Hello! New Indie Developer here!

New to the forums? Going on vacation? Leaving forever? Tell us!
Ceirenthir

Hello! New Indie Developer here!

Postby Ceirenthir » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Hello everyone! New person here! After a minor mixup with my account's permissions (Thanks for fixing that by the way Mike!), I'm here to say hello!

So a little about me..

I discovered Engine001 few years back, but I never did anything with it. Plus I was still new to game development back then. I messed around with it for a few days but that was it. Since then I've become very serious about game development and in fact I've been working on my own game engines for a while now.

I've been tinkering with making my own game engines, at first I was using Pygame with the Python language. Then I moved to Slick2D for Java where I was working on a game called Evermore. It was meant to sorta be like a weird mix of Elder Scrolls and Minecraft in a 2D world (Lol). I had working Tiled Maps generating and had basic collision down and a working point and click interface. I however couldn't get the camera to work right and every time I moved the camera, the coordinates on everything would get messed up. I eventually just gave up on that project.

After Evermore, still using Java and the Slick2D library, I ended up working on a game called Galactic Imperialism. It was going to be a Turn Based 4x Style Grand Strategy game. It was going to have designable units and a research system and all sorts of other grand plans. With this game, the code was kept very neat and clean and I ended up going for a pseudo component data driven engine. It actually was coming along very nicely, I had zooming and part of the designable units down and stuff. I had the galaxies generating and stuff but, I just eventually lost interest in the way I was implementing everything, and the project is sitting in Bitbucket collecting dust. I'll probably reincarnate this project in the future.

After Galactic Imperialism, I moved on to a new project. M.Y.T.H.O.S. Still using Java, I moved on to libGDX as a replacement for Slick2D. Slick's age is showing, and it's no longer really being developed, so I moved on to the new shinier libGDX. libGDX is actually a pretty amazing library. It's really easy to use, and very powerful, and this allowed me to not have to build things like Tiled Map loaders and Cameras. libGDX is also twice as fast at rendering than Slick2D.

So apart from the technical stuff..M.Y.T.H.O.S. is a pretty ambitious project, I'll admit. But my fiance is working with this one with me. Since June I'd been working on Mythos with Java and libGDX, and the engine was coming along well. But eventually I realized...I'm not really a programmer. I was excited to do this project because I wanted to really-really make this game, not because I necessarily really enjoy programming. And this engine was proving to be far more than I wanted to do. It's not necessarily I don't think that I don't have the skills to do it, it's just, I ran out of motivation to continue working on something so huge by myself (the engine I mean.) So I put the engine on hold, and I started looking around.

Of course one of the first things I checked out was the newest RpgMaker VX Ace. Hell, RpgMaker 2003 years ago was where I first learned how to program in the first place, so I gave it a shot. Got the VX Ace on sale through Steam, and I started playing around with it. Due to some technical issues and me not wanting to have to get very hacky with Ruby scripting, I gave up on that idea. It probably would've had performance issues with some of the things I want to do with Mythos anyway.

And so eventually I remembered the Engine001. I've been playing around experimenting with things in the free version, and I'm pretty content with the engine. The editor and engine has done SO much for me already, that I really want to use this engine to make Mythos with. So I subscribed yesterday and I've been playing around with the beta version now, but, a few things appear to be broken in the beta. It is beta so that's to be expected I guess.

So what version do you guys recommend using for serious development? Do you think I can work around some of the issues in the beta, or should I use the free version until the new beta comes out that fixes these issues? The beta versions editor is also relatively unstable as well. But other than annoying, I haven't actually lost any work yet in my experimenting. Also if I DO use the free version, but I am a subscriber, is the commercial license still valid?

tl;dr - I'm new. I talked about my history in game development way too much. Which version of the engine and editor should I use for serious commercial game development? (if I use the free version but I am a subscriber, is that allowed?)

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Hello! New Indie Developer here!

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Welcome ;)

Glad to see an experienced user joining up. Plus it is an amazing time to be a subscriber, some extremely exciting things are coming out very soon :lol:

I would suggest using the most recent Beta for creating your games, there are some very useful features like Push events, disabling the 001 logo during loading and default start menu disable options that lets you create a more custom tailored feel to your games.

Hope you enjoy your stay :D
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Ceirenthir

Postby Ceirenthir » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks, glad to be here. Looks like a pretty interesting community. =) And yeah, I'll be sure to use the sub version. I actually REALLY like this engine and editor. As I said, it does so much stuff for me. From what I can tell, even though it's really easy to use, it is ridicously powerful in what it is capable of doing with relative ease on the part of the developer. The only issue I have is that I'm afraid it won't be very stable.

Right now I'm working on an experimental game to test out the Engine and learn how to do things before I get started for real. If I'm content with it, I'll probably upload it to the site. That should also give time for the shiny new version to come out.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Welcome!

The beta is stable as long as you don't break it :-P

None of my beta projects have any issues currently, you just have to be careful about how you design your scripts sometimes. But you are encouraged to use the beta and report any bugs you find.

Ceirenthir

Postby Ceirenthir » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Good to know! Yeah one of the nightly builds from the other day from my experimental game I had my fiance playtesting. She said she was just killing spiders in the forest and the game crashed. She closed it before I could see the error :lol:. So after that I was a bit worried if it crashed because of something I DID (probably something from my mucking around with the HUDs lol) or because of some instability.

Return to Hello, Away, Goodbye