Dark Souls

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Echo Magnum

Dark Souls

Postby Echo Magnum » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Any one else playing this? I currently rang the first bell. It was hell killing the Capra demon. Now I'm going to the depths to ring the second one, my friend tells me theirs a demon spider witch boss that spits lava.

I love this game although it kicks my ass alot -_- , that and theirs a lot of grinding, 20000 souls worth if you want to find Shiva the leader of the hunters and join their covenant, they have some sweet gear if you do though...

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Re: Dark Souls

Postby sicksniper256 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Echo Magnum wrote:Any one else playing this? I currently rang the first bell. It was hell killing the Capra demon. Now I'm going to the depths to ring the second one, my friend tells me theirs a demon spider witch boss that spits lava.

I love this game although it kicks my ass alot -_- , that and theirs a lot of grinding, 20000 souls worth if you want to find Shiva the leader of the hunters and join their covenant, they have some sweet gear if you do though...

Betray them by killing their ninja... gets you an awesome ninja flipping ring.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:30 pm

I was going to get this instead of Skyrim, but I fed into the hype instead. :P
It looks really interesting, and legitimately challenging (Something I take with a grain of salt ever since people said that about Dead Money for FO:NV. I thought it was good, but a challenge it was not).
How long does a typical playthrough last?

Echo Magnum

Postby Echo Magnum » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Also the ninja outfits sweet! I think its somewhere in blight-town if I recall. I wouldn't want to cross the hunters just yet, not untill I get myself those claws from Shiva and that huge freekin' Katana ( Morumasa or something ).

When you enter their "lare" though they go crazy on you, theirs some sorcerer guy I just cant seem to avoid his fatal soul arrow not to mention the spooks in their that are twice as hard just because theirs no way to lock on to them.
-----

I wont compare it with Skyrim as Dark Souls is more of a hardcore rpg, and its hell of challenging you wont get disappointed with the gut wrenching intense boss fights ( unlike some games with repetitive boss fights the AI here thinks on the fly and the majority of fights in general are unpredictable, enemies also work together to kill you ).

A general play though of the game is around 2 hours ( with some death ), to finish the entire game will take 60 hours if your either a pro or you've beat the game before and know exactly what to do ( sort of the same thing... ) if your like everybody else it will take more than 100 hours because its a very hard game.

I wont recommend it if you like more casual/typical rpg games. In that case you might want something more like Dragon Age or something.

The freekin' cover at the back says: PREPARE TO DIE! but don't let this frighten you its still a very exhilarating experience.

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Echo Magnum wrote:Also the ninja outfits sweet! I think its somewhere in blight-town if I recall. I wouldn't want to cross the hunters just yet, not untill I get myself those claws from Shiva and that huge freekin' Katana ( Morumasa or something ).

When you enter their "lare" though they go crazy on you, theirs some sorcerer guy I just cant seem to avoid his fatal soul arrow not to mention the spooks in their that are twice as hard just because theirs no way to lock on to them.
-----

I wont compare it with Skyrim as Dark Souls is more of a hardcore rpg, and its hell of challenging you wont get disappointed with the gut wrenching intense boss fights ( unlike some games with repetitive boss fights the AI here thinks on the fly and the majority of fights in general are unpredictable, enemies also work together to kill you ).

A general play though of the game is around 2 hours ( with some death ), to finish the entire game will take 60 hours if your either a pro or you've beat the game before and know exactly what to do ( sort of the same thing... ) if your like everybody else it will take more than 100 hours because its a very hard game.

I wont recommend it if you like more casual/typical rpg games. In that case you might want something more like Dragon Age or something.

The freekin' cover at the back says: PREPARE TO DIE! but don't let this frighten you its still a very exhilarating experience.

I haven't tried it since but I hear the latest patch allows you to lock on to them at close range like the thief's ring from Demon's Souls.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Darks Souls seems to be a really awesome game, I would totally buy it if it was for PC.
I believe that I'm not the only one feeling this way, everyone, please sing this petition :)

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:33 pm

oh wow, I am not even much of a PC gamer but just thinking of possible mods of it makes me want it so bad...

the best part about dark souls and demon's souls is the combat, it has action based combat without sacrificing the RPG elements; I would like to see something like this applied to an mmo

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:38 am

I'd get it if it wasn't for the fact that it is extremely hard. I get frustrated easily.

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Dark Souls PC

Postby sicksniper256 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 am

YES! YES! YEEEEEEWSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm

hahaha... if they were to make a sequel I would want it to buy it on PS3/Vita for the console and portability... AND PC for the modability... not many games can make me buy them twice... that would make me buy it 3 times!

