english exams: Paintings and Poetry (URGENT)

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Ixayou
001 Translator

english exams: Paintings and Poetry (URGENT)

Postby Ixayou » Wed May 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I am too tired to work right now, but i have 10 hours left untill i have to show my english oral exam presentation and im stressed out! I have to create a presentation about the topic Paintings and Poetry, and it has to last for 15 minutes (so far i've got 11)

What i am missing is about Picasso's cubism period, what is the characteristics of these paintings and what influenced them, what techniques and styles were used?
Another thing is information about the poet Oscar Wilde's life, as i have already analyzed one of his poems as an example but i want the presentation to last longer.

I've been reading through wikipedias and dictionaries and such but the only information i've found is too hard for me to understand! And for every line of useful information there are 20 lines of worthless junk. Im running out of time and i just dont have time to sit down and analyze a piece of text that might not even be useful to me. Tomorrow i will have a couple hours to practice and memorize the presentation, so i was hoping that someone could try to find this information for me while i'm getting some hours of sleep after working for 12 hours.

doesnt have to be very detailed, i just need to add a couple more minutes to fill the article.

Oh and here is the presentation (the part which i will be saying, not showing the teachers) just so you know what i've got so far
Code: Select all
Painting and Poetry

About Paintings
Painting is the practice of applying color to canvas, and it has been used through the centuries by artists to express what they see and feel. Humans have been making paintings since they carved them into rocks in the stone age, and art have been changing ever since.
The oldest painting ever known is claimed to be 32 000 years old, which means the art of painting is six times older than the art of writing. The carvings are painted using red ochre and black pigment and show horses, rhinos, lions, buffalo, mammoth or humans often hunting.

Closer to our time painters used oil paint and watercolor on canvas or paper. Untill photography was invented in the 19th century, painting was the only way to make a record of the observable world. The paintings were very accurate and realistic, and many were showing a religious event as most people were christians at that time.
A famous artist from this time is Leonardo da Vinci. He was born in the Italian city Vinci in the 15th century, and even though he was an inventor, a scientist, engineer, architect and writer he was most famous for his paintings. He was known as the renaissance man, and his knowledge for anatomy, the way humans register emoction in expression and gesture and his subtle graduation of tone are qualities which are shown in his paintings.
His most famous work is the Mona Lisa, the Last supper and the Virgin of the Rocks. He made a lot of other christian paintings too, and many of them are in Louvre in Paris.
Paintings like these isnt as straightforward as they might look like when you first see them, so you have to study the picture to see what the painter was trying to tell.
Even if the picture might be a little hard to understand, the painter usually give us some clues. Things we should look for is the title of the painting, the date it was painted, the colours that has been used, lightning and shading and use of material.

The Madonna of the Carnation was painted in 1478-1480, and it shows Virgin Mary with baby Jesus on her lap. The first thing you might see when you look at this picture would be their faces, because Leonardo used a lot of highlighting on their skin. Highlighted objects are usually the first thing the eye sees, so you dont see all the details before taking a second look.
You might or might not have noticed that Virgin Mary is holding a rose in her left hand wich baby Jesus is reaching out for. The rose is made with darker colors, and blends more in with the picture so its not so easy to see at first.
Im not exactly sure what the rose means in the picture, but i belive it is the symbol of the passion. (source: Wikipedia)
A second thing you might not have seen is the flower vase in the bottom right corner. The colors are so dark you can barely see it without taking a closer look.

Details like these can have their own hidden meaning. The painting of the Last Supper was made of Jesus’ last meal with his diciples, where he said one of them would betray him. You can see that his 12 diciples is all standing in groups of three, and next to Peter, Judas and John you can barely see a hand holding a knife. I belive this knife symbolizes the betrayal, as it is close to Judas who betrayed him according to the bible story.
But it is hard to say who the hand holding the knife really belongs to.
There are two theories. One is that the hand belongs to John, Peter is holding his wrist and Andrew, who sees this, is horrified at this.
But if you look at the picture where Judas is removed from the painting, you will see that John got the arms of a gorilla. I duobt Leonardo da Vinci, with his accurate anatomy knowledge would make such a mistake.
Another theory is that Peter is holding the knife in a very odd angle twisted backwards away from Judas. I draw myself and i know that sometimes when making certain poses it can be very hard to make it look natural. Leonardo could have had some trouble drawing that arm.
Personally i belive the hand was placed there on purpose, and i dont think he wanted us to know who it belong to. Just like Jesus knew someone would betray him but didnt know who, we can see the knife but we dont know who it belong to.

