Essence Automata

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
5econds
001 Fanatic

Essence Automata

Postby 5econds » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:51 am

I have been working on this game for about a month now, really just on artwork, rescources and development, and I have only just started to produce the maps. In fact the screens are just a beginning to showcase what I am going for. I will make arrangements with an image hosting site and post a link to some concept sketches and screens from the cutscenes within the coming week.

This is a hopefull description so we'll see how it comes along.

Theme like: Grandia 2 meets Hellboy
Looks like: High octane action....sega genesis style?
Sounds like: An original score of Fast paced future electro rock and rave
Feels like: Zelda got in a fight with Megaman, they both won

with a style that combines 1950's sci-fi comics, with 1970's style images reminescent
of Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and the original Battlestar Galactica. Melding that retro feel with modern elements
in the vein of Equilibrium and Minority report. And a unique twist.

Making use of original comic style cutscenes, arranged in flash-out sequences.

So far the graphics are planned on being comprised of many original items and character/clothing
creations, with tilesets mostly formatted from classic rpgs and enemy sprites modded from similiar sources (Used Spriters rescource for a some so far, and RPGmaker bkgrounds that I converted to tilesets)
I made try a few custom tilesets, and modded ones to save time. I feel in some sense I want to have as
much original elements as possible, but time is a constraint and with all the medias I want to blend I think
it would take to much of my time to start entirely from scratch. Some games and rescources on this site accurately
reflect what I am going for and since they are available I believe it's intelligent to implement them. I will try to give credit
where due
I am toying with the idea of actually using larger sprites so I can add more detail and simply taking the defualt graphics and enlarging the ones I am going to use so I can add detail to them, it would be nice to still have those graphics as a template. I hope that statment makes sense. The game will play very similiar to a sort of Streets of Rage meets Contra beat 'em up/shooter type quasi sidescroller with obstacles pits that require you to jump on platforms to aviod and dangerous terrian that you must aviod or disable. Plus I hope to have around 10 types of badies plus variations.

Story Intro

In a world much like ours with a history all it's own You are a Mercenary hired to search the ruins of the war tattered parts of the world for an artifact referred to as the "Essence Automata" a fully living mechanical armor which responds to the mental commands of it's bearer. Believed to be the near perfection of Technology, a melding of mind and matter (it's mind is limited to the capacity of the one who weilds it.) the armor allows access to the ancient source of energy which until now only a gifted few wield, as well as access the forgotten technology that comes with it's understanding. The ruins are said to be guarded by the robotic remains of it's own technology, from bots to mutants to strange creatures forgotten to your world. What's more as expected you and your employer are not the only ones after this creation, you are now the target of other who are aware of the armor's existence, an enigmatic, believably cultic order of monks and rogue soldies that seek to make use of this ancient technology to serve a leader as eccentric and mysterious as themselves, and Gods as ruthless as the measures they will go to in their effort to obtain the Automata.
Attachments
Scrn3.jpg
Scrn3.jpg (74.3 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
Scrn2.png
I tried to get a close up too, becuase it didn't seem like I could upload a Screen as big as I wanted and keep the file size, so later I will get some up on an image host site and put up a link
Scrn2.png (102.16 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Scrn13.png
Scrn13.png (74.97 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Last edited by 5econds on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Re: Essence Automata

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:07 am

That's... quite awesome.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am

Haha! In the first screen shot you can see the old factory machine Macxthegamer made me! I don't mind and I think Macx doesn't mind that you used it and edited it.

EDIT: And i also see the old Dark Matter Computer too! Thats good that it is actually getting put to good use!

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:37 am

Dunce, Yeah, well when I went looking for the suits you made you said all the other rescources you had done were in the link you gave me, and so I checked out some of the other ones in there. The dark matter stuff sounds cool but it's a rar and I can't open those. I was thinking of getting a rar opener just for some things but I've had a couple bad experiences with those. Anyway though, yeah I went through one night and found all the sites that users made with downloadable rescources open for use and there were some neat stuff. Like I'm making extensive use of the longcoat from Eon Soldier, I just had to mod if for my uses. And then a hood he had too, which still had one little flaw but it looks good none the less. The tilesets I found available so far are so varied it's like I can really use them to creat a unique world, combined with what I converted from RPGmaker. There are really some neat things people are doing so I figure I should take advantage of what they spent time making available, and even though I modded most of it I'll be sure to give credit when I am finished.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:51 am

That storyline reminds me of some cartoon... I can't remember the name, though. Nice storyline, by the way.
If you haven't tried out yet, check out my full game Voyage for Vengeance.
If you did but you're stuck, don't worry, there's a walkthrough available!