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 pm

The game has a sequel called Demon Souls. :P

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm

haraldx wrote:The game has a sequel called Demon Souls. :P

Isn't it the other way around? :P
It also has no oxygen

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Adam wrote:Isn't it the other way around? :P

Possibly, I'm not much into console games. :P

Blaaargh, massive bump!
PC gamers rejoice! Or should we cry? God knows, the game is good, the PC port no so.
Last edited by haraldx on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 pm

haraldx wrote:
Adam wrote:Isn't it the other way around? :P

Possibly, I'm not much into console games. :P

Blaaargh, massive bump!
PC gamers rejoice! Or should we cry? God knows, the game is good, the PC port no so.

The PC version seems to almost require a controller, but I have no issue with that as I am comfortable with my DS3. The resolution options suck but there is a mod available for that. Didn't really expect much as I didn't get my hopes up on that but hey at least its not as bad as the PS3 port of Skyrim.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I picked up this game yesterday, which is why I haven't been around much in the last 18 or so hours. I bought it "new" from gamestop (shifty gamestop sold me a clearly pre-owned copy as "new", but whatever, it was only 20 bucks) and it's been draining away my time already. Apparently, I've played for seven hours so far, take 60 - 80 minutes to watch The Walking Dead season premiere (the game doesn't have a pause system). I'm finding the gameplay quite addictive.
I just reached the Capra Demon today. Aside from my horrific failure on Harvel the Rock, I haven't had any problems with the bosses so far. The first boss / asylum I beat without dying. With a little lightning damage and some skillful timing, the Taurus Demon was a piece of cake. The Bell Gargoyles, I didn't even need to try. However, this Capra Demon -- tossing my shit like crazy. I put it down for now, probably won't play it for a few days, not because it's difficult, but because I don't want to wear out the experience of the game already. :P
So far I don't think the game is very difficult. If you use pace and strategy, you shouldn't have much trouble with any of the enemies. Either I definitely worked up the difficulty in my head, or I've played my share of challenging games, 'cause once you actually play it, it's not bad at all.
The complaints about losing your souls when you die is not that serious. Even if you die, 9 out of 10 chances are you recover your souls. Even then, you're probably carrying enough souls that with 10 - 15 minutes of combat, you'll fully regain them. Besides, every time I've died, I felt it's been my fault. Accidentally rolled backwards, falling off a cliff; charge attacked when I should have light attacked; didn't double check that I killed all the enemies behind me, so I got backstabbed, etc. The game is very fair, you just have to play by it's rules. Use your shield, walk carefully, fight with strategy - things you should be doing in the first place. Perhaps the best way I can describe the challenge of this game is with a Full Metal Jacket quote:
Because I am hard you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn, I am hard, but I am fair.

To anyone who is afraid of getting this game because of the difficulty, don't worry about it. Again, it's not as bad as you think. If you're really that scared, by a pre-owned copy so you can return it if it's actually that bad for you.
Not sure if it's just my experience. I've been playing sword+shield / spear+shield with a bow. Dumping all my points into endurance and dexterity, and occasionally strength and vitality. Haven't run into much trouble yet, level 26.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 pm

I've never understood the appeal up really hard games.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Because when you're successful, the feeling is so satisfying. I've never felt so gratified from any video game before.

But then you remember you're in the world of Dark Souls, so you celebrate for about twenty seconds before you start looking around the corner for the next curveball. :P

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm the person that never got passed world 1 in New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Oh jeez. ;)

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Zhuge you sold me on this.

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm

I find it to be "not easy" rather than "hard" and honestly that's all I am really asking for. I am annoyed at most publishers pushing developers toward making games easy for more mass appeal out of fears that they would just get frustrated and quit.

I can't wait for the DLC and if you are looking for a "hard mode" (in the form of an item lol) here it is http://darksouls.wikidot.com/calamity-ring

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Hard games are fun. Unless you are talking NES hard or cheap hard. F.E.A.R. (shooter/boring horror) has a great sense of "Hard". If you play it on the highest dificulty, it really becomes interesting. Enemies are pretty much clones of you - they aim good, they traverse the map just like a player would, they do the exact amount of damage as you, but if you fail, you know it was because you didn't properly approach the situation (or the AI just outsmarted you by ambushing). When you do everything correctly and kill the bad guys with barely any loss of health, it gives you that "Heeeell yeah!" feeling, as if you did something more than just clear out an entire room of bad guys. If I get stuck somewhere in hard games I just take my hands off the keyboard and mouse and think for a second - What could I have done to prevent the death of my character? It becomes even more interesting when you figure it out and everything happens just as planned. It's kind of hard to explain, but it works and "rewards" you.

