak. Traffic is still a problem, even with a subway system setup. Not much I can do there, I guess.
The economy has improved greatly since I've last played. 6k surplus without raising taxes (I've lower taxes, actually). Plenty of office buildings, high land value. Things are going well.

No more room to expand. Guess it's time to move on to making a bigger, better city. :(
Last edited by Zhuge on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Return to General Discussion