For those about to rock, we salute you.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Really the sources for the storyline are pretty vast, so the influences are apparent but not obvious, and additions and interpretations, the execution, I hope has my own unique, creative hand prints. And thank you for saying so

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:37 pm

You can just say that cool guy Dunce, when your crediting me! Haha....

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Very Awesome! Very Organized! I WILL play this game when it comes out.
Who should I really listen to?

5econds
001 Fanatic

Essence Automata

Postby 5econds » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 am

So I am thinking I want to make about 50% of this original rescources, not even modded. I'll need to make some full custom tilesets and see how this works out. I don't plan to finish the game until certain features coming to the 001 are present, and really until some of them are present I will probably just work on art. Which is fine, becuase there is a lot to work on. If anyone noticed I had briefly changed the name, but I thought about it and it's very important that "ESSENCE" be in the title as it will be important to later chapters. I want to note that I am also trying to work out aspects of the world. There are certain civilizations/races/classes that are within this world, and I want them to be at least somewhat different from the quintessential elves and dwarves and so on. I also am considering full copyrighting everything before I release it. Under law I read it actually is copyright in some form the moment it's published, but I still may register it as this whole idea is actually part of something bigger....much bigger. I included one of those concept sketches I promised, I still plan to post more in the future, probably on a seperate site though. This is the main Hero, Justus. I resized it some so it wouldn't be to huge a post.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm

He looks cool. 8)

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I've decided I need to flesh out some more of the ideas featured on the game. I've included some Sketches, character art, and shots of rescources.

Vegas is one of the playable characters. I have not decided if he will be permanantly a member of the party but he is a main character in the story and one level will feature him exclusively. The idea of this level will make extensive use of his main weapon, a night club. I think his signature Magic(Tech) will be fire
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... ckJack.jpg

I need to make a full shot/sketch of this character that I am more proud of, but for now the face graphic will do. He is called Brute. You will also control him in a certain part/level and his main Tech is Earth. His clothing consist of a large bussiness suit that fits over his armour suit. The coat is sleeveless to accomadate his large armored arms. You will see his helmet in this pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... teFace.png

Throughout the development of the "Essence", the energy that is wielded throughout the game, it is discovered that through Alchemy and later through Nanotechnology that the energy can be converted to different elements, hence the creation of TECH. Tech is like magic basically, to make it simpler. This is once such Tech Type, Cosmic. The specific tech you see is called Cosmos
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... osIcon.png

The technology spoke of in the first post, that the Essence Automata provides access to is in part a number of ancient robo's, these are called Guardians (Guards for short). Each Guardian is powered by the Essence and shares a connection with the Essence Automata, which it in itself can form into a guardian. These 3 are sketches and may or may not be exact guardians in the game. The guardians are sort of bosses throughout the game. Upon defeating them you are able to Absorb thier essence and in a sense download a new Tech, Armour or Weapon from them. Sort of like Megaman
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... Guard3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... Guard2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... Guard1.jpg

I have made more custom rescources. I am currently working on "Essence Armour" which I will reveal as soon as it is functional. In the next post I will also include shots of the first custom Ruin. For now Godspeed, Gentlemen and Ladies
Last edited by 5econds on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:33 pm

I can't see the pictures.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

They worked when I posted it, damn photbucket. I will have to revise the post and figure it out.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:59 pm

You must have copied and pasted something - the links are just cut off is all - just recopy the links properly.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:04 pm

Yeah they should work now, I just reloaded them and tried them. Should be good

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:12 pm

They look cool. 8)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:22 pm

That they do :).

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

Ok I got some more work done on the game the other night and I am thinking I will try some today. I should be substantially on my way to having one of the custom ruins done. I'll post a screen of it later today, show my excitement about it. I also just about finished an armor piece I should be quite proud of, may post that later....

