Kingdom Quest

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
milleja46
001 Fanatic

Location: I think somewhere in the bad part of NYC or is it Charlotte?

Kingdom Quest

Postby milleja46 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 pm

It is your 8th birthday. The year in Argondon Kingdom when you are supposed to go to the Towers for training. The king calls you to the castle, but near the end of it the king's most trusted knight comes in and calls the king a fool and is banished. You never find out why this happened until after your training when the king sends out a urgent letter telling all knights and inviting you for a most urgent meeting in the throne room. But who will you become? Boy or girl? Mage, Knight, or Archer? By the way i know he is hovering i just wanted to show this and see what you guys think.

beginning

Talking to first npc
Last edited by milleja46 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a newbie still learning the basics apparently.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Kingdom Quest

Postby Fireleaf » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Ugh! Please change the appearance of that NPC. That's the basic "001 Bob." Nobody likes him. Rest of the game sounds interesting.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:43 pm

I know....but he is only going to appear at the beginning of the game and then you never see him again (unless you start over again)

I also did not know you guys invented a name for him :lol:

Hey guys please post reply i want your feedback on the screenshots and any tips you can give thx
Last edited by milleja46 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Sounds very decent.

Graphics: Just so you know, most players or gamers would like to play a game with interesting graphics then defaults, so if you would make this game based on defaults, you would probably get a low score, UNLESS, you boost this game top notch from scripting to huds. It's just an opinion. :]
Story: The story sounds good, but it also sounds very short. Can you spice it up alittle and draw a mysterious hint on the last sentence? For example, You never find out why this happened, until after your training-

-your instructor disappeared before handing you the mysterious gift.
-a strange maiden collaspes in front of you.
-a black hooded man transforms himself into a creature
-Mr. Numbers attack Scmitty as Ammohead runs away.
-dark clouds turn red as fire reign from the sky.

etc. Have fun. ;]

Hud: Too basic.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:49 pm

well serrafinna i was trying to add mp bar and exp bar still a work in progress. Also trying to find out how to change background for start up menu and enable it. Also trying to find out how to do a loading screen. You know when you choose the option to load and it shows you several slots. I have not been able to a.) figure it out b.)remember to ask someone

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 pm

That's fine. ;] I'm just looking at another point of view of what I see. I'm really just a newb when it comes to scripting, so I try to give my opinion to help you out. Hearing you say that you couldn't figure it out, helps me understand and I can wait. I'm a paitent girl. :]

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Probably when it comes out those features with loading on the start up menu will be disabled till i figure it out. Probably post a demo after castle is done. Which will take a little while and plus me a n00b!

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Heh, everything takes a while, as long as you don't stop, it doesn't matter. Just keep working hard, I know you'll get it eventually. :]

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Edited storyline you can't see the full story because that would give it away :lol:

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Decent enough for me, good job! ;]
Plus, I understand. I accidently read someone's spoilers, so that made me mad.

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:24 pm

milleja46 wrote:well serrafinna i was trying to add mp bar and exp bar still a work in progress. Also trying to find out how to change background for start up menu and enable it. Also trying to find out how to do a loading screen. You know when you choose the option to load and it shows you several slots. I have not been able to a.) figure it out b.)remember to ask someone

To create the start up menu create an interface, for the background create an object and set the effect as the desired image. To enable the menu on Introduction in System scripts add a change active interface event and hide the current one. For loading just add a load game event it has a list of slots.
Hope this helps
ImageImage

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:26 pm

thanks will try it after i fix generic boy. Which is the main character until you change to a girl(if you so wish but i have not started on her yet)

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:37 am

milleja46 wrote:Which will take a little while and plus me a n00b!

Bad excuse. At least you could add a few more decorations, possibly.

milleja46 wrote:thanks will try it after i fix generic boy. Which is the main character until you change to a girl(if you so wish but i have not started on her yet)

Can't be that hard, just find someone who does medieval clothes. And try to make the buildings and apparel more dull in color; the medieval people didn't have snazzy red and blue costumes. Maybe for the noblemen, yes, but I'm sure that isn't a nobleman's suit.
The story, as a matter of fact, the name of the game, sounds generic. Letter from the king, become a certain somebody, go on a long, unneccessary adventure and kill someone. I've heard it all.
What is the point? Is there a motive behind the king choosing you, behind you chasing after some evil baddie? Your plot has quite a few holes, maybe you can fill them up with some background information and some juicy bits here and there.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:12 pm

MIV wrote:
milleja46 wrote:Which will take a little while and plus me a n00b!