In the 19th century photography became more widespread, and paintings lost its purpose. People could now create a picture that was identical to reality, and it could be done by the blink of an eye. In the 1960’s some people said that painting, as a serious art form, is dead.

Pablo Picasso however, lived in the 20th century. He was a spanish painter who lived in France, and he was one of the most famous painters within modern art. He had a wide variety of styles, but he is most known for co-founding the cubist-movement.
He had many different styles of painting, and they are all categorized in periods.

The blue period started in 1901, and it consist of numberous paintings coloured in cold colors as blue and blue-green. There were several paintings of gaunt mothers with children, prostitutes and beggars, and many think it was because Picasso was influenced by a trip through spain as well as his friends suicide.
As you can see on the pictures they all represent poverty and tragedy, and to express the gloomy mood he used a lot of blue colors because blue colors represent sadness and despair. If these colors were changed there would be a completly different mood in the picture.

Look at Picasso’s Portrait of Soler. In the top image he looks like a cold and gloomy man with bad intentions, or a man who is depressed.
I edited the colors in the bottom picture to make it look more neutral, and now it doesnt look dark and gloomy at all! It shows us how well picasso brought up the mood by just using blue and blue-green.

In 1904 he ended the Blue Period and started the Rose Period, which is characterized by a more cheery style with orange and pink colors, featuring a lot of circus people, acrobats ans harlequins. Picasso met Fernande Olivier, a model for sculptors and artists, in Paris in 1904, and many of these paintings are influenced by his warm relationship with her.
You can see on the pictures that the paintings have a warmer mood, and this is also caused by the colors. Warmer colors like red and orange often symbolize love and happiness, which is why the mood of the picture changes once i edited the colors to blue and darker shades.

The African-influenced Period started in 1907 when african artifacts were brought to museums in Paris. Picasso saw the sculptures and paintings, and his discovery of african art influenced his paintings. He started making more abstract art, and he used a wider range of colors than in the previous periods.

Poetry is a form of literary art that may be written independently, as discrete poems, or may occur in conjunction with other arts, as in poetic drama, lyrics, or prose poetry. The characteristics of a poem is that it is usually fairly short, it’s often divided into verses, i has a special rythm, it has lines of a certain length, words and lines often rhyme, it often expresses feelings or imagination, a particular mood, atmosphere or tell a story.
The voice of the speaker is what creates the mood of the poem, and it can also be produced by the title, the poets choice of words, patterns of rhyme and rythm, repetition, sound effects and the situation described by the poem.

Poetry is often thought of in terms of different genres. Genres are used to classify poems based on the subject matter, style, or other literary characteristics.

Epic poetry is one of the oldest genres. It is much longer than usual poetry, and usually tell a story about a hero presenting his adventures. Narrative poetry also tells a story, but its usually not dramatic, and might be shorter than epic poetry.

Lyric Poetry is shorter than Epic and Narrative poetry, and instead of telling a story it expresses the poets own feeling, situation and state of mind. For the ancient Greeks, lyric poetry had a precise technical meaning: verse that was accompanied by a lyre or other stringed instrument. Later poets began writing lyric poems which was no longer meant to be sung, but read.

Poetic drama is a drama written in verse to be sung or spoken. Almost all of William Shakespare’s drama is dramatic poetry, and it was also used a lot in theatres in ancient Greece.

Oscar Wilde was an irish writer and poet. He was born in 1854, and in the 1890’s he became one of Londons most popular playwrights.

