Maps & Interfaces not saved

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Maps & Interfaces not saved

Postby JimmySterylian » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:17 pm

I've encountered this issue a couple of times in the past but now it's becoming a lot more frequent, unbearable and simply hinders me from continuing my game.

So, what happens is that when I'm making changes to a map or interface and try to move to another section, the message asking me if I wanna save changes pops up, if I click yes, it just disappears, doesn't move me to the wanted section, nor does it save the map/interface.
Ctrl + S also does not work.

It is noteworthy that this appears to happen mostly on maps and interfaces that have a lot of events inside scripts, whether it be actors, triggers, fields etc. I literally cannot make a change on an interface that has that many scripts inside. Should I send a bug report?

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Re: Maps & Interfaces not saved

Postby dragonnutds » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:51 pm

you still have lots of disk space right?

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:11 pm

dragonnutds wrote:you still have lots of disk space right?

I also get this issue now and again and i have 152GB left though i tend to get a full scrash out a few seconds after, but yes saving for me also stops working now and again.

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:50 pm

I recall a similar situation happening at least a couple times, though it's been a long time and I was never able to recreate it after it happened. But if it happens again, to try to save some of your work, exit using alt-f4 or ctrl-alt-delete, reload 001 and go back to the the map and it should ask you to load a auto backup. I imagine a bug report would be most useful if you could set up a situation where it happened every time.

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 am

Kilatorian wrote:I recall a similar situation happening at least a couple times, though it's been a long time and I was never able to recreate it after it happened. But if it happens again, to try to save some of your work, exit using alt-f4 or ctrl-alt-delete, reload 001 and go back to the the map and it should ask you to load a auto backup. I imagine a bug report would be most useful if you could set up a situation where it happened every time.

No means available for saving work. And if I completely exit 001 and open it again, that message for auto back up will not appear. Guess I'm sending a bug report.
Last edited by JimmySterylian on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 am

If you can nail this down with specific reproduction steps then this would be most helpful. I've never experienced this problem with Maps/Interfaces in all the time I've used 001 but I have noticed a problem with the built-in Graphics Editor that sounds similar to what you're saying (save pop up does nothing). Except in that instance, the graphics editor can't be closed at all after that and you have to force close 001. I've not yet figured out what causes this problem but it's possible they're related to one another. Again, it's just a matter of finding reproduction steps so we can fix it.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:09 am

After attempting many times to save changes, the "Run-time error '7': Out of memory" message may appear and crash the editor, so it could be related to that as well.

Kilatorian
001 Support

Postby Kilatorian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 am

Kilatorian wrote:...to try to save some of your work...

I should have worded it, "In an attempt to recover your work..". For me every time I tried to change map or exit it would ask me again if I wanted to save, and of course clicking Yes had no effect, it wouldn't save the map and it wouldn't even exit the program, so the only other option was clicking No. So instead of clicking No I would ctrl-alt-delete, and then it would load a backup (of course not always 100% where I was, but it worked the couple times I had to do this).

And now that you mention the out of memory error, how much ram do you have? I have 14GB now, I only had 6 before I upgraded my computer and I don't believe I've had this problem since.

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:44 am

I have 4GB RAM. However, I have monitored my RAM's usage and it doesn't seem to go over 2,5 GB. I'm gonna test the method you told me now to see if it will be able to recover anything.

EDIT: Nope, I tried a couple of times but it didn't work.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:56 am

Sometimes the use of anti virus or file backup can cause issues like this. Otherwise, not really sure what to suggest but to pay attention to what you do that triggers things to not save.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:03 am

JimmySterylian wrote:After attempting many times to save changes, the "Run-time error '7': Out of memory" message may appear and crash the editor, so it could be related to that as well.

Thats the error i get! Plenty of memory still available as well.

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:15 am

Mike wrote:Sometimes the use of anti virus or file backup can cause issues like this. Otherwise, not really sure what to suggest but to pay attention to what you do that triggers things to not save.

I disabled the anti-varius protection and it still occured. I can't really tell what exactly triggers it, and I think what I said about the interface having too many scripts may not be true in the end, I copied and pasted the 1ui and BAK files onto another game and didn't have any issues at all.
The thing that pisses me off at the moment is that I just have to change the script of a field and then I'm 100% done with my game :lol: (excluding final minor touches and bug fixes).

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am

JimmySterylian wrote:
Mike wrote:Sometimes the use of anti virus or file backup can cause issues like this. Otherwise, not really sure what to suggest but to pay attention to what you do that triggers things to not save.

I disabled the anti-varius protection and it still occured. I can't really tell what exactly triggers it, and I think what I said about the interface having too many scripts may not be true in the end, I copied and pasted the 1ui and BAK files onto another game and didn't have any issues at all.
The thing that pisses me off at the moment is that I just have to change the script of a field and then I'm 100% done with my game :lol: (excluding final minor touches and bug fixes).

I don't suppose you're using custom events at the time and come out of them or recently been in the custom events area within the past 5 minutes?

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:30 am

Okay, yesterday I finished building my new crazy strong PC and this problem no longer persists so it's most likely a hardware related issue.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:30 am

JimmySterylian wrote:Okay, yesterday I finished building my new crazy strong PC and this problem no longer persists so it's most likely a hardware related issue.

Would you be willing to share your previous hardware details? I can then post mine.

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:57 am

RAM: 4GB
CPU Model and Speed: Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Video Card: ATI RADEON 512 MB

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:30 am

Just wanted to give an update here. I was able to reproduce the problem I was having with the Graphics Editor (relating to this save problem) and Mike was able to fix it for the next version. He tells me this would have affected other systems so I believe this issue has been resolved for the next version.

Jimmy, if you have access to the dropbox beta (and are using it) then you'd already have this fix in place.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Return to Technical Support Questions