What controller do you use?

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
rulegram
001 Enthusiast

What controller do you use?

Postby rulegram » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 am

I'm working on a game for the PC, and I was wondering what the most common controller is?

I use a USB controller that has PlayStation buttons (i.e. X, square, circle, triangle). I know that others use Xbox style controllers. Which control method should I go with?

Cheers :D
Best 001 quote ever: "this is a HUGE GAME. It has a file of 68.59MB." - dude

Danny
001 Forum Master

Re: What controller do you use?

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:56 am

For some reason i really hate controllers on a Pc, i love using the mouse seems much smoother and more accurate when sniping and shooting and the keyboard for everything else. But... there is one exception, if its a platformer game which is rare i use an Xbox 360 controller.

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 am

I use a XEOX Pro Analog Gamepad. It's shaped like the Xbox 360 controller, but it works for both PC and PS3, which is exactly what I needed. I like to play third person games like Assassin's Creed or Deadspace that have auto aim with a controller because it's more relaxed, however FPS and RTS I play with mouse and keyboard.

If you plan to make a game with gamepad optimized controls you should probably go with the Xbox 360 scheme because it's the most common controller used for Windows.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Wouldn't PS and Xbox controllers be the same inputs tho? I think they're mapped to the same button numbers, so technically one set up would work with the other. The only case I think would be different is the Xbox 360's triggers. Not sure if PS3 has triggers on their R2 and L2s tho, if they do then it should be the same no matter what controller you use.

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm

When using MotionInJoy with XInput mapping the button numbers are the same. Without MotionInJoy (or when using something else than XInput) they are not, and everything is pretty messed up. The DualShock controllers use analog buttons with their own axis for R2/L2, similar to the Xbox 360 pad.

However what I really meant to say is that he should reference the Xbox layout in the interface. So button A and button B, not X and Circle etc.

Return to General Discussion