One of his best short poems is named la Fruite de la Lune, and it goes like this:

To outer senses there is peace,
A dreamy peace on either hand,
Deep silence in the shadowy land,
Deep silence where the shadows cease.

Save for a cry that echoes shrill
From some lone bird disconsolate;
A corncrake calling to its mate;
The answer from the misty hill.

And suddenly the moon withdraws
Her sickle from the lightening skies,
And to her sombre cavern flies,
Wrapped in a veil of yellow gauze.

Im not completly sure what this poem is about, but i belive its about the silent night sky with the moon shinning bright until the sun comes up the next day.

In the first four lines the poet describes the peaceful mood, and that it is dark.
In the next four lines he describes that it is quiet except for a bird crying.
In the last four lines he tells us that the moon withraws from the skies, and into its place comes the sun.

ALL HELP IS APRICIATED, BECAUSE I AM DESPERATE!
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Re: english exams: Paintings and Poetry (URGENT)

Postby Deedasmi » Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 pm

I proof-read it, spell checked it, and added a couple paragraphs. One about the Mona Lisa, One about Picasso (That one was hard, and a lot of it is BS lol), and I started a conclusion for you. My eyes are bothering me now, and I really need to get to bed.

If you fail and get grounded and aren't allowed on 001 anymore, I would be sad. So I tried :(.
Painting and Poetry

About Paintings
Painting is the practice of applying color to canvas, and it has been used through the centuries by artists to express what they see and feel. Humans have been making paintings since they carved them into rocks in the stone age, and art have been changing ever since.
The oldest painting ever known is claimed to be 32 000 years old, which means the art of painting is six times older than the art of writing. The carvings are painted using red ochre and black pigment and showed horses, rhinos, lions, buffalo, mammoth or humans. Often these paintings were of hunts that the artist watched.

Closer to our time painters used oil paint and watercolor on canvas or paper. Until photography was invented in the 19th century, painting was the only way to make a record of the observable world. The paintings were very accurate and realistic, and many were showing a religious event as most people were Christians at that time.
A famous artist from this time is Leonardo da Vinci. He was born in the Italian city Vinci in the 15th century, and even though he was an inventor, a scientist, engineer, architect and writer he was most famous for his paintings. He was known as the renaissance man.

His knowledge for anatomy, the way humans register emotion in expression and gesture and his subtle graduation of tone are qualities which are shown in his paintings.

His most famous works are the Mona Lisa, the Last supper and the Virgin of the Rocks. He made a lot of other christian paintings too, and many of them are in Louvre in Paris.
Paintings like these aren’t as straightforward as they might look like when you first see them, so you have to study the picture to see what the painter was trying to tell.
Even if the picture might be a little hard to understand, the painter usually give us some clues. Things we should look for is the title of the painting, the date it was painted, the colors that has been used, lightning and shading and use of material.

The Mona Lisa is arguably the most famous, and the most mysterious of Leonardo's paintings. The Last supper has a back story,  in which to relate to. However, the Mona Lisa has nothing. Many people can glance at it many times and see something slightly different every time. The most common illusion is that the Mona Lisa is sometimes smiling, sometimes not. It is known that Da Vinci studied optical illusions, and thought that he painted the smile in such a way that you can glance at it and see a straight face, or a smile. Another puzzle to this painting is the horizon. If you look closely at the horizon on the right side of the face, you can see that it is slightly higher then the horizon on the left. If you look at the slope of the ground, logic would say that the left side should be higher then the right side. This may seem like a simple mistake at first, but when you compare this to the way the human eye works with our brain, having the right horizon higher actually brings out the face, they eyes, and the smile of Mona Lisa, and creates a more noticeable face

The Madonna of the Carnation was painted from 1478 to 1480, and it shows Virgin Mary with baby Jesus on her lap. The first thing you might see when you look at this picture would be their faces, because Leonardo used a lot of highlighting on their skin. Highlighted objects are usually the first thing that the eye sees, so you don’t see all the details before taking a second look.
You might or might not have noticed that Virgin Mary is holding a rose in her left hand which baby Jesus is reaching out for. The rose is made with darker colors, and blends more in with the picture so its not as easy to see at first.
I'm not exactly sure what the rose means in the picture, but I believe it is the symbol of the passion. (source: Wikipedia)
A second thing you might not have seen is the flower vase in the bottom right corner. The colors are so dark you can barely see it without taking a closer look.

