A good, easy and free software to compose/create music ?

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

A good, easy and free software to compose/create music ?

Postby gerardred » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 pm

I have tried many software like Darkwave, LMMS and many more. But they are to complex for me. Is there any good, easy and free software to create/compose music ? ;)

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Re: A good, easy and free software to compose/create music ?

Postby Not Me » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm not aware of any good free DAWs simpler than LMMS. I used sunvox for a long time, but it's a tracker. You probably would have more trouble with it than anything else.

Out of curiosity, what was your issue with LMMS? There's really not that much to using it.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:07 am

While it's not free, the easiest DAW I've found and the one I personally use for all of my music is Mixcraft.

It's the cheapest premium DAW out. But I know you want free. Well good news. The trial version is basically unlimited and lasts forever. Only thing you can't do is actually mixdown(audacity solves that problem but shh). But even still, when you download the trial, you get 14 days of the full version anyway, mixdowns and everything.

Seriously though it's super easy to use, and comes with tons of great instruments out of the box. Not a whole lot of need to download any VSTs with Mixcraft unless you are super serious about music production.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:27 am

Not Me wrote:I'm not aware of any good free DAWs simpler than LMMS. I used sunvox for a long time, but it's a tracker. You probably would have more trouble with it than anything else.

Out of curiosity, what was your issue with LMMS? There's really not that much to using it.

The instrument stuff. It's to limited.

SBG wrote:While it's not free, the easiest DAW I've found and the one I personally use for all of my music is Mixcraft.

It's the cheapest premium DAW out. But I know you want free. Well good news. The trial version is basically unlimited and lasts forever. Only thing you can't do is actually mixdown(audacity solves that problem but shh). But even still, when you download the trial, you get 14 days of the full version anyway, mixdowns and everything.

Seriously though it's super easy to use, and comes with tons of great instruments out of the box. Not a whole lot of need to download any VSTs with Mixcraft unless you are super serious about music production.

Will try it as soon as I can !
Last edited by gerardred on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

nemonix
001 Supporter

Postby nemonix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm

you should try caustix 3

there are visions for osx win and android
caustix 3 is pattern based - so its easy.
has midi import
and good effects
for example, a vocoder
for you to achieve fast results
the youtube tutorials for it have everything you need

i think mike dont want me to post external links
so just search yourself
u will love it hehe
i guess its a typo will fix it asap

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

You can post as long as it's not competitive software.

nemonix
001 Supporter

Postby nemonix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:10 pm

ok nice thx
caustic - please click me

scroll down to get the free win version. ;)
i guess its a typo will fix it asap

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:46 pm

gerardred wrote:
Not Me wrote:I'm not aware of any good free DAWs simpler than LMMS. I used sunvox for a long time, but it's a tracker. You probably would have more trouble with it than anything else.

The instrument stuff. It's to limited.

Mmm, that's true I suppose. I only ever use vsts, so I haven't really run into that problem.

Both mixcraft and caustic look pretty good based on their websites. I might give them each a try sometime, myself.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:04 pm

with audacity mixcraft is pretty awesome, tinkered with it for a few hours and it seems to be something fun and easy to use since they works similiarly
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

sinjin48
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby sinjin48 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:36 pm

What about Anvilstudio?
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:50 pm

Anvil Studio is actually not as easy to use as the other stuff listed here. Plus it has an extremely limited library of instruments and I don't think it has VST support, which is absolutely necessary if you actually wanna create music that other people will listening to.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 pm

anvil studio is meant for midi isn't it? not sure about the other tools but i know lmms can not export to midi, so anvil studio might have a place if one wishes to use engine001's midi support.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Anvil Studio is a ridiculously powerful MIDI editor. But if you want more from your music than just MIDI, then it's not really optimal. I'm also not convinced that it's "easy", as making good music through it requires knowledge of music theory.

Even if I dislike it as a hardcore music enthusiast... :roll: Garageband probably fits OP's the criteria best, or any program that's similar to how it works. Because you don't need to know much about how music works in order to use it.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

sinjin48
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby sinjin48 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm not sure how 001's music usage goes now. But back when I used the Engine there was a big push to use only MIDI music files in games to keep the file size down. That was why I used AnvilStudio, I only used it to make game music- I'm not/ was not a musician like SBG, making music for commercial production, so AnvilStudio suited my needs perfectly. As for being hard to use... I'm a simple minded little fool and I figured it out.

I used LMMS, and while I never put much effort into figuring it out (as a rule I don't put much effort into stuff :oops: ) I remember being a bit intimidated by it and found it a bit difficult. I also 'used' audacity but never did much with it, I never put much effort into learning how to use it but played around with some of the features- It seemed like a very powerful program if a fellow knew what he was at. I felt like a fellow using a 4X4 to drive through a puddle when using it.

Keep in mind that this was five or six years ago- I don't know how AS, LMMS, Audacity, or 001 work now. :)
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design