Bad excuse. At least you could add a few more decorations, possibly.

Stop picking on the new users. Seriously. He doesn't know every feature of the program and isn't an expert in game making. Don't expect everyone's game, especially their first one to be great. Just let him have fun making his game and learning the program. Try to take this rule into consideration, I'm really tired of having to go behind you to make sure you're not going overboard -

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001.

It should be a warning, considering the fact the we've told you about 7 times in warnings alone but I'm feeling rather nice today.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks for the tips probably won't have time today if i do i will try to get this stuff fixed. Then add other stuff probably release beta in the next 2-3 wks. If you guys have any more tips or recomendations plz post them. They would seriously help me.

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Zhuge wrote:It should be a warning, considering the fact the we've told you about 7 times in warnings alone but I'm feeling rather nice today.

Someone's in trouble :)

But he is right the title does need some work it doesn't make it sound interesting. Story needs work as well or maybe you don't want to give away any detais.
ImageImage

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:53 pm

No story changes that would give too much away

But any suggestions for name?

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:56 pm

I just really don't like the guy with the blue shorts and the red shirt. It seems to say that you put zero thought into that character. At least change the colors of his clothes/hair if nothing else. :roll:
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Well i really hadn't thought about changing him since you are really just going to see him once then never again unless new game is started. I also may just use(Removed link due to games section rules.) but i still want input because some of these names it comes up with are horrible. And if any questions this. Yes i looked at a previous topic a real :shock: i know

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:53 pm

I don't know that much about the story to make a suggestion but try something related to the main quest in the game, something mysterious and interesting.
ImageImage

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:26 pm

I will try to update the story. I just realized even to me it sounds like a peice of crap and that is pretty bad when the creator thinks that. :oops: :|

Here is the revised story for this game:
"The kingdom of Argondon requires you to be at least eight when you enter the Towers. The place where the wisest of each class train the few that actually select to protect the kingdom. You have turned eight and have chosen to go and train there. But will you choose to be a Mage, an archer, or Knight? Before you go the king calls you and several others to the castle to(with all of you there) thank you for choosing to help protect the kingdom, since less and less of you are coming to protect the kingdom. While there the king's most trusted knight barges in and kidnaps the princess(the king's daughter) and goes to the ruins in the south-east. After the knights chase him, but to no avail, the king sends you and the others to the Towers to train. But you must choose what you want to be. Soon after completing your training the king calls you back and asks you to bring the insane knight and his daughter knowing now that you and whoever may join you along the way are the only ones that may save her."

What do you guys think? And now what should the name be? Maybe this will fit Legend of the cursed Knight. No? Give me some ideas please i would like to have them if you don't think it fits
Last edited by milleja46 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

kcreddevil
001 Fanatic

Postby kcreddevil » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Sounds better but maybe a little older than 8 it sounds very unrealistic being 8 years old and having to do that.
Also maybe elaborate on how the knight kidnaps the princess maybe something like lie to her that the king asked him to take her somewhere and he kidnaps her and you see this and tell the king. Just an example because one knight being able to just walk in and take her doesn't seem realistic.

If the knight is cursed that does sound like a much better title for the game.
ImageImage

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:06 pm

I think that is what will happen when you defeat him later in the game. He will come to his senses and a flashback shall play.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:04 pm

milleja46 wrote:I think that is what will happen when you defeat him later in the game. He will come to his senses and a flashback shall play.

Nah, possibly not a flashback. But having a cursed knight does have opportunities to introduce yet another twist - perhaps someone controlling him, and even better if it is the king.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:16 pm

Sorry guys but this game is now on hold again. My laptop charger is messed up again :evil: . I will start work on it again when i get a new one. I had such high hopes to start working full speed on it too :( !

