Failure

New to the forums? Going on vacation? Leaving forever? Tell us!
ITB
001 Subscriber

Failure

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm leaving 001. I don't know when I'm going to be back if I ever come back at all. My reasons behind leaving is that I feel as though I'm just a huge pile of failures. No games released, can't script, horrible art skills... all that good stuff. Every time I try to learn something new that would really help me out, I fail. And keep failing. I feel as though I just can't do anything that has to deal with game development and I envy those who can. All those lucky people who can learn and understand what they learned. As for me, I feel as though I will never learn how to do all these things, learn all these skills. I've tried countless times but I just don't get it, and I figure that if I fail every tutorial, every class, It can't be the teachers. I think it must be me. I guess I was never cut out for the gaming industry. Wasn't my niche I suppose.

Shame I'm gonna have to go, but I thank you all for the memories.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Failure

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:19 pm

What?! But... That's not fair :( You don't have to leave the community!

Also, you are in HMPM, you can't leave! Who will beta test HMPM for me? :cry: You don't have to make games... Your still a cool guy on the forums :D

*throws lasso*

:cry:
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Mr.Numbers wrote:What?! But... That's not fair :( You don't have to leave the community!

The more I watch all of you make amazing games, the more I envy you and the more I wish I could learn to do the same

Mr.Numbers wrote:Also, you are in HMPM, you can't leave! Who will beta test HMPM for me? :cry: You don't have to make games... Your still a cool guy on the forums :D

I'm sure there is someone else around here that would be happy to help you out, Numbers.

Mr.Numbers wrote:*throws lasso*

*cuts lasso*

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 pm

In_the_Bushes wrote:The more I watch all of you make amazing games, the more I envy you and the more I wish I could learn to do the same

Come on man. It's not all bad. So you can't make amazing games but it doesn't mean you're a complete failure at everything. We're not all cut out to do certain things. I myself suck completely at art and I took Art as a subject at school, thinking I'd improve but I didn't. I'm just not cut out for it. I wish I could do amazing art but I can't and I'm not going to let it get me down because I'm good at other things, such as building web sites - which has become so good I'm actually making a profit from it.

There's also no reason why you can't stick around the forums. You don't have to make a game, resource or tutorial in order to qualify being here. Just chatting on the forums is good enough :D. If you know that you're not cut out for game development then why not try and pursue some other interests and see where that leads? AND you can still stick around here while doing so!
Lee - 001 Community Manager

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Lee wrote:I wish I could do amazing art but I can't and I'm not going to let it get me down because I'm good at other things, such as building web sites - which has become so good I'm actually making a profit from it.

Problem. I don't have any talents. Woohoo.

Lee wrote:If you know that you're not cut out for game development then why not try and pursue some other interests and see where that leads? AND you can still stick around here while doing so!

I don't know of any other jobs that really interest me.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Lee wrote:There's also no reason why you can't stick around the forums. You don't have to make a game, resource or tutorial in order to qualify being here. Just chatting on the forums is good enough :D.

Precisely. If this were the case, I would have left a long time ago. :P
Anyway, if you need help scripting something, just make a topic on the forum. There are a lot of people here willing to walk you through any scripting problems or help you need. You've gotta help yourself first though. Just take it step by step until you start to get the hang of it. Progress is progress no matter how small.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:06 pm

In_the_Bushes wrote:Problem. I don't have any talents. Woohoo.

...yet!

In_the_Bushes wrote:I don't know of any other jobs that really interest me.

Don't think of them as jobs. What do you like doing? What do you do in your spare time? Hobbies/activities, etc. If you don't have any then have a think about some things and explore them. For example; two years ago I was looking for a new hobby to pass the time when my father mentioned vegetable gardening (that he used to do before my parents divorced) so I started to peruse it and ended up really enjoying it. Now I have my own vegetable plot at my house where I grow delicious fruits and vegetables - that are way better than the stuff you buy at a super-market.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Zhuge wrote:Anyway, if you need help scripting something, just make a topic on the forum. There are a lot of people here willing to walk you through any scripting problems or help you need. You've gotta help yourself first though. Just take it step by step until you start to get the hang of it. Progress is progress no matter how small.

I've been using 001 for almost 3 years and have made little to no progress in terms of scripting or art since I first started.

