Worst Games Ever

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Worst Games Ever

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:01 pm

I kind of wanted to start a compilation of the worst games ever created. I'll start with a recent title: Ride To Hell: Retribution. You know, that Biker game that got canned, then revived, then canned again, then brutally resuscitated with a bolt of lightning and stitched together again like a Human Centipede? What's that? You never heard of it before a few weeks ago when it got the lowest Metacritic score of any game current available on Steam? Yeah, kind of the same with me.

It's almost captivating how shockingly bad this game actually is.

Then we can talk about Mindjack, a mindnumbing third person shooter so incredibly broken that just mentioning its existence causes Xboxes to quiver in fear across the country.

This is going to be a fun thread, I can tell.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Worst Games Ever

Postby Zhuge » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:09 pm

Wait? That isn't even a budget priced title?

Oh god. No excuses for that one. :P

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 pm

Ride to Hell is a $30 title, and Mindjack can be found in any bargain bin for 5 bucks because it's been out for a while and everyone realized that it was the worst thing ever. At least back in 2011. Now honestly I don't know between the two.

Firestar
001 Enthusiast

Postby Firestar » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Obviously I could say Big Rigs, because that game was just terrible, however I'm going to go a little with an opinion that not many think...

Firstly I'll say Lair on PS3. That title was terrible, its control scheme really put me off playing and it was so laggy for me as well oh lord. Its one game in my collection I haven't completed the Controls were that bad ¬_¬

However now my unpopular opinion...Skyrim. Now don't get me wrong, its a good time killer for murdering innocents for fun and shouting random words like you have a severe mental illness, but the story was abysmal! If you don't have it in the Elder Scrolls series it may be considered a good game, but when you compare it to the likes of Oblivion it seems like it was thrown together and not thought through very well. Yes there is a lot of land to explore which granted I didn't do, but with such a game you need a strong storyline which in my opinion it lacked so bloody much.
Check out my YouTube channel Names_Pending

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:55 pm

I agree that Skyrim's main story line sucked. Big time. And it was way too short. After the final battle I thought "Okay cool, now the story starts rolling" until I saw the credits. Seriously, I think the developers spent three years creating the world and everything and 6 months before the deadline the realized they had forgotten about the story. But that's it. The rest is great. Gameplay is much better than in Oblivion, though I had wished for less hand holding. Also, most of the side story lines were really good, often better (and longer) than the main plot. And that's what kept me playing.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:00 pm

While I don't think Skyrim is one of the -worst- games ever, it is definitely one of the most overrated, overhyped, and blandest games I've ever played. :P
I've already ranted about this many times before (see Skyrim's official topic, and a few random chat thread posts), so for the sake of getting straight to the point, the gameplay itself has been too "casualized" for my tastes.
The environment is plain and boring (which it could be argued that Skyrim is supposed to be plain and boring), exploring is basically a butterfly and herb gathering simulator, with the occasional wolf or bandit to mix things up; the quests and caves have barely any variation (yes, caves in Oblivion also suffered this problem, but to a lesser extent than Skyrim -- besides, a sequel is supposed to be an -improvement-); you fight the same handful of enemies throughout the game, none of which are difficult, aside from intentionally unbalanced enemies, like ice devils, giants, and ice mages (why does ice spike exist?); the magic system has been diluted terribly -- even they didn't want to keep in custom spellmaking for the sake of "balance" (which is already non-existent), there could have been way more spell variation; and lastly, the world is completely unresponsive -- your actions have zero noticeable impact on anything. For instance, after completing the civil war, everyone still goes on as if the war is still happening. I'm not sure why they skipped over such an important mechanic in a "role-playing game" (using the term loosely).
But it's the last point that gets me. I could forgive all the gameplay issues if the world wasn't so dead. The lack of response from the NPCs kills any sense of immersion for me. It was easy for me to get lost in Oblivion, I actually felt a connection to my character. Skyrim doesn't have that -- I see my character as nothing but a list of skill trees and fetch quests. While the new animations may make the world seem more lively than before (NPCs woodcutting, forging, etc), it lacks the depth that is needed to keep me interested in it.
I think the only issue that has been fixed since my original rant was the unbalance that forging brought to the loot system (though artifacts are still worthless compared to player made weapons). On the story front, the main storyline, companions, and civil war all suck. I haven't tried the others because, well... I had already given up on the game by the time I finished those.
Okay, that post was a bit longer than I thought it would be, heh. I also left out the removal of statistics / skill trees, but I really don't feel like continuing the rant, at least not in this thread.
But to sum it up, I wish I didn't pay $60 dollars for it. I usually don't buy games on day one/week one, and Skyrim has made sure that this is a mistake I won't make again in the future. :P

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Alright. I just quit playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. After about 2 hours. Though it is not actually the worst game I ever touched, it really, really sucks. Adopting the name XCOM is a bad joke, as it has nothing to do (in terms of gameplay) with either the original classics nor the awesome remake from 2012. Sadly, it sounded really fun: Third person shooter action with tactical elements, squad based gameplay, team management, multiple side missions etc. I like that kind of stuff.

