SOPA

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
K-Pone
001 Forum Master

SOPA

Postby K-Pone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Have you heard about it? The Stop Online Piracy Act? I'm affraid 001 will get censored as well if this will take effect.
Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) Click Here Image

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: SOPA

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Hasn't it already been shot down? That's what I heard. :P

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm

It's okay, we're bigger in Brazil anyway :P.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Better start practicing on my Portuguese.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm pretty sure that if SOPA censors 001, you can't access the site from anywhere. From what I've heard, they can take down your site, no warnings, no lawsuit, no nothing, just gone.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:52 pm

That's highly illegal, meaning that they can take down a website based in another country and subject to a completely different set of laws?
It's not going to pass.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Domestic registered domains, ones that go through the US registration IIRC. .com, .org, .us.

Other websites would be classified as "foreign". So a .net domain would be classified as foreign, even if it's based in the United States. :P

I don't know if that's actually correct though, that's just my basic skimming of an overview before I went to bed yesterday. I haven't actually looked into it, so I might be wrong. :P

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Here's a quick guide on how to ignore SOPA:

Instead of http://www.engine001.com, you go to 173.199.141.101 . Just type that into your address bar. Even if SOPA passes, this will work.

The second way to do this would be to change your DNS to a server outside of the United States.

SOPA "bans" websites by requiring DNS (Domain Name Service) servers to not translate blacklisted websites. I.E, if 001 gets blocked, and you attempt to visit http://www.engine001.com, the DNS server will refuse to translate http://www.engine001.com into 173.199.141.101, and will tell you that it doesn't exist/that it's blocked. However, if you go straight to the IP address, you will never touch the DNS server, and you'll never touch the blacklist. I.E, your computer never knows that the website is blocked, and you get to visit 001 freely.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Genius!

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Deedasmi wrote:Here's a quick guide on how to ignore SOPA:

Instead of http://www.engine001.com, you go to 173.199.141.101 . Just type that into your address bar. Even if SOPA passes, this will work.

The second way to do this would be to change your DNS to a server outside of the United States.

SOPA "bans" websites by requiring DNS (Domain Name Service) servers to not translate blacklisted websites. I.E, if 001 gets blocked, and you attempt to visit http://www.engine001.com, the DNS server will refuse to translate http://www.engine001.com into 173.199.141.101, and will tell you that it doesn't exist/that it's blocked. However, if you go straight to the IP address, you will never touch the DNS server, and you'll never touch the blacklist. I.E, your computer never knows that the website is blocked, and you get to visit 001 freely.

You shouldn't be talking like that. That's like accepting that it's going to happen, and we cannot allow it to happen.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 pm

I doubt it will, but I would hate anyone here not know how to get around it if it did happen. Just spreading the word of knowledge :P

I'm a networking major, SOPA is a joke. While it's amazing how a law that would literally destroy the U.S. internet even got this far (I honestly don't think it will pass) I see it costing thousands of jobs, but it doesn't affect internet browsing for anyone but end users. You can use the same trick to get to pirating websites, etc. It will have an effect on piracy, most of the "wannabe" pirates won't know how to get to these websites... for a year or two, until the word of knowledge gets around, and piracy will be at the same rate. The only thing that will happen in the medium-long run is internet businesses will take a huge hit, thousands of websites will lose their funds, we will see another ".com fall", but in the end the law won't work. at all.
Last edited by Deedasmi on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Yeah, that IP likely won't change. We'd also post stuff on facebook and twitter appropriately if we did need to use a foreign domain eventually. I also have a few other domains registered and have ways for download sites to forward to a new location.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 pm

It's losing support rapidly. It won't pass.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 pm

The only real support SOPA is getting is from large corporations. I think the intentions of SOPA are good, they just need to improve the way they would go about doing this.

Example:

They get a report of bad use of copywrite material that is supposedly in a site. They should check the site to see if the report is true, if so they contact the owner of the web domain informing them of said material. If the person has proof that they can use this copywrite material they show it, if not they take down the download or video or whatever it is.

