001 on Steam?

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member
 
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:32 am
Location: Latvia

001 on Steam?

Postby haraldx » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:29 am

So, yeah, Steam, the famous thing from Valve software, recently started support for, not only videogames, but also software, like game engines! GameMaker is already out there, why not 001?

User avatar
Adam
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:26 am
Location: In your house

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Adam » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah, I don't see a reason why not either. It will attract a lot of people.
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

User avatar
Deedasmi
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: At my computer (like always)

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:44 pm

It crossed my mind, but when you think about it, advertising is the only benefit. There are no sales to benefit from, but there is another platform that has to be supported, and Steam has rules that require things to interact with Steam in certain ways.

User avatar
Mike
001 Co-Founder
 
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 pm

It's more of an issue of getting approved. It definitely was on my mind for a while. It's not complicating to make games / apps Steam compatible from my experience with it at my day jobs.

User avatar
Deedasmi
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: At my computer (like always)

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 pm

I just remembered Notch talking about how Valve had some Patching rule that Mojang didn't want to abide by, as one of the major reasons they never fought to be on Steam.

User avatar
Adam
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:26 am
Location: In your house

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Adam » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 am

Greenlight, maybe?
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

User avatar
Lee
001 Support
 
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Lee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:47 am

Adam wrote:Greenlight, maybe?


With their £70 ($100) sign up fee? Not really worth paying that just to get listed because you still need to be approved by user votes before it goes on Steam.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

User avatar
Mike
001 Co-Founder
 
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:02 am

Thought Greenlight was more for games than anything?

User avatar
Wonderland
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Location: Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Wonderland » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 am

I think, yeah. But... have you even tried emailing them about it?

Camsandwich
001 Supporter
 
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Camsandwich » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 am

Deedasmi wrote:It crossed my mind, but when you think about it, advertising is the only benefit. There are no sales to benefit from, but there is another platform that has to be supported, and Steam has rules that require things to interact with Steam in certain ways.


Game making has sparked the interest of many young people. I mean most of my friends either know programming, have talked about making games, or even do it. One thing they all have in common: they have Steam.

Engine001 Games probably aren't quite the thing they are picturing, but it's a great place to start.
"Apparently, nobody is in the lead in some sport that's going on right now, and that's exciting somehow." -Markus 'Notch' Persson

Genie: For rubbing the lamp, you get 3 wishes.
Me: I wish for more wishes.
Genie: Genie's can't do that. We can only give 3 wishes.
Me: I wish for more genies.
Genie: Damn it.

User avatar
Wonderland
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Location: Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Wonderland » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 am

Construct 2 got onto Steam using Greenlight I believe.

User avatar
Mike
001 Co-Founder
 
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:48 am

Yeah, I don't see an issue with certain (certain!) games on 001 making it on there. Have you not seen what's on there right now :P!?

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby SBG » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:19 pm

I haven't. Are you implying there is an 001 game on there now?

Man I am so ready to make a commercial game. I hope Azurean messages me back soon so we can make his game. He sent me some concept art and a quick outline of his game idea, it's pretty epic and I can't wait to get started on it. I have a feeling it would be one of those (certain!) games you wouldn't have an issue making it to steam.

User avatar
Mike
001 Co-Founder
 
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 am

I'm implying that Greenlight has some games that are fairly unpleasant, and even Steam has some that are questionable in quality and fun factor. I'm not saying that there's currently games in 001 that are better than them, but I'd at least say that there's a chance there are :).

User avatar
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: A place between mind and matter.

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 am

Feels like a legitimate bump, so I'll go for it.

There's also an entire section for Software on Greenlight. I think 001 Game Creator could fit a spot in there. It would certainly expand the community a lot.
Image

User avatar
Wonderland
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Location: Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Wonderland » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:24 am

RPG Maker is now on there (dare I say it).

User avatar
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: A place between mind and matter.

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 am

*gag*

See? Even the most over-hyped piece of game maker software of all time is on there.
Image

User avatar
Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member
 
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Zhuge » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Semi-related:

>Seeing RPG Maker games on XBLIG.

:P

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby SBG » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Really? I can understand RPG Maker -the software- being on Steam, but the games on XBL? Or anywhere? For money?

That's insulting to indie game developers everywhere.

RPG Maker is essentially a SNES Final Fantasy editor in my opinion. I wouldn't even call it a game creator, more like a game editor. But I'm not here to insult other 'engines'. Still doesn't make any sense to me though, I'd put RPG Maker on the same level as Spore Creature Creator. I don't see those Spore things being sold for real moneys.

User avatar
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: A place between mind and matter.

