Death Note

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Mike
001 Co-Founder

Death Note

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 pm

This anime has been referenced by quite a few people so far in random topics, but no such topic solely devoted to the show has been made.

I'm about 3/4 way through the series right now. I personally HATE all anime, but this, finally a series without epic battle sequences (unless you count the tennis match and the wrestling in the appartment as battles), and without robots. It's quite a relief from the generic anime series.

For those who don't know what it is, it's about this high-school guy going into college who finds a book, and whomever's name he writes in it dies shortly after, unless within 30 seconds it is written how they will die and when. It gets quite interesting with all the monologues, distinguishing between good and evil, and very powerful character development. I'd recommend it to anyone who does NOT like anime so much, as this is definitely a series that might make you think otherwise.

PS: If anyone knows of a series similar to it, that is, without the battles and without the usual crap, and more on the interesting drama and the suspense, please let me know.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Re: Death Note

Postby Ixayou » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:57 pm

i found the ending very sad. I wont spoil anything, but i was kind of dissapointed
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Ooh, sounds good. I'll have to look around for the series.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 pm

I watched a couple,but it's not really my style.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Case closed all the way. :P

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:16 am

I also don't like anime in general, I've only read a single anime in a harem/romance genre. I got so hooked to it I didn't do anything but read until the end, 150 chapters in a few days. Quite unlike me.

I really miss it though, so I might read this once I get time, how long is it?
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:44 am

Scaveleon wrote:I also don't like anime in general, I've only read a single anime in a harem/romance genre. I got so hooked to it I didn't do anything but read until the end, 150 chapters in a few days. Quite unlike me.

I really miss it though, so I might read this once I get time, how long is it?

This is an anime. You must be thinking about manga. Manga is the same except you read it. Anime you watch. I dont remember the number of episodes, but it wasnt too long like the very big ones if i remember right
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 am

Mike wrote: I personally HATE all anime

:?
I love it when I see this. "I hate all anime but I really like this one for some reason."

Yea thats because all anime's CAN break the stereotypes. 85% of anime is crap, thats why I avoid it.
Mike, have you seen Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Miyazake's films, Akira or Ghost in The Shell? What shows have you seen? Because I used to despise anime until I realized, "Hey theres allot of good stuff out here!"

It's like saying you saw The Spy Next Door and Piranha 3D and now you think the movie industry sucks. Anime is an artistic medium, and if it's stereotypical, then it's trash.
DOOF

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Ooops... I'm not interested then, assuming anime is more time consuming than a manga of the same story.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Scaveleon wrote:Ooops... I'm not interested then, assuming anime is more time consuming than a manga of the same story.

Actually, no, generally anime is 26 episodes per season. Most shows only run one season. Big popular crap like Naruto and Bleach have endless episodes because of the huge fanbase. I don't like running shows, only ones with a conclusion, because thats generally the best part.
Death Note is 2 mini seasons, so 32 episodes I believe. 26 minutes each. It's just like any regular TV show except it's a cartoon. :|

Also, Mike...

You hate anime because it's all about big robots and epic battles. WRONG. Thats not why I, and I hope most people, watch the stuff. We watch it because of how well their written. The characters are usually far from 2 dimensional, the story is usually well thought out, the plot usually keeps you going. Not the battles. Not the women with heaving breasts. Not the big robots. (I've only seen one anime with mechs, and it was far from cliche. Especially considering how the show was entirely psychological.) Not the special moves each character has developed. And not the action scenes. Assuming that this is what anime is all about is very very wrong. I HATE anything that focuses on action. Action is just an added element to keep the viewer interested. Trust me Mike, give real anime a chance.

After Death Note go watch Mushi-shi. I haven't seen much of it, but it's a beautiful show so far, and the english is good. Also, Baccano! if you like 20s mobsters. It's only 16 episodes.
DOOF

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:17 am

Death Note is the only anime show I've seen that I could watch all the way through. And I have the same reasons, pretty much most anime is the same concept and it doesn't interest me.

One of the best movies I've ever seen however is an older anime movie called Princess Mononoke. It *does* have epic battle scenes but not in the same stereotypical way, and the setting and plot and superior acting is what makes it really stand out. It's quite an amazing movie and I'd definitely check it out even if you don't like anime at all. I know I don't.

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:21 am

death note is good, not my favorite anime though andi haven't actually seen much of the anime but i do have lots of the manga and i have seen the live action film oh and mike i think this is a list of a few anime's you should aviod: bleach, dragon ball Z, pokemen :razz: , mabey naruto oh and there are plenty of others but i can't think oh em' now

Wolfmaster
001 Admirer

Postby Wolfmaster » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Mike wrote:I personally HATE all anime

Die. How dare you hate anime.
PLEASE do not call me Leon, Leon Oar, LeonOar, Oar, ETC.. Just call me ISAAC. Do not call me anything other than ISAAC. Or else you will die.
Screw probation.
http://www.newtomorrowmetal.webs.com - New Tomorrow Official Site
http://www.youtube.com/user/newtomorrowmetal - New Tomorrow Official YouTube Channel
http://www.magicpotatogames.net - Magicpotatogames Official Site

My band's first EP in progress!
92% of teenagers have turned to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Leon Oar wrote:
Mike wrote:I personally HATE all anime

Die. How dare you hate anime.

