A games' infinite playability

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
rikuto148
Distinguished 001 Member

A games' infinite playability

Postby rikuto148 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:53 pm

So i was wondering what others thought made a game re-playable? I definitely understand multiple paths and endings. Also main quests and sub quests and sub quests for your sub quests lol.

Also i was doing some philosophizing about a game that is infinitely playable and i dont mean restarting the game i mean the gamer continuing to play one save file. And what i was thinking was that the world would be constantly evolving.
For example WoW has this but the problem is that there are level caps and i just get bored after a while because its the same old quest over and over again.
wow.jpg

Same thing with gta after the missions its fun to play around and explore but again you get bored of that.
gta-iv-final-box-art-wall.jpg

I actually think oblivion is on the verge of this but i still stop playing for some reason.
oblivion2.gif

What would have to happen is a way to make the quests not seem like the same old thing but still appeal to people who enjoy this,
quests would have to be new and fresh,
possibly user created content like g-mod or little big planet
LittleBigPlanetOfficialUKBoxArt.png
LittleBigPlanetOfficialUKBoxArt.png (190.66 KiB) Viewed 3342 times

letting in game characters(npcs) evolve and change and new characters be born possibly a sort of random mixing of parents "genes" to create things the developers never envisioned like the dragons in skyrim(the free scripting not the born part)
Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim.jpg

i also believe a game needs a socialization aspect to it as well, if its a online game then other people would take that place like second life for example
secondlife.JPG
or if it was offline could a complex npc take that place?

So what would be needed? A expansive and beautiful world filled with user created quests that are always fun to play and exploration. The evolution of each character throught the game and things that are unscripted and are not programed to do a certain thing every time.

I definitely know this type of game would be devastating to gaming companies unless it was a thing like wow with maybe a economy that aloud for other comapnies to come into the game and get involved some way or another.

Honestly this to me sounds like something that can only happen in the far future with total immersion into the gaming world.

So what do people think of this? I would love to hear your opinions =)
I will draw up characters items: clothes ect... Just pm me with the item and a decscripion or picture =)
[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: A games' infinite playability

Postby Zhuge » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:25 pm

If you can get past the bugs, Daggerfall. Though, the quest and character graphics do get old damn near immediately; The locations change, and the people's names are always different - so I guess it is infinitely re-playable. Any game with mods, or that can be modified is infinitely re-playable.

sonic swordmaster
001 Fanatic

Postby sonic swordmaster » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:10 pm

original stroyline, completely original.
A world with charm and character not just good graphics

A game that I've played over and over again is chrono trigger, chrono cross, and The legend of zelda a link to the past.

But the most important thing is a story that makes feel like you have to continue to see what happens next.
Dragged down into the ocean of oblivion

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Check out X3: Terran Conflict. It's the most open-ended game ever created, though it's not for everyone. There's a serious learning curve to it, and you actually have to have an attention span to play it, a pretty strong one at that.

rikuto148
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby rikuto148 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Zhuge wrote:If you can get past the bugs, Daggerfall. Though, the quest and character graphics do get old damn near immediately; The locations change, and the people's names are always different - so I guess it is infinitely re-playable. Any game with mods, or that can be modified is infinitely re-playable.

yeah i tried daggerfall but the restricted movement annoyed me so i gave up, and i agree i do that with oblivion.

sonic swordmaster wrote:original stroyline, completely original.
A world with charm and character not just good graphics

A game that I've played over and over again is chrono trigger, chrono cross, and The legend of zelda a link to the past.

But the most important thing is a story that makes feel like you have to continue to see what happens next.

The story is the most important part, and unfortunetly alot of rpg's follow the same thing over and over, i mean i understand they are only doing what sells but still. I think what needs to happen more is storytellers and authors need to get hired by the game industry to write for their games and provide inspiration.
Hmm ill have to try thoes games.
Making a story continue on and want to know whats next works for a certain while but once you beat the main boss the story ends. Idk maybe its impossible to make a never ending game?

SBG wrote:Check out X3: Terran Conflict. It's the most open-ended game ever created, though it's not for everyone. There's a serious learning curve to it, and you actually have to have an attention span to play it, a pretty strong one at that.

i did look at that before when you mentioned it somewhere, Im very confused as to what it is? Is it a online game, like eve online?
I will draw up characters items: clothes ect... Just pm me with the item and a decscripion or picture =)

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Nah it's not multiplayer, but it doesn't need to be. It's basically a space flight simulator rpg. There is quite literally an entire universe to explore and conquer. You'll either love it or hate it though.

sonic swordmaster
001 Fanatic

Postby sonic swordmaster » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:47 pm

@ rikito148 Infanite replayabillity and an endless game are two different things. The only game I could really think of that could be considered endless would be life simulators and maybe WOW. I also can't stand the lack of originality in modern RPG's They'd rather make a quick buck instead of making a masterpiece. If done right a video game can be piece of art that can surpass both books and movies. However the games I mentioned are games that you might find your self beating over and over again.
Dragged down into the ocean of oblivion

rikuto148
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby rikuto148 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:25 pm

hmm im gonna try that x3, and chrono trigger.

So do you guys think this type of thing is possible in the future?

