Sprite off in interface by 1 pixel

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Mage42

Sprite off in interface by 1 pixel

Postby Mage42 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:23 am

My sprite (640x480) is off by 1 pixel from the bottom when testing in a maximised window. The interface is called Water Effect, the sprite is called Water Tunnel. When looking at the interface in-editor the sprite is not off. The sprite settings are correct and the image is exactly 640x480, the same size as the screen resoultion. Now if you test my game, maximise the window and jump into some water, the tunnel vision interface will turn on. Now you will see at the bottom of the tunnel vision sprite that it is off by 1 Pixel.

I have done everything possible from my skills of using 001 to fix this issue. The sprite in the editor is 640x480, set to Face X, Smooth Scaling DISABLED. Node position is 0, 0, 0
Attachments
untitled.PNG
Last edited by Mage42 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Sprite off in interface by 1 pixel

Postby Mr.Numbers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:45 am

Instead of using overlay why not try using Face X? I think thats what works for interfaces. Its possibly the overlay option causing weirdness.

As well, you may want to ensure the field is exactly in the proper position by checking the co-ordinates in the fields window (May have accidently moved it with the pointer tool one pixel upwards with the snap to grid disabled)

You can also offset the image using the sequencer by one pixel, although this shouldn't be necessary.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 am

Mr.Numbers wrote:Instead of using overlay why not try using Face X? I think thats what works for interfaces. Its possibly the overlay option causing weirdness.

As well, you may want to ensure the field is exactly in the proper position by checking the co-ordinates in the fields window (May have accidently moved it with the pointer tool one pixel upwards with the snap to grid disabled)

You can also offset the image using the sequencer by one pixel, although this shouldn't be necessary.

Position: 320, 240, 0 (Centered correct on interface). I also set the sprite to Face X yet the issue still occurs.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:34 am

Put a field on the interface that shows you the screen size as text. Might be that the game window is too big by 1 pixel.

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:38 am

Gamerdude wrote:Put a field on the interface that shows you the screen size as text. Might be that the game window is too big by 1 pixel.

Sorry if i did it wrong. This is checking Screen X and Screen Y
Attachments
untitled.PNG

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 pm

That should be right. What resolution is your game set to in game settings?

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Gamerdude wrote:That should be right. What resolution is your game set to in game settings?

640x480. The sprite is also 640x480

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 am

Oh I just saw that it happens when you maximize the window. I'm not sure what the issue is then unfortunately. Perhaps try increasing the height of the sprite by 1 and see if that covers it when the window is maximized.

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 am

Gamerdude wrote:Oh I just saw that it happens when you maximize the window. I'm not sure what the issue is then unfortunately. Perhaps try increasing the height of the sprite by 1 and see if that covers it when the window is maximized.

So you recommend i alter the image by 1 pixel in height? That then would be mean the image overlaps the interface in the editor by 1 pixel making it look out of place in-editor. It also means my other overlays that are designed to fit the interfaces will also overlap by 1 pixel. I don't see why i have to make all my images 1 pixel off to compensate? As i stated the image fits perfectly in-editor and and ingame but only is off by 1 pixel when maximising. So clearly my image is setup correctly and the right size (From the best of my knowledge)

I'm not trying to make arguements here, not a flame argument anyway but a valid argument, maybe. I don't see why i should make a work around that makes it worse in-editor.

Once again not trying to start a flame argument, it's how i see it. Thanks.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am

Nah it's all good. I just didn't have any other suggestions, thought that might be the easiest thing to do if it only happened to this one field. If it happens to others, obviously that solution isn't suitable. I don't know what else to suggest unfortunately. Perhaps see if it happens in another project and if it does, it at least means it's not project specific and you can send a bug report.

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am

Gamerdude wrote:Nah it's all good. I just didn't have any other suggestions, thought that might be the easiest thing to do if it only happened to this one field. If it happens to others, obviously that solution isn't suitable. I don't know what else to suggest unfortunately. Perhaps see if it happens in another project and if it does, it at least means it's not project specific and you can send a bug report.

I submitted a bug report earlier today. I just tested this in a new project and it seems to happen in any project you create. Hopefully this will get looked into via the bug report. Sorry if i came off agitated in anyway, i was not trying to start anything. Thanks for the help.

Return to Technical Support Questions