Bad idea. :|
DOOF

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Zhuge wrote:Case closed all the way. :P

Meaning?

Ovoon wrote:Cowboy Bebop

Soon, I've been given it to try.

Ovoon wrote:Evangelion

Hated.

Ovoon wrote:Miyazake's films, Akira or Ghost in The Shell

No.

Ovoon wrote:It's like saying you saw The Spy Next Door and Piranha 3D and now you think the movie industry sucks.

Seen more than two. You know, personally, that I'm quite open to quite a lot. I've tried quite a lot of anime series to have a judgment call. It's the only series so far that I've appreciated, ergo, I hate all anime except for this one. It's not to say that anime sucks - because that would be a different comment altogether.

Scaveleon wrote:Ooops... I'm not interested then, assuming anime is more time consuming than a manga of the same story.

Scav, watch an episode. I mean, really, watch it while doing homework or work of some kind. That is, if you generally watch TV at all. If not, doesn't really make sense to bother NOT watching this if you don't watch much of anything to begin with ;).

Ovoon wrote:You hate anime because it's all about big robots and epic battles. WRONG.

No no, I hate the animes that involve that. It's a pretty big stereotype that generally follows it. Not saying it's all like that. And here I am saying a series I really like. You don't have to convert me to have an appreciation for anime - you have to appreciate the fact that I have very little time on my hands, and for me to actually be in an anime series is a big deal.

Ovoon wrote:Trust me Mike, give real anime a chance.

Every show I'm suggested from multiple sources, I have. I am not blind to trying new things - consider the fact I managed to watch this entire series. I don't hold a prejudice towards it.

SBG wrote:Death Note is the only anime show I've seen that I could watch all the way through. And I have the same reasons, pretty much most anime is the same concept and it doesn't interest me.

Yep, exactly.

SBG wrote:One of the best movies I've ever seen however is an older anime movie called Princess Mononoke. It *does* have epic battle scenes but not in the same stereotypical way, and the setting and plot and superior acting is what makes it really stand out. It's quite an amazing movie and I'd definitely check it out even if you don't like anime at all. I know I don't.

Yeah, I'm trying that soon, it's short too (since it's just a movie).

patatoface wrote:death note is good, not my favorite anime though andi haven't actually seen much of the anime but i do have lots of the manga and i have seen the live action film

I wouldn't judge the anime based on the live action ;).

patatoface wrote:i think this is a list of a few anime's you should aviod: bleach, dragon ball Z, pokemen :razz: , mabey naruto oh and there are plenty of others but i can't think oh em' now

I've seen a few episodes from each - I agree.

Leon Oar wrote:Die. How dare you hate anime.

Warned. Don't be rude.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Mike wrote:

Scav, watch an episode. I mean, really, watch it while doing homework or work of some kind. That is, if you generally watch TV at all. If not, doesn't really make sense to bother NOT watching this if you don't watch much of anything to begin with ;).

It's true I barely watch any television, because watching TV generally doesn't give me any sense of satisfaction. Projects(music and games) and challenges in general do.

Since I don't have anything to do this weekend, I'll read the manga if it can be found in English, or else I'll watch an episode.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Hmm. I saw it on Adult Swim one Saturday night, and wasn't very interested. I'm not really into dark stuff in my animes(with some exceptions).

Some I'd suggest:

Baccano! - Best watched in Eng Dub(they do the accents awesomely). Prohibition Era style, with a tiny bit of fantasy. Overall one of my favorite Animes. You may need to watch 2-3 episodes to find out if you like it or not.

Black Lagoon - More action packed, nothing over the top. Has a great, more serious story.

Welcome to the NHK - Probably my favorite anime. It's a dark comedy about a guy who has social withdraw and is paranoid of everything. It starts out great, and has a great super serious ending. It gets a little slower during the middle, but it's definitely worth it to watch all the way through. Was one of the firs animes I watched, and it convinced me to give more animes a shot.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Mike wrote:Meaning?

He means the anime mystery show Case Closed. It's got great writing, but an awful dub. It's one of those shows I really like for some odd reason. Oh, and it's like 500 episodes and running.

Mike wrote:Soon, I've been given it to try.

Oh... phew. Watch it now! For that one, it's best to cram it all quickly. You wont realize how awesome it is until it's over.

Mike wrote: Hated.

Fair enough. That was a bad example, because that show is only for people who like the psychological writing.

Mike wrote:No.

?! Wow! Gogogo! Go watch Spirited Away to start. Just about anything by Studio Ghibli

Mike wrote:
Seen more than two. You know, personally, that I'm quite open to quite a lot. I've tried quite a lot of anime series to have a judgment call. It's the only series so far that I've appreciated, ergo, I hate all anime except for this one. It's not to say that anime sucks - because that would be a different comment altogether.

