Social Networking Webistes.

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Adam
001 Forum Master

Social Networking Webistes.

Postby Adam » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 am

Yup, I'm talking about Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc. If you ask me, they're all just a waste of time. Instead of making virtual friends you could be outside, making real ones. What do you guys think? :)
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Social Networking Webistes.

Postby Rico » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:13 am

It depends where you sit this, social networks espiecially facebook have opened new advertising revenues for companies big and small which in turn has opened alot of new jobs for people which we need in the global economical depression were in at the moment, in the case of twitter it has provided a new way to pass down simple information via there feeds example a dance lesson company can easisly provide information on new unexpected changes.

Personally I am not a big fan of what it does to an individual, it provides a place to escape to and avoid the world which is not really a good thing, plus it's a new way to victimize and bully people but in moderation a social network like facebook can do good if only used to talk with people you can't normally reach.

Pros:
-Provides new advertisement revenues
-New jobs
-Easy information transferrer
-Long range communication

Cons:
-Hiding place for people
-New form of bullying
-Consumes a persons life

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 pm

I disagree most people are actually friends with people they know somehow, it helps you get to know people you don't know that well better and connect with friends you already know. I think it makes it harder to escape and avoid anything.
ImageImage

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:41 pm

People who use social networks sometimes have a false sense of confidence with people and they say stuff they would not say in person.
kcreddevil wrote:I disagree most people are actually friends with people they know somehow, it helps you get to know people you don't know that well better and connect with friends you already know. I think it makes it harder to escape and avoid anything.

Thats different obviously if the person in question hangs out with his mates then he is using the social network in moderation I simply meant when people form relationships with people on a social network and only communicate through that and not in person.

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm

True that could be bad but that's not really the purpose of social networks, it's more about connecting with friends. Rarely you see people who use these sites to form relationships with people they will never meet and stalking is made so much easier (not that I do that).
ImageImage

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm all against Facebook. MySpace and Twitter sounds like good stuff from what I've heard so far.

IMO, there's a whole lot of problems created with the Facebook. It's like throwing your privacy out of the window.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Social networks may have the good intention of trying to establish a safe and kind place for friends to chat while they are at home but just because it has good intentions doesn't mean that is what it is doing, within your circle of friends on your social networks I'm sure you all use the network with respect and just fun like you said but in reality a vast majority of the population of a social network are people trapped in the idea that they have a social life because they socialize online but this isn't the case they are not actually going out and physically socializing.

Overall I agree with Scaveleon where I'm sure there are plenty of people sensibly using Facebook ect... there are many people on there with the soul purpose of stealing your details and using it against you.

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Scaveleon wrote:IMO, there's a whole lot of problems created with the Facebook. It's like throwing your privacy out of the window.

Agreed but until there's a better alternative people will continue to use it.
ImageImage

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:11 pm

What do you think people do on these sites? They're for people you know in real life. It's incredibly useful and not a waste of time. That is, unless you use it the wrong way like some people do. It's not something you should invest all of your time into, and the games are stupid. But if Facebook helps me keep in touch with all of my friends and family, then heck yes, I'll use it. I don't make friends on there. And I only accept requests of people I know.
DOOF

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm

kcreddevil wrote:
Scaveleon wrote:IMO, there's a whole lot of problems created with the Facebook. It's like throwing your privacy out of the window.

Agreed but until there's a better alternative people will continue to use it.

The only thing that makes it a better than alternatives it its popularity.

This actually goes back to history. In the past, Facebook was a site where you could connect with friends while having a tight hand on what private information to share and with whom. Today, it's almost the opposite - Not only Facebook knows you, but also their marketing systems. They don't even need the permission to do so, because you agreed when you made your account. I suppose that's fair in business/internet sense, but it's amoral otherwise.

SoundCloud
Project blog

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 pm

It's definitely wrong that they make money of my 'likes' and anything I share but they do have ways to control what info is shared its just that most people don't even think of changing any of their privacy settings.
Scaveleon wrote:The only thing that makes it a better than alternatives it its popularity.

Yes most people say all they're friends are already on one site so they refuse to join then, only another company that already has a wide presence would be able to compete. Hopefully Google's 'Google Me' could be better.
ImageImage

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 pm

I've met tons of new people through facebook, so i dont see whats so bad about it? :?
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:04 am

Depends how you use it. I mean, there's a lot of stupid people who post every little detail about themselves, making it ridiculously easy for cyberstalkers to take over your life. But then there's people like myself, who don't give away any information, except for name and orientation. I haven't listed my school, hometown, religion etc. And I only have 5 photos of myself uploaded that no one can see unless I set it as my profile picture. It all depends on how you use it.

However, I also find it scary that whatever you put on the internet is there for life. And that more and more employers these days Google potential staff members to see if they have Facebook/Myspace.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 am

Gamerdude wrote:

Depends how you use it. I mean, there's a lot of stupid people who post every little detail about themselves, making it ridiculously easy for cyberstalkers to take over your life. But then there's people like myself, who don't give away any information, except for name and orientation. I haven't listed my school, hometown, religion etc. And I only have 5 photos of myself uploaded that no one can see unless I set it as my profile picture. It all depends on how you use it.

I agree. It's just that the stupid people overshadow the smarter people like you and Ovoon.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:09 am

Ovoon wrote:And I only accept requests of people I know.

Same here. I also only accept requests from people I like. I see all these people on Facebook adding other people I know they dislike and all I can think is "Why? Just so you look popular?".

Scaveleon wrote:I agree. It's just that the stupid people overshadow the smarter people like you and Ovoon.

True, I suppose. It's unfortunate.