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 pm

I really like games with lots of replay value, a game has to make me come back to it. Make me miss playing it.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is, in my opinion, the king of this. It won't result in you only having one save file(unlike what you asked for). There's tons of things to do. First, there's 5-6 campaigns in the original, and 2 expansions that add about 12 campaigns. Plenty of scenarios as well as online play. And lastly, a random map generator. While this may not result in you playing the same save over and over, I'd still say it has plenty of replay value.

Mount&Blade is also really great, with one of the most skilled modding communites as well, and it's got multiplayer now. Although you'll have multiple saves if you play multiple mods - However, you can use the same import/export character stats so you can play them in different mods if you'd like. Either way, you can play on the same save all the time. While it is possible to reach an ultimate goal in the game, it takes an extreme amount of time to get there.

You can't hang on to only one game, there's always an end to it. There's plenty of great games out there to play and you'll switch back and forth between your favorites.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

priest865
001 Subscriber

Postby priest865 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:49 am

Totally agree with you about HOMM 3. However I think unfinite playability is only possible if the gamers can also add content themselves. Games like Spore have a good approach on the one hand but on the other hand just aren't good with the gameplay. STO with it's Foundry and after lots of patches is quite enjoyable but is still missing something. However infinite playability also depends on the type of player not only of the game type and game mechanics. A Trekkie maybe could claim STO is infinite replayable and the same goes for Spore-fans. My brother for sure can't count anymore how many hours or days he played fifa. I can't even double click on the symbol. For me are sports meant to be done in nature and not on a computer. So basically for my brother fifa has infinite playability and replayability and for me tha game isn't even playable.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:24 pm

You mod Oblivion up, it becomes the single longest game you will ever play. I have over 200+ mods for my Oblivion, counting SI, KOTN, and all nine DLC packs. My last character got to 140 hours, and I only completed half of the content.
And to be honest, I did NOTHING but quest. No dungeons or splorin' aside from when I'm supposed to because it's quest-related, (though that changed when I downloaded OOO.)

Raisrviln
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Raisrviln » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:29 pm

Oblivion mods for the win!
but still gets boring after while.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Yes, it does. So I'm playing MW2 right now.

Raisrviln
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Raisrviln » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Dude which reminds me i cant wait for mw3. so getting that for xbox360!

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Location: I either live in eastern North Carolina, or I am a very, very lost person.

Postby tower07 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:21 pm

As a Game Designer, I think what truly makes a game infinitely re-playable is that each time you play you don't know what will happen. A game with a sort of flux to it, One with many random parameters to it. Take Minecraft for example. The worlds in the game are massive, and each one is generated completely random. So each time you start a new game you have no idea where you will be and what is around you.

Another aspect of infinite re-playability is being able to move on and do things at your own pace. A good example of this is the Legend of Zelda series. You have a set goal, But you don't have to go strait to it. You can play around, go find heart containers, or go whack chickens.

Modding also brings literally limitless capabilities, Because the player can directly change the game in whatever way he wants, As long as he has the know-how.

So maybe the most re-playable game would be one that allows you to do what you want when you want how you want, A randomly generated world and entities, And complete modding support, without having to know how to code. Maybe developers will make this kind of game one day.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:42 am

tower07 wrote:As a Game Designer, I think what truly makes a game infinitely re-playable is that each time you play you don't know what will happen. A game with a sort of flux to it, One with many random parameters to it. Take Minecraft for example. The worlds in the game are massive, and each one is generated completely random. So each time you start a new game you have no idea where you will be and what is around you.

Another aspect of infinite re-playability is being able to move on and do things at your own pace. A good example of this is the Legend of Zelda series. You have a set goal, But you don't have to go strait to it. You can play around, go find heart containers, or go whack chickens.

Modding also brings literally limitless capabilities, Because the player can directly change the game in whatever way he wants, As long as he has the know-how.

So maybe the most re-playable game would be one that allows you to do what you want when you want how you want, A randomly generated world and entities, And complete modding support, without having to know how to code. Maybe developers will make this kind of game one day.

The early elder scrolls games did that. A lot of dungeons and land were already generated.

Chowow
001 Admirer

Postby Chowow » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 am

I don't like games that you never get bored of. I like real life too much. :D
Thanks for reading this post. :)
"There are only two ways to live; as if nothing is a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle."

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Location: I either live in eastern North Carolina, or I am a very, very lost person.

Postby tower07 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Tabula Rasa wrote:though that changed when I downloaded OOO.

OOO?
As in Kamen Rider OOO? (The guy on my signature)
I know I'm probably wrong, but it would be awesome to have a toku-buddy on here. ;)

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Haha. :P

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

I actually played Batman: Arkham Asylum 5 times over, I really enjoy that game(and Arkham City) alot for some reason, I never get bored of the story mode, but the challenges get a little repeditive when you're doing them over 100 times.
I'm getting bored of Skyrim now, but it definitly gave me my moneys worth, I'm almost out of quest so it's kind of a beat everything feeling..

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:41 am

I love just randomly running around Arkham City and pummeling inmates. Who cares about the story right now? Not me. :D

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13 am

I care about the story? 8D
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 am

Actually, the story is pretty darn awesome, but I love beating guys up.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 am

Not Me wrote:I care about the story? 8D

lol
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Return to General Discussion