Details like these can have their own hidden meaning. The painting of the Last Supper was made of Jesus’ last meal with his disciples, where he said one of them would betray him. You can see that his 12 disciples is all standing in groups of three, and next to Peter, Judas and John you can barely see a hand holding a knife. I believe this knife symbolizes the betrayal, as it is close to Judas who betrayed him according to the bible.
There are two theories. One is that the hand belongs to John, Peter is holding his wrist and Andrew, who sees this, is horrified at what is happening.
But if you look at the picture where Judas is removed from the painting, you will see that John has the arms of a gorilla. I doubt Leonardo da Vinci, with his accurate anatomy knowledge would make such a mistake.
Another theory is that Peter is holding the knife in a very odd angle twisted backwards away from Judas. I draw myself and I know that sometimes when making certain poses it can be very hard to make it look natural. Leonardo could have had some trouble drawing that arm.
Personally I believe the hand was placed there on purpose, and I don’t think he wanted us to know who it belong to. Just like Jesus knew someone would betray him but didn’t know who, we can see the knife but we font know who it belonged to.

In the 19th century photography became more widespread, and paintings lost its purpose. People could now create a picture that was identical to reality, and it could be done by the blink of an eye. In the 1960’s some people said that painting, as a serious art form, is dead.

Pablo Picasso however, lived in the 20th century. He was a Spanish painter who lived in France, and he was one of the most famous painters within modern art. He had a wide variety of styles, but he is most known for co-founding the cubist-movement.
He had many different styles of painting, and they are all categorized in periods.

The blue period started in 1901, and it consist of numerous paintings colored in cold colors as blue and blue-green. There were several paintings of gaunt mothers with children, prostitutes and beggars, and many think it was because Picasso was influenced by a trip through Spain as well as his friends suicide.
As you can see on the pictures they all represent poverty and tragedy, and to express the gloomy mood he used a lot of blue colors because blue colors represent sadness and despair. If these colors were changed there would be a completely different mood in the picture.

Look at Picasso’s Portrait of Soler. In the top image he looks like a cold and gloomy man with bad intentions, or a man who is depressed.
I edited the colors in the bottom picture to make it look more neutral, and now it doesn’t look dark and gloomy at all! It shows us how well Picasso brought up the mood by just using blue and blue-green.

In 1904 he ended the Blue Period and started the Rose Period, which is characterized by a more cheery style with orange and pink colors, featuring a lot of circus people, acrobats ans harlequins. Picasso met Fernande Olivier, a model for sculptors and artists, in Paris in 1904, and many of these paintings are influenced by his warm relationship with her.
You can see on the pictures that the paintings have a warmer mood, and this is also caused by the colors. Warmer colors like red and orange often symbolize love and happiness, which is why the mood of the picture changes once I edited the colors to blue and darker shades.

The African-influenced Cubism Period started in 1907 when African artifacts were brought to museums in Paris. Picasso saw the sculptures and paintings, and his discovery of African art influenced his paintings. He started making more abstract art, and he used a wider range of colors than in the previous periods. When Picasso looked at the art of his peers, or his own art, all he saw was a flat surface conveying a message. Picasso wanted something else, something new. Before this, his art, like many other artists, was about emotion. In the Cubism period, Picasso started to draw as an intellectual experiment. Could he make something stand out, look different.

He experimented with several types of Cubism. Analytical Cubism was about taking an image apart, pulling them into different planes, and showing multiple perspectives. Unlike Analytical Cubism, Synthetic Cubism was about pushing several objects together. Using different textures, surfaces, and collage elements of different subjects and combing them into a single painting.