JilutheFang
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby JilutheFang » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:52 am

I don't like social networking.
You always get spamed by "happy birthday" messages and all you can do is writing stuff.
I can do that in this forum too, without that faked 'we-are-547-friends' athmosphere.
As If one person would have that many friends IRL. O_o
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Why should fire be the enemie of the sun? Hello? Sun = ultimate fire? :?

tuliron
001 Fanatic

Postby tuliron » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 pm

I only use facebook to talk with people that are my friends.
Like friends who just moved up to Maine. (far away for me)
I never accept friend requests from people idk.
so i only have 150 friends :P

I actually like people knowing it's my birthday :)
besides if they don't send it with facebook they will just text me saying happy birthday.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:14 pm

*ahem*

http://www.live.com

Just like facebook and twitter, only combined. Plus, Hotmail and MSN come from it. I'm against facebook, and Live is un-popular enough that I don't have to worry about 2 million peeps asking me about, well, me. I only have my friends on it. I don't think that there is a way to find other people on Live. I like live. I don't like Facebook. Call it paranoid, I have my reasons.
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:12 pm

I HATE Windows Live. HATE.
DOOF

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am

Ovoon wrote:I HATE Windows Live. HATE.

Why?
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Yea, why?

Wolfmaster
001 Admirer

Postby Wolfmaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Facebook has a lot of Trojans.......... A lot of them have been put in Malwarebytes' database
PLEASE do not call me Leon, Leon Oar, LeonOar, Oar, ETC.. Just call me ISAAC. Do not call me anything other than ISAAC. Or else you will die.
Screw probation.
http://www.newtomorrowmetal.webs.com - New Tomorrow Official Site
http://www.youtube.com/user/newtomorrowmetal - New Tomorrow Official YouTube Channel
http://www.magicpotatogames.net - Magicpotatogames Official Site

My band's first EP in progress!
92% of teenagers have turned to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Ovoon wrote:Why do so many people not like Facebook? It's a incredibly convenient tool to know more about whats going on with the people and businesses you care about. Yet so many people I know refuse to use it for some reason.

Source

Facebook used to be a tool where people could completely manage their privacy. Now, this is almost the opposite. You don't have any control over your privacy at all. Unless you don't use it.

Think about it, it was a tool used by college students. Now, it's a company on its own. The company haves the right to use all your information, find information about you(from other media and news), and without you knowing at all. They can even update your profile without your permission. And it gets worse, because everything that happens on Facebook is permanent. "Deleted" pictures and chat logs are kept for eternity on their server. Which means, should they want to, they can fetch your old pictures.

Now, why is this a problem? Because not only Facebook uses your private stuff, but also their marketing. Their ads are dependent on which information there is on your profile. The games on Facebook collect your data. So not only Facebook have access to it, unknown random advertisers also have access to your stuff without you knowing it. Put in perspective: Google does collect info about their users, but not their marketing associates.

Another thing which bugs me is that deleting your account is so hard. There's the "Deactivate" account, and if you dig deep enough, there's a delete account option, which is barely mentioned anywhere. Why do they have to complicate this? There are plenty of users on Facebook who doesn't even know this feature, and also a lot who can confuse the two easily. By confusing their users, many are tricked into thinking their account was deleted. And the account still stays on their server anyways, so it's only deleted from public view.

Customer service sucks too. Sometimes you won't even be warned before your account can be terminated. You can even get terminated for not updating your profile, because that would make the info inaccurate or "false," followed by a ban.

Lastly, the guy behind it all, Mark Zuckerberg, is infamous for having hacked the mail accounts of his rivals. It's amoral, and he could've had access to their money if he wanted to. Even with the changes Facebook have gone through - I don't trust his moral ethics are higher than the average standard.

Conclusion: After the success of Facebook, the rules got downgraded to the point where Facebook basically doesn't respect privacy. To me, there's only one reason why you would want to use Facebook - Because of its apparently popularity. Without popularity, it's worth nothing.

SoundCloud
Project blog

wolveshouse
001 Supporter

Postby wolveshouse » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 pm

I agree. Did you know that if you are a friend with someone, and they're a friend with someone else that you're not a friend of (let's say they're your archenemy, your friend's friend) and the friend of your friend (getting me here?) posts something bad about you, then you get that message through your friend? Amazing, rite?
I can haz cheezburgur?
Deedasmi wrote:M: Now, this is a story all about how my life got flip, turned, upside down and I'd like to take a minute so just sit right there, and tell you how I became the prince of a town called bel air.
C: In west philadelphia born and raised on a playground is where I spent most of my days.
M: Go on
C: Actually, I can't. I don't know much about Buddhism.

errrrrr

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 am

Leon Oar wrote:Facebook has a lot of Trojans.......... A lot of them have been put in Malwarebytes' database

Don't you test stuff like that?

I will NOT use Facebook, I prefer to keep my private things private.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:40 am

I use Facebook to talk to friends. I use Myspace to meet girls.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:02 pm

:?

Have fun with that.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

The issues of privacy in respect to facebook are a bit silly. I personally don't think I'm important enough for people to want to know about my private life. I mean, c'mon. The site has to make money, and it does so by using the private information. If you want to keep something private, just don't put it up on the site.

I use facebook to keep in touch with friends, and to spread the 001 love. No need to worry about your personal information, most people have more important things to do than care about your "personal information that you chose to put up publicly to begin with" :P.

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Mike wrote: I personally don't think I'm important enough for people to want to know about my private life.

That's what many people think, but I still think there are always people interested in someone.

Mike wrote: If you want to keep something private, just don't put it up on the site.

I totally agree.
Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) Click Here Image

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:23 pm

I agree that what facebook does is unethical, but they don't do anything that any random cyberstalker could do as far as getting all of your information, so ultimately if your personal information winds up where you don't want it to be then it is your fault for putting it out there in the first place.

Return to General Discussion