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:32 pm

What' even more up[setting is the fact that they're selling it for $70 and it's still the number one piece of software on Steam. :(

But anyways, I think it would do this community a lot of good to at least try to push 001 through Steam Greenlight, not just a few finished games.
Image

User avatar
Lee
001 Support
 
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Lee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:02 pm

SBG wrote:Really? I can understand RPG Maker -the software- being on Steam, but the games on XBL? Or anywhere? For money?

That's insulting to indie game developers everywhere.


I take it you've not played 'The Witch's House' - it's not a commercial game but it could easily be one and it was created with RPG Maker VX. It's a fantastic indie game if you're into horror games, just throwing it out there. I don't see why some people feel the need to judge indie games and indie game developers because of what engine they used :P. A good game is a good game, regardless of what was used to make it.

Tabula Rasa wrote:But anyways, I think it would do this community a lot of good to at least try to push 001 through Steam Greenlight, not just a few finished games.


I think it's a little too early for 001 to be appearing on Steam, in my opinion. It might pay to wait a little bit until some of the basic functionality (like ramps) are implemented before sticking 001 on Steam. Plus, don't forget the $100 fee for all Steam Greenlight submissions - I think money like that would be better spent on the engine ;).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby SBG » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm

I checked Witch's House out on Youtube. I don't see what sets it apart from other RPGM games, except someone spent a little extra time on the setting and story, doesn't change my opinion.

Also To The Moon, just another RPGM game to me. They're all way too similar for me to take seriously.

But enough ranting about it. I shouldn't be doing that anyway.

User avatar
Mike
001 Co-Founder
 
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am

Lee wrote:It might pay to wait a little bit until some of the basic functionality (like ramps) are implemented before sticking 001 on Steam.

I agree with this. It won't be long until I'm happy - there's only ramps and a bit more force events, that will probably be enough to sate me... Oh, and maybe finally getting 3D to be public after a few more tweaks. But that can always wait too, as usual ;).

User avatar
Ovoon
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm
Location: I'm at the place

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Ovoon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:27 pm

SBG wrote:I checked Witch's House out on Youtube. I don't see what sets it apart from other RPGM games, except someone spent a little extra time on the setting and story, doesn't change my opinion.

Also To The Moon, just another RPGM game to me. They're all way too similar for me to take seriously.

But enough ranting about it. I shouldn't be doing that anyway.



Did you actually play To The Moon? It's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Beat it and then tell me that.

I think if 001 itself were to be on Steam, that would be the best thing for it. I don't see it happening for a while though.
DOOF

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby SBG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Ovoon wrote:
SBG wrote:I checked Witch's House out on Youtube. I don't see what sets it apart from other RPGM games, except someone spent a little extra time on the setting and story, doesn't change my opinion.

Also To The Moon, just another RPGM game to me. They're all way too similar for me to take seriously.

But enough ranting about it. I shouldn't be doing that anyway.



Did you actually play To The Moon? It's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Beat it and then tell me that.

I think if 001 itself were to be on Steam, that would be the best thing for it. I don't see it happening for a while though.

Ok, I admit I haven't even checked it out since before it was even released. It actually does look pretty good, looking at it now. I still haven't seen anything else from RPG Maker that looks unique though. But I guess it is possible.

User avatar
Ovoon
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm
Location: I'm at the place

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Ovoon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm

SBG wrote:
Ovoon wrote:
SBG wrote:I checked Witch's House out on Youtube. I don't see what sets it apart from other RPGM games, except someone spent a little extra time on the setting and story, doesn't change my opinion.

Also To The Moon, just another RPGM game to me. They're all way too similar for me to take seriously.

But enough ranting about it. I shouldn't be doing that anyway.



Did you actually play To The Moon? It's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Beat it and then tell me that.

I think if 001 itself were to be on Steam, that would be the best thing for it. I don't see it happening for a while though.

Ok, I admit I haven't even checked it out since before it was even released. It actually does look pretty good, looking at it now. I still haven't seen anything else from RPG Maker that looks unique though. But I guess it is possible.


I was told that Too The Moon wasn't even an RPG Maker game. RPG Maker did not invent JRPG SNES art. lol
DOOF

User avatar
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: A place between mind and matter.

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby Tabula Rasa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Ovoon wrote:I was told that Too The Moon wasn't even an RPG Maker game. RPG Maker did not invent JRPG SNES art. lol


LIES.
Lol.
Image

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: 001 on Steam?

Postby SBG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Ovoon wrote:I was told that Too The Moon wasn't even an RPG Maker game. RPG Maker did not invent JRPG SNES art. lol

It was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Moon_(video_game)


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users