Horror Games

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
RPGCreator
001 Enthusiast

Horror Games

Postby RPGCreator » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Well, feeling like I wanted to beat another game series, I picked up Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, 3, 4, 5. (Just the regulars. Not Any of the other ones) Anyway, they obviously improve over time, but the storyline gets a bit boring. It does twist regular zombie games a bit, but it isn't much in the way of terrifying.
I have the Dead Space series, which, in my opinion, really defined sci-fi and horror gaming. It's pretty terrifying, and plain out bloody.
I have a few others, and I was wondering what all of your favorite horror games were?

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Re: Horror Games

Postby Ovoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Horror games in my opinion, almost always miss the mark. When it comes down to horror, I have really high standards, and if they're not met, they fall flat on their face. Dead Space, Resident Evil and F.E.A.R are all poor horror games in my opinion. They didn't ever give me the feeling of fear when that is their purpose. I still like them as games, but not as horror games. If you want the best of the best I recommend Amnesia: The Dark Descent. And if you have an Xbox 360, get Condemned: Criminal Origins. Those two are my personal favorites. Also, for some good japanese horror, I suggest Fatal Frame series and Silent Hill 2. One game that really has it's horrifying moments is Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
DOOF

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

The Silent Hill series, especially the first 2 games.

More recently - Amnesia
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Raisrviln
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Raisrviln » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:21 am

i like the resident evil series XD
i also liked the silent hill game too.
Condemned is a good horror set also.
left 4 dead- number one was great number two not so much

Serrie

Postby Serrie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:32 pm

I love survival horror games n.n except I've never seen a horror movie :P

I bought The Grudge for my wii, turned the volume way down, and turned all the lights on so I wouldn't get scared. Then my wiimote started making the death rattle noise, and I threw it out the window :( other than that it was a fun game, waaaaay too short though, only five levels :(

I have Fatal Frame too, but I can't beat it, mostly because ghosts pop out of nowhere, and my natural reaction is to throw the controller everytime it happens, and I got sick of buying new ps2 controllers.

I have lots of other horror games too, but most of them I haven't gotten through the opening scene yet, I'll work on that some other time.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Amnesia.

The same people also made Penumbra or whatever it's called, and that game(s) is definitely scary, but the setting and storyline are boring which makes for a crappy game. But Amnesia is where it's at.

I don't think I'll ever be scared by a game as much as when the original Resident Evil first came out, and I stumbled upon that first zombie munching on some brains. That one scene revolutionized horror games. Every RE game after the second one pretty much abandoned the horror genre and went for action, which was lame.

priest865
001 Subscriber

Postby priest865 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:01 am

System Shock 2 was my first Horror game. Still my favourite. A shame the game cd is broken :(

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Silent Hill series. Just beat the first one on my ps3, classic :D . I'm waiting for an HD release of Silent Hill 2, It's like the first, but with good graphics. Resident evil (1,2,3) is fine, though.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Condmened.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:10 pm

I was gonna mention Condemned but I forgot the name. Definitely a very freaky game, and fun.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Siren, for sure. It made me terrified about the light and water, instead of the darkness. I really like the design of the game. Play as different characters, always replay the same areas, however, you'll replay areas with new situations. Like Pero locked gate 2 in the morning before entering warehouse. Susan 2 can not access gate 2, so she must go through a celler. Done very well! :D

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Amnesia, Penumbra maybe you will also like The Suffering.

Some people say Resident Evil, FEAR, DooM 3 is scary, but they are most likely just 10 year olds that scream if just anything pops up on the screen. L4D isn't a horror game, don't even bother with that, it's a good shooter tho. FEAR has it's "schyzophrenic" side, but you are able to complete to the game without jumping even once.

Silent Hill games are also rather cool, Clive Barker's Jericho/Undying is pretty cool too, maybe not the scariest tho.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 am

haraldx wrote:FEAR has it's "schyzophrenic" side, but you are able to complete to the game without jumping even once.

And even that only applies to the first game, the sequels aren't scary at all. :|
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:07 am

I was never into horror games. I am too chicken. :D

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:14 am

Wonderland wrote:I was never into horror games. I am too chicken. :D

Meh, modern horror games aren't horrory at all, maybe some scenes are cool, but overally I can complete most games without jumping or anything even once. You should try some, unless you can be easily scared, you will find out it's not that bad.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 am

haraldx wrote:

Meh, modern horror games aren't horrory at all, maybe some scenes are cool, but overally I can complete most games without jumping or anything even once. You should try some, unless you can be easily scared, you will find out it's not that bad.

Mhhm. I am scared of Nightime in minecraft! :lol:

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Wonderland wrote:
haraldx wrote:

Mhhm. I am scared of Nightime in minecraft! :lol:

Ok, you are more chicken than I thought :lol:

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 pm

AAAAHHHH! Creeper! Behind me! :lol:

Return to General Discussion