Do i need Vsync?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

Do i need Vsync?

Postby Danny » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:27 pm

What is Vsync for? When i have it enabled my game runs fine and my FPS are between 59/50. When i disable Vsync my FPS is around 140 and my game seems even faster.

Do i need Vsync for my 2D platformer game? What happens if i disable it? I've disabled it but nothing bad appeared to happen.

Thanks.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: Do i need Vsync?

Postby SBG » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:01 pm

In a nutshell, Vsync regulates the framerate to match the MHz of your monitor to prevent screen tearing and anomalies that happen when your FPS doesn't match your MHz. It's a personal preference to use it, and some hardware needs it more than others. My particular video card has terrible screen tearing without vsync, and even a little bit with it.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:08 pm

I can't tell if i need it or not. With it game runs fine but slower compared to without. Without game seems much faster. If i disable it and a player needs it is there a way to toggle it? I think off for me works fine, no screen tearin. Yet...

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:13 am

Leave it on. It greatly helps to regulate fps.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:00 am

VSync is very much essential for most people (and for the longest time was automatically applied by default - the option to turn it off is quite recent). In any case it shouldn't be an issue, as players have the option to disable VSync themselves in the Start Up Menu (providing you have that enabled).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:19 am

Lee wrote:VSync is very much essential for most people (and for the longest time was automatically applied by default - the option to turn it off is quite recent). In any case it shouldn't be an issue, as players have the option to disable VSync themselves in the Start Up Menu (providing you have that enabled).

I never use the startup menu i don't think it fits the game. Might request toggle events. Thank you.

Return to Technical Support Questions