Poetry is another form of art, that uses words instead of shapes. They may be written independently, as discrete poems, or may occur in conjunction with other arts, as in poetic drama, lyrics, or prose poetry. The characteristics of a poem is that it is usually fairly short, it’s often divided into verses, it has a special rhythm, it has lines of a certain length, words and lines often rhyme, it often expresses feelings or imagination, a particular mood, atmosphere or tell a story.
The voice of the speaker is what creates the mood of the poem, and it can also be produced by the title, the poets choice of words, patterns of rhyme and rhythm, repetition, sound effects and the situation described by the poem.

Poetry is often thought of in terms of different genres. Genres are used to classify poems based on the subject matter, style, or other literary characteristics.

Epic poetry is one of the oldest genres. It is much longer than usual poetry, and usually tell a story about a hero presenting his adventures. Narrative poetry also tells a story, but its usually not dramatic, and might be shorter than epic poetry. A well known example is Beowulf.

Lyric Poetry is shorter than Epic and Narrative poetry, and instead of telling a story it expresses the poets own feeling, situation and state of mind. For the ancient Greeks, lyric poetry had a precise technical meaning: verse that was accompanied by a lyre or other stringed instrument. Later poets began writing lyric poems which was no longer meant to be sung, but read.

Poetic drama is a drama written in verse to be sung or spoken. Almost all of William Shakespeare’s drama is dramatic poetry, and it was also used a lot in theaters in ancient Greece.

Oscar Wilde was an Irish writer and poet. He was born in 1854, and in the 1890’s he became one of London’s most popular playwrights. One of his best short poems is named la Fruite de la Lune, and it goes like this:

I’m not completely sure what this poem is about, but I believe its about the silent night sky with the moon shinning bright until the sun comes up the next day.

In the first four lines the poet describes the peaceful mood, and that it is dark.
In the last four lines he tells us that the moon withdraws from the skies, and into its place comes the sun.

However, this poem could mean something completed different to you. That is one of the things that make poems so mystical. It forces you to think, and everybody will understand it differently. Many forms of art do this. Very rarely will you find an artists descriptions of his own painting, even more rare is a poet explaining what he meant, what they felt, or what inspired their poem. It all adds to the mysticism, and makes the art more interesting. Many people cannot look at a piece of art, or hear a poem, and not put together their own story of what is happening.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 pm

About Paintings
paintign si the practice of applying color to a canvas to create some sort fo visual imagery or form. it's much more than color, and having the emphasis would eb good. The rest seems legit.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:36 am

Maybe look for more stuff for poetry, it seems that you only have art there.(Well, mostly)
William Shakespear would be a good one to look at..

Jesus knew someone would betray him and knew who.

Fixed. Figured you might lose some credits if your teacher knew anything about the bible.
And there is a spelling mistake right near there that says font instead of dont.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu May 05, 2011 3:07 am

Deedasmi wrote:I proof-read it, spell checked it, and added a couple paragraphs. One about the Mona Lisa, One about Picasso (That one was hard, and a lot of it is BS lol), and I started a conclusion for you. My eyes are bothering me now, and I really need to get to bed.

If you fail and get grounded and aren't allowed on 001 anymore, I would be sad. So I tried :(.
Painting and Poetry

About Paintings
The oldest painting ever known is claimed to be 32 000 years old, which means the art of painting is six times older than the art of writing. The carvings are painted using red ochre and black pigment and showed horses, rhinos, lions, buffalo, mammoth or humans. Often these paintings were of hunts that the artist watched.

Closer to our time painters used oil paint and watercolor on canvas or paper. Until photography was invented in the 19th century, painting was the only way to make a record of the observable world. The paintings were very accurate and realistic, and many were showing a religious event as most people were Christians at that time.
A famous artist from this time is Leonardo da Vinci. He was born in the Italian city Vinci in the 15th century, and even though he was an inventor, a scientist, engineer, architect and writer he was most famous for his paintings. He was known as the renaissance man.