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:14 am

I hate you for being sooo good at drawing! :D
I can't wait for this game!

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm glad you checked it out Dunce. I realized some of the frames on my arms are off so the armor I am working on seems like it will take longer. The problem is the shoulder part of the armor, I'll probably have to figure it out tommorow I 'spect. I plan on doing some work on cusom cars, a motorcycle of sorts and the robots. I am still hoping that the next couple versions will bring with them the features I want this game to have. I am going to try to get more maps done until then and tilesets. I'll try to get some more shots of progress up by next week.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:41 pm

I am almost finished with the Futuristic cycle for the game. I included it here. I have the ESSENCE ARMOUR finished as well and I will add a shot of that to this post as well. I am working on another type of armour I haven't named yet and I will try to get shots of some of the other armours I have made for the game. I'll upload them tommorow or so
Attachments
Future Cycle.png
This is the motor cycle I am workin on. The dome supposedly covers the person.
Future Cycle.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

CalLuz710
001 Admirer

Postby CalLuz710 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:25 pm

good job the game looks awesome.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Ok guys, I will add some more later. I included a link to a shot of some of the possible characters/equipment that you will encounter in the game. Some still need a little work. The background is an Ancient Ruin I custom made. Much of the armor is custom. For the legs I use Plate Armour on most of them, becuase it is kickass and looks awesome on most of the armours I have made. In order from top left to right: Essence Armour(with Space Helmet),Armor Garments(With Wielder Helmet), Armor Apparatus(little off center), Elder (Black is Elite) Elder Guard (red),Leather Garments (with Hood), Elder Monks (Hood and Coat are mostly Eon Soldier's work), Main Hero "Justus"(with "The Edge" blade and "goggles"), Enemy Starship (have not properly named yet), And an Elder soldier from the side view (with a custom lazer blaster I will have clearer shots of later.) I will add some explanation to the different armours later on, and the purposes. The blades held by Justus and the Elders are both modded from the EMERALD BLACKSWORD currently, but I will probably make new ones from scracth I think. The blue sword held with the Leather Garments is a cloud sword. I am also working on an extendable staff type weapon, which currently would just have different forms you switch to. Anyway, check out the link, put in on a seperate tab, read the descriptions, let it sink in and lemme know what you think. (Unless otherwise noted all characters parts mentioned are custom.) Godspeed my Gentlemen and Ladies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ ... erShot.png

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Nice I like them all! Very nice customs and half customs. I like where this game is going!

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:55 pm

I want those armors + helmets :(!

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:22 am

Okay, so if you read this lemme know. I am thinking about trying to get a demo ready. I just about have the first dungeon/ruin half done and I'll be able to do a lot of work on it this week. I'm going to try to work on the second one some. I need to get the story sequences before hand fleshed out too...so it would not be playable for like a week or so, and I would actually like to make it a pretty big demo. With like the first two Ruins playable. In that case in would take about 2 weeks or so. Anyway i am almost done with the tileset for the second dungeon and I will post that and some screens later. Anyway that's what I am working on, to let everyone who sees this know. If you look at this or have please post and let me know what you think so far.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Demos are good to know what to expect when the game is completed, but I don't think you should make a big demo, a short one, with some 30 minutes of gameplay should do, in my opinion.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 pm

I need to sit down and really read the wiki for a bit so I can really get into switches and variables and do some unique things. I've had some fun just messing with zones alone. I am definetly going to do an area where Jumping is really important. Until then I did want to note, since Mike brought it up ,that I am going to submit some of those armours,helmets and weapons later. Some I will definetly keep until the game is released. I want to make more environments and finish the one ruin tileset I modded. And then those I will submit too. I will add some more concept sketches I made here soon. Those will go into work for the cutscenes. I still would like to have much of the story done with cutscene effects. I am still hoping that frame amount will be adjustable soon before I finish, becuase then I will make more custom enemies.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm

The tutorials should be pretty helpful alone. The wiki is more of a reference guide.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:33 pm

miroki123 wrote:Demos are good to know what to expect when the game is completed, but I don't think you should make a big demo, a short one, with some 30 minutes of gameplay should do, in my opinion.