Although not as simple as it sounds, this process would be much more thorough and prevent many possible mistakes.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm

No government has the authority to subdue lines of communication. The intentions of SOPA don't matter, if given the power, it WILL absolutely be abused.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Of course it will be abused, the key is to give them limited power with lots of supervision from those above them to prevent as much abuses as possible.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Tabula Rasa wrote:The intentions of SOPA don't matter, if given the power, it WILL absolutely be abused.

Reminds me of NDAA.

"Just because we've been given the ability to permanently imprison people without justification, evidence, or a trial doesn't mean we're going to use it..."

Which leads me to question - if you don't have any intentions of using said power, why would you sign for it?

Shouldn't come as a surprise though. Our lawmakers have been consistently violating, bending, and exploiting the limitations of our laws and constitution to fit the needs of themselves and their donors.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Tomeh999 wrote:Of course it will be abused, the key is to give them limited power with lots of supervision from those above them to prevent as much abuses as possible.

OR we could not give them the opportunity to do so by letting them passing SOPA.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Tomeh999 wrote:They get a report of bad use of copywrite material that is supposedly in a site. They should check the site to see if the report is true, if so they contact the owner of the web domain informing them of said material. If the person has proof that they can use this copywrite material they show it, if not they take down the download or video or whatever it is.

Although not as simple as it sounds, this process would be much more thorough and prevent many possible mistakes.

Isn't that what a DMCA is suppose to do? The copyright holder contacts the webmaster, they remove the material or they get a lawsuit.
They don't get their website shut down because of it.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 pm

SOPA itself was poorly thought out, so I agree that it shouldn't be passed, I just think that there should be some sort of security for copywrite material.

@Zhuge - Haven't heard of that before :P Maybe I'll search them up and see.

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Location: I either live in eastern North Carolina, or I am a very, very lost person.

Postby tower07 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

SOPA is not going to pass.
With major networks like Google and Wikipedia protesting (Which millions of people view daily) it would have more of a chance passing if it was an April Fool's joke.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 am

I hope this isin't just me, but did it pass? I can't use Wikipedia anymore and has some federal thing..

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:13 am

No, the votes got pushed back to February, for a multitude of reasons.

You guys do know that even Obama has said that he doesn't agree with the way that this law works right?

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 am

So why is Wikipedia closed then? I heard it was on the rasio and tryed it aswell.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:39 am

Some sites were doing a blackout to protest SOPA and PIPA, wikipedia included.

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Wikipedia is not really closed down. It's just a message that appears in front of the actual main page, so the actual content is still available, but cannot be seen.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 pm

It's stupid that an American (it is American right?) Bill is affecting me. That's cheap.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:20 pm

The bill would affect the internet as a whole - not just America. :P

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Location: I either live in eastern North Carolina, or I am a very, very lost person.

Postby tower07 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Wikipedia is still protesting?
That's funny, I thought they would have opened back up the site again.
And this is off-subject, but Zhuge your avatar is full of win. :D

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Well ok.

Wikipedia is back online now.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:12 pm

There are too many internet addicts, hackers, computer people ect. in the world to take down the internet. In time they will just find their way around it.

And i saw this quote somewhere, dont remember who posted it
"Don't breathe, God created air and it's copyrighted."
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Tomeh999 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if SOPA censors 001, you can't access the site from anywhere. From what I've heard, they can take down your site, no warnings, no lawsuit, no nothing, just gone.

Why would 001 be censored....???

I gotta get in this conversation.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

001 probably wouldn't be censored, the only reason it would be censored is if somebody posted copyrighted stuff on the off topic section

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Tomeh999 wrote:001 probably wouldn't be censored, the only reason it would be censored is if somebody posted copyrighted stuff on the off topic section

Or if someone makes a fan game.
*Beat*
Like mine :shock:

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Or if somebody makes a game that they end up selling through self publishing, and then some troll reports that the game is on this site :P

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Youtube would be blocked, and because 001 links to youtube, 001 would be blocked.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:37 pm

"Wikipedia closed down for a day to protest against SOPA, which caused a ruckus for college students."

