How to set minimum range for projectiles?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
ddabrahim

How to set minimum range for projectiles?

Postby ddabrahim » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi.

I'm new to 001 and now I'm experimenting with the items, more specifically with the weapons shoot projectiles.
My problem is, the projectiles in many times destroyed too early, only few pixels away from the hero character and I don't want that. I want each and every projectile to be destroyed only when hit something or go out of maximum range.

I was looking through the setting for the item but I can't see any way to control this.
Anyone could help me with this please?

Thanks.
Create 2D sprites from 3D models: http://3d2sprite.blogspot.com

Gamerdude
001 Support

Re: How to set minimum range for projectiles?

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:48 am

In the Projectile/Melee tab in the Item editor, there's a field that says Maximum Range (px). Set that to something higher (32 pixels is one tile in 001).

ddabrahim

Postby ddabrahim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks, but I have forget to mention it I have already set the Maximum range to 400 but the projectiles many times still destroyed only 32-64 pixels away from the player.
I'm shooting 3 projectiles the same time but 1 of them very often destroyed too early and only 2 remain but I want all the 3 to remain and destroyed only if hit something or go out of maximum range.

Maybe it might do something with accuracy, if I set the accuracy lower it might causing this to make the shot less accurate, but if I set the accuracy to maximum it causing all the projectiles are created at the same position and moving toward the same position so it looks like 1 projectile even though it 3. I want it looks like a shotgun so I need to set the accuracy lower but I also need all 3 projectile to remain...
Last edited by ddabrahim on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
Create 2D sprites from 3D models: http://3d2sprite.blogspot.com

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:53 am

Yeah, that's most likely the issue. It'll be colliding with the ground so it looks like it's hitting a maximum range.

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:02 am

Wait, does that mean that accuracy also alters the Z axis in which projectiles are being fired?

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 am

From what I just tested, yeah, bullets drop down into the ground when accuracy isn't perfect.

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:28 am

Darn, it's kind of annoying in my case too. Would be great if there was a checkbox to set whether accuracy will take the Z layer into consideration too or not when firing a weapon.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:11 am

Yeah that seems like a reasonable request. As a side note, should that just be default or no?

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 am

I'd say defaulting to affecting just the X and Y layers.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Hmm. Nevermind, side view games would probably prefer Z change. I'll make it an actual option.

EDIT: Added :)

Last bumped by Mike on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:27 pm.

Return to Technical Support Questions