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:32 pm

Don't worry about full speed. Take your time, quality over speed. Work on those details that can guarantee you a good rating, for example graphics or scripts.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:04 pm

I know but i have not been working on like i have wanted to :( which really makes me wonder what my brain thinks. But as soon as the charger is fixed(for the 3rd time i might add). I really want to work on it harder than i have been. I am also posting info for my game on a site called the link is . But i am working on harder than i ever have soon as the new charger is in.
Last edited by Zhuge on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:06 pm

No outside links are allowed in this section.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Zhuge wrote:No outside links are allowed in this section.

I did not see that i just wanted to say that i was also putting stuff for this game on there. First not doing stuff right when more open areas when in de driving. But now i am forgeting to read. But why is that rule there? I don't see the problem when it is about our game. Why is it wrong? I know it is a rule, which should be followed but when it is about the game i see no problem.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:21 pm

It takes people away from this site to go to a blog about the same game you have posted here. :P
Just post your updates here instead. ;)

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 am

Well what i was trying to say when i posted the links is that i found a second way to get info about our games out(and mine). And was just trying to say it. Sorry if it offended.

I am wondering on how i can continue to work on this game even though i can't be on that computer? Since as it is there is no way to carry engine001 portably.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:44 am

Copy your project folder and put it on a computer that has 001 installed.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:38 pm

That would work on any computer but my school's because you have the my doc folder then you have to go a level deeper to get to that stuff. But hard to continue when the computer is dead until a new charger comes in. I love this software but it still has it's kinks like any other peice of software. And the saving is that feature.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

That's not a kink. :lol:
If you want to work on your 001 project, you need to be on a computer that has it - like any other program.
If you can't download it at school it's kind of obvious that you shouldn't be doing it there anyhow. :P

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:55 pm

I know but i finish early with any classwork most of the time. but because they can't simply configure it like a normal my doc folder because they have to make it overly complicated, i can't do this there until something a save as comes along and i can't suggest that since i am not a suscriber.
Last edited by milleja46 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Don't do that without Mike's permission please.
Also once again, no outside links. ;)

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:54 pm

edit:removed post
Last edited by milleja46 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Please stay on topic on your own topic. Using third party things like that with your game will not comply with our rules. You may use it on your own website, but you can't link to your website through this forum either.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:24 pm

I know but i had given up that idea long after i posted it. I should really delete it out of there.

Back on topic. Does anyone think my storyline needs some work or the name?

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 am

I do. Well, at least try working in-depth on the various subsections of the plot, e.g. the beginning, the climax, the ending. Try to think about it more; logically would a player want to go on an entire journey just to finish off one objective, or would it be more logical just to go to the final boss unless there's something preventing you from doing so?
Place yourself in multiple perspectives; mainly the few main characters you plan to use for this game. Develop their emotional aspects; don't leave them as bland, ordinary characters. Instill in them a unique personality that cannot be replicated by other characters in the game. Is the king a coward, or a little nutty? Is your primary character an adept, bloodthirsty fighter, or a timid but knowledgable scholar? You decide.
Also, graphic-wise, try to get a few guys to help you out. If you need any resources, feel free to ask, or request permission to use others'. Surely someone can come up with something decent.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks MIV for that vivid descripition of what i need. I know about graphics but graphics would have to be in the same style as the sprites. Which i am using these:
Hiker.png
Hiker one NPC character i am trying to use.
Hiker.png (9.3 KiB) Viewed 608 times
This is going to take awhile but still can't do it at school. Even though i don't know when servers will be back up. We had a power outage earlier but it came back on.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Think I've seen that one before somewhere... and for tiles try basing your designs off the RPG Maker's graphics, they might suit your sprites. Look carefully at how the polygons and colors are integrated, and sooner or later it won't be too hard to replicate them. In your worst case scenario, rip them, but mind you that isn't recommended.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

milleja46
001 Fanatic

Postby milleja46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 am

Yeah but the easiest thing since i am not an artist. It would take me to long to draw everything i need.

Last bumped by milleja46 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 am.

Return to Games In Progress