Heheh, I find this as a lame excuse for college students. Wikipedia is not a concrete or a reliable source to use for reference. Additionally, college professors advise against using Wikipedia because anyone has access to the pages and can easily edit the information. :P News Reporters really need to address their reports. Also, I think Wikipedia closing for a day might peaked everyone's interest, but anti-SOPA needs to demostrate another possible protest in order to make me believe that it was effective.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 am

IMO, Wikipedia is 95% reliable. You just have to be smart with it: if you are in a article about cats and in the intro it says: "Bill Gates invented cats after the computer." well, just realize how hard to believe that is.

Anyway, why didn't the FBI take down Megaupload ages ago? Why now?

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:13 am

To be honest, if they would take down one site and sites that have something to do with it, they will take down the whole internet. I guess if this becomes real, 2012 might become real as well.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Wonderland wrote:IMO, Wikipedia is 95% reliable. You just have to be smart with it: if you are in a article about cats and in the intro it says: "Bill Gates invented cats after the computer." well, just realize how hard to believe that is.

Anyway, why didn't the FBI take down Megaupload ages ago? Why now?

I disagree. "Just have to be smart with it" is not something one can be credited for their research or documentation. Reliable and creditable sources must be proven and supported by concrete evidences or citation. If you have read a line: "20% of alcoholics derived from drugs and abused homes", this sentence SOUNDS reasonable and logical. Plus, they're linked to other websites that might prove this fact to be true. Click on the link, and you might actually find a false webpage without any documentations revolving this fact or research. Thus, that line becomes false, and someone can sue you for a false misinterpretation on your report. Thus, several college professors urge or demands students to continue their research papers with citations from books. Wikipedia can give us a broad meaning behind definitions or words, but to use this site as your cited work, you're considered uncreditable.

Believe it or not, the FBI or other government officials can often take down Megaupload sites, but you need to think of the other reasons why they haven't. Because you shut down Megaupload, another website like Megaupload can emerge and easily replace the site. What would that have done for the FBI or other federal agents? Think about it. Myspace became overly used and corrupted, until the public eye started to switch to Facebook. They have the same purpose, but the site uses other different factors to communicate. Additionally, website laws and other rules prevent the government or FBI from taking down certain sites. Breaking law or serving law can be quite a difficult task. The court may support or claim against web sites, depending on how the judge interprets the webpage's usage. Plus, you need to think what laws actually effect online pages based on the law's location. Usually, we can refer to where the website is establish or the company's headquarters in order to charge them for criminal violations. In other words, reviewing the internet can be a daunting task. :P

K-Pone wrote:To be honest, if they would take down one site and sites that have something to do with it, they will take down the whole internet. I guess if this becomes real, 2012 might become real as well.

I also disagree on this. In order to create a cause, people must establish a connection or a purpose with other people. Wikipedia owners and others wanted to prevent SOPA. Thus, they agreed to black out their websites in order for people to understand their cause. Facebook or Engine001 didn't shut down because they're not in this pact. Other web pages need to have a reason. Remember, reviewing and judging how we use online websites takes a taunting process. Besides that, I don't think a blackout in the internet service would make 2012 authentic. I perfered to think a zombie apoclypse would create such a doom's day.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:41 pm

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:50 pm

After taking a few glances between the lines and around, I believe this is a secondary site. It pulls other information from other sites and use it to convey their own message. I have to check the other links hosted in order to see if this is creditable. So far, it looks to me that only one person is in charge and wants to be heard. :P I'll let you guys know what I think about this later. For now, I don't think it's too worthy to read or believe for myself just yet.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Maddox? He's legit. He rarely writes articles though, and his youtube show is pretty bad. :P

I wish I could cut affiliations with WMG. It's unfortunate that they own the rights to practically everything music related that's not on an independent label. :P

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Yeah Maddox is legend.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Hey, guys, you ever heard of the U.S Constitution? The Bill of Rights? The first amendment?
*ahem*
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I believe that these laws are unconstitutional. ;)
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:51 am

We don't have such a constitution here in Canada. ;)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:32 am

The ESA cut their support of it.

I think we won...

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 am

Indiana 266 wrote:We don't have such a constitution here in Canada.

You wouldn't lose these websites unless you connect to a US DNS server.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Deeds, how do you get past that screen again?

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:17 pm

SOPA didn't pass... I'm not sure why you are seeing screens. :P

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Wonderland wrote:I think we won...

