Hi there!

New to the forums? Going on vacation? Leaving forever? Tell us!
photocyte

Hi there!

Postby photocyte » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:18 pm

tldr; I've done a ton of research and 001 seems to be the most feature-rich engine right out of the box.

Just joined the forums after owning 001 for a while now. I have a bad habit of collecting engines instead of making games. So I finally got serious about getting a game out, and went into a "actual" requirements gathering stage (not fiddling with engines lol). So I made my GSheet, put in the features I wanted, and started cranking through all the engines I've mess with, and others I've just read the docs on. And seriously, out of all of them, 001 won.

Here's what else I've tested

Gamemaker Studio (clicky, but still a lot of DIY)
RPGMaker MV (limited in scope, unless you basically rewrite their engine)
Phaser.js (good, but lots of DIY)
PIXI.js (ALL DIY)
Impact.js (no or limited maintainer support...engine is bitrotting)
XNA/MonoGame (awesome frameworks, but all DIY)
Clickteam Fusion (clicky, but not enough features...feels like old-school Shockwave)
Unity (blech so messy)
Godot (ok)
Cocos (cool, but again on the DIY)
Duality (so-so)
Love2D (f'ing awesome, but all DIY)
AppGameKit (bleh)
And probably more that I am forgetting about.

After not finding an engine that completely met my needs, I resigned myself to write my own with Love2D (amazing framework btw). But then I was in Steam and under my apps saw 001 and said 'hey let me load it up again and see...'

Here is my criteria list:

Map editor
Input handling
Collision handling/resolution
Screen flash/shake
UI
Scene manager
Sound
Particles
Physics
Shaders
Real data structures
Timelines/Cutscenes
State machines
Inventory DB
Object inheritance
Ease of use
Animation support
Resource loader

The one thing I'm not 100% clear on is shader usage. 001's docs are a bit sparse, but the features make up for it since it's pretty intuitive to sort out what you need to do. I figured out how to create actors, attach events to them, flash the screen and actor, and knock the actor back in about 30 minutes. Now I need to figure out if I can apply a velocity curve to 'Push' lol.

Anyway, I've spent ages searching for an engine that will help me not get so distracted by coding, and rather sit down and write the game script and create the art and stitch it together fast.

So, glad I would up here. And thanks to the creators/maintainer for keeping this thing going. I hope what I'm building will eventually be a commercial indy game!

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Hi there!

Postby Mr.Numbers » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 am

Welcome to our 001 community, hope you enjoy your stay!

Awesome to see that 001 meets your needs, the one thing that I'm positive currently isn't possible is the engine does NOT have shader support. There is a tinting option for maps, but thats it unfortunately.

If you need assistance with anything though such as that push issue, be sure to post in our "Technical Support" section and we will be more than happy to help you out when we have a chance!
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:33 am

Howdy partner !

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:34 am

Welcome friend!

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:16 am

Just to clarify, we support shaders via materials. But no custom ones are planned.

Whoacoder
001 Support

Postby Whoacoder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm

This is basically what happened to me, too ;)

I tried prototyping in so many different engines, but 001 sealed the deal with ease of use, features, and literally everything I needed was self contained within the program (I have touched an external program to resize some minimap images maybe twice lol.)

Welcome :D

photocyte

Postby photocyte » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks everyone, and thanks Mike for the clarification.

Return to Hello, Away, Goodbye