Arthurian Legends

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Kilatorian
001 Support

Arthurian Legends

Postby Kilatorian » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Arthurian Legends

Alpha test of first chapter available, to be found on discord.

Twitter: twitter.com/arthuriandev
Discord: discord.gg/u4WJH5J
A darkness now spreads across Albion, the crops are dying and the water is turning foul. The people are plagued with hunger and disease. Fewer by the day have the strength to fend off the Saxons who have been invading Albion from the north and slowly claiming land. It is feared they are now aided by dark magic, by those who were exiled by Uther's blood-lust, masters of The Old Religion.

itemlist.png

Weapons
Main: Press '1-9' to change.
#
1. Fists
1. Hunters Axe
2. Two-Handed Sword
3. Throwing Axe
4. Small Crossbow
5. Fire Wand
6. Bombs
6. Fire Bombs
6. Holy Hand Grenade
7. Throwing Knives
8. Spiked Club
9. Gladius

Off-Hand: Press 'Q' to change.
Fist
Shield
Dagger

Items
Consumables:

Potion Of Healing - Restores 50 health points.
Potion Of Strength - Deal double melee damage for 30 seconds.
Potion Of Rage - 10x Fist damage for 30 seconds.
Potion Of Illumination - Fully illuminates the world for 30 seconds.
Potion Of Invisibility - Turns the player invisible for a 30 seconds.

Bear Trap - Throw down a bear trap that will deal damage and trap an enemy for a short duration.

Rune Of Fireball- Shoots a ball of fire that explodes doing damage to a small area.
Rune Of Freezing - Projectile that freezes a single target.
Rune Of Lightning - Cast a thunder cloud over a large area that strikes enemies with lightning.
Rune Of Rebirth - Instead of dying the player is healed a certain amount.
Rune Of Summoning - Summons a skeleton to fight for you.
Rune Of Apocalypse - Does damage to all nearby enemies

Armor:
Leather Armor - 25 Armor.
Chain-mail Armor - 50 Armor.
Plate-mail Armor - 75 Armor.
Golden Armor - 100 Armor.

Other:
Food - +5 to +20 health.
Chalice Of Life - +100 Health (Able to go over max health, up to 200).
Chalice Of The Gods - Invulnerable for 30 seconds.
Chalice Of Rage - 10x fist damage for 30 seconds
Chalice Of The Unseen - Invisibility for 30 seconds.

Relics
Bag Of Holding - Increases weapon/ammo storage.
Belt Of Holding - Doubles item capacity.
Boots Of Protection - Halves floor damage.
Elemental Cloak - Halves elemental damage.
Great Helm - Increases base AC by 1.
Blood Ring - Increases base health by 10.
Ring Of Might - Increases base melee damage by 2.
Blood Star - Every melee attack will heal 1 health.

Bestiary
bestiary2.png
Last edited by Kilatorian on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Koutacles
001 Subscriber

Re: 2.5D Sword and Sorcery RPG

Postby Koutacles » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:25 pm

Talk to Ramchuk and implement his Random Dungeon Generator ;)
Seems pretty cool so far. I'd say instant cast equipped scroll by pressing a button, as the game sounds very run-and-gun.
aka Chaoman77
Play Fungi Frolic!
Solve platforming puzzles and then make your own!
Play Endless Sands!
Gather gold in a deadly pyramid then (hopefully) return alive to spend it on sweet, sweet loot!

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:40 pm

Doom-style games are really great. I enjoy them.

As a point of reference for interconnected worlds within an episodic structure, you might want to look at Quake 2. It is split into several individual segments, but each one consists of a handful of individual areas. Usually the route you take is fairly linear, but you occasionally have to backtrack through previous areas to complete some new goal or access new areas contained within.

I would also suggest that you keep RPG mechanics fairly minimal, especially if you're going for a fast-paced type thing. Your armor idea sounds interesting, but you should be very careful about implementing too many weapons and spells. Rather than, say, three increasingly powerful variations of a fire spell, you might instead level up a single spell. You could maybe take this in the direction of branching upgrade paths, but major upgrades would need to be appropriately scarce. Of course, that's all assuming you want a fast paced game; if you want a slower pace, a larger set of equipment could work out.

Whatever direction you take, I wish upon you great success!
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:39 am

Looks amazing. I look forward to playing it.

Side note: I too am working on a 2.5 game, how do you handle the weapon sprites, my method is problematic and I hope you have a better one.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:35 am

Oh hell yes, Daggerfall 2.0. I've been dying to play a game like this for the longest time. Sounds great man. :)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:06 am

Maybe a bad idea, but what if it was set up similar to The Legend of Zelda? Where you explore an overworld hub thing and find dungeons where you get a new tool or a piece of the master sword or something at the end of each to prep for the final boss..? That way you can explore but also have linear dungeons and a structure.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:18 am

Looks cool, and I'm a fan of simpler RPGs so I'll definitely play it. :)

CnN
001 Subscriber

Postby CnN » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:43 am

:shock: You have to make this game.

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:07 am

I added a screenshot of my two-handed axe.

Koutacles, I've definitally pictured something like this being able to be used with Ramchuks RDG ever since I saw he was working on it. The spells will probably stay fast use, I'll have to get some decent gameplay going before I can tell how fast place or run-and-gun it's going to be. I don't think its going to be as fast as some of those old games, where you run at lightning speeds, also a lot of the combat will be melee.

Not Me, I'll have to look into Quake 2. I've also been looking into Daggerfall as Zhuge has mentioned, I can't believe I never played either of those back in the day. Played Quake 1, but Daggerfall would have been right up my ally. I looked into how the armor of Doom worked, I never knew that the green armor absorbs 1/3 damage and blue absorbs 1/2.