Not yet.
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Megavideo.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:35 pm

The bill hasn't even been discussed yet and they're already acting on it.

The way they took down Mega was criminal. The owners live in NZ and the site was based in Europe I believe, with a single server in Virginia. Yet the US government shut them down. That's clearly a violation of international law.

Plus if the government can get away with doing this right now, why even bother with SOPA/PIPA? It just goes to show that these bills are designed to kill the free, open internet.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I feel like U.S.A just pushes a bit too far, and the government will do what it wants whether it involves other countries or not. It's unjust that they can do these kind of things and make the decision based off of what people in their country think rather than get votes from all who are involved, which woud be any country with the internet in this case.

Edit - No offense to anybody from the U.S. it's not really the people from U.S. I'm mad at, just kind of disappointed in the way the government is run.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Tomeh999 wrote:No offense to anybody from the U.S. it's not really the people from U.S. I'm mad at, just kind of disappointed in the way the government is run.

I agree. The misconception that the American people have any say in our government is a joke. Even our "elections" are a joke. Our votes don't even really count. And look at the GOP primaries, it's like a friggin episode of American Idol. Disgusting really.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:05 pm

I think the US government is trying to destroy... itself. :shock:

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

I can't w- I mean of course not. 8)
This is pretty rediculus; was it true that SOPA would've allowed them to take down websites without warning? That's pretty cheap.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:51 am

I do believe that SOPA was just to block DNS servers from giving the IP address of websites. If a website changed its name, it would be smooth sailing. I don't believe that the US has any law for the takedown of a website (against on the other hand... remember the US Constitution?)

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am

In case anyone here thinks we are now safe from this, think again. SOPA may not be going through, but the guy who wrote it drafted another bill. It's the same as SOPA but worse, because now it requires ISPs to track and store ALL internet users information, web history, everything... AND it's under the guise of "protecting children from pornography", so now if you don't agree with it, you support child pornography.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/threatening-new-bill-worse-than-sopapipa-this-bill-entitled-the-protecting-children-from-internet-pornographers-act-of-2011-is-a-bill-with-overly-broadened-language-that-greatly-threatens-all/#.Txt17fnC6Ul

Also if you're in the UK, later this year you will have to pay different premiums to access certain websites. Have fun with that.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 am

Goddarnit.
Something isn't right. Why does the US want to kill the internet, possibly the only thing that can save the economy? Waitaminute...

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 am

SBG wrote:In case anyone here thinks we are now safe from this, think again. SOPA may not be going through, but the guy who wrote it drafted another bill. It's the same as SOPA but worse, because now it requires ISPs to track and store ALL internet users information, web history, everything... AND it's under the guise of "protecting children from pornography", so now if you don't agree with it, you support child pornography.

We had something similar that tried to pass in the UK a while ago. It didn't pass. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the act, it was either abolished or more likely just buried. They basically wanted ISPs to become policemen and the ISPs turned around and told the Government to stick it up their arse as ISPs were not about to commit money and resources simply to spy on their paying customers and then report them, to the authorities, if they were caught pirating. What you're describing sounds very similar to what tried to pass in the UK and it is unlikely that such an act will pass.

SBG wrote:Also if you're in the UK, later this year you will have to pay different premiums to access certain websites. Have fun with that.

Says who?
Lee - 001 Community Manager

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 am

Can't find the link now. It was mentioned on the same forum I found the other link, but it was legit. I think it was from dailymail.co.uk.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

*ahem*

CONSTITUTION!!!

Doesn't the supreme court see anything these days?

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Filesonic wrote:All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

Where am I suppose to get all m- nevermind. :P

Well, I guess that's it for filesharing websites, eh?

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Pssh... they'll never get my DEMONOID! :twisted:

Though it really does suck about megaupload. Though I rarely used it, if I ever needed anything thing, odds are I could have found it there. But I can say the same thing about Demonoid.

Hope Mediafire doesn't follow suit. That's the most convenient upload site on the net, and it isn't really used much for piracy.

After all is said and done, Youtube still has more pirated content than any site on the net. Why don't you take down YT big brother? HMMM?!

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 pm

They paid the same amount Google did.