Lee wrote:Don't think of them as jobs. What do you like doing? What do you do in your spare time? Hobbies/activities, etc. If you don't have any then have a think about some things and explore them.

I like to play video games and I like to go outside.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:48 pm

But-but-but-but, you can't! You simply can't! I haven't released a single game yet, but I still love watching the development of the community and the engine.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:02 pm

You may not have released a game, but you've become a beta tester. Something most will never do.

I on the other hand have not done much for the community except submit 2 tutorials and some crappy resources. I'm quite the contributor.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Just being here and becoming one of the major members at the moment is doing something. ;)

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 pm

I doubt that I was a major member and I doubt being a user on the forums has helped/improved the community in any way. All I've done in terms of contributing is spam the Games in Progress thread with projects that die within the next few days.

Inxth
001 Forum Master

Postby Inxth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey... ITB... Actually, the fact that you try means A LOT to us. With the addition of you being an awesome member of the forums, someone funny, easy to talk to and such, if you leave now, it means we DO lose a major member. Like, no, seriously, you've been here for about as long as I have. Okay, maybe a bit shorter than that, but someone who's stuck by us for THAT LONG is just as valuable as any other, game maker or no. You, my friend, hold massive amounts of potential. Seriously. Don't leave us, you're a valuable member of this community and you have always been.
I'm back, but not in business. Woop woop.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I hold massive amounts of potential? By posting messages in the random chat thread?

Did I mention my failures follow me into the real world as well? Out here behind my computer, I believe I'm quite a hated human being. Rejected constantly, always picked on and bossed around. Even the youth leaders at my church hate me.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Pfft, you don't have to contribute anything to have a place in this community. I'm not sure where you got that from. :P
Why do you feel like you don't belong here? What you have submitted already is good enough. Even taking part in a discussion is contributing to the forum. I personally haven't "contributed" anything for... so long I don't even remember. Hell, even by posting in the RCT, you've contributed to our need to talk. That's a notable achievement. :P
If you feel like you're not doing enough, why not have a go at it something as simple as fixing grammar on the wiki, or posting missing images, or redirecting? Making games and submitting resources and tutorials are not the only way to contribute. But even then, you have to want to do something. Just saying you have no talent and giving up won't get you any closer to what you want to do. You have to work towards wanting to learn to script, or improving your art. It's not going to happen over night, but just throwing in the towel doesn't make any progress.
And on that note, why do you think you don't have any talent? You're way more skilled in art than a lot of people here (not saying any names, but a lot of people here suck at sketching on this forum. :P), and you've had some pretty creative ideas for games. You just have to keep working at what you want to do. You can't just give up because you feel like you haven't done enough. Think up some ideas, or post a thread asking for some, or find some tutorials on improving art. It'll come over time.

Inxth
001 Forum Master

Postby Inxth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:43 pm

In_the_Bushes wrote:I hold massive amounts of potential? By posting messages in the random chat thread?

You do hold potential. You don't gain it, you have it to begin with. You just have to make the most of it.
I'm back, but not in business. Woop woop.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Zhuge wrote:But even then, you have to want to do something. Just saying you have no talent and giving up won't get you any closer to what you want to do. You have to work towards wanting to learn to script, or improving your art. It's not going to happen over night, but just throwing in the towel doesn't make any progress.

In_the_Bushes wrote:I've tried countless times but I just don't get it

In_the_Bushes wrote:I've been using 001 for almost 3 years and have made little to no progress in terms of scripting or art since I first started.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Try again. If it's something you really want, you have to keep working for it, no matter how many times it takes.
If you're not satisfied, and it's still something you want to achieve, you have to continue going at it. What do you want to learn to script? What would make you feel like you've achieved something, or made progress? You have to have a goal if you want to improve. Just not being talented is too vague. Talented compared to who, or what standards?
What do you want to do? What do you want to achieve?

emanresU
001 Fanatic

Location: Not really sure, I think this GPS is broken *sigh* I knew I should have turned left at albuquerque

Postby emanresU » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:36 am

Okay ITB you think you haven't contributed, I contribute nothing as zero, zip nill not a thing to the actual game part(I have been meaning to try to contribute something). I do not know how to scrip I can't do anything in paint and I'm not that good with computers. So are you saying I should leave? Is that what you are saying you don't want me here?
If you answer that with anything other than a "yes you should go" then you have to stay. I'll miss you even if I haven't really talk to you. Your ITB you're a major part of the community if you ask anyone who post on the forums even semi regularly I bet you they would know who you are. I saw a garden gnome in my grandmothers garden and the first thing i thought was Oh man that thing is in the bushes. Please don't go. I know this probably hasn't helped any.
I know feeling like a failure I can give you a list of everything I have done in the past three years since high school and I have failed almost everything on it. Don't leave and don't give up not if you really love it.
To live without dreams is to sleep through life and what a waste that would be.