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:42 pm

haraldx wrote:Hard games are fun. Unless you are talking NES hard or cheap hard. F.E.A.R. (shooter/boring horror) has a great sense of "Hard". If you play it on the highest dificulty, it really becomes interesting. Enemies are pretty much clones of you - they aim good, they traverse the map just like a player would, they do the exact amount of damage as you, but if you fail, you know it was because you didn't properly approach the situation (or the AI just outsmarted you by ambushing). When you do everything correctly and kill the bad guys with barely any loss of health, it gives you that "Heeeell yeah!" feeling, as if you did something more than just clear out an entire room of bad guys. If I get stuck somewhere in hard games I just take my hands off the keyboard and mouse and think for a second - What could I have done to prevent the death of my character? It becomes even more interesting when you figure it out and everything happens just as planned. It's kind of hard to explain, but it works and "rewards" you.

That's exactly what I am talking about, that's how difficulty should be. It should be natural and not forced and punishes you for your mistakes. It doesn't have artificial difficulty that is created simply by tweaking enemy and player health.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Oh, hey, look at that! Dark Souls DLC is here. :D

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm

sicksniper256 wrote:
haraldx wrote:Hard games are fun. Unless you are talking NES hard or cheap hard. F.E.A.R. (shooter/boring horror) has a great sense of "Hard". If you play it on the highest dificulty, it really becomes interesting. Enemies are pretty much clones of you - they aim good, they traverse the map just like a player would, they do the exact amount of damage as you, but if you fail, you know it was because you didn't properly approach the situation (or the AI just outsmarted you by ambushing). When you do everything correctly and kill the bad guys with barely any loss of health, it gives you that "Heeeell yeah!" feeling, as if you did something more than just clear out an entire room of bad guys. If I get stuck somewhere in hard games I just take my hands off the keyboard and mouse and think for a second - What could I have done to prevent the death of my character? It becomes even more interesting when you figure it out and everything happens just as planned. It's kind of hard to explain, but it works and "rewards" you.

That's exactly what I am talking about, that's how difficulty should be. It should be natural and not forced and punishes you for your mistakes. It doesn't have artificial difficulty that is created simply by tweaking enemy and player health.

Sounds like Dishonored to me. That is what I call an enjoyably hard game.

Winterfeste

Postby Winterfeste » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 am

I'm still considering to buy the PC version. A friend of mine said it was to hard to play and another said it was to easy, so I guess it's based on your own opinion what the game is like but can anyone of you tell me how the gameplay is using the keyboard? I remember when I played Devil May Cry 4 on PS3 and liked it but the PC version with keyboard control wasn't Capcoms biggest invention in my eyes.

Short question: Should I buy an xbox controller side by side with Dark Souls or is the keyboard like Skyrim? ;)

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Finally beat the game today! 8D

What a hell of a ride. Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Frustrating at times, requires a lot of patience and persistence, but in the in, completely satisfying.

Well, that's one ending down. Now I need to do the Dark Lord ending. Might try a Magic-Heavy Weapon build this time around. I used literally zero spells / miracles this playthrough. :P

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Zhuge wrote:Finally beat the game today! 8D

What a hell of a ride. Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Frustrating at times, requires a lot of patience and persistence, but in the in, completely satisfying.

Well, that's one ending down. Now I need to do the Dark Lord ending. Might try a Magic-Heavy Weapon build this time around. I used literally zero spells / miracles this playthrough. :P

STR/INT build with Manus Cat and heavy weapon of your choice makes for a good Dark Mage.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna go STR/INT, sorceries. Lightning Claymore, then Moonlight Greatsword. :D

Oh right, forgot to update, I've already beaten the game a second time, as well as a NG+.

Well, time to go take a shower. These boxers are ruined.
Last edited by Zhuge on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

I played Demon's Souls to death when it came out. That one is my personal favorite. It's not nearly as good of a "game" but more of an experience. The world feels more atmospheric and connected.

Dark Souls is freakishly amazing though. They better not mess up the second, as this is one of my favorite franchises.
DOOF

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Relatively old thread, but I thought I'd post here because I recently got round to playing Dark Souls.
The game, while very challenging, was over-hyped by people for difficulty. People made it out to be "impossible" and not doable, when it wasn't. Game was tough overall, but not impossible. Particularly difficult bits of the game involved the Capra Demon, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo Archers, Ornstein and Smough, and the Tomb of the Giants.