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 pm

hmmmmm...

Isn't it a little funny that all these bad things started happening when it turned 2012...

Maybe the Mayans were talking about the end of the internet instead! :o

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:09 pm

tower07 wrote:hmmmmm...

Isn't it a little funny that all these bad things started happening when it turned 2012...

But if the internet ended, then people would have to go outside. And if everybody was outside they would need to talk. Then through the anger of the internet shortage, people would talk about rebeling against the government. That or they would just fight. In the end their would be lots of violence, and with all that money spent on military, a nuclear war would start and the world would end, thus the end of the internet would bring the end of life.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 pm

If the internet was destroyed, the entire global economy would be destroyed. Would be a very interesting sight. :P

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Very interesting indeed, considering almost everything nowadays is related to the internet one way or another :P
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Wait! No one has to worry!
The world isn't gonna die!
Proof:

...what do you mean its just a comic?

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm

These really are the final days of the internet...

Abandoned by British justice: Student faces 10 years in U.S. jail for setting up 'illegal' website
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086310/Richard-ODwyer-extradition-Student-faces-10-years-US-jail-echo-Gary-McKinnon.html#ixzz1kWQuxK4N

Ireland to pass SOPA by the end of this month without parliamentary approval
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-01/25/sopa-ireland

Googles insane new in-your-face privacy policy
https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/

I've changed my homepage to scroogle.org because of that little move they're pulling, because screw google. I'll be deleting my youtube account before March 1st when it goes into effect, just need to get a few more comment arguments out of my system before I give it up.

EVERY DAY I see crap like this happening. It's so obvious what's happening here. No more free, open internet. Have fun while you can.

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 pm

SBG wrote:Googles insane new in-your-face privacy policy
https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/

What's wrong with their privacy policy?
I thought it was good to have someone, for a change, make their privacy policy in plain English. :o

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Everything is wrong with that. It's 1984 come true.

An organization that knows absolutely everything about you, credit card number, telephone number, facial structure, even your exact location at any given moment. They know what you're going to do before you even know your going to do it. They know who you are talking to on the phone, they know what programs you are running on your computer. And they can do anything they want with that information... they will use it for advertisers and will give it to authorities even without a warrant.

The fact that they put it in "plain english" doesn't make it OK.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 pm

did you fully read it?

I read somewhere in there that if you have a google phone, they can legally track where you are, and everything you do on it...

Invasion of privacy much...
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Gentleman, I think it is time we start our own internet. We'll call it 001ernet...?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Bah, nobody is THAT important. They track your every move to provide you with the most ideal advertisements. Do you think the CEO of Google really cares what web-sites you go to, or your personal information? I mean really. We have identify theft, but there's means of dealing with those situations. Nothing is new here, and it's nothing to be afraid of. Nobody is important enough, especially when it comes to businesses.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Mike wrote:Bah, nobody is THAT important. They track your every move to provide you with the most ideal advertisements. Do you think the CEO of Google really cares what web-sites you go to, or your personal information? I mean really. We have identify theft, but there's means of dealing with those situations. Nothing is new here, and it's nothing to be afraid of. Nobody is important enough, especially when it comes to businesses.

Does that mean we won't be making our own internet? :(

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Mike wrote:Bah, nobody is THAT important. They track your every move to provide you with the most ideal advertisements. Do you think the CEO of Google really cares what web-sites you go to, or your personal information? I mean really. We have identify theft, but there's means of dealing with those situations. Nothing is new here, and it's nothing to be afraid of. Nobody is important enough, especially when it comes to businesses.

It's the principal of the matter.

As for creating our own internet, there's always freenet, or the dreaded Darknet, but that's venturing into dangerous waters.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:08 pm

SBG wrote:It's the principal of the matter.

Yes, the principal of making money from free services. *cough* 001 *cough*

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm

*Looks at yellow name* :)

*Remembers it was free because of Mr. Numbers* :|

*Realizes I will continue to support 001 even after the free shit runs out* :D

*Realizes again that subscriptions won't actually keep 001 alive like advertising does* :|

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Well, if 001 ever gets banned because of the dumb end of the internet thing I will create my own internet that will use underground satellites :P and then I will find Mike and together we will go out on a quest to make sure that everybody that is cool (Which includes everybody on this forum and their real life friends) gets access to it, and then the government can do nothing to us!

