Unamed Project

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
RPGking
001 Forum Master

Unamed Project

Postby RPGking » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:50 am

As mnay of you know I've been gone for quite a while, but over that time I've thought about many 001 projects I could do, but, they all were, to say the least, garbage, or rubbish, at least through my perspective. So I've set out (once again) to create something ground-breaking, that will shake 001's community. It has no name, but the description should be enough.

Story: NO STORY AS OF NOW! But rest assured there will be a solid story. I can tell you this right now though, it will be an open world crime game. It is inspired by GTA IV, but I want to do something different than them, in ym own vision, this is in no way a GTA clone!

Graphics: The graphics i will be doing, as always, pixel by pixel. The city the game takes place in will be very clean, but very gritty at the same time, if you can envision what I am goign for. I may make my own sprites this time around.

*Sound: Will blow your conceptions of what can be done in an 001 game, I have every single sound needed for the game already, to windows breaking, to guns, even to a cup being set on a table. This aspect of sound is already done and in the project.

Effects: You can expect to see it all, plumes of smoke rising from a car thats just exploded, sparks when running into things, massive amounts of blood when shot, even vapor coming from a manhole.

The Point: I want to create something that can truly break the protoche of generic open world games, I want to get past, shoot this, drive that, and I will. I am already assembling a soundtrack for the game as well. It will be top notch like evrything else. I want you, the player to feel as much apart of this world, than the one you live in by using, sound, graphics, and mood to create a truly unique story, tone, and effect on you.

*Sound*
Since the game is more modern day, I will be using techno/pop music as a basis for trailers and in-game music. I have scoured the internet looking for these types of songs, but these are the songs you've never heard, becuase I pick out groups that are odd, foreign, that you've probably never heard of, but at the same time, songs that match the feel of the game and songs that I like...

So far we have:

Sinnerman- Heavenly Housecats Mix
Slyder- Neo Club Mix

Vehicles: The vehicles won't be the main aspect of the game, but will be the most stylish, sports cars and sedan are what I'm going for in this game.
Last edited by RPGking on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Unamed Project

Postby MIV » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 am

RPGking wrote:The Point: I want to create something that can truly break the protoche of generic open world games, I want to get past, shoot this, drive that, and I will. I am already assembling a soundtrack for the game as well. It will be top notch like evrything else. I want you, the player to feel as much apart of this world, than the one you live in by using, sound, graphics, and mood to create a truly unique story, tone, and effect on you.

Somehow, from your description, it's remniscient of GTA, although I won't draw that conclusion until you've formulated your story.
I'm not too sure story-wise, but if I were you, I'd work on the scripting aspect of the game. Try to create new scripts that were previously unheard of, maybe advanced combat AI, some drive-by shooting and all.
Do you have any other gameplay details such as setting and characters involved as of now?
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:06 am

There's little detail about gameplay. It's no game if there is no gameplay. I don't care how much immersion I get otherwise, if I don't get to do things, I'm not getting this. And from your description, music and sounds seems to me, like some ambitious project otherwise.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:37 am

Please, don't count your chickens before they hatch. I won't say this is delusional, really, but if this was an idea, it would go better in the Game Ideas thread. The least you can do right now is to formulate a decent background information.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:17 pm

I see there are mixed feelings about my project, this is not a GTA clone, though inspired from GTA IV. You see, heres the reason for the project. Whenever a open world game is released online, specifically on this site, the first thing out of someoens mouth is GTA, while GTA is fun, I am beggingin to tire of some of the conventions of GTA, steal this, shoot that, run from this. I want to completely reinvent the wheel for open world crime games, maybe not on such a large scale fan wise, but site wise, changing peoples opinions about what can really be done with an open word crime game, and what can really be done using 001 graphically and scriptwise. I hope I've changed soem of your opinions on my project, this is my vision of the open world crime game, not a phoney vision taken directly from another crime game.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:19 pm

RPGking wrote:I see there are mixed feelings about my project, this is not a GTA clone, though inspired from GTA IV. You see, heres the reason for the project. Whenever a open world game is released online, specifically on this site, the first thing out of someoens mouth is GTA, while GTA is fun, I am beggingin to tire of some of the conventions of GTA, steal this, shoot that, run from this. I want to completely reinvent the wheel for open world crime games, maybe not on such a large scale fan wise, but site wise, changing peoples opinions about what can really be done with an open word crime game, and what can really be done using 001 graphically and scriptwise. I hope I've changed soem of your opinions on my project, this is my vision of the open world crime game, not a phoney vision taken directly from another crime game.

The point is, get a decent plot, get a screenshot and we won't bug you on GTA no more. (Unless your idea of a 'decent plot' is almost identical to GTA or similar free-roam games.)
You talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Exactly what I expeted from MIV, I talk the talk, and I WILL walk the walk, the question is, will you be there when I do.

