Computer Nerds

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Computer Nerds

Postby Ammohead » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Well if you dont already know, I'm a certified computer technition and I can help with any issues you maay have on your computer. HOwever this discussion is to talk about your current system, your dream system, and or what your building.

Once apon a time Ammohead had a dell dimension 8200:

Intel pentium 4 1.9GHz
1GB RDRAM
160GB IDE HDD
Nvidia Geforce mx/mx 400 32MB
17" CRT Monitor
Dell ball mouse

Then recently...well I obtained a little beast. Acer Aspire 7560-7183
AMD A6 3420m Quad core 2.4GHz
4GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6520G
750GB SATA HDD
17.3" LED Screen
Te sports theron 5700 dpi laser mouse ($60 gameing mouse -_- )

So yeah that was a huge leap from what I had. I'm playing newer games and everything just fine.
"Life can get hard, but what I've learned is that, it gets better...Far better. Fall down, become wounded, and you'll be immune to the next situation. Hardtimes are like a pistol, you throw out one and another is right back in the chamber" -Timmy (Ammo)

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Re: Computer Nerds

Postby Not Me » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

I totally forget my processor speed, but...
Intel Celeron
Somewhere between 220 and 230 RAM, it changes every time I look at it.
40 GB HDD, not sure what type.
Intel Graphics chipset *random numbers here*
No clue how big my screen is, but it's LED.
A wireless usb mouse of some sort.

The other day, I figured out how to allow for a larger swapfile (or whatever XP calls it). I changed it from a maximum of 426 MB to 2 GB. Minecraft is almost playable now! :D

It's kinda embarrassing, I was looking around the other day and found cubieboard. It's hilarious how powerful it is compared to my laptop. :razz:
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm currently using:
Intel Core i5-2500k 3.30Ghz x4
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gb vram
VIA HD Audio Deck
8gb DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
39" Westinghouse 1080p LED HDTV for a computer monitor

My dream machine:
IBM Aptiva C33
155 mhz processor
16mb RAM
2gb hard rive
ATI RAGE II graphics processor
Windows 95 PLUS!
And the software bundle that came with it circa 1995/96 in mint condition.

That was the first real desktop computer I ever had, and I would give anything to have it again, mostly for the software package in the flip book. It's on my bucket list to own this stuff before I die, and I'm willing to pay thousands of dollars to have it.

This guy has it but he won't sell it to me. But here's a physical view of my dream machine plus the software pack that makes it so special:
Last edited by SBG on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:04 pm

You should build your own machine Ammo! About 70% the price and 120% the power.

i5-2500k @ 4.2 GHz
8GB DDR3 @ 1600
EVGA SC GTX 465
120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
2 TB WD Black HDD
Siberian V2 White Headset
Cyborg R.A.T 7 mouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard
Razer Vespula mousepad
32 inch SCEPTER TV, 1360x768 (Personally not what I would have gotten, but it was a x-mas present).

I'm looking at building a new computer when the next generation of tech hits. Thinking about giving it a $2,000 budget. For comparison, the above computer is about $800 (Not including drives/gear. I'll re-use those)

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Ah, my wonderful older computer :P

4 gb ram (DDR2)
500 gb hdd
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.10ghz
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Generic HP keyboard (With various media functions)
Microsoft wireless mobile 4000 mouse
40" sony LEDTV
Sound system is wired into two amps, one to power my sub and another to power my surround sound :D Shaking the house ftw :P
I also have a set of wireless sony headphones, idk what brand they are and shet - I know sony don't make the BEST sound stuffs, but they were a present and they work alright xD

Dream computer? Ehh, lets just give it about another few years then get the top of the line stoofs :P
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Currently I've got a Dell Inspiron Laptop:
Intel i3-2310M 2.1Ghz
nVidia GT 525M 1GB DDR3 (and the Intel HD 3000)
8GB DDR3 RAM @1333
500GB 7200RPM HDD
Windows 8 Pro x64 (and Windows 7 Home Premium, dual booting but almost never use 7)
15.6" 1366x768 Screen

I'd like to build my own desktop for the power and all, but I don't really have the space for on in my room. I'd have to buy a monitor and keyboard too, so I possibly might just get a MSI Laptop later in the year to carry me over through till Uni is over and I've got a fulltime job and have moved out :P
Not entirely sure though, this one's still lasting and I could probably get by with it but you know.... The wireless card does seem to be a bit strange, it sometimes loses internet access to my modem - it's connected but it gets a yellow exclamation and says no internet access -. Resetting the card (via diagnostics) normally fixes it, so I guess it probably is the card rather than my modem.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Got an Asus G75VW for around $1500 recently. It's a beast, at least, compared to my last laptop. It's been good to me so far. The only complaints I have with it are the sound controls were a bit funky to start with. It has a subwoofer, as well as normal speakers. But the sub didn't get turned down when the speakers did, so it would still play sound even if the volume was at none. It also reverts the sound to the speakers if you have headphones plugged in but don't play anything for about five minutes, which can be annoying (although I think I fixed this with a driver update). The other issue I have with it is the power plug for it is goddamn huge.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 - 3610QM @ 2.3GHZ
6x Blue-ray optical drive (yay)
12GB DDR3, can upgrade it to 16GB
Windows 7 64-Bit (one of the last models to have it before the big swap to 8 )
500GB HDD. Well, it's supposed to be 500GB. I have two HDDs, one of which is 195GB with the OS, the other is 245GB. Altogether, it's 440GB... I kind of get the feeling that they put the wrong drives in, as I know HDDs aren't always exactly the sizes they're advertised as, but 60GBs is a bit too much to be off by.
VIA HD Audio (pain in the ass sound card)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M (Could have had the 670M, but it was like $300 more expensive, and those models didn't come with the blue-ray drive). Plays Battlefield, Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Chivalry on High/Ultra settings.