Overall I plan on having a max of 10 weapons, and probably similarly of spells. I'm considering giving some of the weapons durability so they can break, maybe the shield too? All the spells I have now have a unique function (I updated their information a little bit), there's only really 3 damage spells. I'll probably add a scroll of apocalypse, just a super spell that damages everything in the area. Not sure if I need the magic armor or heal spells, or if I should add drinkable potions. I actually hadn't considered upgrading the spells.. I'm on the fence of adding experience and player levels or not, if I did I could just have the spells level up as the player did.

Wonderland, not a bad idea, I was totally thinking about the Legend of Zelda last night :D I'm starting to lean towards a mix of this idea and the episodic idea. 4 Episodes, each episode is a somewhat open world area with multiple dungeons, and you have to find keys in these dungeons to unlock more areas of the open world. The 'dungeons' don't have to all be dungeon dungeons, just akin to one level in these old games. There could be mini bosses, but there is a big boss at the end of every episode. I was thinking about adding one upgraded version to some of the weapons, maybe you're searching for the lost legendary weapons of some ancient blacksmith, so maybe for a while you can pick up enemies wooden handled maces that are good but eventually break, and then you find the legendary indestructible mace Windu.

Jegar, I do have a better method. I think might make a topic on 2.5D game theory to consolidate ideas for the basics of what anyone trying to make a 2.5D game would need.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Kilatorian wrote:I added a screenshot of my two-handed axe.

Koutacles, I've definitally pictured something like this being able to be used with Ramchuks RDG ever since I saw he was working on it. The spells will probably stay fast use, I'll have to get some decent gameplay going before I can tell how fast place or run-and-gun it's going to be. I don't think its going to be as fast as some of those old games, where you run at lightning speeds, also a lot of the combat will be melee.

Not Me, I'll have to look into Quake 2. I've also been looking into Daggerfall as Zhuge has mentioned, I can't believe I never played either of those back in the day. Played Quake 1, but Daggerfall would have been right up my ally. I looked into how the armor of Doom worked, I never knew that the green armor absorbs 1/3 damage and blue absorbs 1/2.

Overall I plan on having a max of 10 weapons, and probably similarly of spells. I'm considering giving some of the weapons durability so they can break, maybe the shield too? All the spells I have now have a unique function (I updated their information a little bit), there's only really 3 damage spells. I'll probably add a scroll of apocalypse, just a super spell that damages everything in the area. Not sure if I need the magic armor or heal spells, or if I should add drinkable potions. I actually hadn't considered upgrading the spells.. I'm on the fence of adding experience and player levels or not, if I did I could just have the spells level up as the player did.

Wonderland, not a bad idea, I was totally thinking about the Legend of Zelda last night :D I'm starting to lean towards a mix of this idea and the episodic idea. 4 Episodes, each episode is a somewhat open world area with multiple dungeons, and you have to find keys in these dungeons to unlock more areas of the open world. The 'dungeons' don't have to all be dungeon dungeons, just akin to one level in these old games. There could be mini bosses, but there is a big boss at the end of every episode. I was thinking about adding one upgraded version to some of the weapons, maybe you're searching for the lost legendary weapons of some ancient blacksmith, so maybe for a while you can pick up enemies wooden handled maces that are good but eventually break, and then you find the legendary indestructible mace Windu.

Jegar, I do have a better method. I think might make a topic on 2.5D game theory to consolidate ideas for the basics of what anyone trying to make a 2.5D game would need.

Just curious... Is the name of the mace ("Windu") a pun or was that unintentional? Ha ha. Mace Windu is the name of a Star Wars character.

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Wonderland wrote:Just curious... Is the name of the mace ("Windu") a pun or was that unintentional? Ha ha. Mace Windu is the name of a Star Wars character.

Haha yeah, I was thinking if I was going to name the legendary weapons what would I call the mace, and the tip of the mace looked like a W, then it occurred to me, what else could you possibly call it? Old games liked to throw in hidden bits of pop culture, figured why not :P

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Great work man! Can't wait to see what comes of this!

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:52 am

yeah the screenshots look really cool. really makes the default graphics shine, plus your additions look good. i like 'old style' games like this that dont hurt my computer and are easy to run (hopefully). tried to dL DaggerFall some years ago when i got my first computer, but it ran on DOS so it was already too obsolete for me to get running.
i'd play this, let me know if you need testers
~reminds me of KingsField 1&2~

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Sorry for the off-topic, but you can download Daggerfall for modern PCs for free from Bethesda now.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:51 pm

Don't get Daggerfall from Bethesda website. The UESP wiki has an installer for Daggerfall that's way easier to setup, but also includes (optional) unofficial patches. In fact, I have a Daggerfall CD from TES:Anthology, yet I still recommend UESP's setup.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:11 pm

I'd forgotten about Kings Field! Totally played that back on the original playstation. Thanks for the heads up on Daggerfall, just downloaded it.

Started organizing the hud, added a one handed crossbow, bombs, dagger, bear traps, and poison flasks. I'm gonna work on some hand art one of these days.
newhudss4.png

I'm also thinking about making classes.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:56 pm

The lighting and effects are spot on. Looking good dude. :)

CnN
001 Subscriber

Postby CnN » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:36 pm

It's really looking great as it comes along. Love the light effects on the smoke, Keep it up!

Kilatorian
001 Support

Re: Arthurian Legends

Postby Kilatorian » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Alpha test of the first chapter, a 5 level (plus secret level) demo. PM me or come to the new Arthurian Legends discord channel: https://discord.gg/u4WJH5J
newgame.png

Dagnybaker

Postby Dagnybaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 am

It actually looks amazing.

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Thank you! I haven't posted on the forums in awhile, but in-case anyone is interested, work indeed continues on the game.

Return to Games In Progress