I had a lot of fun with this game (completed it last week), and plan to do several more runthroughs to try a different approach to the game. I'd definitely recommend Dark Souls if you're into challenging game and RPGs in generals.

On a different note to Dark Souls, there have been videos of people speedrunning this game in just over half an hour. It's insane, they reach Anor Londo in about twenty minutes. They glitch half of the game though, once they get the Lordvessel they exploit a glitch which allows them to get into the final dungeon.
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

sicksniper256
001 Supporter

Postby sicksniper256 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Darkvoid wrote:Relatively old thread, but I thought I'd post here because I recently got round to playing Dark Souls.
The game, while very challenging, was over-hyped by people for difficulty. People made it out to be "impossible" and not doable, when it wasn't. Game was tough overall, but not impossible. Particularly difficult bits of the game involved the Capra Demon, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo Archers, Ornstein and Smough, and the Tomb of the Giants.

I had a lot of fun with this game (completed it last week), and plan to do several more runthroughs to try a different approach to the game. I'd definitely recommend Dark Souls if you're into challenging game and RPGs in generals.

On a different note to Dark Souls, there have been videos of people speedrunning this game in just over half an hour. It's insane, they reach Anor Londo in about twenty minutes. They glitch half of the game though, once they get the Lordvessel they exploit a glitch which allows them to get into the final dungeon.

The game's difficulty has been nerfed over time. One example is the forest before moonlight butterfly... those stone giants used to constantly revive after you kill them! If you have the original Dark Souls disk you can try playing un-patched and offline. If you have the Prepare to Die Edition then there isn't much you can do.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Pro-tip: You can run through most of Sens Fortress without fighting anything (helpful NG+ and onward, if you're not looking for items).
Even the area's boss, the Iron Golem, can be killed without fighting it if you summon Iron "MF'ing" Tarkus. Dude is a beast. ;)
NG+ he probably won't be able to kill it, but he'll be able to damage it immensely. What a bro.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 pm

It's been a while since I've last posted, but meh.

Currently on NG+4 on my main file, and 125 hours in. I've also recently achieved 1000/1000 Gamerscore for the game.
I've made other files for Dark Souls, but they're not as powered up as my main character (mainly because I haven't spent as much time on them). I've also been experimenting with speed runs on this game, seeing how quickly I can do the game. Just recently, I've made it to Sen's Fortress in about 40-45 minutes. By no means the best (speedrunners can reach Sen's Fortress in 15 minutes), but I still think that's quite quick.

sicksniper256 wrote:
Darkvoid wrote:Relatively old thread, but I thought I'd post here because I recently got round to playing Dark Souls.

The game's difficulty has been nerfed over time. One example is the forest before moonlight butterfly... those stone giants used to constantly revive after you kill them! If you have the original Dark Souls disk you can try playing un-patched and offline. If you have the Prepare to Die Edition then there isn't much you can do.

Ah, that's a shame. I have the Prepare to Die edition, so I can't play the unpatched version. I'd loved to have played the non-nerfed version as I love a good challenge. I heard that's not the only thing that's been nerfed in Dark Souls though, I've heard that Pyromancy has been nerfed as if you leveled it up you could destroy bosses almost instantly with it. However, even after the nerf, Pyromancy is very powerful and some still describe it as "broken."

Zhuge wrote:Pro-tip: You can run through most of Sens Fortress without fighting anything (helpful NG+ and onward, if you're not looking for items).
Even the area's boss, the Iron Golem, can be killed without fighting it if you summon Iron "MF'ing" Tarkus. Dude is a beast. ;)
NG+ he probably won't be able to kill it, but he'll be able to damage it immensely. What a bro.

Never knew about Iron Tarkus on my first runthrough. I took on Iron Golem without him, and somehow won first go. I repeatedly ran through his legs, slashed his legs when he wasn't slashing and ranged him when I was quite a distance away. Now, I just summon Tarkus because he can just tank him (even though it requires me to do some participation on NG+ and beyond), and I'm too lazy (scared more like) to fight him solo.
I've actually come to really appreciate Sen's Fortress. There are so many aspects to it, and so many parts of it to explore. It took me nearly 100 hours to realise that there's actually a bonfire in Sen's Fortress. Even after that I was still discovering new things about it.
On my first runthrough, there was something epic about climbing it, coming closer to Anor Londo as you climb and wondering how long the dungeon goes on for. I was a little disappointed when the dungeon ended after Iron Golem, for some reason I thought that the cliffs near Anor Londo were climbable and that I'd have to climb them to reach Anor Londo. Ah well.
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

Return to General Discussion