All things past through day and night
They change as surely as the light
Form may fade they are never gone
In memory they remain ever on

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:44 am

There is no reason to leave! I haven't posted any games or tutorials, or resources or anything. I just wanted to be a nice guy on the forums just like you. Think about that. I am still here. ;)

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:12 am

firstly i'd like to point out that even if you have no talent in being able to script, draw, sprite or any of those skills you say you don't have then you can still be a massive part of the gaming isdutry, it's called "game design" it's where you come up with the ideas for a game instead of just building the game yourself. and secondly, don't go, just none of that leaving business

now lets turn that
In_the_Bushes wrote:I'm a failure :(

into
In_the_Bushes wrote:I'm staying! woo! :D

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:14 pm

You see? Not everyone here contributes to tutorials, makes resources or games. The 001 forums isnt just a place to do things and help others, it is also a wonderful place to share your opinions or even just hang out and have some fun with members. It would really be a shame to see you leave... And ontop of it to leave for such a silly reason :P

Your a great person who is fun to talk with, if you must leave, so be it... But please, at least come up with a better reason :P I will not let you leave for such simple reasons! *grabs leg*
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

JamX
001 Subscriber

Postby JamX » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 pm

No. You stay here! Your no failure to us!
If you want to do something, just try something. There's gotta be something your good at!!

In_the_Bushes wrote:Did I mention my failures follow me into the real world as well? Out here behind my computer, I believe I'm quite a hated human being. Rejected constantly, always picked on and bossed around. Even the youth leaders at my church hate me.

Just take some time to talk with them. Find out whats bugging them. See what you can do to change there opinion about you.
And for being part of this community, you are NOT hated here. So theres no reason to leave.

Before I ever joined these forums, I thought I had to prove myself somehow. So I waited to speak until I had started those 001 ads.
I understand what your saying. Sometimes I think I'm a failure too, not that everyone hates me, but because I'm a perfectionist.

So just try making something. Work hard on it for sometime. Tell only a few people that you trust them to know the answer to questions you may have. Then surprise everyone with your accomplishment.

This doesn't have to be a videogame. Or even part of this community. You could write stories, compose music, draw pictures. There are so many things you could do. Find a hobby, or join up with a few freinds and start a club.

Being someone who does try and fails is a lot better off than giving up altogether.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:55 pm

I'll stay. And give Doodle another go.

emanresU
001 Fanatic

Location: Not really sure, I think this GPS is broken *sigh* I knew I should have turned left at albuquerque

Postby emanresU » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:29 am

YAY THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I HAVE HAD ALL DAY!!!!! WOOOOOO!
To live without dreams is to sleep through life and what a waste that would be.

All things past through day and night
They change as surely as the light
Form may fade they are never gone
In memory they remain ever on

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:30 am

In_the_Bushes wrote:I'll stay. And give Doodle another go.

Good to hear :).

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 am

Yay! Good news!
Don't feel inclined to have to complete a game. Just pop in regularly and talk to us, your humble friends. :D

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Yeah, I think you contributed quite abit. :] You made it more lively with your converstations and helped others while you can. I don't think you need to have fancy art skills, or anything to make you feel like you're something. You already are by talking to us like a friend. It'll be sad that you're leaving the community because you think like that. You're really a family member for us, so it'll be like the brother distanting himself from a family. If you need a break that's fine, but you're leaving because you feel like you don't belong. Never. :D

Anyways, I'm really glad you're staying! :D You can post in the forum game topics when you feel very bored. It's been quite active. :P

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Yay! Good thing you are staying! :D

And if you think about it, HMPM wouldent make much sense cause its all 001 user related :P They would go "Who does the bush person represent? 0.o"

And good to hear your going to continue work on doodle! :D

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 am

WOHOOOOOOO! YAY! ITB stays!
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Return to Hello, Away, Goodbye