A 30 minute demo? Are you kidding? That would be half of a long game on here...your lucky if my full version lasted 25 minutes!
Not even official games have that much play time in a demo...
Miroki, I've learned that you expect alot out of peoples games...
DOOF

AvocadoThunder

Postby AvocadoThunder » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:43 pm

this should be good, the maps have a industrial feel to them i like it, cant wait for the demo!

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Industrial...that's a cool way to describe it. I love industrial music. Strange coincidence, you could probably call the soundtrack industrial. It is like house/industrial techno. I have enough music but I will probably do some original pieces for the game to though.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Mon May 26, 2008 11:20 am

So I've thought a lot about this game over the past few weeks and I've decided to continue work on it in a virtually new fashion. I will need to wait until it is possible on 001 to choose the amount of frames for a character. Until then I will still work on characters. I also decided I will probably scrap all the spells I made in favor creating my own entirely custom spells, which means there will no doubt be less of them, but they will be more original. I also want to continue on with the idea of having most of the story sequences shown in comic book esque storyboards (meaning most cutscenes would be executed this way). Basically I have decided to make the entire game custom save some modded enemies and few modded tilesets. Probably means the game will take a while longer, and be smaller than the scope I had projected, but much more of an original experience. I will be making a preview for it in the games section with shots to show just what I have planned. The gameplay will change in a few important ways from what I had been working on as well.

I will also be releasing all the armours I made for the game originally, since I will most likely be using different sprite styles entirely.

I would like to release all of the spells I won't be using, but many of them are taken from spells which I otherwise downloaded off of RPGmaker rescource pages, meaning they wouldn't be copyrighted anyway, but I'd have to ask Mike if that would be alright. Some of the modded ones I will still be using.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Yeah, a game doesn't have to be long to be good. Customized resources do tend it to the good side, though.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 pm

This game was in limbo for a while, I have resumed work on it some. I currently have 2 custom tilesets and several that I used ripped backgrounds then modified colors, details and surroundings. I plan to do similar things for other resources, as well as create a few stages and enemies from scratch. I started to make custom sprites again, and the main character is almost done. All the maps I had made as well as any enemies I had have been destroyed. I don't plan to seriously create maps until 3D is introduced, because I will build the maps around that.

The current style I had planned was a Streets of rage type brawler with dungeon exploration. In light of the soon 3d features I am considering purging that and going for a 3rd person perspective adventure style. I will probably just start a new game when 3d is available though
Last edited by 5econds on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:21 pm

A few custom tilesets? You wish. That's pretty good.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 am

Thank you. Well I have several now that I basically made by taking ripped background's from other games, modifying them and then ripping certain parts from that. Then I have a couple I made mostly from my head. Once I get a tablet I will draw a lot of stuff and then mod and rip that

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:15 am

You should make characters to go with that industrial feel.
Probably 21st century-ish robotics. Not too futuristic, though.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:51 am

all characters will be custom sprites, I'm not sure if they will be 3d or not yet. Either way they will be very comic like. The technology is something along the lines of terminator maybe, with a lot of nanotechnology sort of deals, liquid metal and so on. But keep in mind the story revolves around an earth shattered by war and then rebuilt in the span of around 50-75 years or so. There are cities and themes both Utopian and dystopian, and all of it is very industrial.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:59 am

Right. Sounds good.
When is the demo?!

The M4 Team Salutes You.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 pm

In light of 1.5 and all that it brings I will most likely change the focus of the game to a 3rd person plat former, in the vein of Megaman legends, Tombraider, and the like. To do this I really must wait until 1.5, so I can see how I like the editor on it. I am imagining it will be fairly straight foward. I will try to mess around with a 3d editor until then, if I can find one with a low learning curve

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm afraid 3d won't be available in 1.5.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:47 pm

seriously, I thought that was one of the features with it. maybe I won't wait then
Last edited by 5econds on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Which will take pretty long, so I'd suggest you work on your game first.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

5econds
001 Fanatic

Postby 5econds » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:16 am

um, forget what I said. I thought about it and I've done a lot of work for this game to be 2D and I still think a scrolling beat 'em up with platformer elements would rock. I'll try have a demo as soon as I finish the maps for stage 1

Return to Games In Progress