His knowledge for anatomy, the way humans register emotion in expression and gesture and his subtle graduation of tone are qualities which are shown in his paintings.

His most famous works are the Mona Lisa, the Last supper and the Virgin of the Rocks. He made a lot of other christian paintings too, and many of them are in Louvre in Paris.
Paintings like these aren’t as straightforward as they might look like when you first see them, so you have to study the picture to see what the painter was trying to tell.
Even if the picture might be a little hard to understand, the painter usually give us some clues. Things we should look for is the title of the painting, the date it was painted, the colors that has been used, lightning and shading and use of material.

The Mona Lisa is arguably the most famous, and the most mysterious of Leonardo's paintings. The Last supper has a back story,  in which to relate to. However, the Mona Lisa has nothing. Many people can glance at it many times and see something slightly different every time. The most common illusion is that the Mona Lisa is sometimes smiling, sometimes not. It is known that Da Vinci studied optical illusions, and thought that he painted the smile in such a way that you can glance at it and see a straight face, or a smile. Another puzzle to this painting is the horizon. If you look closely at the horizon on the right side of the face, you can see that it is slightly higher then the horizon on the left. If you look at the slope of the ground, logic would say that the left side should be higher then the right side. This may seem like a simple mistake at first, but when you compare this to the way the human eye works with our brain, having the right horizon higher actually brings out the face, they eyes, and the smile of Mona Lisa, and creates a more noticeable face

The Madonna of the Carnation was painted from 1478 to 1480, and it shows Virgin Mary with baby Jesus on her lap. The first thing you might see when you look at this picture would be their faces, because Leonardo used a lot of highlighting on their skin. Highlighted objects are usually the first thing that the eye sees, so you don’t see all the details before taking a second look.
You might or might not have noticed that Virgin Mary is holding a rose in her left hand which baby Jesus is reaching out for. The rose is made with darker colors, and blends more in with the picture so its not as easy to see at first.
I'm not exactly sure what the rose means in the picture, but I believe it is the symbol of the passion. (source: Wikipedia)

Details like these can have their own hidden meaning. The painting of the Last Supper was made of Jesus’ last meal with his disciples, where he said one of them would betray him. You can see that his 12 disciples is all standing in groups of three, and next to Peter, Judas and John you can barely see a hand holding a knife. I believe this knife symbolizes the betrayal, as it is close to Judas who betrayed him according to the bible.
There are two theories. One is that the hand belongs to John, Peter is holding his wrist and Andrew, who sees this, is horrified at what is happening.
But if you look at the picture where Judas is removed from the painting, you will see that John has the arms of a gorilla. I doubt Leonardo da Vinci, with his accurate anatomy knowledge would make such a mistake.
Another theory is that Peter is holding the knife in a very odd angle twisted backwards away from Judas. I draw myself and I know that sometimes when making certain poses it can be very hard to make it look natural. Leonardo could have had some trouble drawing that arm.
Personally I believe the hand was placed there on purpose, and I don’t think he wanted us to know who it belong to. Just like Jesus knew someone would betray him but didn’t know who, we can see the knife but we font know who it belonged to.

Pablo Picasso however, lived in the 20th century. He was a Spanish painter who lived in France, and he was one of the most famous painters within modern art. He had a wide variety of styles, but he is most known for co-founding the cubist-movement.

The blue period started in 1901, and it consist of numerous paintings colored in cold colors as blue and blue-green. There were several paintings of gaunt mothers with children, prostitutes and beggars, and many think it was because Picasso was influenced by a trip through Spain as well as his friends suicide.
As you can see on the pictures they all represent poverty and tragedy, and to express the gloomy mood he used a lot of blue colors because blue colors represent sadness and despair. If these colors were changed there would be a completely different mood in the picture.

I edited the colors in the bottom picture to make it look more neutral, and now it doesn’t look dark and gloomy at all! It shows us how well Picasso brought up the mood by just using blue and blue-green.

You can see on the pictures that the paintings have a warmer mood, and this is also caused by the colors. Warmer colors like red and orange often symbolize love and happiness, which is why the mood of the picture changes once I edited the colors to blue and darker shades.