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Have fun with that.
I could get used to no internet, but it's not going to happen because of SOPA.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Whether it's from SOPA or not I don't care, I just think that would be an awesome mission!

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 pm

We are announcing the end of the Public Preview of the "Internet". Now all access will be shut down and only universities, big companies and NATO installations are going to be allowed to use it. Thank you for contributing for a better world-wide network.

-Bill Clinton

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 am

I learn guitar and music through the internet. I develop my game with my fellow development team through the internet. I publish all my work and doings through the internet and i keep contact with the outside world and practice english through the internet. A too big of a part depends on it, i'll be very upset if they just take it down :(

Seriously, i've never met another person for real that does pixel art :(
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 am

SOPA, PIPA, ACTA - 3 Names of the Devil :(
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 am

Why does everyone think that the Internet is coming to an end? Even if this U.S legislation were to pass it wouldn't be the end of the Internet :P.

It is very likely that, if this legislation were to pass, it wouldn't last long because I bet there would be all kinds of protests, strikes and other crap in the U.S that would force your government to abolish it. Governments don't run countries, people do. If there were enough protests/strikes/etc. in the U.S it would bring the country to a halt and it would force your Government to take action, in fear that they'd be overthrown by a mob of angry people...And really if your Government were to pass this legislation, when so many people oppose it, then they are stupid. Something like this tried to pass in the UK and it failed because they didn't get the co-operation from the public or the businesses.

I highly doubt this is the end to the open Internet, especially when so many people are against this legislation (and other legislations that threaten the open Internet).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Not to mention, imagine how much is made off of the internet every day? Its like the base for marketing and such :P

It would hurt more than it would help xD

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 pm

tower07 wrote:hmmmmm...

You're totally right. Every day since the beginning of the year 2012 at least one thing bad happened. But not only in the internet.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Yeah don't forget the crazy sounds people have been hearing in the sky all around the world pretty much every day.

There's thousands of youtube video about it uploaded withing the past week and a half. Some are hoaxes but most are real.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I know that September is going to have one good day for sure.

And this is a topic about SOPA. ;)

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

SBG wrote:Yeah don't forget the crazy sounds people have been hearing in the sky all around the world pretty much every day.

There's thousands of youtube video about it uploaded withing the past week and a half. Some are hoaxes but most are real.

You mean those pulsating explosion-like sounds (called like 'Sounds of Apocalypse')?

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Oh god, I've been hearing that. Is it a conspiracy? Or is the U.S government being stoopid again?

Anyway, SOPA... Sucks.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:37 pm

First SOPA, then PIPA, and now ACTA, the US really wants to bring the end of the internet...

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Lobbyists. Americans love the internet.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:43 am

Canada signed up with ACTA too. :(

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:30 am

That's because for some dumb reason the Canadian government feels like it should bow down to the US government.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:49 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/01/24/is-this-the-real-reason-why-megaupload-was-shut-down/

The real reason mega was destroyed. Damn entertainment industry can't handle the fact that the times are changing and they are obsolete.

They may have won the battle, but ultimately they will not win the war. The fat cat billionaires that make 99% of the profits off of artists work will spend all of their money fighting the times, then when all their money runs out the artists will still be here, releasing their own content through the internet, making their own profits.

Also I hope Hollywood bites the dust. There hasn't been a decent hollywood movie released for as long as I can remember, and they are certainly not worth destroying the internet over.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 am

I agree.
Maybe the government is trying to distract everyone so that they don't notice their real goal! :shock:

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

We may just be saved yet.

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm

tower07 wrote:We may just be saved yet.

:lol:

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 am

tower07 wrote:We may not just be saved yet.

Fixed.

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm

We need more Power Rangers!

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

K-Pone wrote:We need more Power Rangers!

This enough?

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 pm

MORE

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm

*pant* This... *pant* enough...? *pant*

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Nope

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Back on topic please. ;)

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby tower07 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Zhuge wrote:Back on topic please. ;)

Sorry, we got carried away. :lol:

Return to General Discussion