So what's the problem?
1. Well, for a shooter, the controls are too sluggish. The main character moves slowly and the cover system isn't really thought through well (sprinting and taking cover is mapped to the same button, so from time to time when you sprint near a wall the main guy, Agent Carter, will go to cover, which can be really annoying. On the other hand, when you need to take cover quickly, you first have to move, then hold sprint/cover to go into cover. Other games do this much better)
2. The tactics menu doesn't respond well, especially with gamepad controls. Also, placing objectives for your AI comrades is really stupid: Say you want one of your guys to move behind a wall on the other side of the battlefield, then take cover under a window. Simply move the "Move to" objective marker? Nope. The marker get's stuck on walls and other obstacles, so you really have to "walk" the stupid beacon around every obstacle in order to place it. Why? I don't know. This wouldn't be such problem if the game was paused because you would have enough time to sort out everything. But no, the game continues in slow motion while you are in tactical mode. So once you're done giving orders the whole situation might have changed completely.
3. The AI of your comrades. While they follow your orders without hesitation or problems, they continue their stupid behaviour after this. It happened more than once to me that I ordered one of my mates to sprint to cover, and after he did that he just went back to expose himself to full enemy fire. And believe me, death is swift. A few hit's and they are on the ground, where they can be revived - when you are fast enough, because most of the time they just bleed out in like 10 seconds, and also expose anyone who wants to revive them to the enemy.
4. The enemies have WAY too many hit points. Even the unarmored, small sectoids (the same that we see in XCOM: Enemy Unknown) can easily take a few shots straight to the head from a M1 Carbine rifle. And these are the easiest, smallest enemies you will encounter. The armored, humanoid soldiers consume one or two mags from a sub machine gun as if it were paintball shots. That's what I call balancing...
5. There are guns and ammo to pick up every 10 meters on the battlefield, so resource conservation is no issue at all. This was probably done to counter the huge wastage of ammunition. On the first two (of four) difficulty levels you can even "hire" new comrades in the middle of a combat (easiest level) or after each battle. Lame.
6. The levels are extremely linear. You're basically drawn through a narrow hose with little to no freedom and unrealistically placed obstacles (big crates in the middle of a street on university campus blocking the small road to the left? Yeah, sure...) until you reach one of the small but relatively open combat zones that either have a set amount of enemies to defeat or just spawn new enemies right in front of you until you have defeated the leader that is teleporting them onto the field).
7. It's buggy. You order a comrade to use one of his special abilities? Well fuck you, from now on he will glow as if you were still in tactical mode and won't respond to anything anymore. Not even to enemy fire :D
8. It's laggy. I experienced extreme frame rate drops and stuttering (that boosts your crosshair around the screen by the way, making it impossible to aim) in most combat situations, while sometimes it runs perfectly smooth. I played on PC by the way, but my hardware should not be the problem.

All this adds up to an extremely annoying experience and I feel sad for the great XCOM franchise. Don't buy this game. It's a waste of time and money.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:53 pm

The irony of Skyrim being casual is, I dunno, gaming is really mainstream now. Gaming used to be about being innovative and exploring just how complex it could be, but now it's going in the opposite direction - going casual - because the market is simply bigger and it sells.

TES was never good at telling stories, as with most western RPGs. If you want story, play eastern RPGs instead.

Back on topic though. I know that the Might and Magic series are considered really good, and I don't doubt them on it. I just had a terrible experience, as I've tried two from the series and neither had a tutorial and I got lost and died really easily. I want to get into it because of the HoMM series that I love so much, but...
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Scaveleon wrote:TES was never good at telling stories, as with most western RPGs. If you want story, play eastern RPGs instead.

Definitely not Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout, etc, etc.

SBG wrote:

My ears. ;_;

DoctorKarnage
001 Fanatic

Postby DoctorKarnage » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Firestar wrote:Obviously I could say Big Rigs, because that game was just terrible,.

I'm probably going to sound like a total nutcase when I say this, But I actually really enjoy playing Big Rigs because of how hilariously broken everything is. :lol:

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm

er, crazybus is a freeware homebrew game, i dont think it was ment to be a game really :/

and with bethesda, the only game i felt "imerged" in was fallout 3, the first time i played was amazing :D
probaly because i enjoyed the real world references and lore a LOT more than tes.

on topic, action 52 deserves a high spot on the list, due to being sold for over 100 bucks for a glitchy mess.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Firestar wrote:Obviously I could say Big Rigs, because that game was just terrible, however I'm going to go a little with an opinion that not many think...

I honestly don't understand how the developers could've thought that Big Rigs was a game suitable for release. There's no attempt whatsoever to create realistic physics, no collision detection on solid objects, you can glitch out of the racing track with little effort, there's terrible AI, with the "You're Winner!" victory screen to top it all off. Of course, I imagine it's still funny just to play for the lulz.

There's a terrible video game that my friend told me about called "Ninjabread Man". I don't know too much about it, but apparently it got absolutely abysmal scores on multiple gaming websites due to the gameplay sucking and the controls being unbearable.
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Darkvoid wrote:I honestly don't understand how the developers could've thought that Big Rigs was a game suitable for release. There's no attempt whatsoever to create realistic physics, no collision detection on solid objects, you can glitch out of the racing track with little effort, there's terrible AI, with the "You're Winner!" victory screen to top it all off. Of course, I imagine it's still funny just to play for the lulz.

There wasn't any AI whatsoever at launch. Opponent vehicles would sit at the starting line and never move. There's also no walls bordering the edge of the track; you can drive right off into the void.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Darkvoid wrote:
Firestar wrote:Obviously I could say Big Rigs, because that game was just terrible, however I'm going to go a little with an opinion that not many think...

I honestly don't understand how the developers could've thought that Big Rigs was a game suitable for release. There's no attempt whatsoever to create realistic physics, no collision detection on solid objects, you can glitch out of the racing track with little effort, there's terrible AI, with the "You're Winner!" victory screen to top it all off. Of course, I imagine it's still funny just to play for the lulz.

There's a terrible video game that my friend told me about called "Ninjabread Man". I don't know too much about it, but apparently it got absolutely abysmal scores on multiple gaming websites due to the gameplay sucking and the controls being unbearable.

i think you gave them too much credit... i beleve that they were well aware that the game was not fit to sell, but they just did not care... if even one person bought it, it would be some money for them,

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 pm

If you're going to eat a glass of water, why wouldn't you eat the salt first? :(

Return to General Discussion