So yeah, quite pleased. People asked me why I didn't get a more powerful desktop for roughly the same price/cheaper. Basically I don't have the room for the desktop, and I prefer the mobility of the laptop.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 pm

The thing with the HDD, it very well could be because the system was pre-setup to have a hidden backup/restore partition. Though I will agree 60gb is quite a bit to be missing :P

And wth, theres already DDR5? Dam I'm a wee bit behind :P Anyways, it is a pretty dam nice laptop for sure ;)
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm

It's DDR3 :P DDR4 releases later this year. Video cards use GDDR5, but it's different

Also, gamerdude, remember that when you buy an OEM machine, it comes with a recovery partition of about 20GB, so you can quickly restore to factory defaults.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Whoops, yeah, I got mixed up with the graphics card. The graphics card has GDDR5, the laptop is DDR3 :P My bad. Not quite as tech savvy as I thought.

Deedasmi wrote:Also, gamerdude, remember that when you buy an OEM machine, it comes with a recovery partition of about 20GB, so you can quickly restore to factory defaults.

That still leaves about 40GB unaccounted for. And really, I would have preferred to have one 500GB hard drive, rather than two, not-even-300GB drives.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm

40GB is right about normal for that size what is missing. Also, there is only one hard drive in there, it's just split into two partitions. You can "fix" it if you re-install.

For example, my 2 TB drive (4 times larger) is only 1.76 TB usable.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Oh awesome. Here I was thinking it was two separate drives. I guess I can get another drive now (it has room for two physical drives). Maybe an SSD...

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Gamerdude wrote:Got an Asus G75VW for around $1500 recently. It's a beast, at least, compared to my last laptop. It's been good to me so far. The only complaints I have with it are the sound controls were a bit funky to start with. It has a subwoofer, as well as normal speakers. But the sub didn't get turned down when the speakers did, so it would still play sound even if the volume was at none. It also reverts the sound to the speakers if you have headphones plugged in but don't play anything for about five minutes, which can be annoying (although I think I fixed this with a driver update). The other issue I have with it is the power plug for it is goddamn huge.

Specs:
500GB HDD. Well, it's supposed to be 500GB. I have two HDDs, one of which is 195GB with the OS, the other is 245GB. Altogether, it's 440GB... I kind of get the feeling that they put the wrong drives in, as I know HDDs aren't always exactly the sizes they're advertised as, but 60GBs is a bit too much to be off by.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M (Could have had the 670M, but it was like $300 more expensive, and those models didn't come with the blue-ray drive). Plays Battlefield, Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Chivalry on High/Ultra settings.

So yeah, quite pleased. People asked me why I didn't get a more powerful desktop for roughly the same price/cheaper. Basically I don't have the room for the desktop, and I prefer the mobility of the laptop.

Thats my dream laptop! My buddy has the same one, its a boss! I'm suprissed its only a 500GB HDD usually the G75's have 1TB HDD. It must be a hybrid drive or a 7200 RPM
"Life can get hard, but what I've learned is that, it gets better...Far better. Fall down, become wounded, and you'll be immune to the next situation. Hardtimes are like a pistol, you throw out one and another is right back in the chamber" -Timmy (Ammo)

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Might be 7200 RPM. I think it was more expensive for the 1TB, and that drive wasn't as fast.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 am

Gamerdude wrote:Got an Asus G75VW for around $1500 recently. It's a beast, at least, compared to my last laptop. It's been good to me so far. The only complaints I have with it are the sound controls were a bit funky to start with. It has a subwoofer, as well as normal speakers. But the sub didn't get turned down when the speakers did, so it would still play sound even if the volume was at none. It also reverts the sound to the speakers if you have headphones plugged in but don't play anything for about five minutes, which can be annoying (although I think I fixed this with a driver update). The other issue I have with it is the power plug for it is goddamn huge.

Specs:

That is a friggin beast. Way more powerful than this battleship I have sitting next to me, and yours fits in your lap. I couldn't imagine taking that much computing power with me anywhere I wanted to go.

/jealousy

Also I agree about the soundcard. I have the same one. It works for basic stuff, and does surprisingly well for stuff like heavy midi sequencing and mixing, but mine showed it's true colors when I plugged a usb vocal mic in. The performance didn't fall or anything, but it just doesn't play any sound when that mic is plugged in. It records fine, but what's the point of recording anything if you can't have playback while recording? Or even when your not recording... Sound just doesn't output when that USB mic is plugged in, and that is crap.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:10 am

It's 3kg, so you wouldn't want it in your lap too long :P

But yeah, the sound card is nasty. Apparently I can't use any drivers with it except the ones it wants (which rarely work).

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: AW: Computer Nerds

Postby kerub » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:46 am

Deedasmi wrote:40GB is right about normal for that size what is missing. Also, there is only one hard drive in there, it's just split into two partitions. You can "fix" it if you re-install.

For example, my 2 TB drive (4 times larger) is only 1.76 TB usable.

Actually, nothing is "missing". Windows counts one megabyte as 1024 kilobyte, where it actually is only 1000 kilobyte or 1024 kibibyte. All manufacturers name the correct size, windows just calculates it wrong. This issue dates back to the old DOS ages where the distinction between kilobyte and kibibyte wasn't made yet and everyone was thinking in binary terms. This was changed in 1996 to keep the original meaning of kilo and mega etc.

So all in all, for a disk size of one terabyte, you have about 10% less memory in windows because the calculation is outdated.

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Your exactly right. It's because of the 8 bits equals one byte equation.

00000000= 1 byte
I got the binary numbers drilled in my head. -_-

Return to General Discussion