Upgrading My PC To Windows 8

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Upgrading My PC To Windows 8

Postby gerardred » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:40 am

Currently My OS Is Windows 7 Ultimate But It Is A Wise Decision To Upgrade My PC To Windows 8 Pro ? :)

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Re: Upgrading My PC To Windows 8

Postby Dunce » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54 am

I have win8 and it's been good to me so far. It's a little bit different from previous windows OSs, but doesn't take too long to get used to. Just stick to the desktop app if you do.

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:12 am

Why switch? Windows 8 sucks big time. It's ugly, slow and cumbersome. Sure, it's good for touchscreens, but that is the only advantage over Windows 7 I have experienced.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 am

My parents have it and normally I'm the one they call when they need something fixed (which is pretty often :|) and I'm with kerub on this one. Maybe it's cause I don't use it but I never know where anything is.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:50 pm

I was really against win8 until I tried it, I think it doesn't look half-bad and it's a lot faster on my old machine than win7.
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Ya, I don't know what you are talking about when you say slow. I've definitely felt it go faster than my win7. The app screen might be ugly to you, but that's why I said stick to the desktop app and it'll be like has always been.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:12 pm

I can't stand Windows 8. That is all.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 am

His name is Mike, and he has a Windows 7. Do you? ;)
[Brought to you by a nearby commercial]

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:44 am

There is no reason to upgrade to Windows 8 because it doesn't offer anything new over Windows 7. It was originally designed for mobile devices so unless you have a touch screen monitor you won't really benefit from it, only get frustrated because everything is in a different place :P. I'd hold out until Windows 9 - Microsoft have a track record for screwing up their OS, only to then fix it in the next version.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: AW: Upgrading My PC To Windows 8

Postby kerub » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 am

Dunce wrote:Ya, I don't know what you are talking about when you say slow. I've definitely felt it go faster than my win7. The app screen might be ugly to you, but that's why I said stick to the desktop app and it'll be like has always been.

The over all performance might be the same, but I mean the work flow in Windows 8. There are just so many good things they threw out for Metro. And sadly, without hacks, you can not evade that piece of shit because it's everywhere, not just the app drawer. Also there is no start menu, and that is something really important to me. And if you reactivate all of this stuff by hacks you could just stay with Windows 7.

Maybe we'll see some better stuff with 8.1 coming up.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:52 am

Nope. 8.1 is just as terrible haha.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:27 am

kerub wrote:
Dunce wrote:Ya, I don't know what you are talking about when you say slow. I've definitely felt it go faster than my win7. The app screen might be ugly to you, but that's why I said stick to the desktop app and it'll be like has always been.

The over all performance might be the same, but I mean the work flow in Windows 8. There are just so many good things they threw out for Metro. And sadly, without hacks, you can not evade that piece of shit because it's everywhere, not just the app drawer. Also there is no start menu, and that is something really important to me. And if you reactivate all of this stuff by hacks you could just stay with Windows 7.

"8.1" is just a new naming convention for "Service Pack 1". It's not a new OS.

Darkangel
001 Admirer

Postby Darkangel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 am

Oooo this OS (operating system) makes me angry...

Personally I would strongly recommend not upgrading until you really NEED it, windows 7 is excellent! no doubt!
As for windows 8 its annoying, it makes me feel like windows 7 has been DOWNgraded

NOTE: Appollogies for getting ranty, Microsoft has angered me a great deal...

My following reasons...

The Start Menu
The "start menu" has now been turned into a "start screen" which as the name implys, this menu takes up the whole screen, even the taskbar. This is 2013 people! back in older OS im certain the program interfaces took up the entire screen with no minimize. we don't have that anymore, we have moved onto menus that do not take up the whole screen to manage are pcs effectively.

A more common problem i have is im doing something on the desktop and i need to open a program, i open the start screen, i head to the toilet or something, come back and forget what i was doing because i have a the desktop covered by the start screen.

Also the start screen scrolls left & right and has icons...sorry i though this was a menu...with dropbars etc also im sure im working on a PC not a touchphone... also what if your start screen is full with MANY programs that you will have to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll just to get there (i may be wrong here..never had this happen...yet...)

In short, the start menu no longer exists...
and also it makes your PC harder to navigate...

Extra Steps
To shut of your PC on older OS, all you have to do is move your mouse to the start button, next, click, after that, move the mouse to the shutdown button and click. Done!
Windows 8...move your mouse to the top right of the screen, wait for a side menu to popup, move the mouse down to the settings button and click. Then move your mouse to the power button, click, a menu will popup, click on shutdown...*cough cough weez*

In statistics, this is how many more actions you need to do, just to shut the PC down compared to older versions
OLDER = 4*
WIN8 = 8*
*including moving of mouse and waiting for stuff to apear

Pointless PC/OS protection
Now everytime you login, you MUST have a windows live account and must enter your password in everytime you start up your PC (and return from screensaver, but that can be disabled) I seriously doubt its to protect your PC, more like protect the countless millions coming into microsoft over pirated OS's at our expense...

and now the GOOD
Task Manager
This is excellent as it now gives you more details into what your entire PC is doing! :D Need i say more? Fine! :|
It shows what all your drives are upto, Harddrive, disk drive, devices and USBs... Very good!

So in conclusion you have payed for...windows 7 with upgraded Task manager, downgraded start men-- sorry, start screen, extra steps into shutting down your PC and pointless PC/OS protection
or to put it another way...take the bad stuff of win8 away and keep the good and add it to win7 = win7 with better task manager!

More bad stuff that sorta dosnt count...
Microsoft Programs follow Win8
I got a copy of Microsoft office 2013 recently and it cant save documents for its life, it saves in cloud storage by default, everything i want to save something i have to navagate to my documents...and its harder than it sounds...aka more steps involved...

