Diggy the Huskey (Project "Unearthed")

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
CHAOKOCartoons

Diggy the Huskey (Project "Unearthed")

Postby CHAOKOCartoons » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:22 am

Hello! This topic is for an Action-Platformer I am currently developing called "Diggy the Huskey" (the misspell of Husky is intentional). It is a remake of a game I originally made on the sploder engine in 2013. The original did not have all the features I wanted the game to originally have, and was very... well, NOT good. But with the power of the 001 Game Creator, I've finally been able to begin making the game as it was originally intended to be. :)

In this game you play as a small dog named Diggy Huskey, who discovers that the construction company he is working for called "Con's Truction" is planning to turn the entire world into one large industrialized city. Diggy puts it upon himself to travel across the world to prevent his boss, Con Lezard, from achieving his plans of wide spread industrialization. Along the way, Diggy encounters many obstacles and enemies that he must overcome, but does not go into this journey defenseless or un-prepared.
There are a multitude of upgrades, collectables, and abilities Diggy can find from various levels and bosses that can be used to fight enemies, clear paths, avoid hazards, ect. Diggy can also consume a series of fruits and vegetables that increase the amount of lives that he has. If Diggy should ever fall in combat, there are checkpoints spread out in each level so you don't have to start from the beginning of the level.
Now you're probably wondering why he's called "Diggy" by now huh? Well, Diggy has the ability to break/dig through certain tiles. Some tiles can only be broken by attacking them, and others can only be broken by pressing he dig button on top of them. Many obstacles and secrets are based around this feature.

Here is some gameplay footage and screenshots of what has been made so far:
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/8bRMfoUmoIE[/YouTube]
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/33b1F7c_kdc[/YouTube]
(as you can see, things often change and may not be the same in the final product)

Here's a list of some of the technical features the game currently has:
-Controller Support
-Parallax Scrolling Backgrounds
-Moving Platforms (though they don't carry you as well as they should)
-A checkpoint system
-A live/ coin-esque system
-Breakable objects and environments
-Multiple attacks and abilities, similar to that of Shovel Knight and Mega Man
-A recharging special meter (used to determine how long you must wait to use a move)
-Cheat Codes
-Multiple types of collectables including:
-Health Upgrades
-Stamina Upgrades
-Golden Tarot Cards (the main collectable in the game, used to unlock something secret)
-Lucky Coins (purpose still in concept)
-Sound effects (some have not been finished)
-A unique song for each level (eventually being a full free OST)

Some Planned Features Include:
-A world map, containing the zones of the game
-Zone maps, containing the levels of the game
-More than 1 playable character
-Special Costumes for Diggy

The game will take a while to develop, as it is only me and a friend of mine working on the game (my friend is only helping out with some of the sprites, I'm doing everything else. If there is anyone that would like to aid in the game's development feel free to speak up! Everything will get done eventually, but with more people the game's production will come along much faster. :D

I'll be updating any new information regarding the games development here, but I'm not sure if I should post all of the concept here. (unless of course you'd be interested in seeing it)
I hope my creations can bring you positive emotions of some sort! :D

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Re: Diggy the Huskey (Project "Unearthed")

Postby Scaveleon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:09 am

It's refreshing to see something so fantastic and original with the engine for once. It has a clear art style, though the second picture has a lot of contrast. The clouds in the last pictures also seems a bit off, but it could just be a placeholder for all I know.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Custom artwork? The game from the shots look amazing! This is something i certainly would play. Keep this topic updated :D

CHAOKOCartoons

Postby CHAOKOCartoons » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Scaveleon wrote:It's refreshing to see something so fantastic and original with the engine for once. It has a clear art style, though the second picture has a lot of contrast. The clouds in the last pictures also seems a bit off, but it could just be a placeholder for all I know.

Danny wrote:Custom artwork? The game from the shots look amazing! This is something i certainly would play. Keep this topic updated :D

Thank you very much! :D
Yeah, the clouds are just a placeholder. I've been mainly focusing on what I've needed to showcase at the moment, so some of the parallax stuff is just made to get the idea down. I intend to keep everything within the same style, so eventually I will make the clouds pixel art as well :)

Having a bit of a pickle with the ladder system. The good news is: the ladder controls are much less slide-y and Diggy stops moving up or down when you let go of up or down. The BAD news is that now the controller doesn't register the controls for climbing ladders anymore. Unless I can find a way to fix this, I may have to get rid of the controller support. :?

NEW UPDATE! - Sorry for taking so long, I forget to update this game in some places. But there is some new development!
The first boss was finished a few days/weeks ago, the gameplay video can be found here: [YouTube]https://youtu.be/pjn33UUdWog[/YouTube]
For those who cannot/do not wish to view the video, here are some screen shots:
The boss, Jack Rabbet, moves left and right at different intervals, tossing hammers down at different speeds depending on how much damage has been done. He also drops Elite Bammer Hammers (the yellow jack hammers) over time, starting at one every few seconds after one hit, and two every few seconds after 2 hits. Only 2 can exist at the same time, and when Jack is defeated both stop spawning and explode if they are still alive. To damage him, you have to hit the Large Red Hammer he drops. When you hit it, it will fly upward at an angle and drop back down (if you don't hit him). You are supposed to get a power-up after defeating him, but said power-up has not been programmed or sprited.
Here is Jack Rabbet's concept art:

On a side note, I've fixed the ladder issue from before and all the controls work fine now. HOWEVER, there is a bug where if I attack right before or while on a ladder, Diggy phases through the world and can only run along the bottom of the screen. In some maps, he hits the bottom and after a while disappears. The map and the rest of the actors stop moving, but Diggy can still run and be hurt by spikes. I'll make a post about it in a separate topic, but if anyone can explain how to fix it here that would be helpful.

Anyway, that's all for this update. I'm working on the Story-based tutorial right now, so I don't think there'll be many posts for a while to avoid spoilers (unless I come with something else new).
Last edited by CHAOKOCartoons on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
I hope my creations can bring you positive emotions of some sort! :D

Return to Games In Progress