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Touche.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:28 pm

It seems ambitious to most, but where I'm coming from, and if you understand my intention, it really isn't, its very simple. Counting aside the multitudes of graphics, sounds, etc.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:29 pm

RPGking wrote:Exactly what I expeted from MIV, I talk the talk, and I WILL walk the walk, the question is, will you be there when I do.

Depends on whether you can pick yourself off your feet.
Alright, it's actually very simple. Just do a plot update, show us a screenshot and we'll understand more from there. If you need help for the plot, you can always ask.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 pm

I'm not concerned about plot at this very moment, only getting my point across to you guys, right now, AT THIS VERY MOMENT, plot is the least of my worries.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:35 pm

RPGking wrote:I'm not concerned about plot at this very moment, only getting my point across to you guys, right now, AT THIS VERY MOMENT, plot is the least of my worries.

Okay, I'm not going to go into one long argument as to what your game contains. If you want to get your point across, show evidence that your game is under progress. And please, I understand it's not a GTA clone, but somebody who reads this entire topic won't unless you show that it isn't. I can't prove that this is a GTA clone, but you're going to have to prove that your game is not.

Scaveleon wrote:There's little detail about gameplay. It's no game if there is no gameplay.

All we people ask for is to tell us what your game is about. Who is involved? What exactly do you do?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:37 pm

I've given you a description about gameplay minus the charcaters and plot, I'll work on it though. ;)

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:37 pm

RPGking wrote:I've given you a description about gameplay minus the charcaters and plot, I'll work on it though. ;)

Please do. We're anticipating an update.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Alas, rest assured, you'll get your update, devising a story already, working on graphics so I'll have some charcaters and screens soon, just hang in there.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:30 pm

I don't understand the negativity here. Not all good games have good stories. And yes, it's helpful to have one, but this seems more like a gameplay-based game, which isn't all that bad, and we have perfect examples of such on our games seciton that have performed decently well.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Mike wrote:Not all good games have good stories. And yes, it's helpful to have one, but this seems more like a gameplay-based game, which isn't all that bad, and we have perfect examples of such on our games seciton that have performed decently well.

I agree on this.
Mike wrote:I don't understand the negativity here.

My problem here is that he is presenting a project a way to make sure it isn't gonna be critisized, and meanwhile bringing subjective opinions in an attempt to impress an audience. Point is, I don't like his description, it should be objective and neutral.

His last demo game promised a next version that never arrived. I don't have a problem with that, at all. Also, countless have said "This project for real this time", only to find that it really isn't for real, only too late. No problem with that either, but it means he's not holding own promises, which is why I really distrust the game description and its promises.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Okay, well give him a chance to make up for his past broken promises. I mean, I understand and agree, but I was more referring to MIV's comments.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 pm

I've given my reply. It's in your inbox as we speak.
Enough of the flame war, though. Let him develop on the project in peace.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:03 pm

Moved to game ideas forum until you have a name and fleshed out more details about your games, as the others have correctly suggested.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:39 pm

I have no problem with that. But I do want to address, while I didn't intent on a story, I have one that I will post tomorrow, because I'm in school at the moment. I am also making the move to 3d, as in 3d graphics, meaning instead of doing it pixel by pixel in GIMP, I will model them in 3d, and put them in the game, I have modelled so far, a light pole, and a mailbox with 3 different versions. ;)

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Rendered 3D images? Hmm... when you're ready can you kindly show them?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:04 pm

yes I can show the 3d images to you, in a bit! I need to find an exporter that sizes the screen capture I took for the model to be included in the game. So instead of stretching the model to fit 001s native size, I can simply type what I want and make it fit instead of distorting the model as a whole.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 am

Doesn't your 3D modelling software have a rendering feature? If so, why not render it as a PNG, then use another photo-editing software to resize it? It's not very distorting that way.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:16 pm

I could, and I am, thanks miv, lot of productivity now especially in the graphics, I will be making my own 32 bit textures to add to the buildings and objects I make.

Bryan93
001 Supporter

Postby Bryan93 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:27 pm

i think the problem with driving games is the limited places they can go, so if your trying to break the rules in open world that would be awesome.

about the cars. it sounds like any other game that has cars, sports cars and sedans (i havent seen many stations in gran turismo let alone nfs and forza) you should try to add some stations to and minivans can also be fun to drive. because in real life not everyone drives the fastest sports cars or the most luxurious sedans.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:53 pm

You obviosuly didn't read the description very well. ;)

Its not very real to life and its a unique game meaning not everythign will be perfect. This is my rendition of a more modern city that is ery glamourous for lack of a better term.

Also, let this topic die until Im ready to bring it back. :D

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design