OH.

Mike wrote: No no, I hate the animes that involve that. It's a pretty big stereotype that generally follows it. Not saying it's all like that. And here I am saying a series I really like. You don't have to convert me to have an appreciation for anime - you have to appreciate the fact that I have very little time on my hands, and for me to actually be in an anime series is a big deal.

Oh I see. The funny thing is that I completely agree with you, just I never thought of it this way.

Mike wrote: Every show I'm suggested from multiple sources, I have. I am not blind to trying new things - consider the fact I managed to watch this entire series. I don't hold a prejudice towards it.

Good! :D

Mike wrote:
I've seen a few episodes from each - I agree.

Yea, those shows are awful.

Heres great anime that you can watch in a short time period:

Baccano! - only 16 episodes, one of my favorites. I think you would like it if your into 20s mobsters.
Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Steamboy (Highly recommend this one), Grave of The Fireflies

Wait... Mike, why did you make a new thread when theres an official anime discussion thread? :|
DOOF

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Anime is quite a big thing - it'd be silly to put it all anime into one thread. It's why we have a thread for every movie ;).

JilutheFang
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby JilutheFang » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:28 pm

I love psychological storys too, but never found anything compareable with Death Note. I must admit, that I stoped watching it since Misa came on the screen, maybe I should keep on watching...

Elfenlied may has some psycho factor, but no deeper meaning than "bad childhood makes bad mutant even more bad"
Also it has fighting scenes.But thanks god without screaming super attack names and flashy effects.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Why should fire be the enemie of the sun? Hello? Sun = ultimate fire? :?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Misa does get less annoying quickly as episodes go on. Gets back on track not too far along.

Blood Raven
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Blood Raven » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Best anime evar.

In my honest opinion. Well, I honestly like all of the Gundam series on equal level with Death Note.

I love me some Gundam :D
...I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was

SOCAS

MadamBlack
001 Supporter

Postby MadamBlack » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Death note = win.

I really admire death note, mostly because of it's plotline. It has such a rich storyline and you can see how it changes throughout the story. Most of all, it's a physiological type of anime, and I love physiological stories/tv shows/movies/anime/etc.

Not only that, I absolutely love the artwork in the manga, Takeshi Obata's art style is a beautiful and realistic sort of unique style I hardly see in anime.

As for those who are unsure of whether or not to watch anime, don't try to go along with stereotypes. Anime has so many ranges of styles, genre's, audience groups, and particularity any other fashion that your regular tv shows and cartoons have, Anime is just Japanese.

In conclusion, Death note = win. XD
ಠ_ಠ

Tehufn
001 Fanatic

Postby Tehufn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Ixayou wrote:i found the ending very sad. I wont spoil anything, but i was kind of dissapointed

okay anyone dissatisfied with the ending, read the manga. the TV series is only one eighth of the full story ;)
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Current games
Maze game - Working on it.

games don't have to be challenging to be fun. If it has a breathtaking storyline, good characters, and hard puzzles, you're good to go. In the game, it shouldn't be too hard to defeat enemies If you're a god.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Seriously?

I tried reading the manga, got really bored - it's not nearly as enjoyable. I wish it were, I hated not having anymore Death Note :(.

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 am

did you read the manga from right to left? because that will make it boring and confuzing ;)

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Watching it right now. :D

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:10 am

I can't find the first few volumes anywhere :(

All the shops I look in only have Volume 5 upwards.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:32 am

I had to get it delivered specially from Canada.
I liked the start but towards the end it didn't appeal to me as much. Guess it was just how Light wasn't working alone anymore.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 am

Gah don't spoil anything ;) I've only read the first 2 parts of the manga.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Spoiler alert...

Stephen Chapman wrote:I had to get it delivered specially from Canada.
I liked the start but towards the end it didn't appeal to me as much. Guess it was just how Light wasn't working alone anymore.

I didn't like the second season much either, but I definitely enjoyed how he was manipulating people even though he was working with them. I'd say the reason I didn't like it much was that it seemed like he was less in danger because N wasn't as quick as L.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Correct.

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 am

The unfortunate issue with this is that most anime with well formed plotlines and stuff never make it to the west due to the idea it doesn't fit the western businessman's idea of a "cartoon" that would entertain children. Some companies go as far as unnecessary censorship for apparently no reason. I am about to make a horrid example but Pokemon once had an Onigiri and they decided to dub it as a "Jelly-Filled Doughnut."

But there is lots of different anime out there that are amazing, I have even seen a few that satire the whole anime stereotype which I find hilarious. Unfortunately if you want to find something not mainstream and not dubbed with horridly unfitting voices you will have to get used to subs (and as a side effect you may pick up parts of the language and syntax from exposure).

When I have a friend that gets curious about anime I try to find something that may specifically appeal to them and wouldn't shock them out of complete weirdness. "Desert Punk" is an example of one that I use to break people into it. Its dubbed version is better than its subbed because lots of humor is lost in translation and I have found it to be somewhere between an anime feel and a western cartoon feel.

Return to General Discussion