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 pm

kerub wrote:

The app menu is the new Start Menu. You can still right click the bottom left corner to get quick access options like Programs and Features, Power Options, Event Viewer, System, Device Manager, Disk Management, Computer Management, Command Prompt, Control Panel, Search, and Run. The app menu is basically the Quick Launch bar and Start Menu combined into a fullscreen window.

Now the apps can be a little lame to use, but they are totally optional. Just uninstall or unpin the apps it comes with and just use it for shortcuts.

What did they throw out? I honestly don't miss them if there is something missing. I use my computer a lot, at least 12 hours a day if not the whole day, everyday. Win8 has not given me any trouble, since the initial getting used to it phase back in January.

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 am

Darkangel wrote:Now everytime you login, you MUST have a windows live account and must enter your password in everytime you start up your PC

You don't need to use a windows live account, and you also don't need to have a password - you can create a user account without one just like previous versions of Windows.

Dunce wrote:What did they throw out? I honestly don't miss them if there is something missing. I use my computer a lot, at least 12 hours a day if not the whole day, everyday. Win8 has not given me any trouble, since the initial getting used to it phase back in January.

Yeah, I've been using it since November and haven't noticed anything missing :P (Well, apart from being able to play dvds with Windows Media Player)
And it didn't take me long to get used to it, the majority of it is the same as Win7.

The new start menu is also better for me. It's easier to find stuff. And the way I have always used the start menu is to press Start then type in what program I want - which I've found has been faster on Win8 than Win7. Other than this and after the initial install, you don't have to see/use metro (on install, the metro apps are set as default, but when you open a file it lets you swap to the desktop version easily).

Also, if a (desktop) program has to be run with desktop composition disabled, on Win8 it's per application so it doesn't change the whole theme to the basic theme which is a huge plus for me (and most people won't even know what I'm talking about...)

And if you disable the UAC in Win8, it doesn't run every application with admin rights so I that's kinda safer in some ways, but can also be annoying too.

Mike wrote:I can't stand Windows 8. That is all.

I guess that's why we can't select Windows 8 as our operating system in the user control panel? :P
(And as a side, 8GB is the maximum amount of RAM you can enter...)

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 am

hellblade wrote:(And as a side, 8GB is the maximum amount of RAM you can enter...)

Srsly? You can't use more than 8 GB of RAM on Windows 8? I can't imagine that.

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:29 am

Haha no, I meant on the forum profile here :P Wikipedia says Windows 8 supports up to 512GB.

Darkangel
001 Admirer

Postby Darkangel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 am

hellblade wrote:
Darkangel wrote:Now everytime you login, you MUST have a windows live account and must enter your password in everytime you start up your PC

You don't need to use a windows live account, and you also don't need to have a password - you can create a user account without one just like previous versions of Windows.

Whaaaaaaa :o

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 am

But My Parents Force Me To Upgrade Into Windows 8 :(
Last edited by gerardred on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am

Wha- why? Couldn't they save money by not?
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 am

Not even Microsoft uses Windows 8. Is there some reason you specifically HAVE to upgrade to 8?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 am

Tabula Rasa wrote:Not even Microsoft uses Windows 8.

Albeit I do believe you - where is your evidence?

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am

For most of their servers, they use Linux. However, for their desktop "programmer" machines, they probably use Windows. Side note: They also probably hand copies out like candy.
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:45 am

Mike wrote:
Tabula Rasa wrote:Not even Microsoft uses Windows 8.

Albeit I do believe you - where is your evidence?

At E3, Microsoft was showing off demos for the Xbox One on PCs that used exclusively Windows 7.
This may be just due to the way they test their dev kits, or possibly they know Windows 8 isn't the most stable platform for gaming.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:19 am

Windows 8.1 look's like this (in my friend computer)
windows 8.1.PNG

oscartoby

Postby oscartoby » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:32 pm

I recently upgraded windows 7 to windows 8.1.
I uninstalled an hour later and went back to 7 as I realised Windows 8.1 was using
around 35 to 45 percent of system resources compared to 8 to 15 percent with Windows 7 and it made my computer so slow.

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8 to anyone, it sucks and from a game developers
point of view windows 7 is much more user friendly. :D

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:20 pm

oscartoby wrote:I recently upgraded windows 7 to windows 8.1.
I uninstalled an hour later and went back to 7 as I realised Windows 8.1 was using
around 35 to 45 percent of system resources compared to 8 to 15 percent with Windows 7 and it made my computer so slow.

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8 to anyone, it sucks and from a game developers
point of view windows 7 is much more user friendly. :D

Agree 120% :lol:

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Microsoft seems to be forming a trend here.

Windows XP: Great

Windows Vista: Bad

Windows 7: Great

Windows 8: Bad

I mean these are just my opinions, but if my pattern reigns true, the next windows will be great!
Google Eclectic Gaming....I dare you. Or Sharpened Steel, you can google that too. Hehehehe.

eclectic-gaming.weebly.com/

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Hmm, I've honestly not had any problem out of my Windows 8, and I've had it for over a year now. Uses just as much ram as Win 7 did.

Took a while to get used to the new interface and layout, but it's not that bad.

I don't expect Win 9 to ditch this setup.

mistergeorge
001 Admirer

Postby mistergeorge » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:17 pm

It may be a bit hard to get used to them but after a week I think you will be great. They work very smoothly for me. My PC also turns on and off a lot faster.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:00 pm

To be fair, 8 has better compatibility with a lot of older games than 7 does.

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I use Windows 8.1 on my new PC and installed StartIsBack to bring back the start button and effectively remove the Modern UI (Metro). And now I like it. It's like Windows 7 without Aero fancy, but blazing fast. Boot from power off to desktop in under 10 seconds. Amazing.

Return to General Discussion