The African-influenced Cubism Period started in 1907 when African artifacts were brought to museums in Paris. Picasso saw the sculptures and paintings, and his discovery of African art influenced his paintings. He started making more abstract art, and he used a wider range of colors than in the previous periods. When Picasso looked at the art of his peers, or his own art, all he saw was a flat surface conveying a message. Picasso wanted something else, something new. Before this, his art, like many other artists, was about emotion. In the Cubism period, Picasso started to draw as an intellectual experiment. Could he make something stand out, look different.

He experimented with several types of Cubism. Analytical Cubism was about taking an image apart, pulling them into different planes, and showing multiple perspectives. Unlike Analytical Cubism, Synthetic Cubism was about pushing several objects together. Using different textures, surfaces, and collage elements of different subjects and combing them into a single painting.

Poetry is another form of art, that uses words instead of shapes. They may be written independently, as discrete poems, or may occur in conjunction with other arts, as in poetic drama, lyrics, or prose poetry. The characteristics of a poem is that it is usually fairly short, it’s often divided into verses, it has a special rhythm, it has lines of a certain length, words and lines often rhyme, it often expresses feelings or imagination, a particular mood, atmosphere or tell a story.
The voice of the speaker is what creates the mood of the poem, and it can also be produced by the title, the poets choice of words, patterns of rhyme and rhythm, repetition, sound effects and the situation described by the poem.

Epic poetry is one of the oldest genres. It is much longer than usual poetry, and usually tell a story about a hero presenting his adventures. Narrative poetry also tells a story, but its usually not dramatic, and might be shorter than epic poetry. A well known example is Beowulf.

Poetic drama is a drama written in verse to be sung or spoken. Almost all of William Shakespeare’s drama is dramatic poetry, and it was also used a lot in theaters in ancient Greece.

Oscar Wilde was an Irish writer and poet. He was born in 1854, and in the 1890’s he became one of London’s most popular playwrights. One of his best short poems is named la Fruite de la Lune, and it goes like this:

I’m not completely sure what this poem is about, but I believe its about the silent night sky with the moon shinning bright until the sun comes up the next day.

In the last four lines he tells us that the moon withdraws from the skies, and into its place comes the sun.

However, this poem could mean something completed different to you. That is one of the things that make poems so mystical. It forces you to think, and everybody will understand it differently. Many forms of art do this. Very rarely will you find an artists descriptions of his own painting, even more rare is a poet explaining what he meant, what they felt, or what inspired their poem. It all adds to the mysticism, and makes the art more interesting. Many people cannot look at a piece of art, or hear a poem, and not put together their own story of what is happening.

*gives deedasmi a big squishing hug*

YOU are a LIFE SAVER! That helped a lot, probably might be the couple exrtra minutes i needed! I changed the use of words however to sound more natural so the teacher would think i copied from wikipedia or something :P

moment of truth in 30 minutes. im so nervous :O
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 am

God luck (even though this ended hours ago for you, while I was still sleeping.! Hoped you would change the voice, good job lol

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu May 05, 2011 10:03 am

i got a B on it :D yay

The only thing pulling me down from an A was my accent (SUPRISE!) and i had little knowledge about the other chapers in the book.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 am

Still a good grade, gratz

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Nice job. :)

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Thu May 05, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm really glad you did ask us for help in the end. :D Good job.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

and Scav, that thing you sent me really helped, the teacher was impressed with how well i analyzed the poem :)
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Thu May 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Did she actually tell you she marked you down for the accent?

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu May 05, 2011 6:25 pm

yup.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Bastard. That's rediculus, You are Norweigan and She expects a perfect accent, even a British one.. -_-

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Thu May 05, 2011 11:59 pm

Well, same thing when I'm white and I speak Spanish without the proper accent.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Fri May 06, 2011 2:00 pm

well im not really mad for it. I got a B :D Thats better than i thought i'd get.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Return to General Discussion